PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the US Open?

PackFan#1
06-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Man, it's about time Tiger returns. Golf without Tiger is like like the NBA without Jordan: boring.

Who do you think will win the US Open?

Tiger hasn't played in a while but I think he will capture his 14th major.

FavreChild
06-11-2008, 02:57 PM
I'll take the field...

red
06-11-2008, 04:01 PM
yeah, its tuff to pick tiger this time. i think he just played his first full 18 yesterday, and he said his knee was pretty sore

it would be amazing if he did win after not playing since the masters

Bossman641
06-11-2008, 04:35 PM
I don't think Tiger will win. I just don't see it after such a long layoff. WHoever wins is gonna be a bomber. That course is set up ridiculously long and the rough is supposed to be pretty gnarly. I'm guessing Phil, Retief, or maybe Sergio if he can get his putting together (doubtful).

Freak Out
06-11-2008, 04:55 PM
The only golfer I give a shit about is that spanker Gulbis.

FavreChild
06-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Trevor Immelman will be going for the Grand Slam. :lol:

Bretsky
06-11-2008, 07:12 PM
My guess is that the "Who Cares" vote goes to "Other"

That's where I'm at

MJZiggy
06-11-2008, 07:33 PM
People still watch golf?

Freak Out
06-11-2008, 07:56 PM
People still watch golf?

Tiger who?

HarveyWallbangers
06-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Man, it's about time Tiger returns. Golf without Tiger is like like the NBA without Jordan: boring.

Is Darren Charles in the field?

HarveyWallbangers
06-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Tiger or Phil? Phil or Tiger? The choice is easy.
by Rick Reilly

Rooting for Tiger Woods is like rooting for Justin Timberlake to get lucky, Exxon to hit a gusher, Bill Gates to find a twenty on the sidewalk. It takes no imagination. It takes no courage. What's the point? It's 1-to-5 he's going to win anyway, whether you cheer or not. Makes no difference to him. It's like rooting for erosion.

Rooting for Phil Mickelson, on the other hand, is like rooting for the salmon to eat the bear. It takes faith. It takes forgiveness. It takes Tums. Mickelson is a roller coaster in an earthquake. One shot will be so inspired you'll cover your mouth in astonishment. The next will be so Spam-brained you'll slap your forehead in disbelief. It's like watching a blind guy jaywalk across Hollywood and Vine. Your fist is in your mouth the whole way.

I bring all this up because Woods and Mickelson will play side-by-side Thursday and Friday at the U.S. Open. You must choose. You cannot root for both. It's un-American.

Here's how to tell them apart: Woods has the Joe Weider body, the Iron Byron swing, the Green Beret mind. Mickelson's body leans toward Sara Lee. He's carried two drivers—one for hooks and one for slices—but none for straights. He can get it up and down out of an ice cream cart, which is a good thing, because he's there a lot. He might be the only athlete whose catch phrase is, "I'm such an idiot!"

For Woods, there's almost nothing at stake this week. It will be just another hunt for just another major, his third U.S. Open and his 14th major overall. It's Year 13 of his Scorched Earth Tour, which we all know will end up with The Coolest Guy in the World owning every golf record known to man, to say nothing of every T-bill. He'll finish with 25 majors, making Jack Nicklaus look like a guy with a rental set.

FOR WOODS, THERE IS ALMOST NOTHING AT STAKE THIS WEEK. FOR MICKELSON? JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING.

At stake for Mickelson? Just about everything. This is arguably the most important major of his life, the one in his hometown, on his home course of Torrey Pines, in front of all his family and friends, against the man who has caused him more heartburn than any other. He's got hopes of finally winning his first U.S. Open after four catastrophic chokes, near misses, and should-have-been second-place finishes in this baby. I ask you, couldn't you switch to Phil just this once?

Besides, rooting for Phil is so much more interesting. Tiger's in the fairway. Phil's in a lady's Prada! Tiger's on the green. Phil is banking it off a pine, a boulder and a San-o-let! Tiger makes a 2-footer for a what-else-is-new 4. Phil makes a seagoing 30-footer for a did-you-see-that 4! It's the difference between watching Dow Jones and Indiana Jones.

Look, Tiger needs this major like Yao needs stilts. There'll be a dozen more after this. He doesn't need to prove he's better than Phil. We know. Not counting Stableford or match-play tournaments, these two have entered 157 pro tournaments together. Tiger is 104-50-3 against him. That's not a rivalry. That's avalanche versus twig. That's more one-sided than a Venezuelan election.

You know, I know, Phil knows that Tiger is a god and Phil is but a serf. There's no argument. Yes, Mickelson is No. 2, but it's about as far as a 2 can get from a 1. Put it this way: Let's say Tiger's knee really bothers him this week—say it bothers him for the rest of the year—and he doesn't play the next three majors. And let's say Mickelson wins all three of these majors. That would still only get Mickelson even with Woods in the world golf ranking.

Do you sort of get what Mickelson's up against? So you could do worse than rooting for him. After all, he has a few qualities Tiger doesn't have. He signs more autographs, smiles more, tips way better. He skis better. Flies a plane better. Bets better, despite all those Vegas rumors that never were true.

I have nothing against Tiger, of course. He's the most accomplished athlete I've ever covered. He's taken us to places in golf we never dreamed. When he said the Grand Slam this year was "easily within reason," we all agreed, because it was. But it's like watching a thresher go through wheat. All that blinding brilliance, all that chewing up and spitting out, can make you a little numb.

So, while everybody feeds the big dog, couldn't you throw the little dog this one bone?

Tarlam!
06-12-2008, 02:51 AM
I don't care which Aussie wins it to be honest! 8-)

LL2
06-12-2008, 09:05 AM
What about Justin Leonard? He looked like he was going to have a good career when he won the British open a few years ago, but haven't heard much about him since then.

MadtownPacker
06-12-2008, 09:22 AM

Is Darren Charles in the field?Haha, took you aholes long enough.

Partial
06-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Federer... Wait wrong open. I'm thinking Phil

PackFan#1
06-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Man, golf is a fickle game. One minute Tiger is at -1, the next he's at +1. Damn double bogeys. Still, I remain convinced Tiger will win. Tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday, we all will witness the greatness that is Tiger Woods. :!:

texaspackerbacker
06-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Tiger's playing hurt, and the course is set up to help shorter hitters.

I agree with the guy who took the field.

FavreChild
06-12-2008, 06:07 PM

You mean the gal.

red
06-12-2008, 06:25 PM

You mean the gal.

tex doesn't acknowledge the fact that females are also allowed to read, type, and use computers

tiger said he was in some pain after todays round. but other then 2 bad holes he'd be right near the top. i didn't see the second double, but the first hole was just one bad tee shot. if he can work out the kinks and if his knee holds up, he could pull it off. but don't count out joe nobody, it seems the guys you've never heard of are the guys that have been making the big runs lately in the majors

PackFan#1
06-13-2008, 08:42 PM
WOW! Greatness before my eyes! Beware of Tiger!

red
06-13-2008, 09:33 PM
well shit, i stopped watching when he was 2 over

guess thats what i get

guess he's gotten rid of the rust

red
06-14-2008, 07:55 PM
OMG

what a putt

MJZiggy
06-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Well say "excuse me" for goodness sakes.

BallHawk
06-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Tiger was just remarkable on that back nine. Two eagles and a chip-in birdie. Wow.

FavreChild
06-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Well, I'm sure the ratings for tomorrow will be much higher than Sunday at the Masters.

Personally, I like to root for Woods to choke because I enjoy his little meltdowns. And I like pulling for the underdog. Like the article Harvey posted, it's too easy to root for Tiger - it's like rooting for the Yankees.

It's good for the sport for him to be atop the leaderboard, though.

BallHawk
06-14-2008, 09:27 PM
It's hard not to pull for Tiger just because of what an amazing player he is. He is one of a kind and I figure I might as well root for him because players like him don't come around too often.

However, I will be rooting for Rocco Mediate tomorrow. He lives in Naples and is house is only a short drive from mine so I'm pulling for the local guy. :D

PackFan#1
06-14-2008, 09:50 PM
OMG

what a putt

I concur! (In fact, Tiger had 3 great putts today)

Tiger is undefeated when he has the lead going into the final round in majors. I like his chances.

PackFan#1
06-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Like the article Harvey posted, it's too easy to root for Tiger - it's like rooting for the Yankees.

More like rooting for the Chicago Bulls of the Jordan era. Just pure greatness.

Comparing Tiger to the Yankees is just idiotic.

BallHawk
06-14-2008, 09:57 PM
OMG

what a putt

I concur! (In fact, Tiger had 3 great putts today)

Tiger is undefeated when he has the lead going into the final round in majors. I like his chances.

The knee is a concern, though.

PackFan#1
06-14-2008, 10:01 PM
The knee is a concern, though.

Yeah, hopefully it won't be that much of a problem trm.

Deputy Nutz
06-14-2008, 10:28 PM
It's hard not to pull for Tiger just because of what an amazing player he is. He is one of a kind and I figure I might as well root for him because players like him don't come around too often.

However, I will be rooting for Rocco Mediate tomorrow. He lives in Naples and is house is only a short drive from mine so I'm pulling for the local guy. :D

Tiger is my generation. Tiger is not the Yankees, he is one person on a quest to be the best. He came from remarkably humble beginnings, especially compared to others he competes against. He had no country club privileges. That is what makes Tiger special.

He is probably one of my favorite athletes competing right now. Like Favre, you tune in when Tiger is playing because you never know when you are going to see something magical.

Deputy Nutz
06-14-2008, 11:01 PM
How about Phil and his melt down today on the 13th? How many time are gonna hit the shot short?

BallHawk
06-14-2008, 11:07 PM
How about Phil and his melt down today on the 13th? How many time are gonna hit the shot short?That was brutal to watch. Ernie Els ended up doing the same thing. Phil has just never been the same since Winged Foot. He's been good, he's won a few, but he's never got back to that level.

FavreChild
06-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Tiger = Jordan and the Bulls? Well, I didn't root for them, either.

Tiger = Favre? No, don't get that comparison, either. Tiger is way more dominant than Favre was, but is more injury prone. Personality and charisma-wise, they are nothing alike. That comparison just doesn't work for me, sorry.

The Yankees comparison does, and I'm sticking with it. Y'all don't have to like it. But face it, not everyone roots for Tiger. And just for calling me idiotic, I will root extra hard against Tiger and will join BallHawk in rooting for Rocco. :wink:

Tarlam!
06-15-2008, 08:12 AM
I disagree with you, FC. One of the very few times I have, though.

red
06-15-2008, 07:54 PM
WOW

poor rocco

RashanGary
06-15-2008, 08:02 PM
I could see Rocco winning tomorow. Another day on that tender knee could prove to be too much and Rocco is really playing good golf.

BallHawk
06-15-2008, 08:14 PM
This is the most entertaining golf event in a while. I'm not pulling for one guy in particular tomorrow, I'm just hoping for a good, exciting game.

I'm sure some employers are going to be short-staffed with a lot of people calling in sick. :D

bobblehead
06-15-2008, 08:18 PM
I could see Rocco winning tomorow. Another day on that tender knee could prove to be too much and Rocco is really playing good golf.

Problem is he is going to not only be playing golf, he is playing against the spectre of Tiger, and very very very few people would not be bothered by that. Its an advantage Tiger has earned thru the years, it is why guys like him and Jordan get better as they go in finesse sports.

Football is much different, in a violent physical sport, "tightening" up isn't really a factor, in golf, or basketball it is.

Interestingly, if tiger had struggled early in his career and gotten that seed of doubt in his mind things may have been dramatically different in the golf world.

red
06-15-2008, 09:35 PM
tigers knee could go out at any time

but tiger could also learn to throw the driver out of his bag tomorrow. he can't swing the big stick with his knee the way it is. he should have learned by now

if he would have checked his ego and hit 3 wood of the tee he would have won today

rocco just seems like a ball of nerves just listening to him talk. he needs a smoke and a drink

if both guys keep it together it could be a great round, but i could also see them having one of the uglier rounds imaginable, even worse then today

what time does it start tomorrow? i don't want to miss the whole damn thing because of work

Bretsky
06-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Who won ? Or is it not done yet ?

PackFan#1
06-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Who won ? Or is it not done yet ?

Tie. 18 holes playoff trm. Noon ET on ESPN. Go Tiger!

I can't believe you missed Tiger's last putt today!!!!

Without all those goddamn double bogeys, Tiger would've won by who knows what.

red
06-15-2008, 10:09 PM
tiger drained a pretty difficult putt for birdie on 18 forcing an 18 hole playoff that will take place tomorrow between him and rocco

PackFan#1
06-15-2008, 10:21 PM
tiger drained a pretty difficult putt for birdie on 18 forcing an 18 hole playoff that will take place tomorrow between him and rocco

Rocco is a nice fellow. If he beats Tiger trm, it would an upset for the ages. But I don't see that happening.

GoPackGo
06-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Normally I don't watch golf, but watching holes 16-18 was awesome. Tiger needed the birdie on 18 to tie. I thought it was over when his first shot went into the sand and his second shot went into the rough.
Rocco comes off as a huge douchebag. Go Tiger

BallHawk
06-15-2008, 10:28 PM

Rocco is a real nice, humble guy. I've only seen him in person a few times and I've only talked to him once, but he's far from a douche. He's a normal guy.

PackFan#1
06-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Rocco comes off as a huge douchebag.

Wtf are you talking about? Rocco is well-liked by everyone in golf for his cool, charismatic demeanor.

You want a douche bag, think John Daly.

GoPackGo
06-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Maybe its because he's 45 years old wearing braces on his teeth, and donning an all black outfit with an over sized peace sign for a belt buckle. 1st impressions is douchebag all the way.

PackFan#1
06-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Maybe it because he's 45 years old wearing braces on his teeth, and donning an all black outfit with an over sized peace sign for a belt buckle.

Wow, you sound just like bobblehead in my other thread.

Conservatives are so fucking narrow-minded, they believe anyone who looks/dresses beyond the norm of their narrow mind qualifies for, in the words of bobblehed "negitive feelings."

GoPackGo
06-15-2008, 11:37 PM
chill the fuck out
I'm laughing at the guy and his belt buckle

PackFan#1
06-15-2008, 11:40 PM
chill the fuck out
I'm laughing at the guy and his belt buckle

Well, you sound like someone who has only seen 2 holes of golf in his life, so I'm cool. :)

GoPackGo
06-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Normally I don't watch golf, but watching holes 16-18 was awesome. Tiger needed the birdie on 18 to tie. I thought it was over when his first shot went into the sand and his second shot went into the rough.

Like I said above.

I like to play golf myself, so I can appreciate watching two pros going toe to toe

bobblehead
06-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Maybe it because he's 45 years old wearing braces on his teeth, and donning an all black outfit with an over sized peace sign for a belt buckle.

Wow, you sound just like bobblehead in my other thread.

Conservatives are so fucking narrow-minded, they believe anyone who looks/dresses beyond the norm of their narrow mind qualifies for, in the words of bobblehed "negitive feelings."

Wow, i open a thread I have only opened once before and find this...nice one. Can't really say too much, except I would expect no less from you. I guess it makes sense you would go to a thread that has no interest to me and trash me, you can't compete on an intellectual level so you resort to this....I pity you.

Scott Campbell
06-16-2008, 08:02 AM

Is Darren Charles in the field?Haha, took you aholes long enough.

I called it a week ago.

Deputy Nutz
06-16-2008, 08:28 AM
Tiger = Jordan and the Bulls? Well, I didn't root for them, either.

Tiger = Favre? No, don't get that comparison, either. Tiger is way more dominant than Favre was, but is more injury prone. Personality and charisma-wise, they are nothing alike. That comparison just doesn't work for me, sorry.

The Yankees comparison does, and I'm sticking with it. Y'all don't have to like it. But face it, not everyone roots for Tiger. And just for calling me idiotic, I will root extra hard against Tiger and will join BallHawk in rooting for Rocco. :wink:

The
Yankee, no sorry. This guy didn't have anything bought for him. He grew up playing public courses, mostly working on the practice greens and driving ranges with his father. He never had a pro growing up. His dad was his coach.

You certainly don't have to pull for Tiger, but he certainly isn't the Yankees.

GoPackGo
06-16-2008, 11:21 AM
After one hole:
Tiger=Par
Rocco=Bogey

After 3:
Rocco birdies and Tiger bogeys

Rocco=11
Woods=12

Bossman641
06-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Is anyone watching this? I'm stuck at work and pissed I can't see it.

SkinBasket
06-16-2008, 03:20 PM
I don't watch tennis. Who won?

PackFan#1
06-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Tiger won. Lots of drama. I am now a fan of Rocco (Tiger is still my favorite player). :D

Watch sportscenter when you robots get home. :)

PackFan#1
06-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Still, I remain convinced Tiger will win. Tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday, we all will witness the greatness that is Tiger Woods. :!:

I was close. Didn't think the tourny would extend into Monday. Nonetheless, greatness all the way. :!:

BallHawk
06-16-2008, 03:52 PM
That's definitely the most entertaining golf match I've ever seen and will see. Rocco kept up with Tiger all the way and forced him to play one hole more. Rocco's a great guy and although it would of been nice to see him win, Tiger just pulled it out.

Bossman641
06-16-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm so sick of seeing Tiger win. He's a great golfer and I appreciate his talents but for once I want to see someone go toe-to-toe with him and win. Rocco messed up by not birdieing 18 either of the past 2 days.

Congrats to Tiger

LL2
06-16-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm so sick of seeing Tiger win. He's a great golfer and I appreciate his talents but for once I want to see someone go toe-to-toe with him and win. Rocco messed up by not birdieing 18 either of the past 2 days.

Congrats to Tiger

I agree. I was really hoping that Rocco would've won it. he blew it in sudden death.

PackFan#1
06-16-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm so sick of seeing Tiger win.

I am NEVER sick of seeing Tiger win.

Hopefully, he wins the next 2 majors and at least 3 next year to pass Jack Nicklaus on the major list.

Tiger is the greatest, imo. :!:

PackFan#1
06-16-2008, 04:19 PM
You certainly don't have to pull for Tiger, but he certainly isn't the Yankees.

Tiger doesn't buy his championships; he earned them. Nuff said.

PackFan#1
06-16-2008, 04:23 PM
On an unrelated note, I hate consumerism but I think I'm gonna go buy a case Tiger's new Gatorade drink. :)

http://www.likecool.com/Body/Food/Gatorade%20Tiger/Gatorade-Tiger.jpg

oregonpackfan
06-17-2008, 12:51 AM
I am not a golf fan but I admire Tiger's win. From I heard, Tiger's win was even more impressive because he recently had knee surgery and his knee was hurting him during the tournament.

Despite his pain, he toughed it and and won. Kind of reminds me of a very tough quarterback who used to play a lot of years for the Packers...

the_idle_threat
06-18-2008, 06:48 AM
On an unrelated note, I hate consumerism but I think I'm gonna go buy a case Tiger's new Gatorade drink. :)

http://www.likecool.com/Body/Food/Gatorade%20Tiger/Gatorade-Tiger.jpg

Each bottle contains one drop of Tiger's actual urine ... one drop of GREATNESS. :idea:

LL2
06-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Now, Tiger is going to have season ending knee surgery. This sucks, not because I'm a fan of him, but I like rooting for the underdog to try and beat Tiger. All the otehr golfers will have a chance to win the next two majors with Tiger not being there, but that's like trying to beat the Patriots without Brady and Moss playing. The win isn't the same.

red
06-18-2008, 02:03 PM
that just makes his win even more amazing

he has a double stress fracture in his leg. and he ruptured his acl last year. right before he went on his late season tear

thats nuts

oregonpackfan
06-18-2008, 04:39 PM
that just makes his win even more amazing

he has a double stress fracture in his leg. and he ruptured his acl last year. right before he went on his late season tear

thats nuts

I agree.

Deputy Nutz
06-18-2008, 05:09 PM
I guess Retief Goosen claiming that Tiger's leg wasn't that bad to a British Television station is a false statement. What the hell is up this guys ass, other than his game completely falling apart.

digitaldean
06-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Now, Tiger is going to have season ending knee surgery. This sucks, not because I'm a fan of him, but I like rooting for the underdog to try and beat Tiger. All the otehr golfers will have a chance to win the next two majors with Tiger not being there, but that's like trying to beat the Patriots without Brady and Moss playing. The win isn't the same.

I agree to a point. I am a big Tiger fan. Being a golfer, I take in awe the ability to hit the shots he has, to make the putts he has and to have the mental toughness he has.

He is so mentally tough. That is one of the reasons though that this US Open will have to rank as one of the (if the #1) major tournaments. One because of the medical condition. Two, because you had a journeyman golfer ranked #158 that for most of the time didn't even flinch. He fell 3 down in the playoff and came back to lead.

If Tiger can come back from his knee injury, we might be able to see him break Jack's record at Whistling Straits....

PackFan#1
06-18-2008, 11:25 PM
Sucks that Tiger is done for the season. I was looking forward to watching him win this year Open.