PDA

View Full Version : Packers prospect: Mike Peterson

motife
06-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Packers prospect: Mike Peterson
By Steve Lawrence
steve_lawrence_packers@yahoo.com
Posted Jun 10, 2008

In an ongoing series, Packer Report tells you about the prospects who are fighting for jobs at OTAs, next week’s minicamp and into training camp. Mike Peterson’s college coach raves about the tight end’s after-the-catch skills.

Adam Dorrel is so excited, he laughs at the end of the sentence.
Dorrel is the offensive coordinator and running-game coordinator at Northwest Missouri State, where undrafted rookie tight end Mike Peterson was a two-time Division II all-American.

“I hope what (the fans) get to see is, after the ball is in his hands, look out, baby,” Dorrel said excitedly.

Usually, there’s little reason to be excited about a player like Peterson. At a shade over 6-foot-2, he doesn’t have ideal height for a tight end. Besides, there’s a reason why he went undrafted, and there’s a reason he was playing at Division II.

But Peterson shouldn’t be quickly dismissed as nothing more than a camp body.

He arrived at Northwest Missouri State after a stint as a junior-college baseball player.

“He showed up on our doorsteps as a walk-on, and that’s the best walk-on this program ever got, I can assure you of that,” Dorrel said. “He was an all-state tailback, so that’s why he’s so good with the ball.”

During his final three seasons, he averaged 43 catches for 14.3 yards per reception and 16 touchdowns. As a senior, he averaged 16.0 yards per catch, and even lined up in the backfield to carry the ball nine times for 62 yards.

Even with an offense led by Xavier Omon, who rushed for more than 7,000 yards in his career and was selected in the sixth round by Buffalo, Peterson was a focal point for the Bearcats’ offense.

“When (Omon) needed a spell, we knew Mike Peterson needed to touch the ball,” Dorrel said. “By God, whether it was a tight end screen, one of his favorite routes or line him up in the backfield, we knew going into games that we needed to get him the ball X number of times.”

Along with Peterson’s skills, Dorrel several times raved about Peterson the person. As is the case with a vast majority of the players Ted Thompson has signed during his tenure as general manager, Peterson is a high-character player.

“Mike is a great person,” Dorrel said. “Our kids loved him here for years. No. 1, he was so hard working and so committed to the program that he was a natural leader. Kids saw him working his (tail) off day in and day out. A lot of our kids fed off him. His work ethic is his No. 1 strength. He’s not going to get outworked. He’ll do whatever you tell him to do. Kids loved him for that. He’ll give you the shirt off his back.”

Character, of course, only gets a player so far. With Donald Lee entrenched with a four-year contract extension, a hefty commitment made in third-round draft pick Jermichael Finley and three years of waiting for Tory Humphrey, Peterson has his work cut out for him. His blocking needs work, though with 250 pounds attached to his frame, he’s got the bulk.

“All the scouts,” Dorrel said, “placed a big emphasis (in fall 2007) on becoming a better blocker, and he did that from his junior year. He’s got pretty good hands when he gets locked on.”

Still, two-way tight ends are rare in the pass-first NFL, and sub-4.6-second speed in the 40 is rare at the position. If the Packers’ coaches light up the way Dorrel does about Peterson’s after-the-catch abilities, look out.

“The thing I told the scouts is his ability when the pigskin is in his hands,” Dorrel said. “He’s extremely gifted at running the ball. He’s got great ball security, a very good stiff-arm and good vision. Go score, that’s his mentality.”

Steve Lawrence is a frequent contributor to PackerReport.com. E-mail him at steve_lawrence_packers@yahoo

oregonpackfan
06-10-2008, 07:44 PM
He appears to be impressive. Though his chances of making the team are slim, some of these Division II or Division III players will surprise people.

An example is the Giants' TE Kevin Boss. Coming out of little Philomath, Oregon, he wasn't recruited by any Division I team. Even the Oregon Ducks and the Oregon State Beavers were not interested in him.

So he enrolled at Division II Western Oregon. The Giants took a risk and made him their 5th round draft choice.

When starter Jeremy Shockey went down with a season-ending leg injury in November, Boss took over the starting position as a rookie. He performed well.

In the Super Bowl, he caught a pass over the middle and ran for 45 yards. The drive ended in a touchdown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Boss

Deputy Nutz
06-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Honestly he has the best shot at making this team out of all the undrafted free agents. Tory Humphrey certainly doesn't have a roster spot on this team, and if this fella can catch the football and make things happen after the catch then McCarthy can use him.

run pMc
06-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Fluff piece, but it's that time of year.

I wish him well.
If Humphrey or Finley get hurt he may win a spot by default.

texaspackerbacker
06-11-2008, 05:14 PM
I don't recall Humphrey ever showing much in three years, even the few times he was healthy. This Peterson, as well as the 6'8" kid from Maryland both would seem to have a chance.

Their biggest threat to making the roster, though, would seem to be the prospect of not keeping a 3rd TE. Myself, I think we could actually keep 6 WRs AND 3 TEs. That would, however, take Peterson or the other guy really looking special.

It always makes a person wonder if guys like this are potentially so good, how did they slip through undrafted?

Deputy Nutz
06-11-2008, 05:25 PM
I don't recall Humphrey ever showing much in three years, even the few times he was healthy. This Peterson, as well as the 6'8" kid from Maryland both would seem to have a chance.

Their biggest threat to making the roster, though, would seem to be the prospect of not keeping a 3rd TE. Myself, I think we could actually keep 6 WRs AND 3 TEs. That would, however, take Peterson or the other guy really looking special.

It always makes a person wonder if guys like this are potentially so good, how did they slip through undrafted?

Why guys with talent slip or last longer in the draft, sometimes they lack prototypical something, size, speed, strength, etc.... Anyways some team might have decided to stay away from Peterson because he was only 6-1, instead of 6-4 which is more a prototypical size expectation for a tight end coming out of college. You also have to look at college hype of this player. He was a walk on in Division II. Not too many scouts hear about this kid, no hype around him. The deck is certainly stacked against undrafted free agents, but if he shows ability to make plays happen with the ball in his hand, then he can find a home on this team.

CaliforniaCheez
06-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Soft and Fluffy.

I don't know the name now and I sure won't in November.

woodbuck27
06-13-2008, 11:24 AM
— Tight end Mike Peterson, Northwest Missouri State: The former running back is 25. The 247-pounder is reportedly a strong blocker and, because of his running back background, a good runner after the catch.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/3rdStoneFromTheSun/150482

May 05, 2008

Teams are scrambling and sifting through the undrafted free agent pool to fill spots that went undrafted, to get the special teams better, and to maybe find a few gems. Here is a breakdown I got off NFL.com yesterday. If I missed a guy you like, tell me.

Green Bay Packers

Jake Allen, WR, Mississippi College; Brennan Carvalho, C, Portland State; Ken Debauche, P, Wisconsin; Tierre Green, S, Nebraska; Rod Harper, WR, Murray State; Joey Haynos, TE, Maryland; J.J. Jansen, LS, Notre Dame; Danny Lansanah, LB, Connecticut; Kregg Lumpkin, RB, Georgia; Dureell Mapp, LB, North Carolina; Marcus Riley, LB, Fresno State; Mike Peterson, TE/FB, Northwest Missouri State; Taj Smith, WR, Syracuse.

WHO CAN MAKE IT? = Carvalho is versatile.

Green has a shot via special teams.

Haynos, a huge TE, and Peterson will battle for a spot in a position needing depth.

Debauche will push Ryan.

Jansen plays a position that every team looks at closely.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/3rdStoneFromTheSun/137609

2008 NFL Draft : Tight End Overview

7. Jeremichael Finley, 6-5, 240, Texas - Fluid athlete with refined receiving skills. Best as an H-Back. Good technical blocker who needs to add more strength. Could really help someone if in the right system. High ceiling, yet very inexperienced. Played only 16 games as a TE. Good athlete who has a chance.

17. Joe Haynos, 6' 8" 260, Maryland - Hard worker who spurned basketball scholarships to walk on at Maryland to play football. Progressed each of his 4 years. Above average blocker who runs crisp, precise routes with soft hands and above average speed. Wesley Walls type who will start for someone 10+ years. Could be the 6th Terrapin TE currently playing in the NFL next year = tops out of all schools. Sleeper pick in the draft.

33. Mike Peterson 6 '3" 250 NW Missouri State - Hard worker with solid hands. Div. II All American. Lack of size and level of competition will make it hard for him to stick on an NFL roster. May do well in the CFL.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=43422

Tight end Mike Peterson had career-highs of nine catches for 150 yards, including a 61-yarder -- the longest play given up by Grand Valley this season -- and a 30-yard touchdown.

"He was running through our defense," Martin said.

"No one runs through (our defense)."

Northwest Missouri had taken a 17-14 lead on Tommy Frevert's 35-yard field goal on the first play of the fourth quarter, set up by Peterson's 61-yarder.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=38521

Pittsburg State (10-4) was within 14-10 when Lamberson's 57-yard TD pass to Mike Peterson with 8:57 left put the game away for the Bearcats.