PDA

View Full Version : Gamers sue EA over football exclusivity

]{ilr]3
06-12-2008, 05:25 PM
I was seriously disappointed when the NFL decided to give exclusive right to NFL football to EA Games because I new it meant years of mediocre football games and that is exactly what we got.

http://au.gamespot.com/news/6192409.html

Pair of Madden purchasers going to court over "blatantly anticompetitive conduct" by locking down NFL, NCAA, and Arena Football licenses.

I was excited about Football games again when 2K5 came out. It was a better product than Madden and cost less.

The class-action complaint focuses on Electronic Arts' actions since 2004, when Take-Two Interactive's NFL 2K5 was released at a $19.99 price point and sold more than 2.9 million copies in the US, according to NPD figures. Take-Two's previous football game, ESPN NFL Football, sold fewer than 450,000 copies in the US. Meanwhile, EA dropped the price of its Madden 2005 from $49.95 to $29.95 in response

I actually blame the NFL as much as EA Games. I knew EA Games was all about buying other peoples good names and producing a crap product to make easy money simply because they know it will sell well, but I didnt expect the NFL to sell out to the slime of the video game world and turn its back on fans for an extra billion dollars.

I owned both NFL 2K5 and Madden 2005 that year buying Madden first and realizing it sucked bought 2k5 and really liked it. I have been seriously thinking about purchasing this years version simply because Favre is on the cover and I am a sucker for anything Packers related. I think this years version is the last year of the deal the NFL struck with EA Games. Hopefully this is the end of crappy games with minimal updates every year and an outrageous price tag. $20 is about right when you hardly change anything except the roster, not the $45-55 they are currently asking.

bobblehead
06-12-2008, 05:36 PM
I would say the fools are the ones who payed the 49.95.

FavreChild
06-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Well, it didn't work when fans tried to sue the NFL over giving exclusive rights to DirecTV for Sunday Ticket; it won't work for gamers. As bobble points out, as long as consumers are willing to pay a premium price, EA is happy to fork over the rights fee. Unfortunate for many consumers, I agree, but exclusive rights are part of copyright law.

3irty1
06-13-2008, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't say Madden sucks but it does have a long way to go. With as much money as Madden makes, I expect EA to try a LOT harder.

]{ilr]3
06-13-2008, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't say Madden sucks but it does have a long way to go. With as much money as Madden makes, I expect EA to try a LOT harder.

Yes, you make a good point. Its not that it sucks, its that with the revenue coming they could make an outstanding game every year and still make a huge profit. Pretty much sums up why I hate EA Games, they do this with everything they get thier claws on.

red
06-13-2008, 06:03 PM

it hasn't changed in like 10 years. just minor graphics improvements every year, new rosters, and maybe one "major" addition that i'll never use

Mazzin
06-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Agreed Madden has fallen off. The controls of nfl 2k series was WAYYY better a system. The game had a REAL halftime show.....announcers on the fields, interviews with coaches,all that good stuff.

Maddne just brought a product, and watered it down on the360 for a year, and than started adding back in all the shit that they had taken out to water it down.

Its a damned shame, because based on POTENTIOAL alone, madden could be the MACK daddy......

But the SECOND a 2k5 title hits im down with it!

Guiness
06-14-2008, 08:53 AM
But the SECOND a 2k5 title hits im down with it!

Hey, lookit what rat climbed out of her hole! :D

MJZiggy
06-14-2008, 08:55 AM
She just can't resist a good gaming thread...

Guiness
06-14-2008, 08:57 AM
{ilr]3]
Yes, you make a good point. Its not that it sucks, its that with the revenue coming they could make an outstanding game every year and still make a huge profit. Pretty much sums up why I hate EA Games, they do this with everything they get thier claws on.

You'd hate them even more if you knew how they treated their employees.

Try a google for EA employee, or EA employee spouse to see the crap they have pulled. I believe there was even a class action lawsuit against them at one point. I don't know how long they keep archives, but Slashdot had some pretty good discussions about it.

BallHawk
06-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Look at the Madden for this year, watch videos, read impressions. This year's Madden is going to be the best one since 2005, maybe better.

Tony Oday
06-15-2008, 01:51 AM
I just dont like how they changed the control pattern from past years. I mean Madden had the same control pattern for YEARS what was the point of changing it?

red
06-15-2008, 06:58 AM
I just dont like how they changed the control pattern from past years. I mean Madden had the same control pattern for YEARS what was the point of changing it?

i said in another thread, i just bought fifa 08 on friday, also an EA game, and they pull the same crap with that series.

i had 2006, it took me about 3 weeks to learn how to score a goal, now with 08 they changed it all again. i've played around 30 matches, and i've scored 2 goals. its infuriating. why in the world do you have to switch it up every year, just to piss us off?

they need to worry less about changing the controls, and worry more about making the games good

KYPack
06-15-2008, 07:15 AM

Now I get the Mazzin/Tank connection.

Never could figure what those two have in common.

Computer games.

Tarlam!
06-15-2008, 08:16 AM

Computer games.

They're the same person.

red
06-15-2008, 09:59 AM

Computer games.

They're the same person.

yup

MJZiggy
06-15-2008, 12:08 PM
I don't think so. I used to but now I don't. I have my reasons.

3irty1
06-15-2008, 12:36 PM

it hasn't changed in like 10 years. just minor graphics improvements every year, new rosters, and maybe one "major" addition that i'll never use

I'm talking about the xbox360/ps3 versions where the graphics and engine were revamped totally when the new systems came out.