PDA

View Full Version : Chillar's Role on the Team

vince
06-04-2008, 04:55 PM
http://www.railbirdcentral.com/2008/06/chillars-role-on-team.html

Chillar's Role on the team.

Through the first several Organized Team Activity (OTA) practices, Brady Poppinga remains the starting strong side linebacker for the Green Bay Packers with new free agent pickup Brandon Chillar as the backup.

It's still early, and it's possible that Chillar could push for a starting job by September, but head coach Mike McCarthy seems set on having Chillar serve a very particular role for the Packers for the time being.

"Chillar gives us excellent flexibility," McCarthy told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "He can line up in all three positions, and by the time we're finished with our spring football here, he'll be able to play all three positions. He'll be part of the sub-packages, sub-personnel. Very athletic, and he definitely can run, and you have to be able to run at the linebacker position in our scheme. Really I like his work ethic. He came in from day one, jumped right into the off-season program, didn't miss a beat, and he's really done a very nice job of fitting in here."

But will the Packers pay Chillar a starter's money to sit the bench? And would he make better addition to the lineup than Brady Poppinga?

"Some observers have questioned whether or not Poppinga is better suited to be a backup and special teams player," writes Lori Nickel of the Journal Sentinel.

So will it be one of those types of platoons where Poppinga plays on early downs to defend against the run, and Chillar comes in on passing downs to defend against the pass? McCarthy admits that would play to the strength of Poppinga.

"When you play in the big-time games against the teams that like to pound the football, I thought his play was excellent (last year)," said McCarthy to the Journal Sentinel. "It's definitely his style of game."

McCarthy seems to have determined that rather than looking at it as one guy "beating out" the other, they're likely to play the guy(s) that match up well against certain opponents and situations. Both guys will see a lot of action over the course of the season...

I think the only guy that would be concerned about Chillar's pay would be Poppinga, and unless he comes on strong this year in slightly more specialized duty, I'm not sure he's a big concern for the team either way when his contract comes due.

It'll be interesting to see if Chillar can contend for one of the 2 backer spots in nickel situations. Last year, Barnett made a number of big interceptions in big situations...

vince
06-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Related article from Lori Nickel...

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=758233

texaspackerbacker
06-05-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm rooting for Popinga to keep his job. If Chillar beats him out, then start him, but I'm hoping the starter is an improved Popinga.