PDA

View Full Version : Tim Russert - Dead at 58

Kiwon
06-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Tim Russert dies suddenly of a heart attack.

I watch the "Meet The Press" program regularly over the Internet and I saw Sunday's show. Five days later he is dead. It's a good reminder that death can happen to any one us without warning. That's why faith, family, and friends are so important.

Neither he, nor his network, were my favorites, but that doesn't really matter now, does it?

falco
06-13-2008, 05:57 PM

I watch the "Meet The Press" program regularly over the Internet and I saw Sunday's show. Five days later he is dead. It's a good reminder that death can happen to any one us without warning. That's why faith, family, and friends are so important.

Neither he, nor his network, were my favorites, but that doesn't really matter now, does it?

thats why you had to mention it, right? :roll:

Joemailman
06-13-2008, 06:24 PM
I don't know if Russert is replaceable. He was the toughest interviewer without being unfair. It was interesting watching him on the MSNBC primary coverage this past year. Olbermann. Buchanan and Matthews would be pontificating about something, and he would be the adult in the room. Hard to imagine who will replace him.

Deputy Nutz
06-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Didn't you already see Tex's thread. His has more passion

packinpatland
06-13-2008, 06:25 PM
I don't know if Russert is replaceable. He was the toughest interviewer without being unfair. It was interesting watching him on the MSNBC primary coverage this past year. Olbermann. Buchanan and Matthews would be pontificating about something, and he would be the adult in the room. Hard to imagine who will replace him.

Well said.

Kiwon
06-13-2008, 06:50 PM

Always hateful, aren't you?

I don't have to agree with someone all the time to be able to respect him and appreciate his work.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-13-2008, 06:54 PM

I don't have to agree with someone all the time to be able to respect him and appreciate his work.

No. By your statement, it appears you are. Why even mention it...if it isn't important as you say.

When you eulogize someone, you don't bring those things up....nor is there any reason to inject your personal feelings about him or the network.

I thought your main paragraph was great (of course, i don't see the need for faith).

Harlan Huckleby
06-13-2008, 07:03 PM
He was the toughest interviewer without being unfair. It was interesting watching him on the MSNBC primary coverage this past year.

I have to strongly disagree. He had a major Obama boner. I am not surprised you found him so unbiased and engaging. :)

While it's true that he furled his brow identically and brought the same intense eyes when he went into his full-press personality, the questions he asked of people he preferred were relatively softball.

That said, very few interviewers are clearly better. George Stephanopolis is the best. Jim Lehrer doesn't follow-up, but he asks good questions. Bill O'Reilly often does a good interview, unless he loses his temper. Wallace on Fox News Sunday is excellent. Tavis Smiley is a fawning fellow, but he gets people to talk.

I liked Russert OK.

bobblehead
06-13-2008, 07:14 PM
I actually enjoyed russert, I didn't agree with his politics, but I liked his demeaner and style.

packinpatland
06-13-2008, 08:20 PM
Russert, who received 48 honorary doctorates, won countless other awards for excellence during his career, including the Edward R. Murrow Award from the Radio-Television News Directors Association, the John Peter Zenger Freedom of the Press Award, the American Legion Journalism Award, the Veterans of Foreign Wars News Media Award, the Congressional Medal of Honor Society Journalism Award, the Allen H. Neuharth Award for Excellence in Journalism, the David Brinkley Award for Excellence in Communication and the Catholic Academy for Communication’s Gabriel Award.

He was a member of the Broadcasting & Cable Hall of Fame and a member of the board of directors of the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y.

He was a trustee of the Freedom Forum’s Newseum and a member of the board of directors of the Greater Washington Boys and Girls Club and America’s Promise — Alliance for Youth.

In 1995, the National Father’s Day Committee named him “Father of the Year,” Parents magazine honored him as “Dream Dad” in 1998, and in 2001 the National Fatherhood Initiative also recognized him as Father of the Year.

oregonpackfan
06-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Russert, who received 48 honorary doctorates, won countless other awards for excellence during his career, including the Edward R. Murrow Award from the Radio-Television News Directors Association, the John Peter Zenger Freedom of the Press Award, the American Legion Journalism Award, the Veterans of Foreign Wars News Media Award, the Congressional Medal of Honor Society Journalism Award, the Allen H. Neuharth Award for Excellence in Journalism, the David Brinkley Award for Excellence in Communication and the Catholic Academy for Communication’s Gabriel Award.

He was a member of the Broadcasting & Cable Hall of Fame and a member of the board of directors of the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y.

He was a trustee of the Freedom Forum’s Newseum and a member of the board of directors of the Greater Washington Boys and Girls Club and America’s Promise — Alliance for Youth.

In 1995, the National Father’s Day Committee named him “Father of the Year,” Parents magazine honored him as “Dream Dad” in 1998, and in 2001 the National Fatherhood Initiative also recognized him as Father of the Year.

Thanks for researching this information, PIP. Russert was not only a fine broadcaster, he was a fine man.

MJZiggy
06-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Sudden urge to go to the Newseum.

Joemailman
06-13-2008, 10:59 PM
He was the toughest interviewer without being unfair. It was interesting watching him on the MSNBC primary coverage this past year.

I have to strongly disagree. He had a major Obama boner. I am not surprised you found him so unbiased and engaging. :)

While it's true that he furled his brow identically and brought the same intense eyes when he went into his full-press personality, the questions he asked of people he preferred were relatively softball.

That said, very few interviewers are clearly better. George Stephanopolis is the best. Jim Lehrer doesn't follow-up, but he asks good questions. Bill O'Reilly often does a good interview, unless he loses his temper. Wallace on Fox News Sunday is excellent. Tavis Smiley is a fawning fellow, but he gets people to talk.

I liked Russert OK.

I was referring to Russert's complete body of work, not this campaign season. I actually haven't watched MTP much this campaign season because I've been watching the news a lot during the week. What made Russert a tough interviewer was his preparation. If a guest gave an answer that contradicted a previous statement or vote, Russert would nail him/her on it.

Kiwon
06-14-2008, 12:26 AM

No. By your statement, it appears you are. Why even mention it...if it isn't important as you say.
When you eulogize someone, you don't bring those things up....nor is there any reason to inject your personal feelings about him or the network.

I thought your main paragraph was great (of course, i don't see the need for faith).

Answer: Because I didn't like the tone of the other thread covering this topic.

The man just died. It's time to remember his contributions and think about our own mortality, not to make a statement about media bias.

oregonpackfan
06-14-2008, 01:10 AM
NBC Dateline had an excellent tribute to him tonight. It dealt with everything about his professional, family, and personal life.

Russert was also a die-hard Buffalo Bills fan. I have often felt that Bills' fans have a loyal devotion to their team almost as strong as Packer fans.

HarveyWallbangers
06-14-2008, 02:06 AM

Get over yourself on this one. It was a nice tribute. He didn't go Paul Wellstone on the bit. He's the first one, righty or lefty, that made a tribute thread, and you get high and mighty on him.

FavreChild
06-14-2008, 07:32 AM
He didn't go Paul Wellstone on the bit.

Why, was there something inappropriate about the Paul Wellstone tribute?

:lol:

cpk1994
06-14-2008, 09:21 AM
He didn't go Paul Wellstone on the bit.

Why, was there something inappropriate about the Paul Wellstone tribute?

:lol:A.K.A. Walter Mondale Political Rally? :)

Tim was the only personality on NBC that I could tolerate beucase he didn't spew the far left propaganda like many other of his colleagues do. He was a tough but fair interviewer. An immense loss.

red
06-14-2008, 11:41 AM
i didn't see anything wrong with kiwons first post

i thought it was just fine

oregonpackfan
06-14-2008, 12:21 PM
i didn't see anything wrong with kiwons first post

i thought it was just fine

I agree.

MJZiggy
06-14-2008, 04:06 PM
There's plenty enough to fight about in the other one. What if we left this one to respect the man rather than fight each other?

Tyrone Bigguns
06-14-2008, 05:26 PM

Get over yourself on this one. It was a nice tribute. He didn't go Paul Wellstone on the bit. He's the first one, righty or lefty, that made a tribute thread, and you get high and mighty on him.

High and mighty. LOL

Perhaps you should look in the mirror. Or perhaps ask why he called someone "hateful."

Tribute...when you make a tribute you don't talk about what you disliked about the person.

"a gift, testimonial, compliment, or the like, given as due or in acknowledgment of gratitude or esteem."

What part of his network nor him were my favorite is part of the tribute.

Try reading..i complimented him on most of it...just explained why someone (falco) had a problem with his post.