PDA

View Full Version : Bush to Try Out at Safety

vince
06-04-2008, 07:37 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Pelissero reported from McCarthy's press conference...

* CB Jarrett Bush at some point will begin practicing some at safety.
Harris and Woodson were both at practice today and Tramon Williams lined up at nickel.

If he's going to be the #6 CB, which at this point appears to be the case, he may need to be able to be flexible enough to play safety to stick.

DonHutson
06-04-2008, 07:49 PM
I like his chances of beating out Charlie Peprah or Tyrone Culver for the fourth S spot a lot better than I do his chances against Williams, Blackmon, and Lee for the last CB spot. Not that he will necessarily be a good safety, but that last S spot is the weakest in the backfield.

RashanGary
06-05-2008, 07:12 AM
I like his chances of beating out Charlie Peprah or Tyrone Culver for the fourth S spot a lot better than I do his chances against Williams, Blackmon, and Lee for the last CB spot. Not that he will necessarily be a good safety, but that last S spot is the weakest in the backfield.

Good point. He's also a hell of a gunner. It would be nice if he could play a position.

3irty1
06-05-2008, 07:28 AM

Good point. He's also a hell of a gunner. It would be nice if he could play a position.

Agreed. You'd like him around just for that. Plus he wasn't the worst nickle back in the world. This should be fun to watch in preseason. Going into last season I thought of him as a ball hawk mainly because of the preseason game where he picked off three passes, hopefully he can show some of that as a safety.

Packnut
06-05-2008, 08:54 AM

Agreed. You'd like him around just for that. Plus he wasn't the worst nickle back in the world. This should be fun to watch in preseason. Going into last season I thought of him as a ball hawk mainly because of the preseason game where he picked off three passes, hopefully he can show some of that as a safety.

Yes he was. It's one thing to get beat, but Bush was beaten BADLY on more than one play last season.

Lurker64
06-05-2008, 12:24 PM

Yes he was. It's one thing to get beat, but Bush was beaten BADLY on more than one play last season.

There's some pretty bad nickel backs in the world though. I mean, a couple years ago we had Grabby McSmurf playing the nickel. I think I'd rather have Bush back there.

3irty1
06-05-2008, 12:38 PM

Early in the season he was picked on badly and towards the end of the season other guys started getting reps at nickle where Williams semi-emerged. But I feel like there was a stretch of 6 or 7 games where Bush played very well and did a great job of staying off the TV screen. It wouldn't surprise me if he plays much better when he doesn't have his back to the ball and makes some plays like he did last preseason. I'd love for him to beat out some of the backup safeties so we can keep him as a gunner.

bobblehead
06-05-2008, 01:13 PM
I was predicting this on the old JS online site. Seemed to me he was a bad nickel corner, but a big hitter and relentless. He also has the size for safety, but tight hips. In the preseason last year he won that nickel spot by basically playing in a zone and picking off a few passes....sounds like a safety to me.

His coverage is below average, but might match up to a TE just fine, he plays the run very well and is strong for a corner, he sits in a zone and finds the ball fine....definately safety material, I predict he will flourish at this position, won't start, but you never know, he could make some noise.