06-12-2008, 03:43 AM
... looks pretty strong so far:

Favre
Strahan
Odgen
Junior Seau
Larry Allen
(Sapp) :?:

I think the Limit is 5. What do you think? Who will be inducted, who has to wait at least a year?

b bulldog
06-12-2008, 05:57 AM
I wouldn't file Seau's papers quite yet

red
06-12-2008, 06:08 AM
sapps not in IMO

he had a few big years, but his mouth made him more od a star then his play did

favre's in for sure, strahans a lock, and ogden should be a lock, allen probably is too

the others aren't sure thing first ballot guys IMO

Guiness
06-12-2008, 02:18 PM
You didn't waste any time adding Ogden to the list. Didn't he retire, like, today? :?

Assuming you can add Seau, I'm not so sure all (or even any) of them will go into the hall with Favre. He's a sure-fire first ballot, and they'd probably waive the waiting period if they weren't so afraid he'd come back!

Anyways, I don't think any of the rest will be sure to go in right away. The best argument could be made for Allen, but he's a lineman, and a Guard at that. Those guys don't just don't get the respect by the selection comittee.

BTW I see Ray Guy's on the list again this year. He's not in why????

Tyrone Bigguns
06-12-2008, 02:43 PM
sapps not in IMO

favre's in for sure, strahans a lock, and ogden should be a lock, allen probably is too

Not in? You mean first ballot, right. Cause he is a sure fire HOF.

7 straight Pro Bowls. Defensive POY. Superbowl winner. NFL's all DECADE team. 4 time first team all-pro. 96.5 sacks from a DT.

Yep, his mouth did all that.

That, my friend, is a first ballot HOF.

red
06-12-2008, 04:11 PM
yeah, his mouth did get him most of that

i see maybe 5 great seasons out of him. the rest were nothing special.

he made all those pro bowls of the name he made for himself, mostly using his mouth

and i did mean first ballot. he'll get in, i just don't think he's a sure first first ballot guy

Deputy Nutz
06-12-2008, 04:20 PM
sapps not in IMO

7 straight Pro Bowls. Defensive POY. Superbowl winner. NFL's all DECADE team. 4 time first team all-pro. 96.5 sacks from a DT.

Agreed 95 sacks from defensive tackle is huge, but of all the players on that list, I think he might be the odd man out. Ogden and Allen are two of the best offensive linemen in the history of football. It would be a shame if one of those two didn't make it on the first ballot because they played offensive line. If there is only five going, it will come down to either Strahan or Sapp, both of them deserve to go in on first ballot. What if Orlando Pace retires before the start of the year? Then what?

Tyrone Bigguns
06-12-2008, 04:42 PM
yeah, his mouth did get him most of that

i see maybe 5 great seasons out of him. the rest were nothing special.

he made all those pro bowls of the name he made for himself, mostly using his mouth

and i did mean first ballot. he'll get in, i just don't think he's a sure first first ballot guy

Right. If he gets pro bowl "gifts" after he made his name, he certainly shoulda been in before as well...when someone else was livin off rep. That is the pro bowl game. You can't single out him for that.

Mouth, is hilarious. He didn't make the all decade team on mouth. If that was the case lots of other players would have been all decade.

Guess he "fooled" all those writers at the AP, Sporting News, pro football weekly, and pro football writers....guess are just dopes..easily manipulated by a a mouthy football player.

You can criticize all you want, but you just look foolish..you don't rack up 96 sacks with your mouth from the DT position. You dont' get POY from your mouth. YOu don't get 4 all-pro from your mouth.

Guess that 10 sack season in 06..which he didn't make the pro bowl..at age 34 wasn't impressive.

You don't play 13 years..and play 15/16 games a season on your mouth. DURABLE.

I believe Danimal was a first ballot HOF. Let's compare. 4 pro bowls. One less season played. Less games played...hurt quite a bit. 57 sacks.

Stop being a hater.

bobblehead
06-12-2008, 04:59 PM
I still hate him. He probably won't get in first ballot partly BECAUSE of his mouth...whether he deserves it or not...hard for me to say...like I said, I still hate him.

After the Clifton hit all he had to do was say "ya know, the hit was legal, and as a player you are in the middle of a play and you are looking to knock people flat, but not injure them. I hope his injury isn't serious and I wish him a fast recovery....get well chad"

Wouldn't that have been a better image than a wide eyed sapp with a big dip in shouting "was it a legal hit....was it a legal hit". But hey, these guys aren't paid for their brains and diplomacy skills. He is paid for being big and athletic, and the buttmuncher was that.

falco
06-12-2008, 05:09 PM
with a class like that I hope favre is able to make it in his first time through

lets keep our fingers crossed nobody else better than him retires this year (tom brady, peyton manning, etc)

Tyrone Bigguns
06-12-2008, 05:24 PM
I still hate him. He probably won't get in first ballot partly BECAUSE of his mouth...whether he deserves it or not...hard for me to say...like I said, I still hate him.

After the Clifton hit all he had to do was say "ya know, the hit was legal, and as a player you are in the middle of a play and you are looking to knock people flat, but not injure them. I hope his injury isn't serious and I wish him a fast recovery....get well chad"

Wouldn't that have been a better image than a wide eyed sapp with a big dip in shouting "was it a legal hit....was it a legal hit". But hey, these guys aren't paid for their brains and diplomacy skills. He is paid for being big and athletic, and the buttmuncher was that.

No argument here. Sapp was a typical U player.

If class was a requirement for HOF (regardless of sport)...well, we would have a hard time fielding eligible candidates.

I will say this about Sapp...since i lived in the tampa area when he played there. He did donate time and money to Pediatric Cancer Foundation.

And, i recall that he golfed on the same team as Favre for the NFL..some charity thing.

bobblehead
06-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Well, he may have been a pretty nice guy behind it all, just dumb. There are a lot of athletes like that, I never met him, so I am strictly judging him based on interviews and such, that probably isn't fair, but its all I have to go on. I am glad to hear he was active in charities and the like, it raises my opinion a bit.

Conseco was always like that too, good with charities and childrens causes, but a real selfish a-hole. He was right on steroids though. And again, sapp may be a great guy who just isn't good in front of a camera or when being accused like the clifton incident, but my image of him is a selfish JO.

Now speaking of bucs....cadillac williams is a class act all the way, I have met him and he is presently my favorite athlete I have ever gotten to meet. I really hope he has a stellar career except when the packers face him.

woodbuck27
06-13-2008, 10:38 AM
sapps not in IMO

Agreed 95 sacks from defensive tackle is huge, but of all the players on that list, I think he might be the odd man out. Ogden and Allen are two of the best offensive linemen in the history of football. It would be a shame if one of those two didn't make it on the first ballot because they played offensive line. If there is only five going, it will come down to either Strahan or Sapp, both of them deserve to go in on first ballot. What if Orlando Pace retires before the start of the year? Then what?

Strahan trumps Sappy.

DonHutson
06-13-2008, 11:31 AM
From the Hall of Fame's website:

"The Board of Selectors meets annually at the time of the Super Bowl to elect new members. There is no set number for any class of enshrinees but, the Board's current ground rules do stipulate that between four and seven new members will be selected each year. The 1973 and 1976 classes of three were the smallest ever named."

So there's nothing magic about having five inductees.

There's plenty of room for Favre, Strahan, Ogden, Allen, Seau, and Sapp.

Jimx29
06-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Strahan isn't a first year pick