PDA

View Full Version : McFadden Signs for 6/60

vince
06-08-2008, 10:08 AM
$26 million guaranteed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3428598

Such is the penalty (or benefit, depending on your perspective) of such a high draft position...

McFadden is expected to share the running back position with Justin Fargas.
Fargas signed for 3/12 this offseason.

Kind of puts a 5/20 or 6/23 contract for Grant into perspective... Hopefully, Grant doesn't get too greedy.

oregonpackfan
06-08-2008, 12:46 PM
The contract amounts for the top 10 #1 draft picks the past couple of years have been astronomical! It almost makes you think some GM's would shy away from #1 picks as the contract will bankrupt their payroll..

Scott Campbell
06-08-2008, 01:22 PM
The contract amounts for the top 10 #1 draft picks the past couple of years have been astronomical! It almost makes you think some GM's would shy away from #1 picks as the contract will bankrupt their payroll..

I think this will get fixed pretty quickly. The NBA figured it out a long time ago. It's pretty ridiculous when you think about it. The union membership has every reason in the world to adjust the rookie pool downward, as all that money will end up in their dues paying members hands.

KYPack
06-08-2008, 02:52 PM
I've made a ton of predictions that were wrong, but at least I was too chicken to post 'em.

One thing I thought would happen this year was more trading out of the first round.
This draft was deep, but thin at the top. The move TT made was perfect in my eyes.

The Raiders signed the two guys I would be very reluctant to give high dollar long terms to in the last two drafts. It must be wrong if the Silver and Black does it.

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-08-2008, 05:37 PM
McFadden hasn't proven he can play in the NFL yet he gets a 10 mil dollar contract, simply amazing. Pay Grant now before he starts the comparison game.

Guiness
06-08-2008, 11:22 PM
The Raiders signed the two guys I would be very reluctant to give high dollar long terms to in the last two drafts. It must be wrong if the Silver and Black does it.

no kidding - if those two guys don't pan out, they're going to be losing for a long time.

No matter where the cap ends up, it sure doesn't take teams long to start bumping against it. If they wanted cut McF or JW in a couple of years, I bet they'll have to cut other guys to get under the cap.

Here's a great quote from the Raiders camp

Raiders coach Lane Kiffin says Javon Walker is "picking up the offense fine," but reiterated that Walker is out of shape.
"Javon's a little heavy right now," Kiffin said. "We're going to continue this offseason to get (his weight) down by training camp and the regular season. We've got a long way to go."

Tarlam!
06-09-2008, 05:54 AM
What would theoretically occur id all 32 teams "passed" in the 1st round?

I guess they would go to the 2nd round, right?

Or even better, passed on the entire draft? 32 teams out there fight for undrafted rookie free agents.

Now, THAT would be something to see.

No, I am NOT drinking!

Lurker64
06-09-2008, 12:21 PM

Or even better, passed on the entire draft? 32 teams out there fight for undrafted rookie free agents.

No, I am NOT drinking!

It would be something to see, but the problem is that as soon as people start turning in picks after other people have passed, the whole draft becomes chaos.

Suppose part of the draft order is A, B, C. If A passes the pick, and B makes the pick, then A does not have priority over C nor does C have priority over A. The next pick goes to whoever turns in their card first between A, C.

Now imagine all 32 teams pass in the first round, then the first pick of the second round goes to whichever team turns in their card first, and the second pick goes to the second card, etc. Not only would people likely get trampled in the Chaos, but this mechanic makes it hard to convince people with high draft picks to go along with this.

It certainly would make draft day tense and exciting though.

Patler
06-09-2008, 12:30 PM

No, I am NOT drinking!

If they don't get a new CBA taken care of, all teams will "pass" in all rounds, because there will be no draft!!

Deputy Nutz
06-09-2008, 12:32 PM
McFadden hasn't proven he can play in the NFL yet he gets a 10 mil dollar contract, simply amazing. Pay Grant now before he starts the comparison game.

Grant has no leverage unless he doesn't ever want to play football again. He basically has to sign a deal, he can't wait for free agency, and it is not like he is already a blockbuster type player he was a 2nd year rookie that had a great half of a season. Sure I think he deserves to earn 7 figures, but I don't think he needs anything close to 8 figures.

MJZiggy
06-09-2008, 06:34 PM

No, I am NOT drinking!

If they don't get a new CBA taken care of, all teams will "pass" in all rounds, because there will be no draft!!

Then what the hell are we gonna talk about in March and April???

Scott Campbell
06-09-2008, 06:38 PM

No, I am NOT drinking!

I gotta believe they'll get it done. Aren't there a bunch of poison pills in there that will screw both sides if they don't?

Scott Campbell
06-09-2008, 06:40 PM

Your garden?

Bretsky
06-09-2008, 07:36 PM

No, I am NOT drinking!

Same thing as we talk about during free agency in May June and July :lol:

MJZiggy
06-09-2008, 07:55 PM

Your garden?

I didn't know it was that fascinating a topic...(peas are blooming by the way)

Scott Campbell
06-09-2008, 08:20 PM

Your garden?

I didn't know it was that fascinating a topic...(peas are blooming by the way)

...gotta love freshly picked veggies.

Guiness
06-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Just stopping by to join the discussion of MJZiggy's patch

MJZiggy
06-09-2008, 09:10 PM

While we're on the topic, how--um--shit, now you've left me no way to ask how you're supposed to use arugula without it sounding dirty!

By the way, Scott, the veggies aren't ready yet, but pasta with fresh cut chives and oregano..YUM!!

Scott Campbell
06-09-2008, 09:25 PM

While we're on the topic, how--um--shit, now you've left me no way to ask how you're supposed to use arugula without it sounding dirty!

By the way, Scott, the veggies aren't ready yet, but pasta with fresh cut chives and oregano..YUM!!

I've been cutting fresh chives into cottage cheese for a couple of weeks here. Good stuff!