PDA

View Full Version : Report fr. NFL.COM Packers absent fr. OTA's Mon. 06/05/06

woodbuck27
06-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Favre absent from Packers' voluntary workout

NFL.com wire reports

GREEN BAY, Wis. (June 5, 2006) -- Brett Favre was an unexpected no-show for the Green Bay Packers ' voluntary workout June 5.

But it wasn't immediately clear whether Favre's absence was a big deal -- or simply a case of coaches not wanting to overwork their star quarterback so early in the offseason.

Favre was present for last week's voluntary workouts, and Packers coach Mike McCarthy said last week that he expected Favre to attend this week's sessions as well.

McCarthy said through a team spokesman that he would address Favre's absence during his regularly scheduled interview session on June 6. He has said several times that he wants to limit Favre's "pitch count" during workouts so the quarterback doesn't get worn out.

Favre is scheduled to speak to the media on June 8 and will host his annual charity softball tournament on June 12.

Wide receiver Donald Driver recently said that getting the chance to work with Favre on chemistry and timing was a primary reason he was adamant about attending the voluntary workouts.

But Driver said that he wasn't disappointed Favre wasn't on the field.

"Not at all," Driver said. "We came in, we knew we had a job to do regardless of the situation. We hope that everyone's here, but guys have time to take off. Guys had other plans and you have to respect that. Guys have their own thing going on right now."

Driver said working with the team's other quarterbacks on Monday was worthwhile.

"We still have great quarterbacks out there throwing the ball, so we can't just say we're not practicing because Brett's not practicing," Driver said. "There's going to be days where he doesn't practice and a lot of other guys don't practice. We still have to practice to win our games, regardless of the situation."

Favre wasn't the only notable absence. The Packers were again without both of their projected starting cornerbacks, Al Harris and Charles Woodson. Other notable absences included cornerback Ahmad Carroll, fullback William Henderson and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett.

Recap:

McCarthy said through a team spokesman that he would address Favre's absence during his regularly scheduled interview session today June 6/06.

Maybe, we will gleen the reason that others besides Favre were missing yesterday for example Ahmad Carroll and Ryan Pickett.

the_idle_threat
06-06-2006, 02:19 PM
On a related note, I took the day off yesterday to go golfing.

HOLY MOTHER OF MERCY SWEET AND SOUR JESUS WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!?!?!? I MISSED A DAY OF WORK!!!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harlan Huckleby
06-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Sorry for repeating myself and posting the same thing over and over and being redundant, but:

I hate these missing person stories! They are getting boring.

And while I'm ranting, how do we get "OTA" and "Organized Team ACtivity" out of the language? They invaded this spring like killer bees, driving-out a perfectly good word like "practice."

F*ck these "voluntary" practices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just reduce their number to something reasonable and make them mandatory in the next CBA!!!!

Murphy37
06-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Sorry for repeating myself and posting the same thing over and over and being redundant, but:

I hate these missing person stories! They are getting boring.

And while I'm ranting, how do we get "OTA" and "Organized Team ACtivity" out of the language? They invaded this spring like killer bees, driving-out a perfectly good word like "practice."

F*ck these "voluntary" practices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just reduce their number to something reasonable and make them mandatory in the next CBA!!!!

Exactly Harlan, I hate this "Voluntary" label when your really expected to be there. In college I had a teacher who scheduled a guest speaker to come in, and called that day a "Voluntary" day for attendence. Well you were graded on attendence in that class, and if you had less than a certain amount of absences, your grade received a bump up one notch. Well of coarse, I went out and partied my ass of knowing that I didn't have to attend the voluntary class day. Then next time I showed up for a mandatory class, I got chewed out, and did not receive my grad bump for good attendence at the end of the semester. I still hold a grudge over that fucker till this day as you can tell. It's kinda like your wife when she says it's OK to go out with the guys, when she really means she'll give ya the guilt treatment when you get home. Say what you mean, dammit.

Mazzin
06-06-2006, 05:17 PM
I know these things aren't too important (OTAs) But wouldn't it be nice to have a 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd string CB in the friggin thing participating, now all the news i hear about our receivers in these things are NULL and VOID they have NO comp. Mike Hawkins = too raw.

woodbuck27
06-06-2006, 08:29 PM
I know these things aren't too important (OTAs) But wouldn't it be nice to have a 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd string CB in the friggin thing participating, now all the news i hear about our receivers in these things are NULL and VOID they have NO comp. Mike Hawkins = too raw.

Excellent point Mazzin. It's almost as if the OTA'a are treated as 'paint by numbers' by some. They are only up for - the REAL thing.

The fellas that are turning out, are the one's we'll forgive for errors in the Season though.

woodbuck27
06-07-2006, 09:45 PM
We have a few personnel problems with the worst being the trouble that 4th Rd. pick Cory Rodgers has got himself in related to a weapons charge but get this:

Lewis says players have shamed Bengals

NFL.com wire reports

CINCINNATI (June 7, 2006) -- Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said that he let two players know they've disgraced the team with their off-field legal problems.

"I told the people that yes, you embarrass us as an organization, myself, and the coaches when these things occur," Lewis said of rookie linebacker A.J. Nicholson and second-year receiver Chris Henry. "Right, wrong or indifferent, there are certain things that you're asked not to be a part of or around."

Lewis insisted, however, that the recent arrests of Nicholson and Henry -- Henry's third arrest within seven months -- aren't distractions to the team as it prepares for summer minicamp next week.

"We'll move forward and move on, and they'll be dealt with as they are allowed to be dealt with," Lewis said after players gathered for a voluntary practice.

Nicholson, 21, is charged with grand theft and burglary, both felonies, in a break-in at a former Florida State teammate's apartment in Tallahassee, Fla. He was the Bengals' fifth-round draft choice this year.

Henry, 23, drafted in the third round last year from West Virginia, is recovering from a January knee injury. He was charged June 4 in nearby Clermont County with speeding and drunken driving. He also faces trial Aug. 21 in Orlando, Fla., on a concealed weapon charge following a January incident in which police say he pulled a pistol on a group of revelers.

Henry pleaded guilty in March to marijuana charges from a December arrest in Kentucky, avoiding jail time after completing a drug rehabilitation program.

"That bothers me when someone doesn't quite understand social laws," said Lewis. "That bothers me, no question."