PDA

View Full Version : Woodson finds out he fits in

Brando19
06-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Two years ago, you couldn't pay cornerback Charles Woodson to show up in Green Bay during the offseason. Now, you can barely get him to leave town.

Woodson returned to Wisconsin in February to work out, long before the Packers' voluntary offseason program began. He appeared again in early March, has been a regular participant in the organized team activity practices, and plans to stick around until mid-June.

What gives? Has Woodson fallen in love with Wisconsin? He owns a condominium in Green Bay and enjoys bowling, so maybe there's something to that theory.

It's a far cry from Woodson's early Packers days. After signing a seven-year, $37.1 million free-agent contract, plus incentives, on May 1, 2006, Woodson made himself scarce. He only showed up for team functions that had the word "mandatory" attached.

"Now I've been here three years, this is where I'm going to be," Woodson said last week after an OTA practice. "So, of course it was a transition period coming here from Oakland, being in Green Bay, not knowing anything about Green Bay. Once the season is over, I was trying to get back home. Now I've been here a while, different things bring me back through Green Bay. … I'm a Packer."

There has been a sense Woodson, a Heisman Trophy winner and four-time Pro Bowl player, was a fish out of water in small-town Green Bay. He propagates that notion, but in a joking manner.

When asked why he was spending so much time here, Woodson replied tongue in cheek: "What happened was I got on a plane and I was headed south. Somehow we took a wrong turn and I ended up here. I said (to the pilot) 'Damn, what's going on?' But he said, 'We're here. We can't do anything about it. You're stuck.' So I'm here."

The Packers have been overjoyed to have Woodson, who has combined for 12 interceptions and 36 passes defensed over the past two seasons and arguably could have made the Pro Bowl either year. General Manager Ted Thompson landed a whopper in one of his rare casts into free-agent waters.

Not only has Woodson found success on the field, but he's seemingly content off it.

"I think Charles is a lot more comfortable here, and it's great to have him back here working," coach Mike McCarthy said.

McCarthy is no small reason Woodson likes it here. Rather than insisting Woodson practice through injuries, McCarthy cuts him some slack. The philosophy has kept Woodson active (30 of 32 starts) and productive.

Woodson, 31, said he feels better physically than at any time during the last five offseasons, and his positive attitude is bound to rub off on younger teammates.

"You try to be an example as much as possible," Woodson said. "And whatever they can learn from me, then that will be a plus for the team."

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080611/PKR07/806110563/1058/PKR01&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

Brando19
06-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Woodson is one of my favorite Packers. I just hope when he retires, he'll consider himself a Packer rather than a Raider.

FavreChild
06-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Well, let's get him that Super Bowl ring, and that won't be a problem. 8-)

Brando19
06-12-2008, 08:00 PM

There's a few on the team that deserves the ring...Woodson, Harris, Driver, and Clifton to name a few.

Charles Woodson
06-12-2008, 08:04 PM

There's a few on the team that deserves the ring...Woodson, Harris, Driver, and Clifton to name a few.
I would also throw in Taucsher and Kamp

Brando19
06-12-2008, 08:07 PM

Yeah...but Kamp is still young, isn't he?

Charles Woodson
06-12-2008, 08:54 PM

Yeah...but Kamp is still young, isn't he?

28 going on 29, but still i mean he deserves it

oregonpackfan
06-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Hey the Packer Hall of Fame deserves a 4th Lombardi Trophy for that matter!

Spaulding
06-13-2008, 09:56 AM
I'd add KGB to the list as well. Thankfully Sharper and his selfish ways will likely never see a ring.

ahaha
06-13-2008, 10:05 AM
TT was wideliy critisized for not getting guys like LeCharles Bently, Will Witherspoon, and Lavar Arrington in the '06 free agent class. But looking back on it, with Pickett and Woodson, TT landed the cream of the crop.

woodbuck27
06-13-2008, 10:32 AM
I'd add KGB to the list as well. Thankfully Sharper and his selfish ways will likely never see a ring.

and Aaron Kampman ''a never stay home'' Packer.

DonHutson
06-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Woodson has been truly remarkable. He came in with a reputation for being surly, lacking toughness, and for playing simply for the money.

The Charles Woodson we got instead has been dedicated, has played hurt, and is becoming a team leader.

The Leaper
06-13-2008, 11:36 AM
The lesson we learn is:

Green Bay is not Oakland...and that the city and "nightlife" really don't mean as much to NFL players as some would like to suggest. Sure, there are a handful of players where the nightlife is probably ALL they worry about, but I'd rather not have those players on my team anyway.

It's all about the success of the team and the attitude of the community toward the team.

DonHutson
06-13-2008, 11:54 AM
The lesson we learn is:

Green Bay is not Oakland...

Oh Leaper, you're going to tempt somebody to go where I don't think any of us wants to go again...

bobblehead
06-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Woodson has been truly remarkable. He came in with a reputation for being surly, lacking toughness, and for playing simply for the money.

The Charles Woodson we got instead has been dedicated, has played hurt, and is becoming a team leader.

I think at least part of this is a testament to MM and his philosophy. He has held them all accountable and basically shown that nobody is garaunteed anything. If you don't produce, or if you miss assignments because you aren't ready, you will sit or be cut.

retailguy
06-13-2008, 12:04 PM
The lesson we learn is:

Green Bay is not Oakland...

Wonder if Noah Herron agrees with you? :shock: :P :oops:

MadtownPacker
06-13-2008, 01:46 PM
The lesson we learn is:

Green Bay is not Oakland...and that the city and "nightlife" really don't mean as much to NFL players as some would like to suggest. Sure, there are a handful of players where the nightlife is probably ALL they worry about, but I'd rather not have those players on my team anyway.

It's all about the success of the team and the attitude of the community toward the team.This is exactly what it's all about.

Back when he was signed my thought where that the change of scenery might be what he needed to stay healthy and find his game. Just another example of Thompson rolling the dice and hitting a 7. He has been one lucky SOB.

Noodle
06-15-2008, 12:54 AM
I think at least part of this is a testament to MM and his philosophy. He has held them all accountable and basically shown that nobody is garaunteed anything. If you don't produce, or if you miss assignments because you aren't ready, you will sit or be cut.

I agree that MM has a lot to do with it, but I have a different view. MM plays it cool. When the vets don't show, he doesn't go in to big drama about it. He doesn't threaten. And when vets do show and they get nicked, he doesn't put them at greater risk. He acts like he's just glad to have them there.

Plus, I'd like to see a story about strength coach Rock Gullickson and how he's viewed by the vets. I predicted long ago that hiring Rock was going to be one of the most important things M3 did. I liked his work-out philosophy, and I'm curious how the vets have viewed it. These are guys who can get trained by the best -- maybe they figure Rock will get them tuned for the season as well as anybody, which is saying something.

Tarlam!
06-15-2008, 01:03 AM
IIRC, Woodson's contract is performance orientated. If he plays, practices etc he gets paid. If he sits out injured, he doesn't.

A lot of credit goes to TT for setting his deal up that way, but M3 doesn't abuse the situation by pushing him beyond what's healthy.

What I believe we are witnessing is mutual trust. M3 trusts Woodson, Woodson trusts the organization. We fans are the beneficiaries.

Guiness
06-15-2008, 08:04 PM
I don't pretend to have any insight into what has caused Woodson's resurgence in GB, but I'm pretty sure that its way beyond what anyone thought he was capable of. Any GM in the league would've offered him the money we gave him if they had an inkling he would play to the level (and show the dedication) he has.

MJZiggy
06-15-2008, 08:14 PM
But it wouldn't have worked this way for every team. Most GM's would have been fools to pay him that money because it was the wrong situation. He has M3 too and the trust that exists between them.

bobblehead
06-15-2008, 08:24 PM

I agree that MM has a lot to do with it, but I have a different view. MM plays it cool. When the vets don't show, he doesn't go in to big drama about it. He doesn't threaten. And when vets do show and they get nicked, he doesn't put them at greater risk. He acts like he's just glad to have them there.

Plus, I'd like to see a story about strength coach Rock Gullickson and how he's viewed by the vets. I predicted long ago that hiring Rock was going to be one of the most important things M3 did. I liked his work-out philosophy, and I'm curious how the vets have viewed it. These are guys who can get trained by the best -- maybe they figure Rock will get them tuned for the season as well as anybody, which is saying something.

No doubt, MM is a great diplomat while proving he is the silverback. If you want a fight, don't be a diplomat, if you want a guy who produces and you didn't have to fight with, you have to be a diplomat. It takes a HUGE ego to do it the MM way. He is like Parcells without the need to win the battle, he simply wants to get the desired result.

bobblehead
06-15-2008, 08:25 PM
The lesson we learn is:

It's all about the success of the team and the attitude of the community toward the team.This is exactly what it's all about.

Back when he was signed my thought where that the change of scenery might be what he needed to stay healthy and find his game. Just another example of Thompson rolling the dice and hitting a 7. He has been one lucky SOB.

Yep, another example of a guy who works 20 hours a day and got lucky....

packers11
06-15-2008, 08:28 PM

uhh if you remember correctly he offered the money to Lavar Arrington first... Last time I checked, woodson was his back up plan... Good thing Lavar denied the packers offer because I doubt he would have gave both Lavar and Woodson big money...

I call that lucky on T.T.s part...

MadtownPacker
06-16-2008, 08:06 AM

uhh if you remember correctly he offered the money to Lavar Arrington first... Last time I checked, woodson was his back up plan... Good thing Lavar denied the packers offer because I doubt he would have gave both Lavar and Woodson big money...

I call that lucky on T.T.s part...That's the way I see it too. I myself preferred Lavar at the time because I was familiar with Woodson's history in Oakland. Both had health risk, TT got the one that lasted.

Dont trip Bobble, Im not insulting TT at all. Nothing wrong with being lucky sometimes.

bobblehead
06-16-2008, 09:59 AM
I hear what you guys are saying, but no one knows what happens if Lavar signs...maybe MM has a similar impact on him and it works out.

All I'm saying is that the man has a "system" and it has proven effective. If he gets a little lucky along the way too, that is just a bonus. My mind works a certain way, and I don't believe in luck as a whole. However, in individual cases you can get lucky. TT put himself in a situation where being a bit lucky turned into 13-3, Sherman put himself in a situation where getting a little lucky still couldn't save his job.

But I get you, you didn't bag on TT, you were pointing out that situation, and I have to admit, there were times I wondered what would have happened if Arrington had signed with us.

This is part of why I don't get people saying he won't spend money, he actually offered arrington more than the giants did that year, if he thinks someone can fill a hole and is worth the money, he'll dust the cobwebs off the checkbook.

Pugger
06-16-2008, 10:54 AM
It's a wonder what a little success will do for you. :wink: He was stuck in Oakland and a losing organization. He heard false rumors about GB being out in no man's land where a minority fella wouldnt' fit in. I've heard other players have these aprehensions and then once they get here they find it is the perfect place to play football. 8-)

Fritz
06-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Here's a part of an article from McGinn that suggests that Arrington was not necessarily Plan A and Woodson Plan B; rather, it appears TT was working with both players (represented by the same agents) at the same time. It doesn't directly repudiate your claim that Arrington was first choice, but it suggests the situation was much more fluid than your posts above suggest:

Green and gold not in Arrington's future
Giants close to signing free-agent linebacker
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: April 21, 2006
The Green Bay Packers made a play for free-agent linebacker LaVar Arrington, but it appears it wasn't enough.

According to a National Football League source, the Packers were informed Friday that Arrington planned on signing with another team. It appears Arrington is going to land with the New York Giants, who emerged as the leader for the linebacker's services this week.

All along, Arrington made it a point to say he wanted to play in the NFC East where he would be able to play against his old team, the Washington Redskins, twice a year. Miami, Cincinnati and Jacksonville were involved earlier in the negotiations with Arrington, but the Giants had shown the most interest of late.

Negotiations between the Giants and Arrington were still going on Friday night, and barring a breakdown a deal is expected to be completed.

The Packers were hoping to lure Arrington to Green Bay with a solid contract offer and from all indications were in the running until the end. But the uncertainty of not having a decision from Brett Favre on his status for next season might have affected Arrington's decision. Arrington said after his visit to Green Bay that he wanted to know whether Favre would be coming back and hoped to speak with him.

bobblehead
06-16-2008, 01:13 PM
That article is very telling in itself. Guys like Arrington (JWalk) who are more interested in proving something to their old team than simply being the best football player they can be aren't usually worth much anyway, you will get 2 motivated games a year. The guys you want have an endless motor and show up to play their best every sunday without needing to feel disrespected to play hard.

Guiness
06-16-2008, 03:29 PM
That article is very telling in itself. Guys like Arrington (JWalk) who are more interested in proving something to their old team than simply being the best football player they can be aren't usually worth much anyway, you will get 2 motivated games a year. The guys you want have an endless motor and show up to play their best every sunday without needing to feel disrespected to play hard.

I was trying to come up with a way of saying that, and you stated about as well as I could have hoped to.

A guy making a statement like that (want to play my old team 2x a year) would turn me off if I was looking at him. It implies that there's another gear that they're saving for that game. Also reminds me of Nate Wayne and his big Monday Night efforts.

I could understand a guy saying he wanted to stay in a division because he knew the opponents (maybe a DE wants to keep facing the LT's he's had success against) or wants to go to a team with a similar system (a WR who wants to go to a WCO team) but calling out a specific team - it's so, well, Sharperish.

I hear what you guys are saying, but no one knows what happens if Lavar signs...maybe MM has a similar impact on him and it works out

Dunno if that was possible. Wasn't it his knees that pretty much gave up the ghost?

I worked with a guy that used to say "I'd rather be lucky than good" and he was often right. And it just seems TT has had a bit of it. Didn't he also want Marshawn Lynch? I seem to remember it was felt that if he was there, TT would have taken him.

With the trouble thats brewing around him and that hit and run (he was just called to testify in front of a Grand Jury) if Harrell just becomes a regular starter, or even a solid backup, we're probably better off with him!

bobblehead
06-16-2008, 06:48 PM
I thought lavar got in a motorcycle accident of something. As far as lynch goes, we can't really believe anything we here about what ted was gonna do, and drafting lynch is as out of character for TT as drafting wynn was.

packers11
06-16-2008, 06:53 PM
I thought lavar got in a motorcycle accident of something. As far as lynch goes, we can't really believe anything we here about what ted was gonna do, and drafting lynch is as out of character for TT as drafting wynn was.

We got Ryan Grant for a 6th rounder... I'm glad we didn't draft for Lynch... If JH is a average starter I would not be mad at all... Although I wish he took a more pressing need at the time (Leon Hall/Reggie Nelson)...

packers11
06-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Also... Its funny once we did get Woodson and he was playing in preseason... I think everyone wanted to kill T.T. and woodson... Boy has that changed (go look in the last couple of pages of the forums, i'm pretty sure you could bump one of the threads up) "woodson looks like shit" :lol: