PDA

View Full Version : Jackson muscling into backfield fray

Chubbyhubby
06-10-2008, 12:34 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080608/PKR01/806080637/1058&located=RSS

It doesn't take a peek at the scale to notice running back Brandon Jackson is bigger and buffer than he was when he arrived in Green Bay as a rookie last May.

Jackson said Wednesday he's added 10 to 15 pounds of "the right kind of weight" during the offseason, and his wide 5-foot-10 frame is carrying 220 pounds, 8 more than his listed weight in 2007.

Players tend to shed pounds through offseason practices as their lifting regimen lightens, so a bulkier physique in June doesn't always, ahem, carry much weight come September. But Packers strength and conditioning coach Rock Gullickson is correct when he says Jackson looks like a different guy than he was a year ago, and Jackson sees the progress, too.

"Mentally and physically," Jackson said. "I put on a little weight. It's great. I can run with it and everything. And on the mental side, I know my plays, I study a lot, just to stay refreshed on everything."

None of which is to say Jackson is going to push Ryan Grant for the starting job in training camp, though he has taken the lion's share of first-team reps this spring while Grant awaits a contract resolution.

But coaches have raved about how the former second-round draft pick has built off of a largely disappointing rookie season.

"Tremendous, in the weight room as well as in the meeting rooms," running backs coach Edgar Bennett said of Jackson's progress. "Just his confidence level, knowing his assignments, knowing other people's assignments. You can definitely tell that the kid, he's mature, he's growing up, and he's definitely taking ownership. He's doing all the little things, coming in early and staying late. He's an attention-to-detail kind of guy."

The value of having two capable backs was evident during the New York Giants' championship run last season. After leading rusher Derrick Ward landed on injured reserve in early December, power back Brandon Jacobs elevated his game and little Ahmad Bradshaw emerged from obscurity to rush for a team-high 208 yards at a 4.3-yard average in the postseason.

The other candidates to spell Grant aren't inspiring. Injuries have dogged Vernand Morency and DeShawn Wynn, Noah Herron is a career backup coming off a knee injury, and first-year pro Corey White and undrafted rookie Kregg Lumpkin haven't appeared in an NFL game. Those five have a combined 1,202 career yards — little more than the 1,186 Grant posted in the regular season and playoffs last season.

The Packers thought enough of Jackson last year to draft him 63rd overall out of Nebraska. He started the first three games last season but gained only 97 yards on 38 carries (2.6 average), then had a shin injury and was inactive the next four weeks. Jackson had only 17 more carries until the regular-season finale against Detroit, in which he gained 113 yards on 20 carries.

After spending about two months with his family at home in Horn Lake, Miss., Jackson returned for the start of the offseason strength and conditioning program in mid-March with a more aggressive attitude.

"I had in my mind that, 'I want to do way better than last year. I want to come in with a lot of motivation,'" Jackson said. "Even in the weight room, because that's where it starts. So, you've got to have a mind-set that, 'I'm going to do this,' and no slacking or anything."

Gullickson described Jackson's physical growth as "real solid" and ranked him among the five most-improved Packers in the offseason program.

His added strength, combined with improved understanding of the scheme, may make the difference for Jackson in pass blocking — a weakness that kept him behind Morency as a third-down back for much of last season.

"Just being in tune with what we're doing, for planning purposes, and not making mental errors I think is the biggest thing" for Jackson, quarterback Aaron Rodgers said. "Picking up blitzes, he's always been good at that. But just knowing where the guys are coming from and being able to understand our scheme and what we're trying to do, I think he's doing a lot better job at that."

LL2
06-10-2008, 01:10 PM
We may need Jackson to step up and produce if TT can't get Grant signed to a deal. Jackson, even though he was a rookie last year, was a little bit of a disapointment. Hopefully he can have a sophmore breakthrough. I don't see Herron as anything more than a solid 3rd down contributor with a good job.

CaliforniaCheez
06-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Jackson took a lot of carries in the preseason when he was the only healthy RB.

I was very happy with what he was showing toward the end of last year. Very good at blitz pick up and getting the ball out of the backfield.

He didn't pout or whine when Grant got a lot of carries. I like his work ethic and attitude.

He is stronger and wiser this year.

My confidence in Jackson grew a lot in the final 4 games of last year.

Deputy Nutz
06-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Who knows, this can only be considered a fluff piece, at least until the preseason rolls around. I like Jackson, I hope this actually means he is ready to be successful at the NFL level, because I do have my doubts that Grant can carry this running responsibility for this team.

red
06-10-2008, 03:34 PM
he needs to step up. we need that 1-2 punch and he is suppose to be a zone running guy.

but grant just looked so much better in the same situations that jackson was in that it makes you wonder. it's not suppose to take awhile for running backs to adjust to the pro game

the added weight worries me a bit. there is such a thing as getting too big. you'd hate to see the guy lose some speed

CaliforniaCheez
06-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Who knows, this can only be considered a fluff piece, at least until the preseason rolls around. I like Jackson, I hope this actually means he is ready to be successful at the NFL level, because I do have my doubts that Grant can carry this running responsibility for this team.

Until they put on pads and start hitting in training camp, all you can get now are fluff pieces.

I haven't seen too many of the typical story about a fifth stringer who has a chance. A good day in the first week of camp will get a guy one of those.

Some of these guys will make a lot of progress from year 1 to year 2.

Rouse, Jackson, Jones, Barbre, Bishop, Hall. That was a solid draft class that can only get better. They will be making larger contributions this season. I don't think they are all fluff.

A Harrell story or a Condrew Allen story would really be fluff.

motife
06-10-2008, 06:06 PM

bobblehead
06-10-2008, 06:35 PM
I'd like to be high on Bjack, but at this point I'm not. Running backs...the good ones just have innate instinct to find the seam and run with it, he really didn't seem to have that. He looked great as a 3rd down guy, catching the ball well and running screens ok, but again, that "it" to find the hole was missing.

Now if he was just hesitant because he was learning his role, he may still excel, he did look pretty good against detroit, and I hope I'm wrong and he looks like a stud come time to put on the pads.

DonHutson
06-11-2008, 11:04 AM
In spite of being a 2nd round pick, I think Jackson was chosen with the expectation he would be a bit of a project. He simply hadn't played very much at Nebraska. So it's not all that surprising that he was overwhelmed early on. You could argue they should've taken someone else knowing that there was no established RB on the roster, but Ted's always going to take the guy with more long term potential.

It's true he wasn't finding holes early. But I'm not sure there were any holes early. Grant was somewhat fortunate that his starting gig coincided with the OL eliminating a lot of run blocking mistakes.

It's encouraging that the coaches say he's improving across the board. Not simply in the wieight room, but also in the classroom and in polishing up on techniques.

I'd be disappointed if he's not a capable backup to Grant this year.

Chubbyhubby
06-11-2008, 11:14 AM
same here, I hope that Jackson does a good job in backing up Grant. I see the RB's play a major part in this year's offense. With Aarron Rodgers, the offense will be more balanced. Not relying too heavly on A Rod's shoulders. Grant and Jackson should get a great deal of carries this season.

The Leaper
06-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Jackson has loads of potential as our 3rd down back this year. He's far more devastating out of the backfield as a receiver than Grant is.

RashanGary
06-11-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm finially starting to buy into the Jackson hype. He looked a little smallish last year, but he did come out as a junior I believe and the shoulder injuries might have hampered his physical progress. Him being 5'10" and 220 lbs is plenty big and it sounds like he's gotten stronger in his legs and more explosive at the same time so he shouldn't lose speed.

Another thing that is somewhat promising is that when you hear him talk he really sounds like a genuine dummy (Patrick Lee, Nick Collins, Javon Walker are others who sound like legit idiots *not assholes, shitheads or bad guys, but acctually mentally slow*). It's not a knock on them personally, we're all created differently, but guys like that can be slow to catch on and even though most running backs can come in and pick up the concept of running the ball quickly, maybe this guy really couldn't and maybe he's now ready to kick butt. The other thing that is positive is how many reps he had to take last year. Mabye he was warn down and will be more prepared this year.

The Lions game, the heavy load last off season, his possible mental disability causing him to catch on a year later than normal and his gains in the weight room all point to possible big gains. I'm on board. Go Bjack.

texaspackerbacker
06-11-2008, 04:55 PM
I hope he shows that kind of improvement. He was very decent when healthy last season. I wouldn't call having Jackson play at a much higher level a "need" so much as "frosting on the cake".

IMO, Grant is an absolutely unique talent--the kind of burst you just done often see. I honestly doubt Jackson is capable of approaching that level--few can. However, having our #2 be better than almost everybody else's #1 would be a real nice thing.

RashanGary
06-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Another player I like that is sort of flying under the radar is DeShawn Wynn. He looks like he has a few extra pounds of fat still, but he doesn't look nearly as soft as he did a year ago and he has the natural size/speed/quckness/instinct ratio that you like in a starting running back. Looking at pictures, he's noticably bigger and stronger. As camp wears on and players lose fat and muscle, I think Wynn could shape himself into a lean, mean running machine (a ripped 5'10" 230 pounder). I think he could be one of the big suprises this off season. I really like the way he ran last year. He has breakaway speed and good instincts.

bobblehead
06-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Jackson has loads of potential as our 3rd down back this year. He's far more devastating out of the backfield as a receiver than Grant is.

I agree with this, he has good hands and looks natural in the flats. With a year in he won't miss many blocks and his effort on blocking was always there.

My concern with his running though is due to him running up the backs of his linemen...He just doesn't seem to have that great instinct, but I hope it was due to other factors. This is one where I really really hope to be wrong. Nothing would get grant in camp quicker than BJack having a great preseason game running the ball (if it gets to that point).

bobblehead
06-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Another player I like that is sort of flying under the radar is DeShawn Wynn. He looks like he has a few extra pounds of fat still, but he doesn't look nearly as soft as he did a year ago and he has the natural size/speed/quckness/instinct ratio that you like in a starting running back. Looking at pictures, he's noticably bigger and stronger. As camp wears on and players lose fat and muscle, I think Wynn could shape himself into a lean, mean running machine (a ripped 5'10" 230 pounder). I think he could be one of the big suprises this off season. I really like the way he ran last year. He has breakaway speed and good instincts.

The man has no heart.....and there is no such thing as having enough talent to get by in the NFL without heart (OK, maybe randy moss is the exception).

Patler
06-11-2008, 05:52 PM

Apparently you didn't see Edgar Bennett's comment on Wynn. At first he commended his improvements in strength, etc.....but then...

When asked if Wynn had matured with a year of experience, Bennett saw room for improvement.

"Some, but he has to be consistent," Bennett said. "It has to be to the point where it is time in and time out, we see it day in and day out. It can't be, we're going to do it one time now and then we're not going to do it this time. That's part of being a pro."

I think Wynn will be in a battle to make the roster. Too many others that have the commitment to mess around with a #3 back who doesn't.

DonHutson
06-12-2008, 10:52 AM
The man has no heart.....and there is no such thing as having enough talent to get by in the NFL without heart (OK, maybe randy moss is the exception).

I was going to say Wynn's problems were all in his head, but you're probably even closer to the mark.

I don't see Wynn getting scared straight in Green Bay. He'll need to get released before reality starts to set in. Maybe on his next team he'll man up and get serious. You can't teach toughness and heart. He'll need to find that on his own.

If he turns it around and reinvents himself this year I'll be the first to pat him on the back, but guys like him come and go all the time. As it is, I'd rather have Noah Herron's discipline than Wynn's talent.

bobblehead
06-13-2008, 01:07 AM

I was going to say Wynn's problems were all in his head, but you're probably even closer to the mark.

I don't see Wynn getting scared straight in Green Bay. He'll need to get released before reality starts to set in. Maybe on his next team he'll man up and get serious. You can't teach toughness and heart. He'll need to find that on his own.

If he turns it around and reinvents himself this year I'll be the first to pat him on the back, but guys like him come and go all the time. As it is, I'd rather have Noah Herron's discipline than Wynn's talent.

I agree, and we will all be pissed about it, such is the way it works, but when realizing its sack up and play or sack up at the local grocery store for 7 an hour he might get it right, but not until that reality hits him in the face.

ahaha
06-13-2008, 10:00 AM
I think Wynn lacks balance. It's a skill that's so important for a running back, but almost never gets mentioned. A running back can be big, but if he loses balance with the first hit, he loses all momemtum and goes down. IMO that is Wynn's problem.

bobblehead
06-13-2008, 12:43 PM
I think Wynn lacks balance. It's a skill that's so important for a running back, but almost never gets mentioned. A running back can be big, but if he loses balance with the first hit, he loses all momemtum and goes down. IMO that is Wynn's problem.

My problem is when he mails it in due to hydration 12 plays into the game. My problem is when a LB hits him in the thigh and the bruise takes him outta the game.

When he actually is on the field totin the rock I have no problems with him.

DonHutson
06-13-2008, 01:24 PM
My problem is that once a month Wynn is out with cramps, for some reason.

And really, what's the max upside with this guy? I think if he really busted his ass he could be another Najeh Davenport. Decent, sometimes pretty good, but never special. Is it really worth keeping him around so he can grow up into that?

With Morencey, Herron, and Corey White around we don't need to be overly patient with Wynn (though one could make a lot of the same toughness arguments about Vernand - the other Midol twin).

Guiness
06-13-2008, 01:53 PM
My problem is that once a month Wynn is out with cramps, for some reason.

And really, what's the max upside with this guy? I think if he really busted his ass he could be another Najeh Davenport. Decent, sometimes pretty good, but never special. Is it really worth keeping him around so he can grow up into that?

With Morencey, Herron, and Corey White around we don't need to be overly patient with Wynn (though one could make a lot of the same toughness arguments about Vernand - the other Midol twin).

Be interesting to see how it will all fall out. If Grant and BJack look good through TC, The team might keep someone like Wynn, cause he's younger, and has more 'potential', and Morency might be gone. However, if BJack can't sew up the backup spot to Grant, or Grant continues to refuse to sign, Morency is probably the most likely to be able to fill one of those two positions immediately.