PDA

View Full Version : McCain's Probable Political Demise

Kiwon
06-11-2008, 05:37 PM
I don't get it.

John McCain is old, he can't speak, his policies are unpopular among many in his own party, he's fighting the natural trend where parties switch the White House, and most of all, he's on the record as pledging not to play dirty and resort to personal attacks against Obama and the Dems, a strategy that severely limits his ability to battle effectively in an overwhelmingly pro-Obama/pro-Democratic Party media environment.

The man doesn't stand much of a chance if Obama is such a divine, change agent of hope.

So if McCain is so weak and Obama so strong then why is McCain being unfairly attacked with arguments that only appeal to the far-Left? If they just let the man alone he'll lose on his own merits anyway, right?

The unfair attacks by press ideologues and Hollywood airheads help John McCain, not hurt him, by making him a sympathetic character. Groups like MoveOn.org don't do the Obama campaign any favors (unless they are actually ideologically in synch with one another).

John Cusack takes on McCain in political ad

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Pop quiz: Why has John Cusack jumped into the political arena with a pair of videos saying John McCain is a war-profiteering clone of President George W. Bush?

"I know my opinion doesn't matter more than anyone else's and I just make films," he told The Associated Press in a phone interview Wednesday. "But I do feel you have to speak out, and that's what I'm doing."

The 30-second videos, which went out to members of the liberal political activist group MoveOn.org on Wednesday, will begin airing as television ads Thursday. In one, Cusack offers a "pop quiz" to voters, asking them among other things: "Who supports keeping our troops in harm's way in Iraq but not the bipartisan G.I. bill of rights to support them when they return home?"

McCain and Bush both do, Cusack says, adding, "Bet you can't tell them apart."

In the other, he points out that Charlie Black, a key campaign adviser to presumptive Republican presidential nominee McCain, has been a lobbyist for Blackwater Worldwide, the largest private security contractor in Iraq.

In his latest film, the war satire "War Inc.," Cusack makes no secret that he believes the Iraq war was created to profit private businesses like Blackwater and Bechtel Corp., which hold war-related contracts.

"I'm not going to pretend this thing in Iraq was some kind of free market utopia to spread the gospel of democracy through the Middle East," he told the AP from London, where he's at work on another project.

Cusack says he supports Democrat Barack Obama.

Although he has made such films as "War Inc." and last year's "Grace is Gone," in which he plays the husband of a soldier killed in Iraq, Cusack notes this has been his first high-profile foray into partisan politics.

texaspackerbacker
06-11-2008, 05:59 PM
How is McCain "war-profiteering"? Did his wife get a monopoly on providing Bud to the troops?

Bechtel, Blackwater, and a bunch of other contractors were used to compensate for the smaller military--a very effective backdoor way to accomplish the mission with a reduced number of troops killed. For the job those contractors are doing, they SHOULD be well paid. In any case, I don't see this as any kind of an issue that the libs can pin on McCain.

Kiwon
06-11-2008, 07:34 PM
The charges are so absurd that they resonate only with left-wing kooks.

These people are so delusional that they think they represent the values of mainstream America rather than those of the liberal-elite echo-chamber they live in.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Oh, i see..it is the liberal media when it goes against bush, but when a story about a liberal comes out..you lap it up.

Of course, it would be too much to ask Kiwon to actually watch the video before commenting..that would ruin his fun.

Nowhere in the video does Cusack say anything about MCain. What he does say is...which candidates advisers are linked to war profiteers. Accurate.

Unless you wanna claim Blackwater isn't a war profiteer. That would be the same company that is being sued for cutting corners. The same company has receieved no-bid government contracts in Iraq, Afghanistan, and post-Katrina New Orleans, all from George W. Bush's administration.

But, we wouldn't want to criticize them would we Kiwon..since Prince is ultra right wing and part of the christian right.

And, even then...still nothing said about McCain.

HarveyWallbangers
06-11-2008, 09:03 PM
The charges are so absurd that they resonate only with left-wing kooks.

TB proves your theory.

Harlan Huckleby
06-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Kiwon,

You criticize McCain for not playing dirty.
Then you criticize the left for playing dirty.

I have no use for you right wing stooges who think the swift boat attacks on Kerry were legitimate. Then again, the left has proven to be just as bad. One can always find evidence to smear someone.

I like McCain's approach to politics.

bobblehead
06-12-2008, 12:50 AM
This is why if I were mccain I would simply stick to the issues like taxes, regulation and such.

Anyway, I'm not going out of my way to watch Cusak get political, I love his films, great humor and seriousness. If he wants to engage me politically he will have to start posting here so I get to ask a few questions too.

You know, questions like "why would you say you can't tell them apart when one cut taxes dramatically across the spectrum while the other called said cuts tax cuts for the rich?"

Kiwon
06-12-2008, 01:58 AM
Kiwon,

You criticize McCain for not playing dirty.
Then you criticize the left for playing dirty.

I have no use for you right wing stooges who think the swift boat attacks on Kerry were legitimate. Then again, the left has proven to be just as bad. One can always find evidence to smear someone.

I like McCain's approach to politics.

Listen to Bill Clinton-lite, addressing something that doesn't exist. Typical faulty reasoning on your part. BTW, Kerry lost. Get over it.

The criticism was of the far-left extremist groups' "unfair attacks." McCain's got a record, a long one. There is plenty that he can legitmately scrutinized on without such ridiculous charges of being a "war-profiteering clone of President George W. Bush."

texaspackerbacker
06-12-2008, 03:06 AM
Harlan, you keep belly-aching about the Swift Boaters. Even Kerry himself knew their charges were true--that his Purple Hearts were phony and for the cowardly purpose of getting him out of the war zone. He has NEVER even denied that. How could he? The doctor who "treated" him was one of the chief accusers.

If you think the "Swift-Boating" was so bad, why don't you explain how Kerry really was injured enough to justify even one Purple Heart, much less three. You can't because he wasn't. Even he backs off from that claim now.

Blackwater is charged with "cutting corners"? Uh, I think in an unconventional war against a terrorist enemy, I kinda like having some "corner cutters" getting the job done on our side.