PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever buy crap you don't need?

Harlan Huckleby
06-04-2008, 10:02 PM
I used to collect Grateful Dead concerts. Don't judge me.

Anyway, I don't listen to them much, just an occasional trip back memory lane. I have hundreds of concerts on CD, some bootlegs, some commercial releases.

So I popped into the GD web site, they have some new stuff that captures my fancy.

I need more Grateful Dead concerts like I need more assholes. I need to throw out most of what I already have, is what I need.

Yet ... I .... must ... have .... that new one that looks so good. I can't afford to waste money on CDs. Yet, I must.

Confess: what do you waste hard-earned money on?

MadtownPacker
06-04-2008, 11:32 PM
It's green and mean.

Deputy Nutz
06-04-2008, 11:42 PM
It's green and mean.

Oscar the Grouch dolls?

Partial
06-04-2008, 11:43 PM
How much stuff do you actually need? Food? Shelter? Clothing? Even the clothing is debatable.

So, I say yes.

Deputy Nutz
06-04-2008, 11:45 PM
How much stuff do you actually need? Food? Shelter? Clothing? Even the clothing is debatable.

So, I say yes.

Stop turning Greatful Dead concerts into a theoretical discussion.

Freak Out
06-05-2008, 12:12 AM
I need everything I buy. Even the Zappa DVDs.

http://www.zappa.com/flash/ttns/index.html

MadtownPacker
06-05-2008, 12:15 AM
It's green and mean.

Oscar the Grouch dolls?Fuck, I didnt think anyone would guess it.

Harlan Huckleby
06-05-2008, 12:21 AM
It's green and mean.

silly boy, this is medicine, medicine for your mind.

I'm refering to stupid purchases, frivilous stuff that you know you don't need but you can't help yourself.

I'm listening to a 1973 concert where the Allman Brothers drummer and guitarist played with the Grateful Dead. Great. Wish I had some mean and green.

oregonpackfan
06-05-2008, 01:29 AM
Still listening to Grateful Dead concert tapes, eh. "What a long strange trip it's been" for you Harlan! :)

Oscar
06-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Bought another guitar the other day. Something I didn't really need since I already own nearly 30. Couldn't resist.. :)

Zool
06-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Bought another guitar the other day. Something I didn't really need since I already own nearly 30. Couldn't resist.. :)

All your PRS are belong to me. PM me for shipping instructions plz.

Oscar
06-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Out of all the guitars.. I've never owned a Paul Reed Smith guitar. They build top quality stuff. I've watched a few on Ebay and they never go cheap. This last one I bought is a B.C.Rich Warlock.. I was in one of those 80's hair band kinda moods.. :lol:

Zool
06-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Nice. I have an old BC strat copy, a Hamer and a Les Paul. The Les Paul gets 95% of the play time for obvious reasons.

Oscar
06-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Cool. I own a Gibson SG series. It's kinda ugly compared to a Les Paul but has great sound. I bought it at a yard sale a few years back for 20 dollars.. Guess I was in the right place at the right time..lol

Zool
06-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Damnit! I always hear about these garage sale deals. Guy I know got a 58 Gibson tube amp for $20 once. Traded it for a VHT head straight up.

Oscar
06-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Funny thing..I hate garage sales. My wife more or less made me go. I would set in the car while she dug through all the crap. She walks up and says theres a guitar for 20 dollars. The rest is history. :lol:

GoPackGo
06-05-2008, 11:28 AM
In 1999 I bought 2 technic 1200 turntables and rane mixer. I taught myself how to mix and scratch hip hop records for houseparties on the UW and UWM campuses. My vinyl collection started slowly but since then it has grew to over 1000 records of many genres. My collection was getting obnoxiously huge. Records are heavy and my vinyl weighs a ton. 2 years ago I quit buying vinyl cold turkey.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-05-2008, 04:43 PM
In 1999 I bought 2 technic 1200 turntables and rane mixer. I taught myself how to mix and scratch hip hop records for houseparties on the UW and UWM campuses. My vinyl collection started slowly but since then it has grew to over 1000 records of many genres. My collection was getting obnoxiously huge. Records are heavy and my vinyl weighs a ton. 2 years ago I quit buying vinyl cold turkey.

THE ROOF
THE ROOF
THE ROOF IS ON FIRE!!

Vinyl is making a huge comeback. Output is increasing. You could definitelys sell some and make some good cash.

GoPackGo
06-05-2008, 04:47 PM
I thought about opening an ebay store. maybe I'll just open a real music store!

Tyrone Bigguns
06-05-2008, 05:09 PM
I thought about opening an ebay store. maybe I'll just open a real music store!

There is a relatively new record store in phoenix that only sells vinyl. Doing well. Not claiming he is becoming a millionaire, but plenty of people are buying vinyl...richer, warmer sound, etc.

Vinyl production is way up. Read a short article in RS about that as well.

And, turntable/record players are selling better as well.

Break out the vacuum tube amps!!

red
06-05-2008, 05:49 PM
just today i drove 45 minutes to go into town to look for the game fight night round 3, because for some reason i got it into my mind last night that i needed it. so i got the day off and went looking for it. spent 2 hours trying to find it, finally did. spent 30 bucks on it. and drove 45 minutes home. about 20 bucks worth of gas spent

played it for 2 hours. pulled it out of the machine and fired it at the wall. its now in 20 jagged little pieces

50 bucks down the drain for 2 hours of use

i mine as well have just gotten a hooker

i also always feel the need to buy guitars. whats the deal with that?

sheepshead
06-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Packer crap--actually have some pretty cool old pennants and every SI with a packer on the cover-ever!

Partial
06-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Not really. I spend 95% of my spending money at bars and dining establishments. I'm addicted to socializing.

Bretsky
06-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Why would I spend money on crap I don't need; I have a wife to do that :lol:

MJZiggy
06-05-2008, 09:38 PM
I am a sucker for books....and yarn!

Partial
06-05-2008, 09:42 PM

Amazon.com used books is amazing. I have probably one hundred books I bought for a dollar or 1.50

MJZiggy
06-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Friends of the library usually has them under $1. And they are right there at the farmers market...

SkinBasket
06-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Not really. I spend 95% of my spending money at bars and dining establishments. I'm addicted to socializing.

I wish I had the time to be addicted to socializing...

Harlan Huckleby
06-05-2008, 10:10 PM

Amazon.com used books is amazing. I have probably one hundred books I bought for a dollar or 1.50

ya, I've been getting a lot of used books on Amazon. Even with shipping its a great bargain. Maybe I've been lucky, but the books show-up like new.

I like used book stores, but they just can't compete with online. Used bookstores are chock-full of junk you have to sort through.

Partial
06-05-2008, 10:27 PM

Let's not go there. There is no point in going down that road.

Deputy Nutz
06-06-2008, 08:32 AM

Hey, going out once every two weeks is about all my social calendar will allow. I don't know what you are complaining about you have a PS3 and a Wii.