PDA

View Full Version : Do you take Vitamins?

GrnBay007
06-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Do we have a Vitaminologist in the crowd?

What's good and how much... what's not necessary?

bobblehead
06-14-2008, 06:05 PM
I take 3 grams of fish oil daily, I drink a protein shake with the profile of a one a day in it, I take melatonin at night, not cuz I can't sleep, but because if you research it, you can't deny its benefits.

Sorry, didn't read all of your post, I would say that 1.5 grams of fish oil per 100lbs of body weight are very key, 1-3mg of melatonin at bed are very good as well. Also, I would pimp minimum of 1-2 liters of quality water a day per 100lbs of body weight.

red
06-14-2008, 06:11 PM
is beer a vitamin?

GrnBay007
06-14-2008, 06:14 PM
I use flaxseed almost daily (same benefit as your fish oil, I think?). Use a coffee grinder to grind it up and sprinkle it on cereal. I've never heard anything negative about it....only positive things, but I've never come across any consistent info on how much to use daily. I grind up 2 tsp.

GrnBay007
06-14-2008, 06:15 PM
is beer a vitamin?

:lol:

Kiwon
06-14-2008, 06:20 PM
I read the thread title and was wondering if you worked for Amway. :)

Multi-Vitamin, C, E - 2x a day

(I used to take many more back in my athletic days)

bobblehead
06-14-2008, 06:24 PM
I use flaxseed almost daily (same benefit as your fish oil, I think?). Use a coffee grinder to grind it up and sprinkle it on cereal. I've never heard anything negative about it....only positive things, but I've never come across any consistent info on how much to use daily. I grind up 2 tsp.

Flaxseed is similar to fish oil, but fish oil is slightly better, both have benefits. You can get quality fish oil relatively cheap at sam's club. Also drinking soy milk is a good substitute for regular milk, but in wisconsin you might get some evil stares at the grocery store.

red
06-14-2008, 06:27 PM
are one a days worth taking?

GrnBay007
06-14-2008, 06:28 PM

Flaxseed is similar to fish oil, but fish oil is slightly better, both have benefits. You can get quality fish oil relatively cheap at sam's club. Also drinking soy milk is a good substitute for regular milk, but in wisconsin you might get some evil stares at the grocery store.

I read recently that soy supplements have become controversial because there are some "experts" that believe it can increase the risk of breast cancer

bobblehead
06-14-2008, 06:28 PM

If you have a shitty diet yes, if you eat lots of fruits and vegetables, probably not.

GrnBay007
06-14-2008, 06:29 PM

...kinda why I made this thread. Was hoping we'd have some expert in the crowd.

red
06-14-2008, 06:30 PM

I read recently that soy supplements have become controversial because there are some "experts" that believe it can increase the risk of breast cancer

i think just about anything you can eat, drink, take, smoke, breath, look at, think about, or drive "may cause cancer", according to some experts

red
06-14-2008, 06:31 PM

If you have a shitty diet yes, if you eat lots of fruits and vegetables, probably not.

i barely touch the stuff thats "good for you", so one a days would probably help me

MJZiggy
06-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks for reminding me. I take 2 gummyvites a day (they're already here, ok?) Calcium chews when I remember And I may start taking glucosamine for a cranky knee.

I believe the concern with soy is that it acts as an estrogen enhancer and it's not that it will GIVE you cancer as much as that if you happen to get an estrogen-dependent form of the disease it will accelerate the growth.

bobblehead
06-14-2008, 06:38 PM
I'm not an expert, but I have done my share of research on the topic. I read all the BS as well as the useful reports and studies.

I can tell you with cetainty that in 10 years most people over 40 will be taking 1 IU of HgH daily and that will do more to lower healthcare prices than any "preventive care" could possibly accomplish.

I can tell you that your exact vitamin profile can only be truly found thru bloodwork, as what might be important for me might be useless to you.

But I stand by fish oil, melatonin, and enough water for anyone and everyone, and eating healthy natural foods is more important than any vitamin you can possibly get.

When people ask me about weightloss I always tell them the same thing. Don't eat anything that isn't in its first form. That means no processed crap like flour, baked goods, sauces, butter/mayo. Eat fish, chicken, pork, lean red meat, vegetables, fruits, water and milk. You can lightly boil,steam, fry or bake any of those (fry with extra virgin olive oil). Don't put anything in your mouth that nature didn't put in that form...chips, soda, bread ect. If you need something like that, no trans fats, and ONLY whole grains.

If you do that you won't ever really need a vitamin and you will feel better and be healthier than me thats for sure.

GrnBay007
06-14-2008, 06:48 PM
(fry with extra virgin olive oil).

EVOO!! lol I first started watching the Food Network when I was off work for 6 weeks. They kept talking about EVOO and it took awhile to figure out what the heck they were talking about. The oil of champs!! :P

Iron Mike
06-14-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm gonna go with the New International Version of The Bible on this one:

Ecclesiastes 8:15 So I commend the enjoyment of life, because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God has given him under the sun.

Iron Mike
06-14-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm gonna go with the New International Version of The Bible on this one:

Ecclesiastes 8:15 So I commend the enjoyment of life, because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God has given him under the sun.

BTW, I interpret that as pizzaburger and Rising Moon rather than a multivitamin. :oops:

MJZiggy
06-14-2008, 08:05 PM
It's ok, Mike. I've heard that vitamins from pills don't absorb as well as vitamins from food. Wait. Are there any vitamins in that stuff?

Iron Mike
06-14-2008, 09:37 PM
It's ok, Mike. I've heard that vitamins from pills don't absorb as well as vitamins from food. Wait. Are there any vitamins in that stuff?

There's wheat and lime.....I'm guessing I'm pretty safe from getting scurvy or rickets anytime soon.

http://justbeer.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/blue-moon-rising-moon-web-s.gif

oregonpackfan
06-15-2008, 01:08 AM
Well, this 'ol guy daily takes:

--multivitamin tablet

--81 mg coated aspirin

--two fish oil tablets

--glucosamine

My "healthy" diet is low on red meat, fish twice a week, salads.

My "junk" food consists of chips twice a week, and ice cream twice a week. Maybe once a week I will eat a Hershey Bar. My "junk" beverage is Diet Pepsi.

MJZiggy
06-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Did the glucosamine make a noticeable difference? I only take stuff if it really makes a difference.

Tarlam!
06-15-2008, 08:15 AM
I take ethanol. Daily and usually by the gallon. Hell, I haven't had a cold or flew problem since.

And when I finally get to the top of the waiting list for a new liver, I'm gonna be set!

3irty1
06-15-2008, 08:17 AM
Well I made a bet with a Vikings fan where the fan of the MNF opener team that wins gets to pee on the other fan's shoes while they are wearing them. Why am I talking about this in a vitamin thread? Because I also discovered if you take excessive vitamin B it turns you pee green so I have plan to unleash the first ever "Green and Golden shower."

oregonpackfan
06-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Because I also discovered if you take excessive vitamin B it turns you pee green so I have plan to unleash the first ever "Green and Golden shower."

Did taking excessive amounts of vitamin B inspire Dr. Seuss to write Green Eggs and Ham? :)

oregonpackfan
06-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Did the glucosamine make a noticeable difference? I only take stuff if it really makes a difference.

To be honest, MJZiggy, I have not seen a noticeable difference. When I told my doctor about my using glucosamine he just said, "It won't hurt you."

To keep those expenses down, I buy my glucosamine at Costco.

MJZiggy
06-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Because I also discovered if you take excessive vitamin B it turns you pee green so I have plan to unleash the first ever "Green and Golden shower."

Did taking excessive amounts of vitamin B inspire Dr. Seuss to write Green Eggs and Ham? :)

I think there was another substance involved in that inspiration....

Partial
06-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Well I made a bet with a Vikings fan where the fan of the MNF opener team that wins gets to pee on the other fan's shoes while they are wearing them. Why am I talking about this in a vitamin thread? Because I also discovered if you take excessive vitamin B it turns you pee green so I have plan to unleash the first ever "Green and Golden shower."

Good times.

3irty1
06-15-2008, 12:33 PM

Good times.

Hopefully I do the peeing this time.