PDA

View Full Version : Vikings' burning question: Should we buy into the hype?

woodbuck27
06-13-2008, 09:35 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=422659

Vikings' burning question: Should we buy into the hype?

By: Vinnie Iyer

Posted: June 12, 2008

The Minnesota Vikings are the most buzz-worthy team entering the 2008 NFL season. After showcasing one of the game's most exciting players, running back Adrian Peterson, last season, the team made another big splash this offseason by trading for All-Pro defensive end Jared Allen, the game's top pass rusher.

Summing up the 2007 Vikings, who went 8-8, is pretty easy. They were awesome at running the ball and stopping the run, ranking No. 1 in the league in both statistical categories based on the strength of their elite interior linemen.

When it came to an airborne approaches, the story was completely different. The Vikings ranked last in pass defense (264.1 yards allowed per game), and only four teams had a worse passing offense.

See LINK for rest of story.

mngolf19
06-13-2008, 12:41 PM
I agree with what he said. Would expect some level of improvement from Jackson and some level of improvement on pass defense with everything else staying the same.

DonHutson
06-13-2008, 01:26 PM
All I can say is that when you buy hype it's always wise to keep your receipt.

Lurker64
06-13-2008, 04:05 PM
I would not be at all surprised to see the Vikings make the playoffs this year. They nearly made the playoffs last year, and either of the two wild cards from last year could easily miss the playoffs (even though one of them won the whole thing.) Still, I think expectations should be more along the lines of "The Vikings will make the playoffs" and less along the lines of "the Vikings are the clear favorite to win the division" or "the Vikings are Superbowl bound."

They have things going for them (their defense and running game are good enough to beat almost anybody) and they have things go against them (their coach and QB are questionable enough to lose to almost anybody.) They're one of the best examples of how preseason prognostication is pretty useless. They could finish anywhere between 4-12 and 12-4, in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised to see either outcome, it's going to come down to injuries, how certain questions are answered, who steps up/chokes, and how hot the teams they play are, just like every team in every season.

ahaha
06-13-2008, 10:02 PM
I wonder how good their defense would be if they lost one of their tackles for the season. Maybe Pat Williams will have age and injuries catch up with him. They've had a great run defense for a while now. Maybe it's time for a down turn in their prowess.

SMACKTALKIE
06-14-2008, 12:43 AM
I wonder how good their defense would be if they lost one of their tackles for the season. Maybe Pat Williams will have age and injuries catch up with him. They've had a great run defense for a while now. Maybe it's time for a down turn in their prowess.

Pat Williams....Terrible.
Kevin Williams....Devistating.

Completely different line without either of them but K Williams is the best athelete of the two and the best pass rusher of the two. P Williams frees up the LB's to hit the carrier.

Rastak
06-14-2008, 06:05 AM

It wouldn't kill them, but it would be a loss for sure. They have a project guy and a big goon they can throw in there to clog things up for EJ Henderson. I know Green Bay was very fortunate last year with injuries, everybody has some but you want to keep your core guys healthy. Maybe it's time for that to change using your logic? :wink:

Anyway, they badly needed to improve in at least three areas, probably four. They seemed to address three of them in some fashion.

The fourth is 2nd year starter Jackson at QB. I'm not as big Jackson guy because they threw him straight from Alabama State into a late year starting role as a rookie. That's crazy. Last year he started 12 games. This year he should see improvment.

His teammates and outside commentators watching have indicated he's way ahead of last year at this time. He actually looked good at times during the stretch run last year, ecspecially the last game of the year. Will he be better? I can't see why he wouldn't be. He needs to be average to keep defenses honest because average quarterbacks torch 8-9 in the box. They need to force teams to play them honest or it's 8-8 again.