PDA

View Full Version : Bits of news from around the NFL

Guiness
06-02-2008, 07:18 PM
It's slow...going ons - field related and not - from around the NFL. I get most of my football fix from this site now, and sometime fall behind on what's going on in the rest of the league.

Pacman Jones cleared to work out with Cowboys
I didn't think Goodell would let him back in that quickly - or easily

Marshawn Lynch's SUV involved in hit and run
How glad are we now that we didn't get this guy. They're saying they don't know if he was in the vehicle, but there were rumblings of behavior problems before the draft

Broncos Cut Travis Henry
Thinking he's done - can't seem to stick anymore, and problems galore following him[/quote]

packers11
06-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Cowboys signed WR Terrell Owens to a four-year, $34 million contract. The deal contains $13 million guaranteed, including a $12.9 million signing bonus.

KYPack
06-02-2008, 09:12 PM
It's slow...going ons - field related and not - from around the NFL. I get most of my football fix from this site now, and sometime fall behind on what's going on in the rest of the league.

Pacman is cleared to work out & play...in pre-season.

Goodell won't rule on his re-instatement until Sept. They are trying to make sure he keeps his, er, nose clean.

The Bengals Odell Thurman failed a drug test and faces permanent ban. The Bengals had already cut him, so I ain't real sure how that works, but it's on the radio down here.

swede
06-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Cowboys signed WR Terrell Owens to a four-year, $34 million contract. The deal contains $13 million guaranteed, including a $12.9 million signing bonus.

I'll give Mr. Jones credit. He brought the 'boys back pretty quickly by sucking bad enough to get some draft picks and then spending $ in free agency. But I think of his team like a cartoon of some overheating machine that is swelling up, bouncing around, leaking steam, popping rivets and all ready to blow apart after Romo has caught Pacman's entourage stuffing singles in Jessica's thong and TO has flown to Las Vegas to marry four of the Dallas Cowgirl cheerleaders.

The Cowboys are crazy-ass enough to really be the modern version of America's team.

CaliforniaCheez
06-03-2008, 07:04 AM
Mark Roman had shoulder surgery but will be ready to go for training camp.

privatepacker
06-03-2008, 08:00 AM

Pacman is cleared to work out & play...in pre-season.

Goodell won't rule on his re-instatement until Sept. They are trying to make sure he keeps his, er, nose clean.

The Bengals Odell Thurman failed a drug test and faces permanent ban. The Bengals had already cut him, so I ain't real sure how that works, but it's on the radio down here.

It's too bad that a player as good as Odell can't realize his opportunity to leave that life behind is probably gone forever.

Guiness
06-03-2008, 12:34 PM

This happened to some other player last year, I think...he's not under contract, so theoretically isn't part of the NFL...yet they can drug test him, and suspend him based on the results?

Anyone remember how this works? Or did the test occur before he was cut?

sharpe1027
06-03-2008, 01:22 PM

This happened to some other player last year, I think...he's not under contract, so theoretically isn't part of the NFL...yet they can drug test him, and suspend him based on the results?

You can be asked to take a drug test before you are given a job...

KYPack
06-03-2008, 02:32 PM

He was re-instated, then cut mysteriously.

Most observers down here figured he had failed a wiz quiz or something.

He's real over now.

St. Vince
06-03-2008, 04:34 PM

Thank God! This will be his year.

KYPack
06-03-2008, 05:34 PM

Thank God! This will be his year.

Really.

Ya wouldn't think a shoulder injury would hurt Roman's game one way or the other.

GrnBay007
06-09-2008, 11:38 PM
KIRKLAND, Wash. (AP) - Coach Mike Holmgren missed the Seattle Seahawks' minicamp practice Monday with what a team spokesman emphasized was a minor medical procedure of an undisclosed nature.

Holmgren is expected to be back on the field leading drills Tuesday. Holmgren, who turns 60 on Sunday, has declared this will be his 10th and final year leading Seattle.

GrnBay007
06-09-2008, 11:44 PM
T.O. not worried about missing random drug test

IRVING, Texas (AP) - Terrell Owens acknowledged Monday having missed a random drug test several weeks ago, blaming it on a "communication problem involving cell phone numbers."

He also said he was in New York last week talking about his absence with league officials the day he agreed to a $34 million new contract with the Dallas Cowboys.

Owens was not suspended or fined, although he could've been, according to ESPN.com, which first reported the story, citing NFL, team and player sources. The report also said Owens now could face up to 24 tests per year as part of the league's "reasonable cause" testing program for performance-enhancing drugs.

"I'm not really worried about anything," Owens said Monday afternoon in an interview with The Associated Press. "It's not a big deal. Anything I do is going to grab headlines. I have nothing to hide. I've made a statement and that's it. It's basically a dead issue."

In the rest of the statement, Owens said, "It was openly discussed and cleared up in a meeting that I had at the NFL office last week. I have been in the NFL for over 12 years and have never had a positive test for substance of any kind. That includes tests that took place as recently as last month. The matter was resolved to everyone's satisfaction last Tuesday, and everyone has moved on."

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones also released a statement in which he referred to the testing issue as "a procedural matter that was resolved last week."

"We were aware of all of the facts prior to Terrell's meeting in New York, and we had no reservations about extending his contract," Jones said. "We make those decisions based upon our knowledge of a player over the course of his entire career. We signed Terrell to the new contract because there are no issues with Terrell."

Owens received a $7 million bonus and a $27 million, three-year extension that keeps him with the Cowboys through 2011, the season he turns 38. The deal was agreed to last Monday while Owens was in New York, then signed when he arrived in Dallas the next day.

At the news conference about the contract, Owens mentioned having been in meetings at the league office. He called it "just taking care of business." Pressed further, he said, "It was fine. ... It was minor."

According to ESPN.com, the phone number Owens gave testers as his primary contact belonged to his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, and that an alternate phone number was answered by a voice mailbox that was full. Rosenhaus and his brother-business partner, Jason, were with Owens in New York last week.

For all the outlandish things surrounding Owens in his career, most have stemmed from his flamboyant personality - such as squabbles with teammates and coaches, complaints about contracts and even a risque skit with one of TV's "Desperate Housewives." Two years ago, he made headlines for what police initially considered a suicide attempt, but later was classified as an "accidental overdose" on prescription medicine.

bobblehead
06-10-2008, 12:23 AM
just another case of TO thinking the rules apply to everyone but him and then being upset that nobody understands him.

MadtownPacker
06-10-2008, 02:32 AM
Maybe this is why that steriod dealer got whacked.

Guiness
06-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Lecharles Bentley was realeased by Cleveland. After 2 years, no downs played, and approx $16 million paid, his days as a Brown are done.