PDA

View Full Version : OL Rankings

GrnBay007
06-04-2008, 12:17 PM
By Pete Prisco

OL Rankings: The trenches are the first place to find winners

The New York Giants' run through the playoffs and their upset victory of the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII once again reinforced the idea that, despite all the new wrinkles over the years, the NFL game is still won by having good players on both lines.

The Giants' defensive front four rightfully received plenty of hype after they helped shut down the high-flying New England offense in the Super Bowl and limiting Dallas and Green Bay in the playoffs. But the Giants' offensive line was almost as good in the playoffs, but nobody noticed.

That's the way it is for offensive lineman. The only way they get attention is if they're making mistakes.

As we head closer to the 2008 season, with the opening of training camps less than two months away and most teams getting a good feel for what their teams will look like, we thought it was a good time to take a look at the offensive and defensive lines of all 32 teams.

The first column we will rank the league's offensive lines, giving them a ranking of 1 to 32, with one being the best and 32 the worst. The next column will rank the defensive lines 1 to 32 and the final day will be an overall rankings.

The team with the lowest two-line total has the best line play in the league heading into the 2008 season and should be a Super contender.

If you're looking for a surprise team, you might want to look for a non-playoff team from last season that is in the top 15 in the overall line rankings.

It's all about the lines in the NFL.

The New York Giants once again reminded us of that last season.

Dallas Cowboys

Best player: C Andre Gurode. Weak link: LG Kyle Kosier.

The skinny: This is an outstanding line from tackle to tackle. Picking out a weak line is tough, but Kosier is the choice. Gurode and right guard Leonard Davis are both coming off outstanding seasons. It will be interesting to see how left tackle Flozell Adams plays with his new contract.

Rating: 1

Minnesota Vikings

Best player: LG Steve Hutchinson. Weak link: RT Ryan Cook.

The skinny: Hutchinson and left tackle Bryant McKinnie are very good on the left side, but the right side is a concern. Center Matt Birk is getting up in the years, but he can still play at a high level. Right guard Anthony Herrera is good in the run game.

Rating: 8

Green Bay Packers

Best player: RT Mark Tauscher. Weak link: Both guard spots.

The skinny: In Tauscher and left tackle Chad Clifton, the Packers have a good combination. Center Scott Wells is a good player, but isn't powerful. It's the guard play that worried the team last season. They need to get better play from both guard spots in 2007 if this line is going to make strides.

Rating: 10

Chicago Bears

Best player: RT John Tait. Weak link: LT Chris Williams.

The skinny: Tait moves from the left side to the right side, his natural position, and rookie first-round pick Chris Williams will start on the left side. Center Olin Kreutz isn't the player he once was and the guards are average. Right guard Roberto Garza is average at best, and John St. Clair moves from tackle to left guard.

Rating: 26

Detroit Lions

Best player: C Dominic Raiola. Weak link: RT Gosder Cherilus.

The skinny: The Lions had major problems at right tackle last season so they will turn to rookie first-round pick Cherilus. Starting a rookie is always dicey. Raiola is the best of this line, with left tackle Jeff Backus second best. The guards are just OK. Left guard Edwin Mulitalo is a good run blocker.

Rating: 27

The rest of the NFL....
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10851305

BallHawk
06-04-2008, 12:19 PM
I find it hard to believe we are a top 10 line. I'd say we're more in the mid 10s.

Gunakor
06-04-2008, 01:13 PM
I find it hard to believe we are a top 10 line. I'd say we're more in the mid 10s.

He is looking at them at the end of last year rather than the beginning Im sure. One could not help but notice the vast improvement not only of the guards, but of the line as a whole as well as the season went on. I would hope that improvement carries over into 2008 and continues as this season progresses.

sheepshead
06-04-2008, 02:36 PM
How can the number one rated OL in pass protection not be rated in the top 2 or 3?

RashanGary
06-04-2008, 07:12 PM
How can the number one rated OL in pass protection not be rated in the top 2 or 3?

I'm not a big fan of idol worship or intense QB overrating syndrome, but #4 really does deserve credit for getting rid of the ball quickly. He may not always make the right decision, but if he can unload it (to Driver, Jennings or Urlacher) without getting hit - he'll be the QB to do it. Rodgers is not going to have less than 20 sacks, but most SB winning QB's have between 25 and 40 where the aged Favre only took about 15-20 per season (even with a couple bad Olines and a pass heavy offense).

Packnut
06-04-2008, 07:33 PM

The Giants bitch slapped that OL that you think should be rated #1. NO RUNNING GAME what-so-ever in the most important game of the season.

sheepshead
06-05-2008, 02:48 PM
It's not an opinion.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol.php

Lots of guys didnt play up to par in the Giants game including our HOF QB , Probowl CB and our coach of the year coach.

If we had a running game opening day, they might have been ranked highly there too.

Lot's of people bitch about stuff on these boards with no back up. I like guys that talk about defensive players. So many guys get down on AJ. For instance, you cant see 10% of the plays he's in on TV. Unless you have game film , it's difficult to judge. Most guys dont know that AJ was second to Barnett in every measurable category except picks on the 11th ranked defense in football for instance. I'd say he's earning his keep.