PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Dams

HarveyWallbangers
06-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Anybody near Lake Delton?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080610/ap_on_re_us/severe_weather;_ylt=Aqt2e6.uAeXRdXoH.vB3Q7AE1vAI

LAKE DELTON, Wis. - Engineers kept watch over this rain-deluged state's dams Tuesday after a major collapse nearly emptied Lake Delton in a torrent that washed away houses and a highway.

The Lake Delton breach was caused by violent, drenching weekend thunderstorms that threatened the survival of the tiny Wisconsin town of Gays Mills and displaced thousands of Indiana residents. The stormy weather was blamed for 15 deaths in the Midwest and elsewhere.

LL2
06-10-2008, 01:41 PM
I have family nearby in Baraboo. Many places through the state of Wisconsin is getting flooded, plus towns in MN, IL, and IN.

sheepshead
06-10-2008, 01:55 PM
That's a dam shame.

Partial
06-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Someone that my dad just brought a commercial rental property lost evidently a 750k-1000k property that they didn't have flood insurance on. He says the guy is screwed.

LL2
06-10-2008, 03:11 PM
I like your new avatar Partial! Who is she?

Deputy Nutz
06-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Someone that my dad just brought a commercial rental property lost evidently a 750k-1000k property that they didn't have flood insurance on. He says the guy is screwed.

Those two sentences didn't make a damn bit of sense.

red
06-10-2008, 03:25 PM
I like your new avatar Partial! Who is she?

ditto, hot as fuck

how close is this to the dells?

they had a sewer line break and dump raw sewage into the river. i bet the duck rides are a blast right now

GoPackGo
06-10-2008, 04:17 PM
I can't believe it took a mispelled thread from harvey for the posters here who actually live in Wisconson( :P ) to talk about this. I flew out of Milwaukee yesterday and so I saw alot of this first hand. My parents have water in their basement. I've been checking in on Jsonline all day just to see the pictures of the descruction.
The people who lost their house at lake Delton and are crying to the governor right now should be embarrassed. They bought a house on a strip of land between a large river and a lake and didn't get flood insurance.

FavreChild
06-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Actually, most of the traditional Wisconsin Dells attractions, including Noah's Ark, the Ducks, Family Land, Kalahari and Wilderness, are all located in Lake Delton and not Wisconsin Dells proper. Lake Delton is the lake that the Tommy Bartlett skiers perform their stunts on; the Ducks also go into Lake Delton on their tours. There are about 20 different resorts located on Lake Delton to provide a more secluded experience for visitors who do not want to stay on the strip.

I used to live right along Dell Creek, which is the channel that flows from Mirror Lake into Lake Delton.

If you're planning on visiting the Dells this summer, you might do well to stay in one of the hotels or resorts on Lake Delton. You won't be able to use the lake, of course, but the rates will probably be cheap and help some of these resorts from losing nearly their entire annual business.

FavreChild
06-10-2008, 07:07 PM
If you have ever been on a Duck ride in the Dells, you have been in Lake Delton. Using this overhead photo from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, you can see the Wisconsin River on the right. The Duck route crosses Highway A, which is the main road you see in the image, and then the Duck drivers give their riders a thrill by splashing into the lake.

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/23/23064_large.jpg[/url]

Partial
06-10-2008, 07:07 PM

My dad bought a commercial property. The guy he bought it from's house was on the lake. He didn't have flood insurance as my dad sells insurance and provides him with it. His home is destroyed and was valued at 750k+.

Partial
06-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Also, out of said buidling, the sewers were backed up in Milwaukee so his basement flooded with sewage. Do to this happening to many, many basements, it was damn near impossible to find someone to take care of it, so my dad and I spent many hours literally ankle deep in shit. It was disgusting.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-10-2008, 07:14 PM
I spent many hours literally ankle deep in shit. It was disgusting.

Well, now you know how we feel reading your posts.

Partial
06-10-2008, 07:19 PM

Tyrone Bigguns
06-10-2008, 07:44 PM

IF that is your rating system..i'll take it. Solid B.

Deputy Nutz
06-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Also, out of said buidling, the sewers were backed up in Milwaukee so his basement flooded with sewage. Do to this happening to many, many basements, it was damn near impossible to find someone to take care of it, so my dad and I spent many hours literally ankle deep in shit. It was disgusting.

A few years back this happened to my inlaws. My wife wanted to know if I wanted to go help clean their basement. I told her to go fuck herself, if she would go help I would go help. I remained shit free that day.

Partial
06-10-2008, 08:31 PM

A few years back this happened to my inlaws. My wife wanted to know if I wanted to go help clean their basement. I told her to go fuck herself, if she would go help I would go help. I remained shit free that day.

Thats kind of a dick move. That's your family, man.

HarveyWallbangers
06-10-2008, 08:32 PM
I can't believe it took a mispelled thread from harvey for the posters here who actually live in Wisconson( :P )

Oops. In my defense, I do know how to spell Wisconsin and the "i" and the "o" are close to each other on the keyboard.
:D

red
06-10-2008, 08:35 PM
they had a dirty jobs episode of that. these people had shit all the way up the walls and on the ceilings. everything in the basement was just soaked in someone elses shit

that that looked like shit bombs went off in it.

no way i'm handling that shit, no pun intended

if that happens to my house, its gas cans and lighter time

GBRulz
06-10-2008, 08:58 PM
they had a sewer line break and dump raw sewage into the river. i bet the duck rides are a blast right now

That's nothing compared to the millions of gallons that the city of Milwaukee dumps into Lake MI every time they get lots of rain. Which means the beaches up in Door County will be closed again. Why the hell are they not getting fined up the wazoo for that? Someone in city hall is sleeping with the DNR apparently.

I have been working near the Dells recently. It's an absolute mess, not only in Lake Delton, but near Beaver Dam and Reedsburg as well.

GrnBay007
06-10-2008, 09:13 PM
I have family nearby in Baraboo. Many places through the state of Wisconsin is getting flooded, plus towns in MN, IL, and IN.

Many in Iowa too. I heard of 3 today that evacuated the whole downtown area. We are still ok where I'm at. ...keeping fingers crossed but there is rain and storms in the forecast for 5 out of the next 6 days.

GBRulz
06-10-2008, 09:35 PM

My dad bought a commercial property. The guy he bought it from's house was on the lake. He didn't have flood insurance as my dad sells insurance and provides him with it. His home is destroyed and was valued at 750k+.

If someone buys a property on a floodplain, they are required to purchase flood insurance. So, apparently, this property you refer to was not.

I saw on CNN that they were interviewing a couple of people who lost their homes. They talked about flood insurance. Both parties said they asked their insurance companies when they first build their houses about purchasing flood insurance, but were told no because it was unnecessary since they were not in a flood plain and the lake was dam controlled.

Will be interesting to see what comes out of all this.

I feel so bad for those people though

digitaldean
06-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Read an article on JSOnline that a substantial number of dams in WI have gone 10 years or more between inspections. State LAW mandates it to be 9 years max.

So who gets penalized for the our great state's F-up? Just the poor slobs who pay the overblown property taxes and end up with backed up sewers or destroyed property from those who don't do their job. Not all of the flooding obviously is because of this, but some of these problems could've been averted.

There's a reason the Army Corps of Engineers gave Wis. a C- when grading their upkeep of the HUNDREDS of dams in this state.

God help us if the southern part of the state gets the rain forecasted for the next week.

The southwestern part got nailed last summer when the Kickapoo River destroyed numerous homes. They have been hit again. Farmland with crops destroyed and now barge traffic will be stopped on the Mississippi temporarily because of the flooding.

WHAT A FRIGGIN' MESS!

MJZiggy
06-11-2008, 05:58 AM
A few years ago, the stormwater sewers backed up into our basement while we were on vacation. On getting home, we called the sanitation company and they had someone at the house in 15 minutes, they cleaned up the mess and they paid to have a restoration company come in and replace carpet and drywall that were touched by the water. Apparently keeping the sewers running in the right direction is supposed to be their responsibility. I don't think anyone is supposed to be cleaning shit out of their own basements.

Patler
06-11-2008, 06:21 AM
A few years ago, the stormwater sewers backed up into our basement while we were on vacation. On getting home, we called the sanitation company and they had someone at the house in 15 minutes, they cleaned up the mess and they paid to have a restoration company come in and replace carpet and drywall that were touched by the water. Apparently keeping the sewers running in the right direction is supposed to be their responsibility. I don't think anyone is supposed to be cleaning shit out of their own basements.

Back-flow preventer valves installed in all floor drains can save a lot of mess.

Deputy Nutz
06-11-2008, 08:23 AM

Know shit thats my family, but I draw a line about what I do for inlaws, and trudging around in shit is way past the line donkey.

Partial
06-11-2008, 12:49 PM

Know shit thats my family, but I draw a line about what I do for inlaws, and trudging around in shit is way past the line donkey.

That is pretty crappy. That's your wife, who should be your best friend. You should be willing to help out her family.

I can't imagine they think too highly of you if you're unwilling to give up an afternoon to help.

Deputy Nutz
06-11-2008, 01:03 PM

That is pretty crappy. That's your wife, who should be your best friend. You should be willing to help out her family.

I can't imagine they think too highly of you if you're unwilling to give up an afternoon to help.

Are you trying to pick a fight with me you donkey? You don't know my family, and what is expected of me. I am sorry that your dad makes you clean up shit, I would hate the fact that someone else was able to say no to walking around in a pile of shit. Then I again I bet you were afraid of getting cut off from daddy's business if you didn't help. Man already has you mucking around in a basement full of shit. Shitty.

Harlan Huckleby
06-11-2008, 01:23 PM
i just want to add that when it comes to Wisconsin Dams I'm against them.

sheepshead
06-11-2008, 04:21 PM
It's Cheney's fault.

sheepshead
06-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Cheney hates cheeseheads.

oregonpackfan
06-11-2008, 08:36 PM
GBRulz brought up the topics of flood plains, flood insurance, buildings, etc.

In '96 much of my area of Oregon was hit by floods. In the suburb of Tualatin, OR which is right next to my town, there was an undeveloped flood plain that was completely under water in the "Flood of '96."

Because of some legal technicality of it being "just" a "100 year flood plain" that whole area has been developed in the past 12 years with a shopping center, post office, large Medical Center(Kaiser), 2 large, multi-storied, apartment buildings, and 3 multi-storied, condo complexes. This entire area is just 3 miles from my house.

I have to shake my head in bewilderment how the builders think this floodplain won't have another flood until 2096. Sure, mathematically it could not happen for another 200 years. At the same time, it could happen next year!

:roll:

Freak Out
06-11-2008, 09:00 PM
It's Cheney's fault.

Impeach him. It's Wisconsin's duty.

oregonpackfan
06-11-2008, 11:32 PM
i just want to add that when it comes to Wisconsin Dams I'm against them.

Your argument doesn't hold any water with me, Harlan! :)

red
06-12-2008, 06:44 AM

Are you trying to pick a fight with me you donkey? You don't know my family, and what is expected of me. I am sorry that your dad makes you clean up shit, I would hate the fact that someone else was able to say no to walking around in a pile of shit. Then I again I bet you were afraid of getting cut off from daddy's business if you didn't help. Man already has you mucking around in a basement full of shit. Shitty.

i'm with nutz

i think it was a dickish move by the in-laws to even ask for help in that situation

no fucking way

i have a hard enough time whiping my own ass, much less clean up the inlaws shit

Zool
06-12-2008, 07:39 AM
i'm with nutz

i think it was a dickish move by the in-laws to even ask for help in that situation

no fucking way

i have a hard enough time whiping my own ass, much less clean up the inlaws shit

Not to mention the shit of everyone in the neighborhood. There's no fucking way I would be cleaning shit out of a basement in hip waders. Not even my own house. There's certain things you just have someone else do.

hoosier
06-12-2008, 07:53 AM

Wiping or whipping? I'm guessing you mean wiping, and then it's the in-laws who do the whooping :lol:

red
06-12-2008, 09:40 AM
yes, wiping

it was way too early in the morning to try and spell shit right

Partial
06-12-2008, 10:09 AM

Agreed... But there wasn't anyone available when it happens all over a county. Hell we went to four stores on a search for a squeegee only funding one in stock at the fourth. The difference was you probably missed the day after rush. I'd say you were lucky but it sucks no matter what

Partial
06-12-2008, 10:15 AM

No way man. Its called being a family and a good person. There isn't anything that I would not do to help about eight or nine people. You had nettet hope that the same doesn't happen to you because I am sure they won't be willing to help or worse yet when your older and your kids won't come help

My point is it seems really selfish. Part of being family is banding together in times of need

Partial
06-12-2008, 10:23 AM
i'm with nutz

no fucking way

Not to mention the shit of everyone in the neighborhood. There's no fucking way I would be cleaning shit out of a basement in hip waders. Not even my own house. There's certain things you just have someone else do.

Right... But the point is obvious to me that no one was available. Are you going to let all of your stuff get ruined and have potential structural damage to your house? Its not like there are a million waste clean up companies and when it happens to much of a county... Let me just say that I am glad you guys aren't in my family because you gentlemen don't seem very reliable when the shut literally hits the fan

Zool
06-12-2008, 10:25 AM
I have a line I wont cross, and cleaning up the neighbors shit is at that line.

hoosier
06-12-2008, 10:43 AM
The thing about storm sewers flooding the basement is you're never really sure whose shit you're cleaning up. :P

Partial
06-12-2008, 11:14 AM

Thats fine. But neighbors aren't family. And I'm just saying don't write anything off until you're in a position of need. I can't imagine a situation where I would not be pissed if a family member would rather sit home and jerk off than help me when the situation is dire like that.

Zool
06-12-2008, 11:27 AM
BTW, unless your dad has a wood basement, I dont see any real issues with structural damage. Even then, the water would have to sit there for a ridiculous amount of time.

Not to mention the used tampons floating around from the lady down the street with a little fromage downtown.

Zool
06-12-2008, 11:28 AM

Thats fine. But neighbors aren't family. And I'm just saying don't write anything off until you're in a position of need. I can't imagine a situation where I would not be pissed if a family member would rather sit home and jerk off than help me when the situation is dire like that.

I dont think you get it. The shit in the basement is not just from your dads place. Its from the whole area.

SkinBasket
06-12-2008, 11:32 AM

I dont think you get it. The shit in the basement is not just from your dads place. Its from the whole area.

Come on Zool, that's a ridiculous assumption.

SkinBasket
06-12-2008, 11:39 AM
I would posit that when roots clogged our sewer pipe and backed up into the basement, I handled the work myself. Since the backage was on our end, it was our own waste, but I wouldn't even ask my wife, let alone extended family, to help with that shit. Some things a man's just got to take care of himself.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't want, much less expect, other people mucking about in my dirty water. I would rather I be the only one who has to face the prospect of being covered in shit even if it takes four times longer to accomplish the clean-up.

LL2
06-12-2008, 11:42 AM
This has become one shitty thread! I think I will wait an hour before I eat lunch.

Partial
06-12-2008, 11:55 AM
I would posit that when roots clogged our sewer pipe and backed up into the basement, I handled the work myself. Since the backage was on our end, it was our own waste, but I wouldn't even ask my wife, let alone extended family, to help with that shit. Some things a man's just got to take care of himself.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't want, much less expect, other people mucking about in my dirty water. I would rather I be the only one who has to face the prospect of being covered in shit even if it takes four times longer to accomplish the clean-up.

Right, I wouldn't ask either, but if my partners parents (whom are likely older based on nutz age) asked, they obviously couldn't get someone to clean it up, and probably could have used the break.

The point is it seems really ungrateful. Thats not how family should be treated.

hoosier
06-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Two dogs are eating shit. One says "Hey, this is some great shit." The other dog says, "Ehhh, I've had better."

hoosier
06-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Two dogs are eating shit. One dog says "This shit can't be good for you." The other one says "Yeah, well, it's not gonna kill you either."

Deputy Nutz
06-12-2008, 03:16 PM

Right, I wouldn't ask either, but if my partners parents (whom are likely older based on nutz age) asked, they obviously couldn't get someone to clean it up, and probably could have used the break.

The point is it seems really ungrateful. Thats not how family should be treated.

They had a son they could have asked to help, maybe he did I can't remember. They were capable people at the time, and to go with Skin's post they didn't ask me, my wife did. I said as soon as she put on her hip waiters and climbed down those steps, I would be right behind her.

Again, because your daddy is a cheap bastard, and has you under his thumb you gotta hate.

Partial
06-12-2008, 05:02 PM

They had a son they could have asked to help, maybe he did I can't remember. They were capable people at the time, and to go with Skin's post they didn't ask me, my wife did. I said as soon as she put on her hip waiters and climbed down those steps, I would be right behind her.

Again, because your daddy is a cheap bastard, and has you under his thumb you gotta hate.

It was not a matter of money, he had it professionally cleaned yesterday. It was a matter of availability.

I help out of kindness.

Deputy Nutz
06-12-2008, 05:04 PM

It was not a matter of money, he had it professionally cleaned yesterday. It was a matter of availability.

I help out of kindness.

You didn't do it out of kindness, you did it for Longoria, it is everything that you work for.

Chubbyhubby
06-12-2008, 05:07 PM

My brother and his family live in Baraboo. I used to live in Baraboo a 5 years ago. I hope everyone is alright.

GrnBay007
06-12-2008, 05:54 PM
I feel so bad for the farmers. I had to do some traveling through Iowa today for work.....ran into a couple bad storms :x. There are just miles and miles of fields sitting full of water.

red
06-12-2008, 06:42 PM
I feel so bad for the farmers. I had to do some traveling through Iowa today for work.....ran into a couple bad storms :x. There are just miles and miles of fields sitting full of water.

i heard that yesterday on the radio that all the farmers in iowa are in big trouble

not good

Freak Out
06-12-2008, 06:58 PM

i heard that yesterday on the radio that all the farmers in iowa are in big trouble

not good

The price of corn and soybeans has already jumped...the farmers have crop insurance which we pay....and we also have to pay for higher priced goods because of the damage. Double wammy time.

MJZiggy
06-12-2008, 08:38 PM

I help out of kindness.

Then what are you bitching about? If they had it cleaned professionally, then you have to know that there are companies out there whose livelihood is cleaning up these messes. Like I posted before, I only had stormwater in my basement and the company swept in, wouldn't even let me touch my own stuff. They had special wet vacs and special fans and stripped the whole basement down to the studs, removed the flooring and used special cleaning solutions on the slab and studs and wouldn't even let us down there until the thing was dry. The water department ended up paying for it and paying us for our belongings that were damaged. Nutz doesn't have to do this, nor do any of the rest of us. One phone call and they send people out to do it for you. Now quit being an ass.

GrnBay007
06-12-2008, 09:53 PM

not good

The price of corn and soybeans has already jumped...the farmers have crop insurance which we pay....and we also have to pay for higher priced goods because of the damage. Double wammy time.

I think we will be looking at some tough times ahead.

Freak Out
06-12-2008, 11:20 PM

not good

I think we will be looking at some tough times ahead.

No doubt about it...I hear the weather is still bad in your neck of the woods. Not being a midwestern farmer I'm ignorant how fast corn grows so I'm curious if they can recover if a crop is planted in lets say...three weeks?

LL2
06-13-2008, 08:22 AM
Looking at some of the pictures of Cedar Rapids online it looks pretty bad over there. The entire town is under water. It’s going to take a while to clean up that mess.

Deputy Nutz
06-13-2008, 08:33 AM
What the fuck did Iowa do to piss off God? Tornados and now floods. All you Iowians better get on your knees and do some praying.

Deputy Nutz
06-13-2008, 08:33 AM
double post? What the Fuck?

GrnBay007
06-13-2008, 05:17 PM
No doubt about it...I hear the weather is still bad in your neck of the woods. Not being a midwestern farmer I'm ignorant how fast corn grows so I'm curious if they can recover if a crop is planted in lets say...three weeks?

I was curious about that too and asked. I was told the only way they would have a crop this year would be if they could plant again in the next week. I'm positive that won't be happening as the fields are sitting in water. Ever hear the old farmers saying....."knee high by the 4th of July"? That's how tall the corn is supposed to be by then. Right now what I saw was about 2-3 inches high and I'm sure rotting as it sits in water.

Heard some more bad news today for many people....lots of trees...even large old trees are falling because the ground is so saturated the roots have nothing to cling to. weird.

GrnBay007
06-13-2008, 05:19 PM
What the fuck did Iowa do to piss off God? Tornados and now floods. All you Iowians better get on your knees and do some praying.

:( More storms predicted Sun and Mon....but dang it was nice to see the sun today for a change.....I even left work early today in honor! :D

red
06-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Looking at some of the pictures of Cedar Rapids online it looks pretty bad over there. The entire town is under water. It’s going to take a while to clean up that mess.

i saw those too on yahoo

wow thats bad. the whole city is underwater