View Full Version : 2 WR Ruvell Martin articles, WiStJrnl & GBPG

motife
06-06-2006, 04:08 AM
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=86523&ntpid=3
TUE., JUN 6, 2006 - 1:28 AM
Packers: Martin intent on finally catching on
JASON WILDE 608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com
GREEN BAY - Marty Schottenheimer's rule when it comes to cutting players is simple: Tell the truth.

That's what the San Diego Chargers coach got back in the late 1960s and early 1970s during his playing career, and that's what he feels he owes his players today.

And so that's the environment wide receiver Ruvell Martin walked into when he entered Schottenheimer's office Aug. 31, 2004.

"He said, 'You know I'll never lie to you,' " Martin recalled during a break in the Green Bay Packers' organized team activity practices. "(Then) he told me he didn't think I was fast enough to play in the NFL. And he definitely didn't have a (roster) spot for me, (not even) on the practice squad. And he didn't know if there was anybody in the NFL that would have a spot for me on the practice squad."

Ouch.

Rather than giving up, Martin took the criticism as a challenge. He worked odd jobs for the rest of that football season - at a mortgage company and as a substitute teacher back home in Michigan - before the Chargers called just after Christmas, offering him a futures contract and the chance to play in NFL Europe.

Martin responded by leading NFL Europe in receiving yards and touchdown catches to help the Amsterdam Admirals to the league title. He then came back stateside and made a late training-camp push last August for a roster spot with the Chargers, only to be cut again, despite catching six passes for 86 yards and a touchdown in preseason.

"So this time I go into coach Schottenheimer's office and he tells me, 'You know, you're a hell of a player. You'll definitely play in this league,' " said Martin, who then reminded Schottenheimer of his assessment from a year earlier. "To hear that change from him, it was like, 'Wow, OK.' "

Now, Martin is trying to catch on with the Packers, and through two minicamps and four OTA practices, he's positioned himself nicely. While Donald Driver is clearly the team's No. 1 receiver, Martin has been the second-most noticeable pass-catcher on the field, even more than the three veterans (Robert Ferguson, Rod Gardner and Marc Boerigter) and two draft picks (second-rounder Greg Jennings and fourth-rounder Cory Rodgers) he's competing with.

"He's done nothing but positive things since we started - all through the off-season program (and) our individual position workouts - and I think it's shown up here in the team drills," coach Mike McCarthy said.

The 6-foot-4, 217-pound Martin, who signed onto the Packers' practice squad Nov.•15 and spent the final seven weeks of the 2005 season there, fits McCarthy's prototype for a big receiver, and he has made at least one standout play in about every practice.

"I tell you what, he flashes - flashes some talent out there," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said.

Driver has been impressed with Martin.

"You know, some of those vets may not be here. Just because they're vets doesn't mean they're guaranteed a spot," Driver said. "Ruvell knows the odds are against him, (but) he's a great kid and he has the ability to be a great receiver in this league."

Martin believes the same thing, even though he knows he has a long way to go before he's there.

"As far as confidence in myself goes, I know I can play," said Martin, who wasn't recruited as an option quarterback in high school, entered the league as an undrafted free agent from Division II Saginaw (Mich.) Valley State and has yet to play in a regular-season NFL game. "I'm happy with what I'm doing so far. I'm just going to try to continue to do well."•

Extra points After McCarthy said Brett Favre would be participating in all four OTA practices this week, the quarterback wasn't at Monday's workout. A team spokesman said Monday night Favre worked out in the morning but was given the practice off by McCarthy. Cornerback Ahmad Carroll, whom McCarthy had also said would return after missing Friday's practice, was among the missing as well. ... Wide receiver Rod Gardner and safety Mark Roman arrived after missing all three practices last week. Gardner said he closed on a house and attended a graduation and McCarthy OK'd his absence, since he would have only been able to practice for one day. ... Fullback William Henderson was missing after practicing the last two days of last week. ... Cornerback Charles Woodson and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett, two of the team's big-name free-agent signings, remained absent. ... The team announced its annual Family Night Scrimmage will be held Aug. 5.

motife
06-06-2006, 04:16 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_26316964.shtml
Posted June 06, 2006
Martin not about to give up
Ruvell Martin catches a pass during organized team activities on Monday. By Rob Demovsky
PackersNews.com

Ruvell Martin might not make the Green Bay Packers’ 53-man opening-day roster, but he already has proven one NFL veteran head coach wrong.

It was August 2004 and he had just been released by the San Diego Chargers following an unspectacular rookie training camp. Martin, originally an undrafted free agent, walked into coach Marty Schottenheimerâ€℠¢s office, and the veteran coach gave it to him straight.

“He said that he’s always honest with his players,” Martin recalled. “He told me that he didn’t think I was fast enough to play in the NFL, and he definitely didn’t have a spot for me on the practice squad.”

But Schottenheimer didn’t stop there.

“He (said) he didn’t know if there’s anybody in the NFL that would have a spot for me on the practice squad,” Martin said.

Harsh words, to be sure, but Martin didn’t take them that way.

The receiver from Muskegon, Mich., knew he had work — plenty of work — to do to have even another shot at the NFL. He just figured after Schottenheimerâ€℠¢s words he would have to try it with one of the 31 other teams in the league.

“I appreciated him saying that to me, and I honestly believed that’s how I played,” Martin said. “Then I went and started looking for a (real) job, and that was horrible. I did that for like two months.”

Imagine Martin’s surprise then when, a few months later, he got a call from the Chargers saying they wanted to sign him and send him to NFL Europe in 2005.

“I was like, ‘What does San Diego want to do with me?’⠢‚¬Â Martin said.

Martin, who tried his hand at selling mortgages and substitute teaching in Howell, Mich., gladly took the opportunity, even if he didn’t fully understand it, and tore up NFL Europe. Playing for the eventual league champion Amsterdam Admirals, he led the league with 679 yards receiving and 12 touchdowns.

Though he didn’t make the Chargers’ roster last season — he was released in the final cut at the end of training camp — he heard a different message from Schottenheimer.

“So this time,” Martin said, “I go into coach Schottenheimerâ€℠¢s office and he tells me, ‘You know, you’re a hell of a player, you’ll definitely play in this league and we might have a spot for you on the practice squad, so stick around. But if not, I have no doubt you’ll be picked up in two weeks.’ So I was like, ‘All right, I just wanted to let you know what you told me last year.’ And he goes, ‘Well, I don’t remember that.’ I said, ‘For me, that’s just a huge compliment for you to say the things you just said to me now.’â €

The Chargers never signed Martin back, but the Packers did. Last Nov. 15, General Manager Ted Thompson signed Martin to the practice squad. He spent the final seven weeks of the season with the Packers and was immediately re-signed the day after the season.

Though he’s facing an uphill battle to make the roster given the fact the Packers have three veteran receivers (Donald Driver, Robert Ferguson and Rod Gardner) and two rookie draft picks (Greg Jennings and Cory Rodgers) that appear to be locks, Martin has done enough this offseason to warrant consideration. In the first two minicamps and this month’s organized team activities, Martin has regularly made catches for big plays. He has good size (6-foot-4 and 217 pounds), runs precise routes and has huge hands that allow him to catch the ball easily. In Friday’s practice, he made a one-handed grab for a touchdown during a team (11-on-11) drill.

“He flashes, doesn’t he?” Packers offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said. “When the ball’s up in the air and there’s a guy making a play, you go, ‘Who was that up there?’ And it’s him. He’s made his fair share of those. We’re excited about him.

“Heââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s developing every day. That’s the thing we really like about him. He’s been consistent. It’s not like one day (he’s) up and one day (he’s) down. He’s been doing it on a consistent basis.”

Martin doesn’t have a stall in the main part of the Packers’ locker room at Lambeau Field. He’s with the rest of the wannabes in an auxiliary room the players call “The Green Mile.”

“They call it The Green Mile because not many people make it out of there,” Martin said. “I have a different mentality. This is my third time going through it. I might not feel the same way those rookies felt even though I might have felt that way when I was a rookie, like ‘Thereâ⠂¬â„¢s no way I’m going to make it out of here.’ In my mind, I made it out already. I’m not saying that’s going to happen, but that’s how I play. I go out there like I’m on the team because I am on the team right now.”

red
06-06-2006, 06:45 AM
to me, there are only 2 wr's that are a lock to make this team, driver and jennings. the other spots are completely up for grabs and none of the rest of the guys are safe from being cut

pittstang5
06-06-2006, 07:56 AM
to me, there are only 2 wr's that are a lock to make this team, driver and jennings. the other spots are completely up for grabs and none of the rest of the guys are safe from being cut

Very true. I'd also assume Rodgers is a lock too. I just don't see TT giving up on a 4th ronder so early, unless he feels it was a huge mistake. But I doubt he sees much of the field except for KRs and PRs.

However, if one of these rooks (Martin, Lucas, Bookman or Butler) shows any signs of potential, I say TT will keep them over someone like Boerwhatever or Gardner. Those two could be the Arturio Freeman and Ray Thompson of last year.

Badgepack
06-06-2006, 08:25 AM
I really would like to see this Ruvell Martin kid make the team. Don't know why, just a good feeling about him. Maybe it's the fact that a buddy of mine knows him from college and maybe I can scam some free Packer stuff. But it sounds like he is stepping up so far in the practices.

BallHawk
06-06-2006, 09:19 AM
This is how I think think the Wide Receiver position will go....

1. Driver
2. Jennings
3. Boergetier
4. Gardner
5. Martin

woodbuck27
06-06-2006, 09:19 AM
I really would like to see this Ruvell Martin kid make the team. Don't know why, just a good feeling about him. Maybe it's the fact that a buddy of mine knows him from college and maybe I can scam some free Packer stuff. But it sounds like he is stepping up so far in the practices.

I'm with you on this young man also, Badgepack. I like his attitude and if he's in there pitching I hope he makes it really hard on guys like WR's Ferguson and Gardner.That he gives to both of these underachievers a heads up and they are very aware of his potential.

If you go to the multimedia section of Packers.Com you will see him interviewed. What isn't there to not like about Ruvell Martin and his manners.

To me he is 'the dark horse' I am liking to pull for most right now for OUR team.We need someone with his height to step in there.

Deputy Nutz
06-06-2006, 09:49 AM
This isn't even training camp. Guys are not going to make this team because of mini camps or OTAs. That being said, Martin has something that can't be taught and that is size, although that is not as big of a deal as it used to be with the contact rules being enforced. If Martin can prove he is a better route runner than Rodgers, and that he can also contribute and excel on special teams then he just might get the 5th or even 6th wide out position.

1. Driver
2. Ferguson
3. Gardner
4. Boreichter
5. Jennings
6. Martin/Rodgers

Really, Gardner could be easily cut in training camp if he gets hit with the injury bug, and the same could be said with Boreichter. I think Feguson has one more year, but if he also gets another training camp injury that would cost him more than two weeks of time he could be cut too.

Bretsky
06-06-2006, 10:05 AM
This is how I think think the Wide Receiver position will go....

1. Driver
2. Jennings
3. Boergetier
4. Gardner
5. Martin

It would be nice to see you right and the Fraud packing his bags. Fergy has imitated a starting WR long enough.

Bretsky
06-06-2006, 10:06 AM
This isn't even training camp. Guys are not going to make this team because of mini camps or OTAs. That being said, Martin has something that can't be taught and that is size, although that is not as big of a deal as it used to be with the contact rules being enforced. If Martin can prove he is a better route runner than Rodgers, and that he can also contribute and excel on special teams then he just might get the 5th or even 6th wide out position.

1. Driver
2. Ferguson
3. Gardner
4. Boreichter
5. Jennings
6. Martin/Rodgers

Really, Gardner could be easily cut in training camp if he gets hit with the injury bug, and the same could be said with Boreichter. I think Feguson has one more year, but if he also gets another training camp injury that would cost him more than two weeks of time he could be cut too.

One more year seems to be the annual battle cry for Ferguson and David Martin. Each will show a flash or two in the preseason before reality kicks in sometime later.

pbmax
06-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Extra points After McCarthy said Brett Favre would be participating in all four OTA practices this week, the quarterback wasn't at Monday's workout. A team spokesman said Monday night Favre worked out in the morning but was given the practice off by McCarthy. Cornerback Ahmad Carroll, whom McCarthy had also said would return after missing Friday's practice, was among the missing as well.
I know I am catching these because I am looking for them now, but McCarthy is losing credibility each time he makes one of these pronouncements and it turns out to be false.

This isn't a hard issue to deal with, every other coach has to deal with them. For Pete's sake, stop talking about people who aren't there. Each one of these comments builds expectations and then dashes them, making McCarthy look like he isn't tuned in or have any juice.

Someone needs to tell him to put a sock in it.

Harlan Huckleby
06-06-2006, 11:52 AM
It would be nice to see you right and the Fraud packing his bags. Fergy has imitated a starting WR long enough.

One more year.

Fritz
06-07-2006, 02:07 PM
C'mon Bretsky - you know this is the year Fergie's going to catch 80 passes and score a dozen touchdowns. Really!

RashanGary
06-07-2006, 04:15 PM

I completely agree.