PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 causes for hand wringing

Harlan Huckleby
06-06-2006, 11:34 AM
These are the three weaknesses I see going into the season:

1) Offensive line depth. Klemm can fill-in nicely at LT if Clifton goes down. I wonder if they have backups at any other position who are good enough to keep the unit from falling apart.

2) KGB. He is the hole in that D, and the pundits seem to think Montgomery isn't good enough to take a lot of snaps from him.

3) I'm not TOO worried about the WR's, they look OK. But I wonder how they will stand-up to playing a full season, getting scouted every week. Are they a below average unit? Don't know.

The Leaper
06-06-2006, 11:40 AM
I worry more about out field goal kicker than I do about our WRs. With Favre around, the WRs will be fine. We have more depth there than we have had recently IMO.

I hope Pickett can play as well as Grady...I'm not convinced just yet.

pbmax
06-06-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm worried about Manuel still not with the number ones.

McCarthy continually making statements that prove to be incorrect to the media.

Gado still not being able to read holes in a zone run blocking scheme. This carries over from college.

Rodgers starting slowly each practice and still being the king of checkdowns.

red
06-06-2006, 11:58 AM
one thing about kgb that i don't know if you guys over here had heard. it was said on another site that he has been hitting the free weights pretty hard and has put on somewhere around 15 pounds of muscle. he played at around 250 or less last year. it might have been big legend over at packerchatters that said this.

if thats the case, then there might be some hope of him holding his own this year, and not getting pushed all over the place

Harlan Huckleby
06-06-2006, 11:59 AM
McCarthy continually making statements that prove to be incorrect to the media.

McCarthy has a learning curve to go through just like new players. This is part of our rebuilding year.

HarveyWallbangers
06-06-2006, 12:34 PM
KGB isn't the biggest weakness in this defense. If we don't get ahead in games though, much of his effectiveness will be nullified.

Partial
06-06-2006, 12:38 PM
I disagree with that Harvey, but I think he can be extremely effective, even against the run, if he gets some relief time. He and Kampman played more downs on defense than I believe anyone else did. I don't remember the exact snap numbers but they were ridiculous

mngolf19
06-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Not that my hands are wringing over this mind you, but a view from the other side.

OL is not going to be better this year than last and that will cause some problems both for running and for giving Favre time.

WR Driver is going to be expected to carry team too many times I think. And the other guys are either too new or never have beens to create much of a difference.

DL can put a little pressure on QB but enough? And can they stop the run, especially with some new guys at LB.

I still think Pack is improved over last year, but issues above combined with new coaches and schemes will create lots of inconsistency.

Partial
06-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Not that my hands are wringing over this mind you, but a view from the other side.

OL is not going to be better this year than last and that will cause some problems both for running and for giving Favre time.

WR Driver is going to be expected to carry team too many times I think. And the other guys are either too new or never have beens to create much of a difference.

DL can put a little pressure on QB but enough? And can they stop the run, especially with some new guys at LB.

I still think Pack is improved over last year, but issues above combined with new coaches and schemes will create lots of inconsistency.

I think the OL will be much better. They are running a system that has displayed time and time again that you don't need a big money offensive line to succeed. I suspect by the end of the season the OL will once again be one of the strengths of the team.

Defense will definitely be able to stop the run other than KGB. They're an incredible young defense, probably the youngest in the league. These young guys are going to provide quality depth. This will be the best Packer defense since 1998. The linebackers they added are immediately a huge step up from last year.

They're gonna be a tough team, just a really young, unexperienced one. They're still a few years away I think, but they are going to surprise some people in December of this year.

Rastak
06-06-2006, 12:57 PM

I think the OL will be much better. They are running a system that has displayed time and time again that you don't need a big money offensive line to succeed. I suspect by the end of the season the OL will once again be one of the strengths of the team.

Defense will definitely be able to stop the run other than KGB. They're an incredible young defense, probably the youngest in the league. These young guys are going to provide quality depth. This will be the best Packer defense since 1998. The linebackers they added are immediately a huge step up from last year.

They're gonna be a tough team, just a really young, unexperienced one. They're still a few years away I think, but they are going to surprise some people in December of this year.

You could have very well be right partial. The NFL is a copycat league, I wonder why everyone isn't running that scheme if it's so foolproof.

Not to say it won't be effective....it has gained in popularity it seems.

Partial
06-06-2006, 01:04 PM
I believe 5 teams are running it now, with 4 joining the ranks in the past 3 off-seasons. So we will have to see how defenses evolve if it works so well.

For what its worth, I think the Packers did a solid job of shutting down the falcons running game when they played. So who knows?

Murphy37
06-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Partial, I love your optimism. But the O-line scares me. Tauscher and Clifton are the only sure things on that line. So who knows what the depth will be. The season balances on the strength of this O-line in my opinion. If they can hold their own, and be at least average, I'll feel pretty good about this team being competetive for the NFC north title. There is no reason to believe, at this time, that this O-line will be avergage or above. I will be waiting untill the week before the regular season opener to give my prediction for this season's record. I hope the preseason will give me a glimse of how well this O-line unit will perform. My guess is though, that we won't know untill awhile after that. I think they will struggle early, and gradually improve throughout the season.

RashanGary
06-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Last year Whittaker and Klemm were starting. This year, combined with Spitz, they are our main back-ups.

I can't complain about the depth when the guys who started last year are our backups this year.

RashanGary
06-06-2006, 01:10 PM
The problem is that the starters arn't much better than the backups. If I had a complaint it would be with the inexperience of the interior starting OL.

Noodle
06-06-2006, 01:11 PM
I worry most about the inexperienced and unproven coaching staff (new HC, new DC, new OC). There's stuff to like about these guys, but there's been stuff to cause you concern. And you just don't know how any of them are going to work with each other or the players once we get hit with some hard times.

I next worry about the kicking game. It was great to hear that Cundiff was kicking off well and that Powder was rocking the casbah, but the bullets aren't flying yet and it ain't cold yet. And who the heck is going to hold?

Finally, I don't know whether to worry more about the OL or the DL. I thought Grady was a big help last year, and now we're betting the house on Pickett, who just may show up to an OTA at some point if it's not too inconvenient. And like a lot of you, I'm not sold yet on the interior pieces or the scheme along the OL.

But, on the plus side, I think Favre will play much better this year, I think the WRs are going to be pretty good, I think the RBs will surprise folks, and I think the D is going to hit some people. We just have to stay healthy.

Partial
06-06-2006, 01:18 PM
I don't think they'll be a good team at the beginning of the year. The oline is going to struggle. The end of the year though, oh baby watch out. I think they'll be a top 10 team in the league by december, but that doesn't mean much for the season as a whole.

Ras - the vikes are running zone blocking now too, correct?

Murphy37
06-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Oh yeah, the rookie coaching staff. I've been so flared up about the O-line that I forgot we got a bunch of noobies running the show. Now I'm really depressed. Thanks alot.

Rastak
06-06-2006, 01:22 PM
I don't think they'll be a good team at the beginning of the year. The oline is going to struggle. The end of the year though, oh baby watch out. I think they'll be a top 10 team in the league by december, but that doesn't mean much for the season as a whole.

Ras - the vikes are running zone blocking now too, correct?

No, they have more drive blockers,,,,they are running a WCO though that will feature a power running game and a more ball control offense then they have run recently.

No zone blocking though.

Partial
06-06-2006, 01:25 PM
alright, my bad. Then 4 teams in the league are currently running the gibbs blocking scheme :oops:

LaFours
06-06-2006, 01:42 PM
1.) Colledge, Coston and Wells have a combined 4 years of professional experience (which equates more closely to a half a season when you actually look at the snaps that Wells has taken...Coston's redshirt is nothing more than a formality).

2.) So far, based on Brett's comments, he has no intentions of merely managing games and letting his defense keep him in it. He'll be firing fastballs from the 1st quarter of the Bears game on.

3.) And the starting running back is...

Murphy37
06-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Good to have ya here LaFours.
I'm not as concerned about the RB position. If the O-line sucks, it won't matter who's back there unless he's the second coming of Barry Sanders. If the O-line is decent, any of the main three running backs on our roster will do just fine.

FavreChild
06-06-2006, 03:22 PM
1) Injuries
2) Turnovers
3) Tackling

See? I could be a journalist with that amazing insight! :wink:

KYPack
06-06-2006, 03:32 PM
These are the three weaknesses I see going into the season:

1) Offensive line depth. Klemm can fill-in nicely at LT if Clifton goes down. I wonder if they have backups at any other position who are good enough to keep the unit from falling apart.

2) KGB. He is the hole in that D, and the pundits seem to think Montgomery isn't good enough to take a lot of snaps from him.

3) I'm not TOO worried about the WR's, they look OK. But I wonder how they will stand-up to playing a full season, getting scouted every week. Are they a below average unit? Don't know.

Good thread, H.

Yeah, I, too, am paranoid about a number of things:

1. I'm scared of our kicking game. Cundiff may make it. But our punters?

Will the new guy be able to get one off into the wind in the cold weather. Our last 3 games are the Lions, Vikes (in Lambeau) and the Bears on New Years eve. n We need a clutch kick with the December wind bearing down on a rookie? Oh God.

2. The RB's. We've lost depth and some other key guys are still hurt. Will we have the troops to get the job done, I really don't know. I wish with all my might that da Poop & Green make full comebacks. If they don't? look out below. I thought we'd pick up a back or two in the draft.

3. The OG's. There aren't any available vet's and we've got kids and guys that couldn't make it last year. I thought sure we'd get a vet or two to fill in til our good prospects get blooded. I'm also worried about the schemes. A modifed WC AND the Zone? That's more than a rookie can handle. A young guard learning the WCO line calls, running the zone, and learning pro pass protect? that's a load!

packrulz
06-06-2006, 03:38 PM
1.) Colledge, Coston and Wells have a combined 4 years of professional experience (which equates more closely to a half a season when you actually look at the snaps that Wells has taken...Coston's redshirt is nothing more than a formality).

2.) So far, based on Brett's comments, he has no intentions of merely managing games and letting his defense keep him in it. He'll be firing fastballs from the 1st quarter of the Bears game on.

3.) And the starting running back is...

I'd like to see Colledge/Coston/Wells all start right from the 1st preseason game, that might be asking too much but I think Taucher started as a rookie. It'll take at least a 1/2 season for them to get the hang of it but the 1st half of the schedule isn't that tough, it's the 2nd half that worries me.

LaFours
06-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Good to have ya here LaFours.
I'm not as concerned about the RB position. If the O-line sucks, it won't matter who's back there unless he's the second coming of Barry Sanders. If the O-line is decent, any of the main three running backs on our roster will do just fine.

I agree with you on that. I think the combination of question marks at both OL and RB makes for some significant hand wringing. I guess the zone blocking scheme could lessen the impact of these but only time will tell. I do think that -- if health is on our side -- our RB position stands to be an asset and not a liability, but that whole health factor is a completely different issue in and of itself.

Harlan Huckleby
06-06-2006, 04:07 PM
one thing about kgb that i don't know if you guys over here had heard. it was said on another site that he has been hitting the free weights pretty hard and has put on somewhere around 15 pounds

OK, well some cause for hope.

Deputy Nutz
06-06-2006, 04:09 PM
The offensive line is going to be a lot better this year barring injury.

Tauscher and Clifton return at the tackles, experience makes them better than they were last year.

Colledge is penciled in at left guard, but he is still better than Whitticker who started at right guard last year. A rookie for a rookie, but Colledge is a much better fit for this offensive line.

Klemm didn't work at offensive guard, but he is a decent back up. Coston is young, and everyone knew that he would need a year to pick up the NFL game. Coston has way more upside than Klemm. Klemm was so bad that he was benched for the last 6 games of the year.

Having Wells or even Spitz at center will offer more consistency than an injured Mike Flanigan, Grey Rugemer, and Scott Wells all rotating in and out. Wells may not be able to make all the reads right away, but who ever is starting there is going to stay, and improve with each game. I think Scott Wells is the answer, he is in his third year, and he should be a custom to the speed of the NFL, and most schemes that NFL defenses run.

Klemm and Whitticker are going to be your back ups at tackle, and Whitticker should be thrilled about making this team.

Spitz is going to be a helpful back up, and hopefully they have him ready to fill in at both guard positions, and center.

I am less concerned about the line this year than I was last year at this time. It does suck to lose Barry for the year, but in reality he was a back up at tackle that just could cowboy up and lose that 50lbs. In time, Whitticker can play as well as Barry.

Murphy37
06-06-2006, 04:12 PM
one thing about kgb that i don't know if you guys over here had heard. it was said on another site that he has been hitting the free weights pretty hard and has put on somewhere around 15 pounds

OK, well some cause for hope.

Someone posted that around here not too long ago. I like KGB, and like many, was dissapointed in him last year. He seems to be a stand up guy to have in the locker room, and in life in general, and you cheer for a guy like that to succeed. I hope this years added muscle and new coaching staff maximizes KGB's ability as a pass rusher, and split's time with Montgomery to solidify that position.

MJZiggy
06-06-2006, 04:14 PM
I refuse to wring hands until they get some pads on and I get a look at how they're working together. M3's done a lot of stuff I like and I want to see what they can get done.

BlueBrewer
06-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Samkon Gado

Murphy37
06-06-2006, 04:22 PM
The offensive line is going to be a lot better this year barring injury.

Tauscher and Clifton return at the tackles, experience makes them better than they were last year.

Colledge is penciled in at left guard, but he is still better than Whitticker who started at right guard last year. A rookie for a rookie, but Colledge is a much better fit for this offensive line.

Klemm didn't work at offensive guard, but he is a decent back up. Coston is young, and everyone knew that he would need a year to pick up the NFL game. Coston has way more upside than Klemm. Klemm was so bad that he was benched for the last 6 games of the year.

Having Wells or even Spitz at center will offer more consistency than an injured Mike Flanigan, Grey Rugemer, and Scott Wells all rotating in and out. Wells may not be able to make all the reads right away, but who ever is starting there is going to stay, and improve with each game. I think Scott Wells is the answer, he is in his third year, and he should be a custom to the speed of the NFL, and most schemes that NFL defenses run.

Klemm and Whitticker are going to be your back ups at tackle, and Whitticker should be thrilled about making this team.

Spitz is going to be a helpful back up, and hopefully they have him ready to fill in at both guard positions, and center.

I am less concerned about the line this year than I was last year at this time. It does suck to lose Barry for the year, but in reality he was a back up at tackle that just could cowboy up and lose that 50lbs. In time, Whitticker can play as well as Barry.

Ok Nutz, lets say your right and they are an upgrade over last years unit. That isn't saying much. I can agree that they may be better than the 05 line, but how much better is the key. They will need to be a lot better. I'm glad your not as concerned though. Every glimmer of hope helps me sleep better at night. That and thinking about that time when me and your wife.......well nevermind.

woodbuck27
06-06-2006, 06:03 PM
My attitude is handwringing, what for?

I see alot to be hopeful for, in this re-building year. More now than I did before Favre committed, and the draft.

That was a pretty decent draft for TT from the standpoint of establishing some depth on OUR team at three positions where we had huge need.

OL/LBer/WR

On the OL:

The draft gave us the depth we needed on the OL.

T/G Daryn Colledge and G/C Jason Spitz will fit right in. I especially believe that Colledge will be the starter at LG with Spitz available to back-up both Guard and the Center positions.

Tough for us to loose Kevin Barry for the Season (it seems) but we are OK and G William Whitticker as a result of that, may be very lucky and make OUR 53-man.

Our OL will look (something) like this, barring nomore injuries:

LT Chad Clifton backed up by T/G Adrian Klemm.
LG will be Daryn Colledge
Center will be Scott Wells backed up by Chris White
RG will be G Junius Costos backed up by G William Whitticker
RT will be T Mark Tauscher (Adrian Klemm)

note: All three middle positions backed up by Jason Spitz.

We need the services of one more solid player. TT needs to try to find this experienced man, to shore up OUR OL , as we certainly lack experience with what we presently have in the middle.That's 'a BIG TIME' on that one.

At LBer:

AJ Hawk will give us an immediate starter on 'the Will' and Abdul Hodge will be a capable back-up for all three positions. I think that Ben Taylor will be the man to grab 'the Sam' position and that's because he's been there working the outside of the field in the Browns 3-4 system. For now we'll retain Nick Barnett in the middle. Roy Manning and Brady Poppinga will also back-up these four. That leaves Kurt Campbell and the rest as underdogs.

At WR:

The draft gave us three players in WR Greg Jennings , WR/KR Cory Rodgers and CB/WR/KR Will Blackmon. With these three we find a starter at WR and ample help to handle OUR BIG needs for returning Kick off's and punts. Let's hope that Rodgers 'little problem' goes away, and he lands a spot for OUR ST needs and as a deep threat at WR. I see G. Jennings being OUR #4 WR and W. Blackmon at least, lands on OUR PS.

We are stronger all over the "D", than last season and most players know the Bates/Saunders Defensive System. Saunders seems to be handling his duties v.well. Additions . . . CB C.Woodson, DT Ryan Pickett (if he gets on track )and S Marquand Manuel are going to help Our "D". S Nick Collins will be a second year player and Hawk will really assist Nick Barnett at LBer.

We have Green and Davenport coming off serious injuries, but we have that man Gado as well. and I understand Noah Herron is looking good. Bubba is in there pitching when we needed him to be in there last season.

Favre is back and he'll be ready of course, and his leadership and status will really help.

Absolutely . . . noooo . . . handwringing. We are re-building, and if we get 8 wins I will be estatic.

Harlan Huckleby
06-06-2006, 06:13 PM
At WR: The draft gave us three players in WR Greg Jennings , WR/KR Cory Rodgers and CB/WR/KR Will Blackmon. With these three we find a starter at WR and ample help to handle OUR Big needs for returning Kick off's and punts.

Here's the deal with the WRs: they got a whole bunch of guys that look like they might be able to play pro ball. But when the guys from #2 to #6 are of similar ability, it makes you wonder how good they will be against top competition.
It is way, way early. Perhaps the cream will rise.

woodbuck27
06-06-2006, 06:59 PM
At WR: The draft gave us three players in WR Greg Jennings , WR/KR Cory Rodgers and CB/WR/KR Will Blackmon. With these three we find a starter at WR and ample help to handle OUR Big needs for returning Kick off's and punts.

Here's the deal with the WRs: they got a whole bunch of guys that look like they might be able to play pro ball. But when the guys from #2 to #6 are of similar ability, it makes you wonder how good they will be against top competition.
It is way, way early. Perhaps the cream will rise.

Really what I see from that draft for WR's, is possibly a #4 WR in Greg Jennings and amongst the three, Jennings,C. Rodgers and W. Blackmon, the depth to handle the KO's and punt returns, HH.

I'm certainly not 'all jacked up' over this trio as dominant forces in 2006, but see them as good candidates as role players. In fact, likely the most we can hope for for CB/WR Will Blackmon is a PS assignment.

red
06-06-2006, 07:07 PM
its sad that people don't consider a guy to be anygood because they come from a mid major and they have never seen them play

jennings has played against big ten and Acc teams, and did very well against them even though those teams doubled and triple teamed him knowing he was the only weapon.

the guy has a sh'tload of talent and ability, maybe more then any other WR on the team, and theres no reason at this point to say he'll only be as good as a #4 wr

woodbuck27
06-06-2006, 07:36 PM
its sad that people don't consider a guy to be anygood because they come from a mid major and they have never seen them play

jennings has played against big ten and Acc teams, and did very well against them even though those teams doubled and triple teamed him knowing he was the only weapon.

the guy has a sh'tload of talent and ability, maybe more then any other WR on the team, and theres no reason at this point to say he'll only be as good as a #4 wr

red - besides QB one of if not the toughest positions to play in the NFL is WR.

It sounds to me that among Donald Driver, Robert Ferguson ,Rod Gardner and Marc Boerigter you'd toss in Greg Jennings and feel strongly that Jennings would be the go to guy.

I hope that your right - red.

I never said that Jennings 'only has hope' of landing the #3 WR or #4 WR spot. He's in an open competition with all the vet WR's to secure a roster spot, and he won't just practise to impress as a #3 or #4 WR. He'll shoot to be the #1 WR I would expect, and with all OUR blessings.

I have read elsewhere that Greg Jennings is so gifted /polished/NFL ready that he could very well line up as a starting WR on OUR team.

Man, I am pulling for that.

the_idle_threat
06-07-2006, 12:18 AM
With regard to offensive line, look on the bright side: We have Tausher and Clifton, who are excellent tackles ... for a different blocking scheme. We assume that they are both fleet enough to run the zone-blocking scheme, even though they both veterans with a history of knee injuries.

Fritz
06-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Well, after a 4-12 season you could make a mighty long list, but I'll say that the offensive line is the biggest worry. I think they'll be really good - next year. But this year, they're very, very inexperienced in the middle of that line.

I'm hoping for a pleasant surprise from Jon Ryan, the Canadian Cannonball. And besides, can it be much worse than BJ "Third Round" Sander?

Harlan Huckleby
06-07-2006, 01:07 PM

Oh, Jennings looks good. It just is so uncommon for WR's to do well as rookies. I think there are a lot of tricks to getting open, subtle ways to deceive the DBs that players pick up.