PDA

View Full Version : Getting involved in a community

Partial
06-03-2008, 01:40 PM
I am doing a little research into something and am looking for serious responses.

How active in your community are you?

What would it take to get you more involved?

Would you like to get more involved?

Do you find the information about community events within your town, city, etc isn't readily available?

Say you're interested in something like tennis but don't know anyone else who is interested in it, if the availability of a tennis club/group who plays together presented itself would you get out and join them?

Thank you.

Freak Out
06-03-2008, 01:52 PM
I am doing a little research into something and am looking for serious responses.

How active in your community are you?

Do you find the information about community events within your town, city, etc isn't readily available?

Say you're interested in something like tennis but don't know anyone else who is interested in it, if the availability of a tennis club/group who plays together presented itself would you get out and join them?

Thank you.

I volunteer with a couple of organizations here locally in an advisory capacity on water related issues and other environmental related evil communist conspiracy stuff....I give blood to the blood bank of Alaska on a regular basis...I think everyone should give blood if their health allows them to. I donate $$$ and goods to local charities frequently, I play hockey in a city league and am a member of the Nordic and Alpine ski clubs. I'm about ready to join the Kendo club. Both the daily and the weekly papers here publish all kinds of community related stuff and of course the internet is loaded with good local info.

SkinBasket
06-03-2008, 02:31 PM
What are you getting at? Actual community service or just social networking?

Or is this some perverted scheme to set up a local internet dating portal so you can try to coerce young girls into sending you topless photos by threatening to hack their computer?

Partial
06-03-2008, 02:39 PM
No perverted schemes, just a few questions.

SkinBasket
06-03-2008, 03:19 PM
For what it's worth, we're members of the zoo and Discovery World museum, donate to local charities, inner city church programs, scholarships, and non-profits, give blood, attend the MMA gym, buy a can of soup for the food pantry for every bottle of booze I buy, and will generally offer assistance to anyone who seems to need it unless their skin is too dark. Oh, and I hang out with nutz as we continue our effort to offer economic stimulus to local bars. I also regularly curse at elderly drivers in an effort to make our roads safer.

I don't get involved on a neighborhood level as most of that stuff is just an excuse to socialize, jerk off, etc.

I suppose if I wanted to play tennis with someone, I would put on my sweater vest and short shorts and head over to the tennis courts or I would call the local clubs or the Y.

As far as the info being available, we get plenty of unsolicited information for local and regional happenings from the neighborhood, activity groups, and local businesses. I know if I want something, there's phonebooks, internet sites, papers, classifieds, or I'll just go directly to whatever I'm interested in person (like going to the Y to check out child swimming lessons).

Partial
06-03-2008, 03:33 PM
For what it's worth, we're members of the zoo and Discovery World museum, donate to local charities, inner city church programs, scholarships, and non-profits, give blood, attend the MMA gym, buy a can of soup for the food pantry for every bottle of booze I buy, and will generally offer assistance to anyone who seems to need it unless their skin is too dark. Oh, and I hang out with nutz as we continue our effort to offer economic stimulus to local bars. I also regularly curse at elderly drivers in an effort to make our roads safer.

I don't get involved on a neighborhood level as most of that stuff is just an excuse to socialize, jerk off, etc.

I suppose if I wanted to play tennis with someone, I would put on my sweater vest and short shorts and head over to the tennis courts or I would call the local clubs or the Y.

As far as the info being available, we get plenty of unsolicited information for local and regional happenings from the neighborhood, activity groups, and local businesses. I know if I want something, there's phonebooks, internet sites, papers, classifieds, or I'll just go directly to whatever I'm interested in person (like going to the Y to check out child swimming lessons).

On an off topic, what MMA gym do you go to? Is it free? There is that boxing club on 10th and Lincoln that is free but kind of ghetto.

I'm not talking about like volunteering, I'm talking about getting involved on a very local level, be it in a yoga club for your wife (or something to that effect), or a weekly bike ride with other members of the community who are interested in biking, school board meeting announcements, city rec department class and outing listings, etc.

oregonpackfan
06-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Most cities have a website which have links to community involvement.

Try stopping by the local Chamber of Commerce. Traditionally, they are a wealth of information. Even stopping in the local City Hall can provide you with information and contacts.

Deputy Nutz
06-03-2008, 03:46 PM

On an off topic, what MMA gym do you go to? Is it free? There is that boxing club on 10th and Lincoln that is free but kind of ghetto.

I'm not talking about like volunteering, I'm talking about getting involved on a very local level, be it in a yoga club for your wife (or something to that effect), or a weekly bike ride with other members of the community who are interested in biking, school board meeting announcements, city rec department class and outing listings, etc.

Waukesha MMA. It is not free, it is 100.00 a month. If you take advantage of all the classes it is probably worth it, but not to my wife. She thinks I am manly enough as it is. Besides she began to think I was getting too interested in actually fighting professional and she beat me into submission by with holding my allowance. So now I am going to get really fat where she will be too embarassed to go out with me in public.

Oscar
06-03-2008, 03:54 PM
I coach t-ball and softball for my kids. I'm seriously considering starting my own business here where I live. Theres a group of about 30 of us that get together on Sat. mornings and ride about 15 miles. Though, after seeing the pic of the riders hit by the drunk driver.I may reconsider the bike riding stuff. Thats about it for me. May someday consider running for a spot on the school board...Fixed my elderly neighbors riding lawnmower the other day if that counts..lol

SkinBasket
06-03-2008, 04:01 PM
So now I am going to get really fat where she will be too embarassed to go out with me in public.

Will you come back then? We're short on fat guys again, so the sooner you can let yourself go the better if that's the case.

I get to 5 to 8 classes a month right now, and I'm okay with the workout I get at $12-20/session. When I add kickboxing I'll probably be going to 3 classes a week between that and jiu jutsu. 8 bucks a class isn't bad. If I convince myself to give up drinking four nights a week (not going to happen by the way), it'll practically be a deal.

sheepshead
06-03-2008, 04:45 PM
coaching here and i served on the board of our baseball association. you can really make a difference. Its thankless sometimes but i know it keeps kids off the streets and keeps the games alive.

Partial
06-03-2008, 04:51 PM
What if there was a tool available to easily get the word out to many people in your community with common interests? Be it parents for school board meetings, coordinating trips to the park with other parents and children, adverts for athletic activities for children, a posting for a club or activity, as well as a way to coordinate, converse, and socially network with all of these things?

Does this seem like something people would use if done well?

Scott Campbell
06-03-2008, 05:08 PM
.........buy a can of soup for the food pantry for every bottle of booze I buy........

Holy shit. Talk about generosity.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-03-2008, 05:48 PM
What if there was a tool available to easily get the word out to many people in your community with common interests? Be it parents for school board meetings, coordinating trips to the park with other parents and children, adverts for athletic activities for children, a posting for a club or activity, as well as a way to coordinate, converse, and socially network with all of these things?

Does this seem like something people would use if done well?

The tools already exists...flyers, email, websites, and the phone.

Iron Mike
06-03-2008, 05:57 PM
The tools already exists...flyers, email, websites, and the phone.

Don't forget this one:

http://www.vinylsigns.org/telephone%20pole.jpg

Bretsky
06-03-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm on the board of education for my kids private grade school; enjoy that as it feels like I'm doing something good at a time where the job is probably just as frustrating as it is rewarding.

I sponsor a local softball team and play in two leagues and network there
That I do because I enjoy it

I was offered a free membership to the local Rotary Club; see all of the who's who in the city. Too stuffy for me and I will not rejoin after I'm done.
I will volunteer coach my kids when they get older

In the future outside of the Board of Education, I only see myself in clubs to help out my own kids or for my own good in the businsess world.

I would not use what Partial describes

On common thing that I find to be an absolute scam is poeple setting up these websites and then charging people to be part of a club.....group advertising...yadayada

MJZiggy
06-03-2008, 06:59 PM
I had time to do much more before I went back to work, but even now, we donate to the food drives, pennies for patients, sponsor kids in foreign lands, all of the fundraisers for the school, help with the kid's soccer team (I used to do a book for the team, but I just don't have time this year).

On Saturday, I'll be on the Mall doing the Race for the Cure and a friend at work and I are making a cookbook to benefit a local charity that teaches conflict resolution to inner city kids using the arts as a tool.

SkinBasket
06-03-2008, 09:47 PM
.........buy a can of soup for the food pantry for every bottle of booze I buy........

Holy shit. Talk about generosity.

That includes wine though. God will forgive my proclivity toward drink if I help feed the poor, I figure. Guilt free drinking is better.

Partial
06-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Not trying to be a dick, but could you guys try to elaborate more on these questions please?

Thank you.

MJZiggy
06-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Not trying to be a dick, but could you guys try to elaborate more on these questions please?

Thank you.

If I'm looking for tennis, I go to meetup.com or I go to the tennis court where I'm likely to find someone to play tennis with. Yes information is easily gotten. What it would take to get me more involved is, say 28 hours in the day and someone else to do the cooking, take care of the animals, etc. Oh. Right and more money to pay a babysitter. But wait, I actually want to see the kid, so what do you recommend? People get involved where and how they can.

Deputy Nutz
06-03-2008, 11:14 PM

Thank you.

Don't worry Skin and I just stole your idea. We will make it happen.

Bretsky
06-03-2008, 11:41 PM

NO INTEREST IN GETTING MORE INVOLVED

NO

IT IS READILY AVAILABLE

NO

Thank you.

Partial
06-04-2008, 12:05 AM

NO INTEREST IN GETTING MORE INVOLVED

NO

IT IS READILY AVAILABLE

NO

Thank you.

Cynical bastard :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
06-04-2008, 12:35 AM
You all get community service because you're WHITE. The black or brown man does the crime, does the time.