PDA

View Full Version : Jason Taylor

Tony Oday
06-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Would you give up a 4th round pick next year for 1 year with this guy?

I would say yes for the following reasons: 1. He can teach our young guys some moves. Listening to the Viking linemen they are learning a ton from Allen. 2nd he can really STILL take over a game and putting him and Kamp on the line with Jenkins chasing the QB they will be scared!. 3. Just being a Vet on the team can help.

We wouldnt want him because he is a one year rent a player MAYBE two. Really though how much younger does the team need to get?

Thoughts?

packers11
06-02-2008, 08:10 PM
a fourth... yea... we used a 4th for cory rodgers and he didn't even make the team... Its not like T.T. won't have enough picks... :lol:

anything more... No... He only wants to play one year... But he might be the player that would put the packers over the "hump"

red
06-02-2008, 08:12 PM
i would say no

anything they could learn from taylor they could easily learn from AK

plus, taylor seems to be more focused on his next career, right now. thats not what we need

plus a 4th rounder is really like 5-7ths and a 6th for tt. so would you trade 6 draft picks for a guy thats only going to play one year?

Rastak
06-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Yea, for a 4th it's a no-brainer.

MadtownPacker
06-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Unstoppable DLs take over games IMO. The Superbowl was the latest example.

I like the rotation used last year by the DL. It kept them stronger into the 4th quarter. Taylor would only make them even more stronger. Hell yes to a 4th and if Favre was still here I would say a 3rd even.

Rastak
06-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Unstoppable DLs take over games IMO. The Superbowl was the latest example.

I like the rotation used last year by the DL. It kept them stronger into the 4th quarter. Taylor would only make them even more stronger. Hell yes to a 4th and if Favre was still here I would say a 3rd even.

Hey, avatar rocks Mad.....

MadtownPacker
06-02-2008, 08:49 PM
You like the Packers gear? :D

Rastak
06-02-2008, 08:53 PM
You like the Packers gear? :D

I like the gun and the pendejo.... :lol:

KYPack
06-02-2008, 09:15 PM
How bout a 6th? Think we could get him for that? Taylor fucked up by announcing he's only gonna play one more year. Bet Big Bill is pissed about him shooting off his mouthlike that.

Tony Oday
06-02-2008, 09:21 PM
I think it would be amazing having him. AK is a stud however he isnt elite. Taylor is an elite pass rusher...maybe he could actually show KGB another move ;)

LL2
06-02-2008, 09:24 PM
I would give a 3rd for Taylor.

HarveyWallbangers
06-02-2008, 09:37 PM
For one year? No way I'd give up a 3rd.

Tony Oday
06-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Heck a third would be ok if he gets 12 sacks :)

HarveyWallbangers
06-02-2008, 11:23 PM
We've had hits and misses in the 3rd round, but I'd take some of the guys we have drafted in round 3 for 5-6 years over Taylor for 1 year.

1992 Robert Brooks
1993 Earl Dotson
1995 Antonio Freeman, Brian Williams, William Henderson
1996 Mike Flanagan, Tyrone Williams
1999 Mike McKenzie

I'll skip the Sherman draft picks because we missed on every single 3rd round pick chosen by Sherman. I have faith that Thompson will do a better job. Hard to judge his 3rd round picks, but Jason Spitz, James Jones, and Aaron Rouse have all shown some promise.

Wolf hit on about 60% of his 3rd round picks. Guys that became solid starters for several years. I don't think you give that up for a guy for one year. And at 34 years old and with a new team, I'm not sure it's a lock that Taylor remains a stud for that one year. Probably, but a lot of guys have lost it around that age.

Maybe for a 4th round pick.

Brandon494
06-02-2008, 11:49 PM
We are talking about a futre HOFer who would make our D-line one of the best in the league. Of course he is worth a #3, but we all know TT will never make that trade.

Fritz
06-03-2008, 07:24 AM
A fourth. No more.

The Leaper
06-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Well, if Taylor escapes Miami I would think he might suddenly rethink his "one year" stance.

I would certainly trade a 4th rounder for Taylor. The guy is a little over a year removed from a DPOY season. He would instantly upgrade our pass rush into an elite unit. We saw what happened with the Giants last year with a great DL.

Packnut
06-03-2008, 08:56 AM
I'd go with a 4th rd pick. I see it as a no lose situation. Even if only for a year, he makes us a better team.

alquaal
06-03-2008, 09:01 AM
We are talking about a futre HOFer who would make our D-line one of the best in the league. Of course he is worth a #3, but we all know TT will never make that trade.

I dont know, TT is anything but predictable. An unstoppable D-Line might give A-Rod a little more room for error.

Deputy Nutz
06-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Will he be happy being a part time player? Will he like being in a rotation where he might sit a whole series? I don't know but I wouldn't give up anything more than a 4th round selection. I don't like how is going about his business right now. The guy wants to be an actor, fine go let him be an actor. I question his passion about football right now. What kind of football player states that he is only going to play one more year, especially when he thinks he is still playing at a top level? He is more worried about getting his pretty little face banged up than beating offensive tackles and wrecking QBs.

On the positive he knows the system, he can come right in and be a factor. He makes comparable to KGB.

pbmax
06-03-2008, 09:14 AM
While I might part with a fourth to rent Taylor, I feel comfortable pointing out that T2 probably doesn't agree.

The Leaper
06-03-2008, 10:39 AM
What kind of football player states that he is only going to play one more year, especially when he thinks he is still playing at a top level?

Brett Favre isn't playing ANY more years, even when he is still playing at a top level.

Taylor is stuck on a pathetic Dolphins team that can't possibly contend for even a simple division title for another 3-4 years...considering how strong the Patriots are. I would fully expect him to be relatively ho-hum regarding his football future in that scenario. I would be too.

I'm guessing his tune changes if he is placed with a team that can be legitimately labeled a title contender. Besides, when has Jason Taylor EVER shown up out of shape or played with a lack of focus? I don't see the need to question the guy's attitude or work ethic simply because he was on Dancing with the Stars in the offseason and skipped a VOLUNTARY workout.

Where's your bitching on Packer players who skipped a voluntary workout, Nutz? Can they not be counted on now? Strahan missed the entire preseason last year...it really hindered him from getting a ring, didn't it?

rbaloha1
06-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Despite losing BF the Packers are still on the verge of the super bowl.

JT is still a big time talent. KGB is injured.

Trade for JT (even a third rounder is fine.) Salary cap is fine. Move Cullen Jenkins inside.

The pass rush changes from good to spectacular rivaling the Reggie White and Sean Jones combo.

Teams are unable to double team both ends. The bump and run coverage also improves.

This is the type of move that elevates a very good team to a super bowl winner.

texaspackerbacker
06-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Nothing has been said here about how much money he is scheduled to make. Yeah, I know we have the came room--so did the Brewers for Eric Gagne (yes, I know there's no cap in baseball. There's no crying either, but I'm sure crying about Gagne.) If Taylor gets paid big money and fails miserably, even if you can afford it, it's bad for morale, etc.

If there was a strong chance that Taylor still had something in the tank, a 4th round pick would be reasonable and a high salary would be tolerable. But that better be damn near a sure thing for the Packers to go after him. It sure ain't like we need another body or even just another decent player at DE. If he ain't still superstar quality, forget him.

Packerarcher
06-03-2008, 09:34 PM
IMO this would be the kind of move the Packers should make IF they still had Favre at the helm. Then I believe they could really make a legit run. With AROD no way,not this year anyway and more than likely never.

Tarlam!
06-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Despite losing BF the Packers are still on the verge of the super bowl.

JT is still a big time talent. KGB is injured.

Trade for JT (even a third rounder is fine.) Salary cap is fine. Move Cullen Jenkins inside.

The pass rush changes from good to spectacular rivaling the Reggie White and Sean Jones combo.

Teams are unable to double team both ends. The bump and run coverage also improves.

This is the type of move that elevates a very good team to a super bowl winner.

We're only a contender if A-Rod pans out, doesn't get injured.

Even having Reggie, the Pack needed more than just one year to win the Big Dance and lost the year after.

I disagree with most of what you wrote here,

Bretsky
06-04-2008, 12:39 AM
IMO this would be the kind of move the Packers should make IF they still had Favre at the helm. Then I believe they could really make a legit run. .

:bclap:

GrnBay007
06-04-2008, 01:51 AM
IMO this would be the kind of move the Packers should make IF they still had Favre at the helm. Then I believe they could really make a legit run. .

:bclap:

....and if they wanted to make a legit run with Favre at the helm.

:shock: ohmygosh, did I just say that???

twoseven
06-04-2008, 04:05 AM
I echo the sentiments that if Favre were under center, i.e. you have a better idea of what you can expect from your team, the move to get Taylor makes more sense. AR is the great unknown at this point, and I think just about anything could happen behind him. I don't think anyone would be surprised if he stunk up the joint, played it .500, or picked up where Brett left off on into the playoffs.

Only thing I'll offer is that JT does not play offense, and it's never a bad thing to make a good defense even better. Look at the leap the Vikes made with Allen, and go tell me how set they are under center (though the argument can be made that the strength of their running game alone made the Allen trade worth it--they almost made the playoffs with Jackson contrubuting little to nothing last year). As for a third round pick being too valuable, that would be my only pause. A potential one year rental to me is not worth a third when you don't know what AR will do and weigh it against the impact TT's thirds have made.

Patler
06-04-2008, 07:21 AM
I haven't seen Taylor's statement. Did he say:

1. That he would play one more year; or
2. That he would play ONLY one more year.

There is a big difference in my opinion. Favre made statement such as #1 above for how many consecutive years, four, five? It also matters if he said it in a discussion of the Dolphins, or his career in general and his desire for a trade.

If he truly intends to play only one more year and then retire, I don't think I would give up a lot for him, nor do I think you would have to. From the Dolphin's perspective, it doesn't matter if they have him or not this season, and getting anything is better than getting nothing. For any team acquiring him, if they are not on the verge of the playoffs, he does little for them for only one season. If they are on the verge, if he is a situational incremental improvement, it is not worth a real high draft pick. If he is filling an acknowledged weakness, he certainly has some value, probably more than for any other team, but if they are convinced he will play only one season I doubt they will want to invest a lot in him.

In short, if it is certain that he will play only one more season, I don't think it will take more than a 4th to get him, and maybe not even that.

3irty1
06-04-2008, 08:06 AM

There is a big difference in my opinion. Favre made statement such as #1 above for how many consecutive years, four, five? It also matters if he said it in a discussion of the Dolphins, or his career in general and his desire for a trade.

If he truly intends to play only one more year and then retire, I don't think I would give up a lot for him, nor do I think you would have to. From the Dolphin's perspective, it doesn't matter if they have him or not this season, and getting anything is better than getting nothing. For any team acquiring him, if they are not on the verge of the playoffs, he does little for them for only one season. If they are on the verge, if he is a situational incremental improvement, it is not worth a real high draft pick. If he is filling an acknowledged weakness, he certainly has some value, probably more than for any other team, but if they are convinced he will play only one season I doubt they will want to invest a lot in him.

In short, if it is certain that he will play only one more season, I don't think it will take more than a 4th to get him, and maybe not even that.

He pretty much said hes done after this year. He's got Hollywood stuff lined up.

Patler
06-04-2008, 08:15 AM
He pretty much said hes done after this year. He's got Hollywood stuff lined up.

Is there an article somewhere about it? Unfortunately, the media has speculated as much since the end of the season, but I have not actually seen or heard anything from Taylor stating that. I certainly may have missed it.

Now that Favre has retired, there seems to be a need for another high-profile retirement watch. Forgive me if I want to hear it from the horses mouth, but we saw lots of inaccuracies concerning what Favre intended.

The Leaper
06-04-2008, 09:50 AM
IMO this would be the kind of move the Packers should make IF they still had Favre at the helm. Then I believe they could really make a legit run. With AROD no way,not this year anyway and more than likely never.

So ARod is no better than Eli Manning?

I'm sorry, but Rodgers has the ability to do anything Manning did last year in the playoffs. That isn't to say he WILL do that in 2008, simply that I think he has the ability to.

A dominant DL can cure a lot of ills. If the Packers want to win the division in 2008 and have any chance at a SB, going after Taylor should be a consideration. He immediately improves the defense significantly, as he is a much better DE than anyone on our roster other than Kamp.

Fritz
06-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Offer the fins a fourth and Taylor a part in the next bob and doug mckenzie movie. eh?

Guiness
06-04-2008, 11:42 AM

Good question, that, and there hasn't been much concrete, of course. Here's a comment (not quote) from one article

Among some of the highlighted questions were some pretty evasive answers. He claims he want to play football for one more year (before moving on to acting),

So not exactly anything concrete. There was an article at PFW, but it basically said he hasn't said anything :roll:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/WWHI/2008/wwhi2304.htm

DonHutson
06-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Since you're asking about the one more year thing, I was hanging out with Jason Taylor the other day. He told me ONLY one more year.

Then I made him watch 'Firestorm' starring Howie Long.

When it was over Jason said, "At LEAST one more year."

Then I made him watch 'Stone Cold' starring Brian Bosworth.

When that was over Jason said, "Well, maybe two more years."

Then I made him watch the entire 'Police Academy' series featuring Bubba Smith.

Jason looked visibly shaken and he mumbled about how much he loved football.

When I asked him if he wanted to watch 'Ernest Goes to Camp' starring Lyle Alzado he curled up in a fetal postition and started shivering.

When I pointed out that the most impressive acting performances by a former NFL defensive player were a tossup between John Matuszak in 'Goonies' and Alex Kerras in the 'Webster' TV series, Jason excused himself because he was late for football practice.

Hope that clears things up.

twoseven
06-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Offer the fins a fourth and Taylor a part in the next bob and doug mckenzie movie. eh?

..and throw in 24 Elsinore.

http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimages/sbr_027MoranisThomas.jpg

twoseven
06-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Since you're asking about the one more year thing, I was hanging out with Jason Taylor the other day. He told me ONLY one more year.

Then I made him watch 'Firestorm' starring Howie Long.

When it was over Jason said, "At LEAST one more year."

Then I made him watch 'Stone Cold' starring Brian Bosworth.

When that was over Jason said, "Well, maybe two more years."

Then I made him watch the entire 'Police Academy' series featuring Bubba Smith.

Jason looked visibly shaken and he mumbled about how much he loved football.

When I asked him if he wanted to watch 'Ernest Goes to Camp' starring Lyle Alzado he curled up in a fetal postition and started shivering.

When I pointed out that the most impressive acting performances by a former NFL defensive player were a tossup between John Matuszak in 'Goonies' and Alex Kerras in the 'Webster' TV series, Jason excused himself because he was late for football practice.

Hope that clears things up.

make him watch..

Lawrence Taylor in Any Given Sunday and Jim Brown in The Running Man, Mars Attacks, and I'm Gonna Git You Sucka

..then remind him that only bodybuilders and ex-pro wrestlers are meant for Hollywood.

Tarlam!
06-04-2008, 03:59 PM
make him watch..

Lawrence Taylor in [i]Any Given Sunday

I loved LT in that movie. What? Go ahead and say it! I am such an Aussie, I know!!

Build a bridge and get over it!!

Deputy Nutz
06-04-2008, 04:42 PM
What kind of football player states that he is only going to play one more year, especially when he thinks he is still playing at a top level?

Brett Favre isn't playing ANY more years, even when he is still playing at a top level.

Taylor is stuck on a pathetic Dolphins team that can't possibly contend for even a simple division title for another 3-4 years...considering how strong the Patriots are. I would fully expect him to be relatively ho-hum regarding his football future in that scenario. I would be too.

I'm guessing his tune changes if he is placed with a team that can be legitimately labeled a title contender. Besides, when has Jason Taylor EVER shown up out of shape or played with a lack of focus? I don't see the need to question the guy's attitude or work ethic simply because he was on Dancing with the Stars in the offseason and skipped a VOLUNTARY workout.

Where's your bitching on Packer players who skipped a voluntary workout, Nutz? Can they not be counted on now? Strahan missed the entire preseason last year...it really hindered him from getting a ring, didn't it?

I didn't say anything about OTAs, sorry. Didn't care to mention anything about workouts or Taylor's physical shape. My point was that he has another adgenda outside of football, he is reshaping his life outside of football so I question his commitment to his team and any team that would try to trade for him. I would take a half-hearted Jason Taylor for a fourth round pick. I don't like him throwing the Dolphins under the bus because he wants to play for a winner, sure every player wants to play for winner, why is Jason Taylor special?

Tarlam!
06-04-2008, 05:08 PM
I would take a half-hearted Jason Taylor for a fourth round pick.

Did you mistype this statement, Nutz?

twoseven
06-04-2008, 05:12 PM
make him watch..

Lawrence Taylor in [i]Any Given Sunday

I loved LT in that movie. What? Go ahead and say it! I am such an Aussie, I know!!

Build a bridge and get over it!!
Not questioning the entertainment value (I loved watching every movie I listed), only pointing out that ex-NFL stars are not exactly competing for the Oscar in the movies and that retiring earlier than later to pursue such epics as Sunday and Mars Attacks might not be better choices than going to work as an analyst for ESPN, NBC, or FOX.

The Leaper
06-04-2008, 05:34 PM
I don't like him throwing the Dolphins under the bus because he wants to play for a winner, sure every player wants to play for winner, why is Jason Taylor special?

Taylor has every right to close out his career how he wants to. How is he throwing the Dolphins under the bus? Taylor is merely admitting that he might find Hollywood more interesting than a 1-15 season. I'm sure you would too.

The Dolphins have thrown themselves under the bus with their dismal draft record in recent years.

DonHutson
06-04-2008, 05:58 PM
I don't like him throwing the Dolphins under the bus because he wants to play for a winner, sure every player wants to play for winner, why is Jason Taylor special?

Taylor has every right to close out his career how he wants to. How is he throwing the Dolphins under the bus? Taylor is merely admitting that he might find Hollywood more interesting than a 1-15 season. I'm sure you would too.

The Dolphins have thrown themselves under the bus with their dismal draft record in recent years.

Compared to all of the guys who demand trades over money or because they can't get along with their coach and/or teamates, this is almost refreshing.

Deputy Nutz
06-04-2008, 09:10 PM

If he wants to retire, great, go make a movie, but if he wants to play football his right to anything is owned by the Dolphins. Why would I find acting more interesting than football? I would much rather gather the respect as a hall of fame type player doing the best I can with what surrounds me, then riding off to Hollywood to make a bunch of shit bag movies. See list on page two.

HarveyWallbangers
06-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Who needs Jason Taylor when you have Jason Hunter.
:D

KYPack
06-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Guy don't come cheap.

He made $ 9,622,505 last season and 9.4 mil the year before.

We'd have too much jack at DE if we kept him and KGB.

I really doubt we will make this move.

DonHutson
06-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Guy don't come cheap.

He made $ 9,622,505 last season and 9.4 mil the year before.

We'd have too much jack at DE if we kept him and KGB.

I really doubt we will make this move.

With Favre retired aren't we $30 something million under the cap? I don't know how many years are left on his deal, but if he's traded any cap hit from bonuses would be the Dolphins problem. So even if he retires next year with years left on his contract, there wouldn't be a cap hit for the team that acquired him.

The draft pick compensation would be the bigger issue, in my opinion.

The Leaper
06-05-2008, 10:08 AM
If he wants to retire, great, go make a movie, but if he wants to play football his right to anything is owned by the Dolphins.

Fine.

When you show me any legitimate evidence of how Jason Taylor is giving less than 100% on the field for the Dolphins, either previously or currently, I'll agree with you.

Brett Favre missed time at summer camps occasionally. I didn't hear you whining about how Green Bay owns him then. Why? Because he proved himself on the field every year...just as Jason Taylor has.

Unlke you, I don't automatically assume Taylor is giving less than 100% in terms of his conditioning or prep for the upcoming season simply because he also has an interest in making movies or being on TV. There is more to life than football, and I can see how a guy might have multiple interests...heaven forbid.

MadtownPacker
06-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Unlke you, I don't automatically assume Taylor is giving less than 100% in terms of his conditioning or prep for the upcoming season simply because he also has an interest in making movies or being on TV. There is more to life than football, and I can see how a guy might have multiple interests...heaven forbid.
Dont pay attention to that shit4brains Nutsack, Taylor was doing plenty of lifting this offseason. Looks like he even did a little stretching too!

http://blogs.abc.com/livefromla/images/2008/03/17/jason.jpg

bobblehead
06-05-2008, 01:19 PM
If he wants to retire, great, go make a movie, but if he wants to play football his right to anything is owned by the Dolphins.

Fine.

When you show me any legitimate evidence of how Jason Taylor is giving less than 100% on the field for the Dolphins, either previously or currently, I'll agree with you.

Brett Favre missed time at summer camps occasionally. I didn't hear you whining about how Green Bay owns him then. Why? Because he proved himself on the field every year...just as Jason Taylor has.

I don't like that arguement, remember favre threw more and more picks the more offseason time he blew off, only when MM came in and held him accountable did he turn in another stellar season. The player has every right to do whatever he wants in the offseason, but the team has every right to hold him accountable when his play suffers because of it.