View Full Version : 2nd year players who should make impact

motife
06-07-2008, 12:50 PM
http://gnb.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=760145

Super sophs?
By Todd Korth
packrepted@aol.com
Posted Jun 6, 2008

Three players who have a chance to make impact with Packers in 2008, says Packer Report's Todd Korth

Take away Justin Harrell and the Green Bay Packers' class of 2007 was impressive last season. Kicker Mason Crosby, fullback Korey Hall and wide receiver James Jones stepped in and made an impact for the team as rookies.
Crosby, Hall and Jones again are expected to play important roles for the Packers. In training camp this year, Green Bay will be giving a few more players from that class an opportunity to help the team in a bigger way.

Considering their performance from last year, here are three sophomores who should emerge as potential starters in training camp this summer for the Packers:

Allen Barbre, Guard
Barbre has made some big improvements this offseason, not only in becoming more familiar with the scheme, but in his physique. The guard, taken by the Packers in the fourth round (119th overall) of the 2007 NFL draft, has gotten leaner and stronger this offseason, adding 16 pounds of lean muscle mass and losing 10 pounds of fat, according to coaches. That should help him in his competition in training camp against veteran Daryn Colledge for a starting spot at left guard this season.

Colledge has the starting experience, but he was inconsistent last season. If Colledge is unable to show improvement in camp and Barbre continues his progress, there will be a change at guard.

"Allen is in competition for one of the inside spots," said Packers coach Mike McCarthy. "Really just like we've had the last two years, we'll continue to play different combinations of players there. Daryn Colledge, you'll probably see him at every position on the line. Jason Spitz has done that for us in the past, and we're giving Junius Coston more work at center. It's just that flexibility, the uniqueness of the athletic ability of the offensive line; it's a very athletic group. Allen Barbre would probably be one of the more athletic guys in that group. You're just trying to prepare yourself for that 45-man roster. Those are always the toughest decisions to make. It's an easy trap to fall into; you sit there and work four, five, six centers during the course of spring and training camp, and then you come to game day and you only have two. That's really what we're trying to accomplish."

Aaron Rouse, Safety
When Rouse had a chance to play last season for the injured Nick Collins, he made the most of it. The lanky Rouse had two interceptions when stepping in for the injured Collins and a few big hits. He showed all kinds of potential, but at the same time showed that he can be prone to injuries.

Rouse missed a number of training camp practices last season with a hamstring injury. Later in the season, he hurt his knee. He played in 11 games with three starts, while Collins was out with a knee injury, but has a good chance of overtaking Collins in training camp this season, if he can stay on the field.

Rouse's ability to make an interception gives him a big edge over Collins, who has dropped numerous potential interceptions in the past three years. Rouse, taken in the third round (89th overall) last year, probably will win the starting job in camp this season if he can show an ability to cover receivers better than Collins. Collins has struggled at times covering tight ends and other receivers.

Atari Bigby, who had impressive season in his first year as a starter last year, appears to be locked in at the other starting safety position. That leaves Rouse and Collins duking it out.

"Aaron Rouse is having an excellent offseason," McCarthy said. "I'll tell you, he is very instinctive. He is getting his hands on the ball. You can see the comfort level of Aaron as a second-year player. It's kind of been the pattern around here for our young players, and I like that. It tells that the players are taking advantage of the program and the teaching. He is coming on. He is going to be someone that has a chance to maybe have an impact this year.

"There is competition throughout, and that's another position. I think Atari Bigby is really coming on strong. Nick Collins is as talented of a player that we have in our back end on the defensive perimeter. Charlie Peprah is another young man that just continues to improve, so that's an excellent group. You'll see (cornerback) Jarrett Bush at some point start working back there, too. There is a lot of talent back there. The competition has definitely picked up, so time will answer that question."

Justin Harrell, Defensive Tackle
The door is wide open for Harrell to make an impact for the Packers this season. With Corey Williams off to Cleveland, it is sink or swim time for the defensive tackle who was taken 16th overall in the draft last year by the Packers.

If Harrell can overcome offseason back surgery, and that's a big if, look for him to make the most of it. That's nothing more than a hunch at this time, probably a big-time stretch in fact, but who knows?

Harrell has a great attitude. He has the frame. He's got to be a little bit stronger and more knowledgeable of what's ahead now as compared to last year at this time. It is time for him to show Packers fans that he belongs in the starting lineup on a consistent basis.

The Packers will know early in camp whether he will be a contender for a starting job or a pretender. Thus far, Harrell has been nothing but a pretender. He was limited by injuries during his rookie season. If he has gotten stronger this offseason, maybe, just maybe, he will rise to the expectations that the Packers have of him.

The Packers need Harrell to step up and contribute in a bigger way this season. Harrell has a golden opportunity to rebound and make something of his NFL career. Will he? All Packers fans can do is hope.

Scott Campbell
06-07-2008, 07:06 PM
If Rouse helps our turnover ratio, I'd be willing to look the other way on a few miscues here and there.

MJZiggy
06-07-2008, 07:44 PM
I guess it'll depend on the burn/pick ratio...

Scott Campbell
06-07-2008, 07:51 PM

Keep in mind that Collins gets torched too. Only he doesn't get any INT's.

MJZiggy
06-07-2008, 08:01 PM
That's what I mean. Collins fails on the burn/pick ratio. Hopefully Rouse can pass it. Perform a little better in the cost/benefit analysis if you will...

red
06-07-2008, 09:07 PM

you mean the sharper ratio?

bobblehead
06-07-2008, 09:40 PM
no, jerry holmes coined that ratio long before sharper

LL2
06-07-2008, 09:47 PM
I'd love to see Rouse get more playing time and possibly be the starter. Collins had 3 years and he's average at best.

MJZiggy
06-07-2008, 10:10 PM
I'd love to see Rouse get more playing time and possibly be the starter. Collins had 3 years and he's average at best.

Understanding what you're saying, I just want to add that I wanna see him get that playing time and starting job by taking it.

Tony Oday
06-08-2008, 12:35 PM
can collins play CB?

bobblehead
06-08-2008, 01:42 PM
can collins play CB?

No, his skill set is actually LB, but he is too small. He doesn't locate the ball well enough for a safety, no way he can do it as a corner. His only hope is that he suddenly becomes so comfortable in the system that he is able to focus on playing the position instead of worrying about assignments....it could happen, but I'm not holding my breath.

vince
06-08-2008, 01:56 PM
My hope is that he becomes one of those experienced veteran backups that some have been clamoring for TT to acquire...

falco
06-08-2008, 02:37 PM
also, look for tramon williams to become a starter this year

bobblehead
06-08-2008, 06:16 PM
also, look for tramon williams to become a starter this year

I am high on Williams, but the only way he becomes a starter is if one of our top two suffer an injury of flat out stinks. I'm hoping that won't happen. Williams can wait just a tad longer.

RashanGary
06-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Williams playing well last year was a big suprise. There really are not all that many good CB's that can play bump and run the way we do. For Willaims to play as well as he did is very promising and that is before you consider his age and experience level. He may be a guy who has a very, very high cieling. I'm looking forward to seeing him play this year as much as any 2nd year player.

oregonpackfan
06-08-2008, 08:43 PM
James Jones may also be a second year player to make an impact. Some people are writing him off simply because the Packers drafted Jordy Nelson.

It often takes 3 years for a WR to fully develop at the pro level. Jones actually saw plenty of action last year for a rookie. Except for the two strips/fumbles in the Bears game at Lambeau, he had a very solid rookie season.

I look for him to improve and actually strengthen the Packers' receiver corps.

3irty1
06-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Williams playing well last year was a big suprise. There really are not all that many good CB's that can play bump and run the way we do. For Willaims to play as well as he did is very promising and that is before you consider his age and experience level. He may be a guy who has a very, very high cieling. I'm looking forward to seeing him play this year as much as any 2nd year player.

Agreed. We've got a few exceptional athletes at CB. I'd love to see any of them pan out this year.

Tarlam!
06-09-2008, 12:29 AM
My biggest hope is for Harrel to finally pan out. After watching his very first interview I was over optimistic it seems. His latest interview saw him with a very smug look on his face and a "who gives a shit" demeanor in his voice.

I admit, he sounded like an athlete that has been paid and now wants the easy life.

Boy, I hope I am wrong.

Bossman641
06-09-2008, 08:29 AM
I actually have pretty high hopes for Jackson. I know it's the offseason, but there has been a lot of praise directed his way from MM, E. Bennett, and Rock.

The Leaper
06-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Brandon Jackson has the physical ability to be a very good back, especially as a receiver out of the backfield. As a 3rd down back, he could make a major impact on checkdowns as a receiver this year. I think we'll see a lot of improvement this year from Jackson.

cpk1994
06-09-2008, 03:04 PM
no, jerry holmes coined that ratio long before sharperHowever, Sharper perfected it.

oregonpackfan
06-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Brandon Jackson has the physical ability to be a very good back, especially as a receiver out of the backfield. As a 3rd down back, he could make a major impact on checkdowns as a receiver this year. I think we'll see a lot of improvement this year from Jackson.

Leaper,

There were a couple of times late in the season where Jackson caught a swing pass out of the backfield. I was amazed at how quickly he turned the corner along the sideline. If I recall, one of those catches went for a touchdown.

I agree that he certainly is a 2nd year player who has the potential to make an impact this year.

woodbuck27
06-11-2008, 08:21 AM
My hope is that he becomes one of those experienced veteran backups that some have been clamoring for TT to acquire...

Of course, we all expected so much more from Nick Collins, when TT used a second round pick to secure this highly heralded ready for the NFL College star.

With the first pick in round 2, after TT goes QB in round one (Brett Favre our starter - anyone?) . Was Nick Collins the best player available at our pick in round two? Despite ''the fact'' this was Ted Thompson's man.

A lot here surely wondered and exclaimed from home: ''What was that, or worse ?'' :)

Nick Collins Safety/Cornerback...

from Bethune-Cookman - 5'11" - 206 lbs. Uhhhh!

http://www.packers.com/draft/2005/nickcollins.phtml

''What was that ??'' Your seeing it. :)

The learning curve.

Deputy Nutz
06-11-2008, 08:38 AM

Of course, we all expected so much more from Nick Collins, when TT used a second round pick to secure this highly heralded ready for the NFL College star.

A lot here wondered and exclaimed from home.

''What was that ?''

Your seeing it. :)

It is hard to argue Nick Collins physical abilities, Although he hasn't been a ball hawk and reaction to play action passing is underdeveloped, he has started for three seasons. Not bad for a second round pick. I hope Rouse, another of Thompson draft picks beats him out this year, but wait and see, Collins isn't Ahmad Carroll, the light can go on with this guy and if it does in 2008 I think you have a really good football player on your hands. If not, I still think it he was well worth the second round selection.

woodbuck27
06-11-2008, 09:11 AM

A lot here wondered and exclaimed from home.

''What was that ?''

Your seeing it. :)

It is hard to argue Nick Collins physical abilities, Although he hasn't been a ball hawk and reaction to play action passing is underdeveloped, he has started for three seasons. Not bad for a second round pick. I hope Rouse, another of Thompson draft picks beats him out this year, but wait and see, Collins isn't Ahmad Carroll, the light can go on with this guy and if it does in 2008 I think you have a really good football player on your hands. If not, I still think it he was well worth the second round selection.

Nutz:

There isn't a soul on this board that isn't looking for Nick Collins to get to where we once deemed his potential. I voted for him to make the Pro Bowl three seasons ago.

Yes he's started, because he was the best we had @ FS.This season will challenge Nick Collins like none since he was drafted. He doesn't win by default.

Patler
06-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I am certainly not a rabid fan of Collins, but there seems to be a higher regard for him among many in football than we perhaps accept. When safeties are ranked, he often seems to come out much better than I would expect, and he was a Pro-Bowl alternate this year. His support had to come from some where, and certainly had to be for over all performance and value, because he sure didn't impress anyone with his interceptions total!

I have a hard time figuring out how good he really is or isn't.

run pMc
06-11-2008, 10:29 AM
I am certainly not a rabid fan of Collins, but there seems to be a higher regard for him among many in football than we perhaps accept. When safeties are ranked, he often seems to come out much better than I would expect

I agree. Collins has his supporters. From what I can tell, he doesn't make many plays but he doesn't break many either. It would be great to see him turn into another Ronnie Lott, but if his name isn't mentioned much by the announcers, maybe that means he's doing his job.
I recall seeing some kind of statistical analysis (wish I could find the link) of CB's and S's...Jarrett Bush and Collins actually graded out pretty well.

That being said, I think improved competition at that spot will be good for the team, and Rouse should push him for the starting role.

Patler
06-11-2008, 10:58 AM
That being said, I think improved competition at that spot will be good for the team, and Rouse should push him for the starting role.

I agree, except he might also be pushing Bigby. Everyone just assumes that Bigby is ahead of Collins, but I'm not certain of that. Bigby had his interceptions and plays of notice, but he also made mistakes (more early in the season than later). I guess my point is that it might not be inconceivable that the starters could be Collins and Rouse, rather than Bigby and Rouse.

All in all, a good situation for the team.

Bretsky
06-11-2008, 07:14 PM
I am certainly not a rabid fan of Collins, but there seems to be a higher regard for him among many in football than we perhaps accept. When safeties are ranked, he often seems to come out much better than I would expect, and he was a Pro-Bowl alternate this year. His support had to come from some where, and certainly had to be for over all performance and value, because he sure didn't impress anyone with his interceptions total!

I have a hard time figuring out how good he really is or isn't.

IMO Collins is decent; he covers alright and at times gets a jump on the ball

Fans trash him because he misses so many of the INT's.....the obvious ones a decent safety catches. If he'd start making those INT's he'd be a very solid Safety.