PDA

View Full Version : Harry Sydney on the Running Backs

motife
06-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Sydney Speaks! Odd man out
Can Noah Herron bounce back and make the team?
By Harry Sydney
mybrotherskeeperinc@hotmail.com
Posted Jun 13, 2008

Ryan Grant is the main man in the Green Bay Packers' backfield, but who will back him up? Packer Report's Harry Sydney offers his opinion on the running backs contending for roster spots on this year's team.

With this being the calm before the storm, the coaches are trying to figure out their depth and who will give them the best opportunity to win. Not only that, but they have to look at who can they count on.
As I look at the running back situation, I believe assistant coach Edgar Bennett will have his hands full for many different reasons. I have all the faith in the world that Edgar will get it done and get the best out of everyone he has, but the question remains how good is their best? Let’s look at the running backs and I will give you my assessment of each one of them:

Ryan Grant - a very hard runner who does an excellent job of planting his foot and going north and south. He showed a very good feel of the game and did an excellent job adding different elements to his game as he showed an ability to use the cutback as an added weapon. For the most part of the season, Grant ran like he was a man possessed or a man trying to get paid. As I see it, he is the only running back that has a spot on this team and everyone else is fighting to find a place.

Brandon Jackson - has impressed everyone with his new weight gain, especially with the fact that all of it seems to be in the right place. Unfortunately, that weight he thinks will give him confidence and that’s not how it works, especially at running back. It might work with offensive linemen that know they need to get stronger, but as a running back either you have it or you don’t. You can’t fake it or manufacture it. Confidence comes from studying and being smarter and putting yourself in the best situation to be successful. Until that happens, he will just be another guy who gained weight in the offseason.

Vernand Morency - this is a guy that I believe has the quickness to really help the Packers, especially in third-down situations. Of all the backs, he seems to have the skills to make people miss. He should be an excellent screen-and-draw runner, which was missing and has been missing from the Packers offense since Tony Fisher was released.

Unfortunately, Morency seems to keep getting hurt just when the coaching staff tries to find a spot for him. He doesn’t take advantage of the opportunities when he gets them. The other thing that I like about Vernand is his ability in pass protection. He does that very well because he uses excellent leverage and technique and strikes defenders instead of waiting for them, which is something, you can’t teach.

Noah Herron - is another third-down back that, like Vernand, is very smart and understands the game. The problem is that he brings nothing special to the game that makes him any different than any of the other players battling for a roster spot in this position. I don’t think he has the speed Jackson or Morency has nor do I believe he has the ability to make anyone miss, so as I look at it he brings nothing to the table that says, Keep me, keep me!

DeShawn Wynn - he is the guy that probably is the most intriguing because he has the size of a big man, but the feet and vision of a smaller, open field runner. When he was healthy last season, we all saw him run with power. At the same time he showed excellent vision, but it was the thing that we couldn’t see that was the problem and that was the question of toughness. It just seemed to surround him and unfortunately he seemed to spend more time in the training room than on the football field.

Corey White - was another guy that had the opportunity in training camp last year, but didn’t really take advantage of it so he just became a memory.

As you can see, the Packers have some guys that all bring something different to the table and they all will be fighting to see who will back up Ryan Grant. That’s why Edgar Bennett will have his hands full because they all will have to pick up their game. The running game will be so crucial if the Packers plan to be successful this season.

At the fullback situation they have all they need because John Kuhn and Korey Hall do exactly what Packers need them to do, which is tie linebackers up and play very good on special teams.

3irty1
06-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Nice to see someone put something positive about Vernand Morency. Two years ago he had a good year and last year at this time he seemed like the best option for success. It would be great if he could find a way to bounce back.

RashanGary
06-13-2008, 05:55 PM
I've been a big Wynn backer. It's nice to finially hear some positive remarks - from Harry *critical as hell about RB's* Sydney none the less.

rbaloha1
06-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Extremely interesting and insightful comments from a knowledgeable expert.

HS is unexcited about Brandon Jackson. IMO Brandon eventually challenges RG. The guy has quickness and power. Yes, pass blocking must improve but that is teachable.

The third rb is most competitive. I liked VM when he first arrived in gb-- played fast and was reliable. In juries seemed to have slowed VM. DW showed much promise and most likely wins the #3 slot.

Whoever the Packers lineup shall be successful. The o-line will be significantly improved allowing MM to call more screens and draws which ultimately opens up the running lanes.

Lets have faith EB develops the rbs to the best of their potential.

oregonpackfan
06-13-2008, 09:59 PM
I've been a big Wynn backer. It's nice to finially hear some positive remarks - from Harry *critical as hell about RB's* Sydney none the less.

Wynn really caught my interest for his shifty feet for a big runner. He came to camp out of shape last year and his work ethic was questionable.

If he can maintain a better fitness level and be more committed to the game, he might surprise some people.

ahaha
06-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Injury issues aside, Wynn does have a burst. But, he goes down after the first hit. How do you teach a player not to do that?

packrat
06-14-2008, 10:40 PM
From what I've read, Wynn still hasn't figured out that he has to give his all to make the team. Sure is a shame because if he had the work ethic and drive, he might be the best of the lot. But, there sure are a lot of guys who are out of football because they never figured out that they needed to give their best.

bobblehead
06-14-2008, 11:12 PM
From what I've read, Wynn still hasn't figured out that he has to give his all to make the team. Sure is a shame because if he had the work ethic and drive, he might be the best of the lot. But, there sure are a lot of guys who are out of football because they never figured out that they needed to give their best.

I honestly believe he doesn't make it through 2 preseason games. Only if our RB situation is much uglier than it appears now does he even have a chance based on what MM and TT look for in a player, I'm not even sure why we drafted him...it was totally out of character for TT, must have owed someone a favor.

Tarlam!
06-15-2008, 01:11 AM

Wynn really caught my interest for his shifty feet for a big runner. He came to camp out of shape last year and his work ethic was questionable.

If he can maintain a better fitness level and be more committed to the game, he might surprise some people.

He was the positive surprise at that Packer Rats Game last year. Suddenly, we had a running game.

We still lost, but Wynn played very well.

Fritz
06-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Injury issues aside, Wynn does have a burst. But, he goes down after the first hit. How do you teach a player not to do that?

It seems Wynn attended the Bubba Franks school of YAC. Lesson number one: when someone hits you, go down like a pheasant hit from ten yardswith buckshot.