PDA

View Full Version : home security and children

GoPackGo
06-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Packerrats,
I suspect some of you have a pistol at home for protection in case of a break in. For those of you with children, what is a preferred way to store a gun and loaded clip so it would be accessable in case you needed it? Keeping your pistol in a gun safe would hinder ones ability to move for your gun quickly. Keeping your pistol under your mattress or in a nightstand with a triggerlock on it would allow you to get to your gun quick but I'm afraid of my toddler finding it.
Does anyone have any insight on this subject? I want to be able to get to my gun quick without compromising family safety.

Freak Out
06-04-2008, 11:18 AM
The only safe way is with a lock when a toddler is involved. I never lived in an area where I felt the need to have a handgun by my bed when I had small children...I always kept them in a safe.

SkinBasket
06-04-2008, 11:51 AM
I never lived in an area where I felt the need to have a handgun by my bed when I had small children...I always kept them in a safe.

It is not recommended to keep your children in a safe.

mraynrand
06-04-2008, 12:02 PM
I always carry my Walther PPK in a holster under my left armpit. I also have a smaller pistol that I keep in an ankle holster under my sock in case I'm disarmed. Sure, relations with the wife can get a bit awkward, but it's worth it to know that you can duck and return fire from a home invader at any moment.

Freak Out
06-04-2008, 12:03 PM
I never lived in an area where I felt the need to have a handgun by my bed when I had small children...I always kept them in a safe.

I learned that the hard way. :lol:

Freak Out
06-04-2008, 12:04 PM
I always carry my Walther PPK in a holster under my left armpit. I also have a smaller pistol that I keep in an ankle holster under my sock in case I'm disarmed. Sure, relations with the wife can get a bit awkward, but it's worth it to know that you can duck and return fire from a home invader at any moment.

Who is living in the hidden valley with you?

mraynrand
06-04-2008, 12:11 PM

Who is living in the hidden valley with you?

Dagny something-or-other. I think she likes trains. I'm too busy working on my zero-point energy electrical engine to take notice.

GoPackGo
06-04-2008, 12:11 PM

thats funny :lol:

maybe I should just stick with my current security setup: A 90lb dog and Louisville slugger under my bed

Patler
06-04-2008, 12:14 PM
maybe I should just stick with my current security setup: A 90lb dog and Louisville slugger under my bed

Noah Herron recommends a good bed post in place of the Louisville Slugger.

SkinBasket
06-04-2008, 12:57 PM
I have a police baton. One of those that slides out to full skull crackin' length. I've had some issues with not controlling my actions while I'm asleep, so I would never trust myself to have a gun or anything sharp nearby.

That and I always found everything that was supposed to be hidden from me as a kid, even the pistol and ammo, so I have little faith in the effectiveness of concealment from the kids.

Deputy Nutz
06-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Kids find everything if it not locked up, like the other day, my kid was running around with my penis pump on his head.

GoPackGo
06-04-2008, 01:04 PM
http://www.nightmarepark.com/public/Pictures/Jokes/Applause.gif

the_idle_threat
06-04-2008, 01:18 PM
I don't have kids, so I've got guns laying around everywhere. :lol:

But I've considered the problem. Keeping them locked up is the best option. Even though my parents never did so and neither did my friends' parents, and we all managed to survive, because we all knew we'd be in BIG TROUBLE if we screwed with their stuff. People these days don't want their kids exposed to Darwinian risks---I suppose because parents aren't allowed to put the fear of God into kids anymore.

Anyhoo, I digress. A compromise option, if you're serious enough, is a biometric one-touch fingerprint safe:

http://www.getsafes.com/pc-69-20-elite-fp-1216-biometric-fingerprint-safe.aspx

bobblehead
06-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Personally I don't have kids, but I have kids over at times. I keep the gun in the drawer right by my bed. I put the clip in the bathroom on top of the medicine cabinet. If I ever need my gun, I can grab it, move about 10 ft. to the bathroom, load the clip and release the chamber, ready to go. The odds of a kid getting both gun from drawer and clip from 8 ft. in the air on top of medicine cabinet are pretty frickin slim. (plus they gotta be able to pull the slide back far enough to load it after they figure out how to insert the clip).

Deputy Nutz
06-05-2008, 08:11 AM
Personally I don't have kids, but I have kids over at times. I keep the gun in the drawer right by my bed. I put the clip in the bathroom on top of the medicine cabinet. If I ever need my gun, I can grab it, move about 10 ft. to the bathroom, load the clip and release the chamber, ready to go. The odds of a kid getting both gun from drawer and clip from 8 ft. in the air on top of medicine cabinet are pretty frickin slim. (plus they gotta be able to pull the slide back far enough to load it after they figure out how to insert the clip).

We are not talking about 4 year olds, we are talking about 12 and 13 year old kids that want to act like 50 Cent. 4 year old just find loaded guns hidden in the stove at their mama's safe house and shoot themselves in the face.

MadtownPacker
06-05-2008, 08:22 AM
What shit is GoPackGo into that he needs to be ready to blast someone? Did he burn some mafioso's for their dope?

GoPackGo
06-05-2008, 10:08 AM
What shit is GoPackGo into that he needs to be ready to blast someone? Did he burn some mafioso's for their dope?

I have been held up at gunpoint and pistol whipped already in my short life. I know how to handle a pistol (I've shot 2 whitetail deer with my Ruger Super Redhawk 44mag) so why wouldn't I want to? Living 2 hours from the border, I'm really only worried about mexicans trying to break in my house when they think I'm gone. I pity the fool that breaks in my house:P

GoPackGo
06-05-2008, 10:40 AM
http://www.ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=857831
Phoenix homeowner kills gunman who invades his home
June 5th, 2008 @ 6:34am
by Jim Cross/KTAR

A west Phoenix homeowner shot and killed a home invader early today.

The homeowner, who lives near 59th Avenue and McDowell Road, awakened about 1:30 a.m. to what sounded like someone kicking in his front door. He then heard kicking at the door of the bedroom where he and his family were sleeping.

The homeowner armed himself with a rifle and, when the bedroom door flew open, he saw a man with a gun. He shot the suspect, who was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said they found a gun near the suspect, who has not been identified.

The homeowner said he did not know the suspect. No charges have been filed.

Investigators said they had no motive for the break-in.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Hot off the presses, the very situation I'm talking about here.
You have to be pretty nieve to think this type of thing wouldn't/couldn't ever happen to you.

MadtownPacker
06-05-2008, 10:59 AM
I have been held up at gunpoint and pistol whipped already in my short life. I know how to handle a pistol (I've shot 2 whitetail deer with my Ruger Super Redhawk 44mag) so why wouldn't I want to? Living 2 hours from the border, I'm really only worried about mexicans trying to break in my house when they think I'm gone. I pity the fool that breaks in my house:PSounds like you where slipping if you ask me. FYI - deer dont shot back so I hope you have brass ones when the times comes and I agree the odds of that time coming get better and better as world goes down the toilet.

If some Mexicans want to take you shit or your life they will. Worry more about your tweaker white bros trying to gank you for their next fix.

GoPackGo
06-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Worry more about your tweaker white bros trying to gank you for their next fix.

No kidding cracked out meth heads are desperate to steal anything they can pawn.
Last summer a friend of mine, his girlfriend, and his roomate were sleeping and got woke up 3 black dudes with guns and masks who demanded any jewelry and cash in the house. They made them lay on top of each other in a pile. They pistol whipped the roomate too.

MadtownPacker
06-05-2008, 11:15 AM

No kidding cracked out meth heads are desperate to steal anything they can pawn.
Last summer a friend of mine, his girlfriend, and his roomate were sleeping and got woke up 3 black dudes with guns and masks who demanded any jewelry and cash in the house. They made them lay on top of each other in a pile. They pistol whipped the roomate too.Gdamn! Pistol whipping is a fucked up and cowardly thing to do. Not sure how your situation went down but I hope you or the cops caught up with them.

Truth is you need wrought iron doors and windows to avoid shit like that.

GoPackGo
06-05-2008, 11:23 AM

Last summer a friend of mine, his girlfriend, and his roomate were sleeping and got woke up 3 black dudes with guns and masks who demanded any jewelry and cash in the house. They made them lay on top of each other in a pile. They pistol whipped the roomate too.Gdamn! Pistol whipping is a fucked up and cowardly thing to do. Not sure how your situation went down but I hope you or the cops caught up with them.

I was a wild child and I was buying lbs. of weed as a teenager. I just got done buying 1 lb when the guy I bought it from asked me if he could get a little bit of it before I left. I was like sure. He said he was going into the house to grab a baggy. It was dark, and with no warning he came out and cracked me on the head with a pistol, pointed it at me, and demanded I hand the brick over. I threw it to my friend and told him to run. Needless to say the dealer got away with the brick and I ended up in the hospital with a head trauma. That was the last time I bought a large quantity. Lesson learned the hard way.

Partial
06-05-2008, 01:15 PM

I was a wild child and I was buying lbs. of weed as a teenager. I just got done buying 1 lb when the guy I bought it from asked me if he could get a little bit of it before I left. I was like sure. He said he was going into the house to grab a baggy. It was dark, and with no warning he came out and cracked me on the head with a pistol, pointed it at me, and demanded I hand the brick over. I threw it to my friend and told him to run. Needless to say the dealer got away with the brick and I ended up in the hospital with a head trauma. That was the last time I bought a large quantity. Lesson learned the hard way.

The massive quantities of weed and the head trauma explain oh so much :lol:

but seriously that really sucks.

GoPackGo
06-05-2008, 01:38 PM
8-)

Little Whiskey
06-06-2008, 04:27 PM
I'd go with a shot gun. not a turkey gun, but a home defense model. you can equip your self with the proper load that won't blast thru the walls and hit an unintended target.