PDA

View Full Version : Drivers Running Out of Gas More Often

oregonpackfan
06-02-2008, 09:59 AM
This is an excellent article about people not filling up their gas tanks because of the rising price of gas. The result is more people are having their cars run out of gas on the roads.

Drivers putting less gas in tank, then running out
2 hours ago

Brent Saba had just dropped a church group off at Philadelphia International Airport on Sunday morning and was heading north on Interstate 95 when it happened: His 15-passenger van ran out of gas.

Saba, a 24-year-old church pastor, made it to the shoulder just past the Ben Franklin Bridge and waited more than 30 minutes for someone to stop and lend him a cell phone. Then he waited a while longer for AAA to arrive with fuel.

With gas prices hovering at $4 a gallon, motorists like Saba are putting less fuel in their tanks — then coming up empty on the highway.

Though national statistics on out-of-gas motorists don't exist, there's plenty of anecdotal evidence that drivers unwilling or unable to fill 'er up are gambling by keeping their tanks extremely low on fuel.

In the Philadelphia area, where the average price for a gallon of regular broke $4 on Friday, calls from out-of-gas AAA members doubled between May 2007 and May 2008, from 81 to 161, the auto club reported.

"The number one reason is they can't stretch their money out from week to week," said Gary Siley, the AAA mobile technician who helped Saba.

"Some of them are embarrassed. ... They say, 'I was trying to make it till Friday,' and they couldn't do it," said Siley, who has assisted numerous out-of-gas motorists.

Saba blames himself for not paying enough attention to the fuel gauge, saying he doesn't normally let the tank get so low. But he said the spiraling cost of gas has led the church to reduce its use of the fuel-guzzling van.

And when he does get gas, he puts in only a half-tank.

"If the prices were lower, I'd probably just fill it up," Saba said.

Research from The Nielsen Co. shows that drivers have been making more frequent trips to the pump but limiting how much they put in the tank.

Convenience stores, which sell about 80 percent of the nation's gas, are seeing fewer fill-ups, said industry spokesman Jeff Lenard.

"When the pump hits a certain dollar amount now, you're seeing more customers stop," said Lenard, with the National Association of Convenience Stores. "They're purchasing fewer gallons."

And that means playing Russian roulette with the gas gauge.

In Dallas, Courtesy Patrol — a roadside assistance program operated by the sheriff's department — reports a doubling in the number of daily fuel calls from stranded motorists in recent months. Sheriff Lupe Valdez herself recently came to the aid of a mother and her two children who had run out of gas along an interstate.

In some cases, motorists have gotten stuck in the middle of the highway, creating a dangerous situation, said Lonnie Lankford, a Courtesy Patrol shift leader. "It's just breaking the backs of the people, these gas prices," he said.

Transportation officials in Oregon and Tennessee also report increasing numbers of stranded motorists in need of gas.

AAA Mid-Atlantic, which has nearly 4 million members in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia and the District of Columbia, reported a 15 percent year-over-year increase in calls from members with empty tanks.

"We're seeing a lot of frustrated motorists who are trying to cut corners, and this is one way they're doing it," said AAA Mid-Atlantic spokeswoman Catherine Rossi. "But they're shooting themselves in the foot, or the wallet, in the long run."

That's because perpetually running on fumes can damage a car's fuel pump — requiring repairs that make a full tank of $4 gas seem like a bargain.

As for Saba, he was just thankful he made it back to North Philadelphia in time for his 11:30 a.m. church service.

"What I was thinking to myself was, at least the weather's nice," he said. "It was beautiful outside and that made things a lot better."

bobblehead
06-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Though national statistics on out-of-gas motorists don't exist, there's plenty of anecdotal evidence that drivers unwilling or unable to fill 'er up are gambling by keeping their tanks extremely low on fuel.

Not to belabor the point, but this is typical journalism....this entire piece is an opinion based on anecdotal evidence...and being offered up as some big trend.

hoosier
06-02-2008, 12:22 PM

Not to belabor the point, but this is typical journalism....this entire piece is an opinion based on anecdotal evidence...and being offered up as some big trend.

Are you expecting reporters to have access to real-time scientific studies of consumer trends at the gas pumps? Given that the topic is how rapidly rising fuel prices are affecting consumers' states of mind, I'd say anecdotal evidence is probably quite appropriate.

bobblehead
06-02-2008, 12:26 PM
delete: I guess he did cite a few things that were relavent in making his piece, but his article was nothing more than a gripe piece and I guess that is what irked me.

HarveyWallbangers
06-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Who gives a sh!t.

retailguy
06-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Who gives a sh!t.

LOL.

My thoughts exactly.

If you choose to not fill up, then I guess you choose the consequences of that....

Nah, What kind of thinking is that? :twisted:

Deputy Nutz
06-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Who gives a sh!t.

Just say "shit". God is going to strike you down anyways for just pretending to say shit.

bobblehead
06-02-2008, 06:57 PM
I guess that was my real point, that the entire article was pointless. Someone upset about high gas prices wrote a gripe piece.

News alert, its raining out and now less people are going outside...

hoosier
06-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Who gives a sh!t.

LOL.

My thoughts exactly.

If you choose to not fill up, then I guess you choose the consequences of that....

Somehow I don't think "choice" is the operative factor in everyone's gas buying strategy these days. Maybe that was part of the point of the article??? :roll:

MadtownPacker
06-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Maybe the article is referring to people who barely make it from check to check. Seems like this would affect them most.

Man, I sure miss the good old days of $3.00 a gallon. :D

HarveyWallbangers
06-02-2008, 08:43 PM
I can't believe somebody got paid to write that article.

the_idle_threat
06-02-2008, 08:46 PM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/the_idle_threat/haha.jpg

LL2
06-02-2008, 09:28 PM
I sawa guy pushing his big pickup truck off to the side of the road today and couldn't help but think its got to cost $100 bucks to fill that up only to have it last 3 or 4 days. Say you only make $500 a week after taxes, that's 20% of your income. The high cost of gas has to be tough on some families.

GrnBay007
06-02-2008, 09:30 PM
I've been keeping track for the last few weeks and I can make it a week on $35 :D

retailguy
06-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Who gives a sh!t.

LOL.

My thoughts exactly.

Somehow I don't think "choice" is the operative factor in everyone's gas buying strategy these days. Maybe that was part of the point of the article??? :roll:

Hoosier, I got the point. Believe me, we're inundated with this stuff right now. Are some people affected? Of course. However, many more are affected because of stupid choices that they made.

Do I feel sorry for the guy LL2 watched push his truck out of the road? Probably not. Maybe he just had a bad day. Happens to all of us. Maybe, he bought something, or modded something he couldn't afford. Bad choice, but he put himself in it.

Do I feel sorry for the single mom waitress making $7.00 an hour? Yes, theres an impact there that could break the camel's back. Every economic circumstance has people that are severely impacted. Most of us are just inconvenienced.

But, c'mon, featuring the story on a preacher who didn't fill up on the way to the airport? Sheez. If the church can't afford to fill the van, maybe one of the parishoners should have taken the person there. And, who gets on the freeway without enough gas? Couldn't that be poor planning in most cases?

There's another side to all of this, that gets minimized and ignored... Personal responsibility is a factor too.