View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers bigger, stronger, smarter, more experienced

motife
06-07-2008, 12:46 PM
http://gnb.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=759936

Injury prone? Give Rodgers a chance
By Matt Tevsh
matttevsh@hotmail.com
Posted Jun 5, 2008

The new starting quarterback is bigger, smarter and more experienced, says Packer Report’s Matt Tevsh.

Enough is enough with all this “Aaron Rodgers is injury-prone” talk. In the simplest terms, at this time, it is ridiculous and unfair.
For goodness sakes, can the guy at least take his first snap as a starter?

Somewhere in the three-plus years as a backup in the NFL for the Packers, Rodgers has developed the reputation as being injury-prone by some fans and media. Just listen to the talk at practice or on sports radio, or read the blogs and articles. The feeling is definitely out there.

That is unfortunate, just like the inevitable comparisons to Brett Favre that are ahead for Rodgers this coming season, when, for the first time since 1992, the Packers will field a new starting quarterback.

Speaking of Favre, would it not be safe to say that the three-time league MVP was injury-prone? By several accounts, Favre had at least 16 documented injuries during his career. It was just that his toughness overshadowed them, and he had a sixth sense in avoiding the big hit and side-tepping oncoming rushers.

Maybe Rodgers can do the same. At least give him the chance.

“I think it does kind of bother me to say that (I’m injury-prone),” said Rodgers on May 21 after an off-season practice. “To me, when somebody says injury-prone, it has a negative connotation to it, and a lot of times people can say you’re soft because of it. I mean, I had a broken foot and a torn hamstring (the past two seasons). And the other thing is when people who have never played my position or even laced them up before are calling me injury-prone. I have a little bit of a problem with that. For anybody to call anybody in the NFL injury-prone is not a great idea unless you’ve played that position or the game for a long time because otherwise you don’t really know what it’s like to be an NFL player.

“I mean, yeah, you’re following somebody that had 250-straight starts plus. Obviously that’s the standard. If it’s an injury because of something you haven’t done in the off-season, some work that you can’t do on your body, that’s one thing. But the kind of work that I’ve put in, the kind of injuries I’ve had have kind of been fluke injuries. I’d say I’m one of the most flexible guys on the team.”

Rodgers is ready for a healthy year. Based on looks, he is bigger and stronger than ever, and based on his most recent, meaningful playing time, he is making progress with his “sixth sense.”

Filling in for the injured Favre last season in the biggest regular-season game of the year at Dallas, Rodgers not only showed a confident calmness, but much better pocket awareness than in past appearances. He got the ball out quicker, avoided the pass rush and read the defenses like a true pro. That is a recipe that guys like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning follow.

Contrast that Dallas game to other regular-season games Rodgers has seen action in, and there is a noticeable difference. Against the Ravens in 2005 and the Patriots in 2006 — granted, both were blowout losses — Rodgers was slow to react in the pocket and his ball security was a big issue.

Pocket presence will be a huge factor determining results for Rodgers in 2008 — not only in his production, but also with his health. Rodgers took a big shot on one run gaining a first down against the Cowboys last year, and probably knows this year that it will be safer to stay in the pocket, or at least slide sooner if he is going to run.

“Obviously, I want to play all 16 games, but things happen out there that you can’t control,” said Rodgers. “I just need to be smart as far as my decisions outside the pocket.”

As for Rodgers’ injuries — a broken foot suffered in 2006 and a hamstring late last year — there should be little concern. Both were freak happenings, as Rodgers alluded to. The first came running out of bounds, untouched, in the aforementioned game against the Patriots, and the second came on the last play of a practice. Neither had anything to do with being in a bad situation or making a mistake.

Rodgers is showing every sign this offseason of being a 16-game quarterback, so for those disbelievers, just wait and see. At least give him a chance because he has earned it after sitting on the bench for the past three years.

Matt Tevsh is a regular contributor to PackerReport

bobblehead
06-07-2008, 09:45 PM
pretty sure he threw that flexible line out there to impress the ladies.

the_idle_threat
06-07-2008, 11:37 PM
pretty sure he threw that flexible line out there to impress the ladies.

:lol: Yeah, that crossed my mind as well.

As for Rodgers’ injuries — a broken foot suffered in 2006 and a hamstring late last year — there should be little concern. Both were freak happenings, as Rodgers alluded to. The first came running out of bounds, untouched, in the aforementioned game against the Patriots, and the second came on the last play of a practice. Neither had anything to do with being in a bad situation or making a mistake.

I think the 'freak' nature of these injuries are exactly what has people concerned. If you suffer a broken foot running out of bounds untouched, then what will happen when you actualy get touched, i.e. get sacked thirty times over the course of a season? IMO, the injury questions are legitimate until he plays some games and proves them to be unfounded.

Packerarcher
06-09-2008, 10:30 AM
The only thing I have seen him more experienced at is running his mouth. All the interviews he has done lately about how he's the man,and not injury prone. Boy is old hang nail Rodgers gonna feel dumb when he goes down by the fourth game. Don't get me wrong I want AROD to succeed I just don't see it happening. I hope I have to eat these words. But I think by mid season TT will be wishing he would have picked up a vetran QB.

Bossman641
06-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Running his mouth? He has microphones in his face all the time telling him how people are writing him off before he even has a chance. I'm sure he's a little frustrated. I'd say he's hardly been running his mouth. I've been more impressed with how well he does interview and how he seems to choose his words carefully.

Patler
06-09-2008, 11:38 AM
If a first round draft pick who has sat on the bench for three years behind a HOF QB, when finally given the chance to start, didn't come across as confident and instead expressed concern about competition from a couple of rookies, I would be worried.

Rodgers should not perceive the rookies as a threat. He is in the driver's seat for the job, and he should know that.

Pugger
06-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Brett was lucky a couple of times too. I remember 2 occasions where he got hurt in a game but the following week the Packers had a bye so he had extra days to heal so he didn't miss a start. I think AR will be just a tough. Remember him playing a majority of that awful game against NE a couple of years ago on a broken foot?? :shock: