PDA

View Full Version : Logjam at Middle Linebacker

vince
06-03-2008, 07:31 AM
http://www.railbirdcentral.com/2008/06/logjam-at-middle-linebacker.html

Logjam at Middle Linebacker

When the Green Bay Packers are forced with trimming their roster down to 53 players in early September, they could face some tough decisions at middle linebacker.

The Packers currently have four middle linebackers that might deserve to be playing on Sundays, but unfortunately only one can play at a time.

A lot can happen between now and September, but right now the Packers have Nick Barnett, Desmond Bishop, Abdul Hodge, and Danny Lansanah all pushing for playing time.

Barnett is coming off his best season in the NFL at middle linebacker, and there's no reason to think he won't be the starter come opening day. At the very least, there's plenty of competition to keep Barnett sharp once training camp opens. Plus the Packers look to have a viable backup if anything should happen to Barnett.

The top backup as of this moment is Bishop. With Barnett gone from this past Thursday's OTA practice, Bishop has been getting plenty of repetitions with the No. 1 defense too. And according to reports, Bishop has impressed.

"Linebacker Desmond Bishop, who was playing middle linebacker with the No. 1 defense in place of the absent Nick Barnett, got his hands on another pass but couldn't haul it in," reports Rob Demovsky of the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

One of the toughest battles of training camp will be between Bishop and Hodge. It appears Hodge is the healthiest he's been in years, and will be pushing for playing time.

"The former third-round draft choice says his troublesome knees are in their best shape since his junior season at the University of Iowa," writes Mike Spofford of Packers.com.

Fans will remember the impact Hodge made at the beginning of his rookie year before injuries slowed him down. Being a first day draft choice, there's hope that he can regain the form of his college days and early in his rookie year.

Bishop spent a lot of time learning the outside linebacker positions last year in a reserve role. So perhaps the biggest compliment Hodge could possibly get is if the Packers decide to move Bishop to the outside full-time to Hodge could be the primary backup.

Flying in under the radar may be Lansanah who likely happens to be the crown jewel of dozen or so undrafted rookies the Packers signed after the draft. An All-Big East first team selection, it was surprising Lansanah wasn't drafted after a stellar career at Connecticut.

One key for Lansanah, as well as for Bishop and Hodge, will be special teams play. If any one of them is going to secure a roster spot, they're going to be competing with guys like Tracy White who make their living off becoming special teams demons.

If there happens to be an injury to any of the players at the mike linebacker position, the Packers are covered. But it's doubtful the Packers will keep all four of them. It will be a battle to watch in August.
I'm pulling for him, but Hodge has his work cut out for him. Anyone know anything about Lansanah?

privatepacker
06-03-2008, 07:55 AM
I wondered the same thing, what is the story on Lansanah? Outside the starters and team members from last year, the papers should run a story on the players that were drafted and FA pick-ups. Everyone of them probably has a wow factor involved. Let's face it, it's a slow time of the year.

Deputy Nutz
06-03-2008, 09:03 AM
The issue is that they want Brandon Chillar to learn all three positions. He has the capability to play all three although I don't know if you want him to.

Linebacker is usually a position that they will skimp on if they can squeeze another defensive linemen or defensive back on the roster. Barnett, Popinga, and Hawk are pretty well conditioned, and outside of a broken hand by Barnett, and a blown ACL by Poppinga in his first season these guys are solid in the injury department. I have a hard time seeing them keeping more than 6.

DonHutson
06-03-2008, 09:31 AM
A proven starter, a decent backup, a guy recovering from serious injuries, and some undrafted rookie constitutes a logjam?

I would say that's the bare minimum you need at any position this time of year.

The Leaper
06-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Stupid article. WR is a logjam, not MLB.

Patler
06-03-2008, 10:49 AM
I want to see Hodge run, before getting too excited about his recovery. He was thought by some to be too slow before his surgeries, and I doubt he has become any faster as a result of the surgeries. His size is more that of a free safety.

Lansanah is this years version of Spencer Havner or Juwan Simpson. A guy with a very productive college career, whose shortcomings knocked him out of the draft. Every once in a while, one of those guys pans out as a legitimate player. We can hope he will be one, but certainly can't count on it.

Tarlam!
06-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Lansanah is this years version of Spencer Havner or Juwan Simpson. A guy with a very productive college career, whose shortcomings knocked him out of the draft.

What is the deal with Havner, anway? I remember some pundits having him as a 1st day pick coming out.

texaspackerbacker
06-03-2008, 12:04 PM
I've been a big fan of Bishop and a sort of a detractor of Hodge--ever since there was stupid talk of him replacing Barnett his rookie year.

I'd like to see Bishop cross-trained as an OLB and become the top backup. I'd also like to see Popinga get some work at DE, especially if he gets replaced at OLB. Other than that, let the chips fall.

bobblehead
06-03-2008, 12:17 PM

Agree, but we are starved for any information this time of year, so the article gives us some.

And a sidenote, I think Hodge should be faster if his knees indeed feel fine, pain is a great reducer of 40 time.

Guiness
06-03-2008, 12:20 PM

Don't know if I'd call it a stupid article - more of a feel good fluff piece to fill some newsprint about football this time of year :P

I kind of like these for what they're worth - give you a bit of a rundown of the various positions, remind you of who the camp bodies are, and an idea of what the depth chart might be.

I'd say LB in general, while maybe not logjammed, is a pretty sewn up position. Unless something pretty unexpected happens, Barnett, Hawk, Poppinga and Chillar are on the team - only Q might be which of the last 2 start. If Nutz is right, and they only keep 6, there's not a lot of room there!!!

sharpe1027
06-03-2008, 12:26 PM

I agree to a point, but there is some merit to the article (and it is a slow time of the year). Just because we have alot of good WRs doesn't mean that we don't have a lot of good MLB.

You could also look at it this way. Only one player at at time can ever be on the field for MLB, whereas they'll often have 3 and 4 WRs on at any one time. Essentially, they like 4 times as many MLB as will ever be on the field at the same time, they don't like 4 times as many WRs as will ever be on the field at the same time.

Guiness
06-03-2008, 12:28 PM
I've been a big fan of Bishop and a sort of a detractor of Hodge--ever since there was stupid talk of him replacing Barnett his rookie year.

I don't know so much that there was talk of him replacing Barnett so much as there was musings that he might play inside and allow Barnett to play ouside, which many felt was his more natural position. Poppinga was coming off the IR and was certainly not a sure thing at that point.

Partial
06-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Barnett, Hawk, Popp, The special teams guy and Chillar are locks.

The battle will come down to Hodge and Bishop for the back-up spot in the middle.

Tony Oday
06-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Unless Bishop gets hurt or didnt improve at all he is in. Hodge wont stick just because he cant get well. I mean doesnt he have a condition with his knees?

Deputy Nutz
06-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Unless Bishop gets hurt or didnt improve at all he is in. Hodge wont stick just because he cant get well. I mean doesnt he have a condition with his knees?

Did you read the article first? Hodge had surgery to repair his tendonitis or relieve the pain. He says he feels better now, and hasn't felt this good since his junior year in college. Who knows how long term the precedure was but I think he is at least fixed for now.

------

Hawk
Barnett
Poppinga
Chillar
Tracy White
Bishop
Hodge
Lansanah
Havner

I guess seven or so can make this team, but only if the 2 or 3 reserve players are special team top performers.

Chillar isn't a lock to make the team, he needs to perform like any of the others, he could either be a starter on the strong side, or he could get his ass cut.

Patler
06-03-2008, 02:46 PM
And a sidenote, I think Hodge should be faster if his knees indeed feel fine, pain is a great reducer of 40 time.

Na, the trainers' "goody bag" takes care of that! :lol:

Tony Oday
06-03-2008, 05:00 PM

Did you read the article first? Hodge had surgery to repair his tendonitis or relieve the pain. He says he feels better now, and hasn't felt this good since his junior year in college. Who knows how long term the precedure was but I think he is at least fixed for now.

------

Hawk
Barnett
Poppinga
Chillar
Tracy White
Bishop
Hodge
Lansanah
Havner

I guess seven or so can make this team, but only if the 2 or 3 reserve players are special team top performers.

Chillar isn't a lock to make the team, he needs to perform like any of the others, he could either be a starter on the strong side, or he could get his ass cut.

Hey I read it but its knees at a high impact position. I hope the best for hodge and bishop but I thought Hodge had a degenerative disease in his cartilage...ok I cant spell...so I would think this is a shorter term fix. Chillar will make the team :)

KYPack
06-03-2008, 05:27 PM

------

Hawk
Barnett
Poppinga
Chillar
Tracy White
Bishop
Hodge
Lansanah
Havner

Didn't we carry 5 backers for a bit last season?

Chillar makes the team, there Dep.

I'd say this is the list:

Hawk
Barnett
Poppinga
Chillar
Tracy White
Bishop

Hodge was slow the way it was, let alone after gettting cut on his knees.

I also think this article was lame. What logjam at the Mike?

Bretsky
06-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Lansanah is this years version of Spencer Havner or Juwan Simpson. A guy with a very productive college career, whose shortcomings knocked him out of the draft.

What is the deal with Havner, anway? I remember some pundits having him as a 1st day pick coming out.

If memory serves me right bad bad character

HarveyWallbangers
06-03-2008, 06:17 PM

No. I don't think so. I think it was more his athletic ability. You might be thinking of Rory Johnson or Juwan? Simpson--the two LBs we brought in last year.

Patler
06-03-2008, 09:25 PM

No. I don't think so. I think it was more his athletic ability. You might be thinking of Rory Johnson or Juwan? Simpson--the two LBs we brought in last year.

I think Harvey's right. The issue with Havner I think was that he was looked at as a major overachiever even in college, based on his lack of natural athletic ability.

Didn't one of the two guys last year (Johnson and Simpson) have drug problems, and the other attitude/motivation uncertainties? I think both, but especially one, were quite gifted athletically, as I recall.

Bretsky
06-03-2008, 09:47 PM
On another note this whole article is a joke; somebody out of these four will float back to sub par in all likely hood.......and we'll all be happy if three of these guys are decent. Holdge has underperformed since he got here. Bishop.......I like cause I think he can play specials. Who knows about the other yahoo.

We may have a logjam of quality at WR; but at MLB at this point we have Nick Barnett and a logjam of bodies.

Patler
06-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Holdge has underperformed since he got here. Bishop.......I like cause I think he can play specials. Who knows about the other yahoo.

We may have a logjam of quality at WR; but at MLB at this point we have Nick Barnett and a logjam of bodies.

Agreed. Unless Hodge is dynamite this year as a linebacker, I think he has a very tough battle ahead. They tried him on ST his rookie season, and from many reports he was very, very bad. Maybe it was his knees, and he will be better this year. One would think his attitude would be perfect for ST. As of now, I think Bishop has a big advantage over Hodge because of ST.

I seriously doubt there will be a big line of other teams waiting to snatch up our middle linebacker rejects to use as their starter! :D

Deputy Nutz
06-03-2008, 11:18 PM

------

Hawk
Barnett
Poppinga
Chillar
Tracy White
Bishop
Hodge
Lansanah
Havner

Didn't we carry 5 backers for a bit last season?

Chillar makes the team, there Dep.

I'd say this is the list:

Hawk
Barnett
Poppinga
Chillar
Tracy White
Bishop

Hodge was slow the way it was, let alone after gettting cut on his knees.

I also think this article was lame. What logjam at the Mike?

If a younger guy out performs him, I bet they go with the younger guy, that is my only point. I am not saying I think Chillar stinks, if a Ted Thompson team has a way to get younger, it will.

Deputy Nutz
06-03-2008, 11:20 PM
I am sorry, I honestly think Hodge is a better football player than Tracy White. He has a better pedigree. White is decent on special teams, and you need those guys, but Hodge should be a better football player.

Tarlam!
06-04-2008, 12:23 AM
I am sorry, I honestly think Hodge is a better football player than Tracy White. He has a better pedigree. White is decent on special teams, and you need those guys, but Hodge should be a better football player.

I remember the vibe about Hodge. Nothing similar came about White. If Hodge lives up to his rap now that he is healthy, I'd say he gets the nod.

Patler
06-04-2008, 06:55 AM

I remember the vibe about Hodge. Nothing similar came about White. If Hodge lives up to his rap now that he is healthy, I'd say he gets the nod.

If the top 5 are Barnett, Hawk, Poppinga and Chillar; the 5th will be picked as much or more for play on ST as for play for scrimmage, That is why Hodge might be at a disadvantage to Bishop.

The 6th linebacker, if they even keep a 6th, will be kept almost exclusively based on ST performance, as he will likely not see the field otherwise, except maybe in mop-up duties. White has been a top ST performer his entire career.

That is why I see Hodge as having an uphill fight. I think he will have to be very impressive on D for the Packers to overlook the ST component usually required of the 4th, 5th and 6th linebackers, or he will have to show marked improvement on ST. He might be able to do either, or both, with his rejuvenated knees!

CaptainKickass
06-04-2008, 12:25 PM

[quote]Logjam at Middle Linebacker

Fans will remember the impact Hodge made at the beginning of his rookie year before injuries slowed him down.

I am a fan, and I don't "remember the impact". I do remember Hodge subbing for an injured Barnett against Seattle - and having a negative impact.

?

GrnBay007
06-04-2008, 12:27 PM
I am a fan, and I don't "remember the impact". I do remember Hodge subbing for an injured Barnett against Seattle - and having a negative impact.

?

Welcome back Captain......long time.

Freak Out
06-04-2008, 12:36 PM

[quote]Logjam at Middle Linebacker

Fans will remember the impact Hodge made at the beginning of his rookie year before injuries slowed him down.

?

I remember Hodge not being able to chase down guys from behind when Barnett could at least do that.

DonHutson
06-04-2008, 03:02 PM

I think this coaching staff takes special teams a lot more seriously than the previous staff did. White is better than decent on kick coverage. Guys like White, Jason Hunter, and some others are a big reason for the improvement in the cover units last year.

If Hodge isn't a starter (and he won't be) then I don't think it's White's task to beat out Hodge as a LB from scrimmage. I think it will be Hodge's job to beat out White as a special teamer. I'd be surprised if someone with Hodge's injury history will play with the necessary recklessness to excel on special teams.

Unless Mike Montgomery has a break out camp, I would expect him to lose out to Hunter for the same reason.

CaptainKickass
06-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Welcome back Captain......long time.

Thanks. But I never went anywhere. Just haven't been posting.

:D