motife
06-06-2006, 04:12 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=431893&format=print
Notes: Hawk to land at 'Will'
Linebacker seen as starter
By TODD ROSIAK
trosiak@journalsentinel.com
Posted: June 5, 2006
Green Bay - Despite missing the Green Bay Packers' last minicamp and all of their current round of voluntary practices to date, rookie first-rounder A.J. Hawk shouldn't be too far behind when he arrives in town later this week.

That's because until today, the coaching staff had spent nearly all of the four previous practice sessions reviewing rather than installing its defense.

So once Hawk wraps up his classwork at Ohio State, defensive coordinator Bob Sanders expects him to be able to jump right back in as Green Bay's starting weak-side linebacker.

"We said, 'Hey, get your degree, get done, finish class and we'll catch you back up,'" SanderssaidMonday. "But really, to be honest with you, he hasn't missed anything yet. We're very confident he's not going to be far behind."

So far, there doesn't appear to have been any serious talk about Hawk playing anywhere other than the weak side, or "Will," linebacker spot in the Packers' base defense.

But because of his speed and sideline-to-sideline range, Hawk will rarely, if ever, come off the field, thus requiring him to become familiar with the "Mike" (middle) spot when the Packers go into dime coverage and "Sam" (strong side) spot in the nickel as well.

"We try to double-train as many of our guys as we can for as much as they can handle," Sanders said. "So for him, as far as the base defense, he'll be the Will and for as much as he can digest we'll continue to move him on and get him as ready as we can."

Nick Barnett, the team's three-year starter at middle linebacker, led the Packers in tackles with 194 last year in a scheme that calls for him to do just that.

With Hawk's forte also getting to the ball (121 tackles and 9½ sacks last season), some thought he might displace Barnett and move him to the weak side.

Barnett, however, thinks there's plenty of plays to be made for both, just as the coaching staff does.

"A.J. Hawk playing Will is the same as him playing Mike: He's still running free, making his plays," Barnett said. "He's the fifth pick; they want him to make plays. But he'll make just as many at Will as he will at Mike."

Roll call
Quarterback Brett Favre didn't take part in the fourth day of the Packers' voluntary practices Monday on Clarke Hinkle Field.

He instead spent the morning working out in the weight room. Backup Aaron Rodgers, meanwhile,replaced Favre with the No. 1 offense.

Others who were missing from practice were fullback William Henderson, who had been present the three previous days, and cornerback Ahmad Carroll, who coach Mike McCarthy said last week was expected back for practice Monday after missing Friday.

Veterans who have yet to show up are cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett.

Two previous veteran no-shows, safety Mark Roman and wide receiver Rod Gardner, made their first appearances Monday. Roman had been out for personal reasons, and Gardner's absence was both business- and family-related.

Veteran offensive lineman Adrian Klemm also showed, although he continues to sit out because of a knee injury.

Injury report
Running back Chaz Williams and defensive lineman Kenny Peterson both returned from ankle injuries. Williams missed Thursday, and Peterson was out Thursday and Friday.

Sitting out because of injuries were running backs Ahman Green, Arliss Beach and Najeh Davenport, linebackers Tim Goodwell, Brady Poppinga and Byron Santiago and tackle Chad Clifton.

Cornerback Will Blackmon and offensive lineman Kevin Barry are out and not attending practice.

McKenzie staying put
The Houston Texans on Monday announced the hiring of former Denver assistant general manager Rick Smith as their new GM.

Packers director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie was one of three candidates to interview for the job.

"First and foremost, it was a great experience for me," McKenzie said. "It was my first interview. I felt I was in a win-win situation. I'm glad to be back here."

Roster move
The team released safety Jeremy Thornburg, who had been out since suffering a shoulder injury late last season.

Family Night announced
The Packers' sixth annual Family Night scrimmage will take place Aug. 5 at Lambeau Field. On-field activities will begin at 6 p.m. followed by an intrasquad scrimmage at 7:30.

Tickets are $8 and go on sale at 10 a.m. June 17 and may be purchased either in person, over the phone or via the Internet. A limit of eight tickets per purchase has been enacted this year.

Applications for group sales (50 tickets or more) can be found at www.packers.com or requested by calling (920) 569-7501.

Cliff Christl of the Journal Sentinel staff contributed to this report.

motife
06-06-2006, 04:13 AM
Favre a no-show for Monday's Packers workout
CHRIS JENKINS
Associated Press
GREEN BAY, Wis. - Brett Favre was an unexpected no-show for the Green Bay Packers' voluntary organized team activity workout Monday morning.

But it wasn't immediately clear whether Favre's absence was a big deal - or simply a case of coaches not wanting to overwork their star quarterback so early in the offseason.

Favre was present for last week's voluntary workouts, and Packers coach Mike McCarthy said last week that he expected Favre to attend this week's sessions as well.

McCarthy was not scheduled to speak to the media today, and said through a team spokesman that he would address Favre's absence during his regularly scheduled interview session tomorrow.

McCarthy has said several times that he wants to limit Favre's "pitch count" during workouts so the quarterback doesn't get worn out.

Favre is scheduled to speak to the media on Thursday and will host his annual charity softball tournament on Sunday.

Wide receiver Donald Driver recently said that getting the chance to work with Favre on chemistry and timing was a primary reason he was adamant about attending the voluntary workouts.

But Driver said Monday that he wasn't disappointed Favre wasn't on the field.

"Not at all," Driver said. "We came in, we knew we had a job to do regardless of the situation. We hope that everyone's here, but guys have time to take off. Guys had other plans before these OTAs, and you have to respect that. Guys have their own thing going on right now."

Driver said working with the team's other quarterbacks on Monday was worthwhile.

"We still have great quarterbacks out there throwing the ball, so we can't just say we're not practicing because Brett's not practicing," Driver said. "There's going to be days where he doesn't practice and a lot of other guys don't practice. We still have to practice to win our games, regardless of the situation."

Wide receiver Rod Gardner said he hopes to get as much work as possible with Favre the rest of the month.

"As long as Favre is here, it's guaranteed I'll be here," said Gardner, who missed last week's workouts because of personal commitments.

Favre wasn't the only notable absence on Monday. The Packers were again without both of their projected starting cornerbacks, Al Harris and Charles Woodson. Gardner said he'd prefer to get a chance to work against the team's top corners in practice.

"But I guess the way it's looking like, they won't be here 'til training camp," Gardner said. "I'm still going to be out there working hard, getting better, and it will be good when they all come out and we'll all be working together."

Other notable absences included cornerback Ahmad Carroll, fullback William Henderson and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett.

---

REELING IN ROD: Considering the wide-open opportunity Gardner has to work himself into the Packers' regular receiver rotation, he was among those absent from last week's voluntary workouts.

But Gardner was back on Monday and said he was in for the rest of this month's workouts.

"I think it can give you the edge as you go into training camp," Gardner said. "Then you just have to go out there and perform and show them what you can do. I think that's a good reason to be here during the OTAs. You don't win the job now, you just give the coaches a good look at you and you have to let them have confidence in you. When training camp comes around it'll get pushed to another level."

Gardner said he missed last week's workouts because of personal commitments, including a graduation.

"Coach knew what I had to do," Gardner said. "I had to take care of some home stuff. I could knock it out then or wait 'til later so I got it out of the way. I'm here now."

---

ROMAN HOLIDAY: Safety Mark Roman was missing from last week's workouts, leading to speculation that he was showing his displeasure with the team's signing of free agent safety Marquand Manuel in the offseason.

Not so, he said.

Roman said he had personal commitments last week and always planned on arriving Sunday.

"There's plans that I had before the season even ended last year, and I didn't know they (were) going to schedule these events at this time," Roman said. "And I told the coaches I wasn't trying to make a statement, I wasn't trying to say anything other than I'm going to be there Sunday. And I was there Sunday, like I said I was going to be. Let's go."

Roman said he didn't think his absence from the voluntary workouts would cause a problem with his coaches. He said he plans to attend the remainder of the team's workouts this month.

motife
06-06-2006, 04:20 AM
Posted June 06, 2006 Notebook: Gardner, Roman arrive ready to make impression By Dylan B. Tomlinson
PackersNews.com

After missing the first three days of organized team activities, receiver Rod Gardner and safety Mark Roman were the latest veterans to show up on Monday.

Gardner said he had to take care of some personal and business matters last week.

“I had a closing on Friday and a graduation on Thursday, so there was no sense for me to come in one day and leave the next. I made sure I was here for Monday,” Gardner said. “Coach (Packers coach Mike McCarthy) knew what I had to do. I had to take care of some home stuff. I could knock it out then or wait until later, so I got it out of the way.”

Roman, who has been less than happy with the Packers since the free-agent signing of safety Marquand Manuel, said he wasn’t trying to send any message by arriving late to the optional workouts.

“It wasn’t anything sinister,” Roman said. “There were plans that I had before the season even ended last year, and I didn’t know they were going to schedule these events at this time. I told the coaches I wasn’t trying to make a statement.”

Gardner and Roman said they planned to be in Green Bay for the rest of the OTAs, which end June 21.

The players emphasized that while McCarthy would like all players to attend the offseason workouts, they are not required to attend.

“It is optional,” Roman said. “But I understand that they would like all of us to be here.”

The attendance by the veterans at the OTAs has been less than stellar. Cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett have yet to make an appearance while cornerback Ahmad Carroll, quarterback Brett Favre and fullback William Henderson have missed workouts.

Gardner, who is battling Robert Ferguson for a starting job, said he hopes to make a lasting impression on the coaching staff.

“I think that’s a good reason to be here during the OTAs,” Gardner said. “You don’t win the job now. You just give the coaches a good look at you and you have to let them have confidence in you. When training camp comes around, it’ll get pushed to another level.”

Gardner said one of the reasons it can’t be taken to the next level during the OTAs is because of all of the absences of key players.

“The whole time I was in (Washington), D.C., I was going against (cornerbacks) Champ (Bailey) and (Fred) Smoot every day; that was huge,” Gardner said.

“When (Harris and Woodson) get here, we’ll see what happens. I guess it’s looking like they won’t be here until training camp. I’m still going to be out there working hard, getting better and it will be good when they all come out and we’ll all be working together.”

Injuries: After missing last week’s workouts, injured offensive lineman Adrian Klemm attended practice but did not participate. After missing Friday’s practice with a sprained ankle, defensive lineman Kenny Peterson practiced.

Running backs Ahman Green (quadriceps), Najeh Davenport (ankle) and Arliss Beach (knee), tackle Chad Clifton (knee), linebacker Byron Santiago (back) attended but did not participate in drills.

McKenzie disappointed: Indications are that Reggie McKenzie will remain with the Packers after he didn’t land the general manager job with the Houston Texans.

The Texans over the weekend hired Rick Smith, an assistant general manager with the Denver Broncos.

McKenzie interviewed with the Texans last month and said he was disappointed he didn’t get the job, but he intends to remain with the Packers, where he is the director of pro personnel.

“It was a great experience for me,” McKenzie told The Associated Press. “It was my first interview, and I felt like it was a win-win situation. I’m happy to be back here. Disappointed at first, like any competitive person would be, but I’m still glad to be back here in Green Bay.”

Training camp: The Packers are expected to announce the schedule for training camp today.

Dylan B. Tomlinson writes for The Post-Crescent of Appleton. E-mail him at dtomlins@postcrescent.com