PDA

View Full Version : JAVON WALKER TO DENVER- IT'S PERSONAL

Bretsky
06-09-2008, 08:03 PM
SOUND FAMILIAR ??

Walker's message to Broncos: It's personal
Williamson

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=williamson_bill&id=3427289

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Javon Walker admits he has a strong distaste for the Denver Broncos. He refers to them as "that team."

Walker wants to make it clear he still loves the city of Denver. He has decided to make it his home after playing there for two seasons. Yet a residence in the Rocky Mountains is the only positive experience the former first-round pick of the Green Bay Packers said he got out of his Denver days.

That's why Walker is so looking forward to the 2008 season opener. It's more than proving he can still be a dominant No. 1 receiver, and it's more than proving Oakland wasn't out of its financial mind by giving him a six-year, $55 million deal (with a staggering $16 million in guarantees) despite his history of knee trouble.

Walker is looking forward to the opener because he gets to face "that team."

On Sept. 8, on ESPN's "Monday Night Football," Denver will visit Oakland in what is one of the game's most heated rivalries. Walker is all aboard the spite train. The day after the game was announced at the NFL owners' meetings, Raiders coach Lane Kiffin said he texted his new No. 1 receiver about the news. He said Walker sent back a spirited text that displayed just how ready he is for that game.

Two months later, the fire is still burning in Walker, who practiced just once a day during the team's just-completed minicamp and is still shaking off the effects of his second knee surgery in two years. Kiffin has twice said this offseason that Walker needs to lose some weight. Still, Walker said he'll be 100 percent ready to face Denver.

[+] Enlarge
Javon Walker

AP Photo/Paul Sakuma

Javon Walker is chomping at the bit to face his former team in the 2008 season opener.

"That team is going to see me in the opener," Walker said. "They are going to see me, I'll tell you that. They'll see what they are missing."

It seems Al Davis has a new fellow Bronco hater in Oakland. That alone might be worth the $55 million Davis is paying Walker.

When Walker arrived in Denver, it was supposed to be a perfect match.

The Broncos, coming off a trip to the AFC title game, needed a playmaker at receiver and Walker wanted out of Green Bay after the 2005 season in which he suffered a torn ACL in the first game the season. Walker's first season in Denver was successful as he had 69 catches and eight touchdowns and seemed on his way to a solid marriage in Denver.

Then, things started to fall apart. Walker was sitting next to Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams in a limousine when Williams was shot and killed in a drive-by shooting. Walker was filmed hours after the shooting wearing a shirt with Williams' blood on it.

Walker still downplays the aftereffects of the tragedy as being part of his unhappiness as a Bronco. On the last day of the year, the day after Denver finished the season 7-9, Walker exploded, saying he wasn't a good fit for the Broncos in a rambling diatribe. Broncos insiders said the team's brass was already tiring of Walker and that episode sealed his fate. Denver unceremoniously dumped Walker in February.

Walker's attributes his demise in Denver to the Broncos and the way they handled his knee injury. While in Dallas for some training camp work against the Cowboys last summer, Walker experienced swelling in his surgically repaired knee. He said he dealt with the issue and kept practicing daily.

In the first two games of the season, two Denver wins, Walker looked like the same player he was the season prior, grabbing 17 balls and being a key offensive component. However, in the third game, a home loss to Jacksonville, Walker had just two catches.

He said that was the beginning of the end of his time in Denver.

"I was open and they didn't get me the ball," Walker said. "Here I was busting my butt, draining my knee, to be able to go out and make plays and they didn't get me the ball. After that, I started to take care of my knee."

Shortly after the Jaguars game, Walker had arthroscopic surgery and missed the next seven games. When he returned the Broncos were 5-5, but he made little impact on the team that went 2-4 down the stretch. Walker had just seven catches in the final six games.

That made him even angrier at what was soon going to be his former club.

"I was ready in those final games and they just didn't want me to be a part of the offense," Walker said. "It just didn't work for me there with that team. They wanted me to take a pay cut in the middle of the season. They just didn't care about me. I'm glad I'm out of there."

Privately, the Broncos are happy Walker is gone, too. Team insiders said Walker, who wore out his welcome in Green Bay as well as Denver, was selfish and was more interested in his personal numbers than the team's success.

Walker insists he is a team player and is looking forward to an Oakland renaissance, both personally and for the franchise.

"'This team gets me," Walker said. "They know what I can do for them. The coaches want me to get the ball here. I just can't wait to show what I can do in the first game against that team."

Scott Campbell
06-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Javon has clearly been persecuted by both the Green Bay Packers and Denver Broncos - through no fault of his own. Team's need to stop treating Javon so unfairly.

Scott Campbell
06-09-2008, 08:17 PM
"They'll see what they are missing."

I think the only thing they'll be missing is that 2nd round pick and the ridiculous amount of money they paid him last year.

RashanGary
06-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Javon was a good player for one or two years in the NFL, but man, I'm glad we had that extra 2nd round pick and ended up with a now 25 year old Jennings heading into his prime full steam rather than a 30 year old Walker coming off 2 knee surgeries and needing to "lose weight".

Even Ted's worst moves look good over time.

RashanGary
06-09-2008, 08:50 PM
For comparisons sake:

Jennings

Age - 25
Yards - 1550 in 2 years
YPC - 15.8
TD's - 15
Attitude - Great Guy
Knee surgeries - 0

Walker

Age - 30
Yards - 3,850 in 6 years
YPC - 15.1
TD's - 30
Attitude - Complete head case
Knee surgeries - 2

For as great as everyone says Walker is, he's averaging 640 yards per season with 5 TD's. Jennings is averaging 775 yards and 7.5 TD's per season. Jennings is also just a pup entering hsi prime and Walker is about to fall off. TT - what an idiot :) :)

The only thing Javon was better at was his big play making - oh wait, Jennings has a better YPC and more TD's. Huh? Maybe the way a player plays the game is more important than how he looks in pads. Never would have guessed it.

Bretsky
06-09-2008, 09:03 PM
For comparisons sake:

Jennings

Age - 25
Yards - 1550 in 2 years
YPC - 15.8
TD's - 15
Attitude - Great Guy
Knee surgeries - 0

Walker

Age - 30
Yards - 3,850 in 6 years
YPC - 15.1
TD's - 30
Attitude - Complete head case
Knee surgeries - 2

For as great as everyone says Walker is, he's averaging 640 yards per season with 5 TD's. Jennings is averaging 775 yards and 7.5 TD's per season. Jennings is also just a pup entering hsi prime and Walker is about to fall off. TT - what an idiot :) :)

The only thing Javon was better at was his big play making - oh wait, Jennings has a better YPC and more TD's. Huh? Maybe the way a player plays the game is more important than how he looks in pads. Never would have guessed it.

Unless I remember things incorrectly I believe the pick for Javon netted Darren Colledge, Will Blackmond, and one other late round pick of TT

RashanGary
06-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Colledge, Jolly, Blackmon and Martin is correct (I think), but he did get a 2nd round pick for Walker and in that same draft he drafted Jennings with a 2nd round pick. I think it's very fair to compare the guy TT replaced Walker with to Walker (esspecially when what he got for Walker was about equal to what he gave up for Jennings)

Scott Campbell
06-09-2008, 09:09 PM
I think it's very fair to compare the guy TT replaced Walker with to Walker.

It certainly wasn't the death of the franchise as some were predicting.

RashanGary
06-09-2008, 09:16 PM
It certainly wasn't the death of the franchise as some were predicting.

Way back when, that was the most annoying part of it all. Nobody really had the answers but it was insane to listen to the sarcastic, degrading tone of those who were convinced Ted was driving this team off a cliff. The arrogance was over the top. As I recall, those who saw postive signs with the Ted Thompson regime wanted time to have things played out and those who hated him wanted it judged on the spot with no regard for the natural unfolding of any decision in any area of life. There was also no regard to the state of the team Thompson inherited. In many cases there was complete denial for how bad things really were and if it were honestly discussed now, I would guess there is still a lot of denial for just how shallow and unstable that roster was in 2004/2005 (both in financial terms and in terms of having very little up and coming talent)

Scott Campbell
06-09-2008, 09:23 PM
That's why they play the games. Who knows, they could suck this year. Then Ted's back in the doghouse.

CaliforniaCheez
06-09-2008, 09:24 PM
It's difficult for him to overcome his Wonderlic score.

RashanGary
06-09-2008, 09:36 PM
That's why they play the games. Who knows, they could suck this year. Then Ted's back in the doghouse.

I really don't see the mass melt down of 3 years ago. The depth, youth and salary cap stablity of this years Packers doesn't seem to be anywhere near the disaster of the aging, cap troubled, depthless team of 3 years ago.

bobblehead
06-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Hmmmm......

Jevon Walker:

2004 Green Bay Packers 16 12 89 1,382 15.5 79T 12 -- -- -- -- -- 2 2
2003 Green Bay Packers 16 3 41 716 17.5 66T 9 2 1 0.5 1 0 1 1
2002 Green Bay Packers 15 2 23 319 13.9 30 1 1 11 11.0 11 0 1 1
TOTAL 252 3,815 15.1 83 30 14 132 9.4 72 1 4 4

Ryan Grant:

2007 188 956 5.1 66 8 30 145 4.8 21 0 1 1
Career 188 956 5.1 66 8 30 145 4.8 21 0 1 1
Postseason - 2007 40 230 5.8 43 3 3 3 1.0 11 0 2 2

Now how many of you clamoring to LOCK HIM UP are laughing at Denver for paying walker big money. And don't say the situation is different, Walker started out "doing it the right way" too. He said all the right things right up until after he got injured.

and don't say walker was under contract, he had the same option grant has, to sit at home.

mission
06-09-2008, 10:01 PM
i believe John C. Maxwell defined the Law of Bob as:

When Javon has a problem with everyone, the problem is usually Javon.

Or Bob? I can't remember ...

bobblehead
06-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Hell, while I'm at it:

Samkon Gado:

2005 GB 8 143 582 4.0 6 3 10 77 7.7 1 0

HarveyWallbangers
06-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Now how many of you clamoring to LOCK HIM UP are laughing at Denver for paying walker big money. And don't say the situation is different, Walker started out "doing it the right way" too. He said all the right things right up until after he got injured.

and don't say walker was under contract, he had the same option grant has, to sit at home.

Not comparable, IMHO. Walker was looking to get paid ELITE money. Grant just wants a decent long-term deal. He isn't looking to break the bank.

bobblehead
06-09-2008, 10:33 PM

Not comparable, IMHO. Walker was looking to get paid ELITE money. Grant just wants a decent long-term deal. He isn't looking to break the bank.
If you are right then I agree, not the same, but the truth is we don't know for sure what grant wants. I hope you are right and he is being reasonable in his demands. But also, Walker had done a lot more over his time than grant has.

MadtownPacker
06-09-2008, 11:14 PM
No surprise here. jtalk will never amount to shit.

I cant believe he is one of the top 5 paid WRs in the NFL. Saw it mentioned when TO got his new contract.

Scott Campbell
06-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Hmmmm......

Jevon Walker:

Ryan Grant:

Unless Grant starts acting like a complete ass and whining about earning but not receiving a Purple Heart, I don't see any similarity.

Lurker64
06-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Obviously we have a chance to be a Superbowl team. Obviously the Raiders have a chance to win four games.

Kiwon
06-10-2008, 02:27 AM
Javon has clearly been persecuted by both the Green Bay Packers and Denver Broncos - through no fault of his own. Team's need to stop treating Javon so unfairly.

J Walk is the Jeremiah Wright of the NFL......misunderstood and taken out of context. He's never responsible for anything attributed to him.

Tarlam!
06-10-2008, 02:58 AM
I turned off of J-Walk in the JSO days. When he compared his situation to the situation the fine men and woman in uniform face in war, he lost me.

I remember HH defending him vehemently at that time, also.

When I think of what could have been had he been anything like Jennings (in terms of character).

Anyways, he's finally found a team that gets "him". I wonder if he will ever get the "team".

vince
06-10-2008, 07:06 AM
Hmmmm......

Jevon Walker:

Ryan Grant:

The situation is different. Absolutely no comparison whatsoever here. Well the only reason to compare them is to demonstrate their differences.

Attitude: Replace Jenning's name with Grant in JH's post above. Walker sat out of training camp while under contract the year prior to getting injured as well. Had he started out "doing it the right way," things very well could have been different between he and the Packers.

Contract: Walker negotiated his original six-year, multi-million dollar deal, which he explicitly negotiated into the deal that the last year was voidable by him. After that fact, he decided that he should opt out of it two years prior to that.

Grant had his contract imposed upon him by the league and players union long before he came to the table.

Both had/have the option to "sit at home." That's where the similarities end.

The differences are:
One was offered and has agreed to a multi-million dollar contract contract one hasn't.
One is handling things "the right way" and one didn't.
One acted like he thougt he was God's gift to football and one isn't.
One was a consummate team player and one wasn't.
One is a perfect fit for a new offense and one wasn't.
One burned bridges in the media and one didn't.
One acts and plays with intelligence and one didn't.
One has been described by his coach as an extremely hard worker, a highly intelligent football player and one of the most consistent performers in practice and in games that he's ever seen and one wasn't.

I also think it's inaccurate to suggest that many of those who disagreed with Walker's approach (and supported the decision to unleash him rather than give in to his ridiculous tactics and selfish demands) didn't wish he had the intelligence and attitude that Grant and others have shown. I for one wished that he had back then. But he didn't.

RashanGary
06-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Javon Walker was an extremely hard worker. In a time when many Packers were showing up out of shape under the previous coach, Walker always showed up in premium condition ready to play. The play he was injured was a very impressive play. He just ran away from that DB like he was an 8th grader playing with 5th graders. I didn't watch all of his games, but he seems to have lost his dominate edge after that knee surgery and now he had yet another.

You can say a lot of things about Javon Walker. Maybe the most important in this case is what a complete idiot he is. The guy just had no clue. The blank stare should have given it away from the start, but there really is very little going on in that head. I've never heard him make an intelligent comment in all off the comments he's made while with GB and outside of GB.

Hard worker though. You can't take that away from the idiot.

cpk1994
06-10-2008, 07:45 AM
Hmmmm......

Jevon Walker:

Ryan Grant:

and don't say walker was under contract, he had the same option grant has, to sit at home.Wrong. Walker WAS under contract. In fact he had two years left when he started bitching and threating a holdout. And that was before the injury. Grant is not under contract. Two totally different situations.

Patler
06-10-2008, 07:52 AM

Walker started "doing things wrong" in the off season BEFORE he was injured. He threatened to hold out, stayed away from off season things etc. He did that at a time when the Packers had major cap problems. They were trying to deal with Sharper, Rivera and Wahle, they had other contracts due, and still more before Walkers in two years. However, Walker threatened a hold out while still under contract, in essence trying to "get his" before other deserving teammates that were ahead of him in contract due dates, at a time when the Packers did not have a lot of money to spread around. Compare that to the low profile Grant has taken, his participation and attendance at off season things, etc.

There is a fundamental difference in situations between a player under contract threatening to hold, and another player not under contract negotiating to get a contract better than what was offered initially by the team, especially when one was making millions on his contract and the other has been paid and is being offered the same as the now-departed Joe Toledo.

If you must compare Grant to sometime in Walker's career, the more accurate comparison would be when Walker was drafted. Walker was not under contract, and so long s the team made a minimum qualifying offer to him, he had two options, sign the contract or sit at home. Grant is simply trying to do what drafted rookies do, negotiate something better than a minimum qualifying offer from the team.

sharpe1027
06-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Walker was making eight figures when he held out. He also got a decent signing bonus. Grant is playing for the league minimum with virtually no signing bonus.

Tarlam!
06-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Compare that to the low profile Grant has taken, his participation and attendance at off season things, etc.

Not to mention, the Packers today have trillions to spend.

MadtownPacker
06-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Grant hasn't held out yet so there is no way he can be compared to the jamoron walker. I can sympathize with Grant to a point. With walker I said "fuck him" almost immediately. My only concern with Grant is that he will get injured from lack of offseason prep.

HarveyWallbangers
06-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Walker was making eight figures when he held out. He also got a decent signing bonus. Grant is playing for the league minimum with virtually no signing bonus.

To be fair: Walker's rookie deal was 6y/$9.5M, so he wasn't quite making the type of money you are suggesting. I know it was just short of 8 figures, but it was only a little over $1.5M/year. I don't think it was unreasonable for him to seek a better deal at the time, but he went about it in a bad way. The Packers were cap-strapped and he made the negotiations contentious.

MadtownPacker
06-10-2008, 11:33 AM
To be fair: Walker's rookie deal was 6y/$9.5M, so he wasn't quite making the type of money you are suggesting. I know it was just short of 8 figures, but it was only a little over $1.5M/year. I don't think it was unreasonable for him to seek a better deal at the time, but he went about it in a bad way. The Packers were cap-strapped and he made the negotiations contentious.Didnt his stupid ass choose the 6 years?

Deputy Nutz
06-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Grant hasn't held out yet so there is no way he can be compared to the jamoron walker. I can sympathize with Grant to a point. With walker I said "fuck him" almost immediately. My only concern with Grant is that he will get injured from lack of offseason prep.

I don't believe Walker held out. He showed up for camp in 2004.

MadtownPacker
06-10-2008, 12:00 PM
I don't believe Walker held out. He showed up for camp in 2004.He missed a lot of the offseason crap and screw you for defending him anyways!

Deputy Nutz
06-10-2008, 12:01 PM
I don't believe Walker held out. He showed up for camp in 2004.He missed a lot of the offseason crap and screw you for defending him anyways!

Grant is not taking part of OTAs he is in attendance, but is not practicing.

MadtownPacker
06-10-2008, 12:03 PM

Grant is not taking part of OTAs he is in attendance, but is not practicing.I saw pictures of him riding the stationary bike near the shitters. Does that count?

It tells me he respects/cares about his teammates enough to show up.

bobblehead
06-10-2008, 12:21 PM
At this point, I don't lump grant in with walker.

BUT....the contract walker got was more or less "slotted" by his draft position. He outplayed it big time.

The contract grant isn't signing is "slotted" for a second year guy who didn't get drafted. He outplayed it big time.

Walker stayed in phenomenal shape and said things like "I love this organization" "We are a great team, but I have to think about my future as well" Grant has done and said all the right things up to this point as well.

Walker didn't become an asshat until after his injury and rehab. We haven't seen Grant in that situation yet. I agree with most I don't think he will become such, but you never know.

If the packers offered Grant a contract equal to the #16 pick in the draft this year should he sign it?? Or say the same deal Harrell got last year? No you all seem to think he deserves much more simply because he wasn't good enough to get a multi year deal in the first place.

Is he under contract...no, but he is the exclusive property of the packers for the offer on the table("slotted" by his not being drafted), he has two choices if they play hardball. Sign or sit.

JWalk was under his "slotted" contract based on his draft position. He had two choices, play for that or sit.

I AM NOT defending JWalk, but I am being much harder on Grant than the rest of you. He should have signed the offer and told TT he wanted to work out a longer deal please. He should be working out with his team right now. If he put in 7-10 good games TT would have given him a better deal than Donald Lee got. This way..I'm not so sure.

sharpe1027
06-10-2008, 04:01 PM

To be fair: Walker's rookie deal was 6y/$9.5M, so he wasn't quite making the type of money you are suggesting. I know it was just short of 8 figures, but it was only a little over $1.5M/year. I don't think it was unreasonable for him to seek a better deal at the time, but he went about it in a bad way. The Packers were cap-strapped and he made the negotiations contentious.

My mistake, I meant 7 figures. My math skills have failed me again.

motife
06-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Javon Walker is unlikely to even start for the Raiders, per team sources after seeing him in offseason workouts.

Tarlam!
06-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Walker didn't become an asshat until after his injury and rehab.

This is flat out incorrect. He held out before he was injured. Many people wonder if he had done the training, would he have indeed been so susceptible to injury.

I vividly remember the discussions. He acted like an idiot that whole pre season.

Patler
06-11-2008, 04:41 AM

Walker skipped all activities completely, including the mandatory minicamp. He simply wasn't there at all.

Grant is at everything, did the conditioning stuff, is attending class room and coaching things. The only thing he is not doing is the on-the-field stuff; but he is there, observing, just like the injured players.

Big difference, in my opinion.

woodbuck27
06-11-2008, 08:06 AM

Walker skipped all activities completely, including the mandatory minicamp. He simply wasn't there at all.

Grant is at everything, did the conditioning stuff, is attending class room and coaching things. The only thing he is not doing is the on-the-field stuff; but he is there, observing, just like the injured players.

Let's re-focus here please. :)

Would it be ''earth shaking'' for the Packers management to settle this in terms favorable to Grant, the team needs at a supreme skill position, and maybe, assuring to fans that this is Cap money well spent?

We need this man in prime game condition, not the way we saw Javon Walker and Bubba Franks get to, despite their ''private workouts''.

Patler
06-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Would it be ''earth shaking'' for the Packers management to settle this in terms favorable to Grant, the team needs at a supreme skill position, and maybe, assuring to fans that this is Cap money well spent?

We need this man in prime game condition, not the way we saw Javon Walker and Bubba Franks get to, despite their ''private workouts''.

I think it will be settled, and before training camp.

However, I'm not worried if it is not settled until just before TC. Whereas Walker (and I think Franks, too) skipped everything and did their own private workouts, Grant has attended everything, and is conditioning with the team, under the supervision of the team trainers and coaches. He is getting the same "book learning" as all the others. Basically, all he isn't doing are the run-throughs of the plays.

If he starts missing the full-speed, on field activities during training camp I will be disappointed.

HarveyWallbangers
06-11-2008, 10:34 AM

Earth shaking would be for woody to compliment Ted Thompson. In case you haven't noticed, since the Walker fiasco the Packers have rewarded their own. Kampman got a big deal. Driver was extended twice and Harris was extended once when they weren't at the end of their deals. Lee and Wells were extended. KGB wasn't dumped despite his high salary. Getting Grant signed to a long-term deal is exactly the type of move Ted Thompson has shown he'll make.

bobblehead
06-11-2008, 05:47 PM

I think its a mild difference, but it is valid. Again, to tarlem, you are equating JWalk being an asshat because he was under contract and Grant isn't. I see no difference and have stated why, you can accept or reject it. JWalk at this point was being sincere and talking up the team, but asking for more money, same as grant.

When camp starts if Grant isn't under contract we can make more comparisons, but I hope he is under a good fair contract at that point and we can not have to worry about it.

Tarlam!
06-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Again, to tarlem, you are equating JWalk being an asshat because he was under contract and Grant isn't. I see no difference and have stated why, you can accept or reject it. JWalk at this point was being sincere and talking up the team, but asking for more money, same as grant.[/]

Sorry, Bob, but you are out with your timings by a mile. http://gnb.scout.com/2/376285.html

By this time, Walker had become a cancer.

bobblehead
06-12-2008, 05:22 PM
I saw a lot of favre and sherman in that, but not ONE SINGLE quote from walker. Basically if favre were here I think he would be saying exactly that to Grant, sign your slotted deal and come in here. Maybe I'm wrong.

This article shows how favre felt about it and he even says

"Nowadays you're seeing more and more guys pulling that stunt," Favre said. "If guys continue to do that and are successful getting away with it, then I'll be gone, but I think the game will be ruined. My reaction to Javon's situation was, 'Here we go again.'

I think his reaction would be the same now. At the point of your article, all that JWalk was doing was missing voluntary team activities and asking for a new contract. And favre and sherman both had the same attitude, you are not irreplaceable, we can plug in the next guy and move on....how is it any different with Grant?? Oh yea, he wasn't good enough to get drafted, so he somehow has a right to get a big deal. NO WAY he signs a deal like JWalk was playing for at this exact same time. If he does, I'll change my tone and apologize, but at this point in time I see him the same as anyone who isn't participating....he is holding out for a contract.

MJZiggy
06-12-2008, 10:30 PM
How many times are we gonna have this same fight???

Tyrone Bigguns
06-12-2008, 11:20 PM

Prolly a thousand times...just like being married. :oops:

bobblehead
06-13-2008, 12:45 AM

til he signs....hopefully not many more.