PDA

View Full Version : No Joke

Tarlam!
06-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Most of you know, I'm an alcoholic. I drink a bottle of scotch a day. For breakfast.

I'm outing myself because I think it's necessary. I know I need to cure myself. Tomorrow, I'm heading for a clinic. If today was not Sunday, I'd be there today. Germany is funny that way. So, no, "tomorrow" is not an excuse.

I don't care if you don't like me. Pray for me anyway. I need you. I have one poster who knows he is my hero. He did this 2 years ago. I won't name him, he knows who he is through PMs.

I figure, if I don't cure this now, I won't live till the Rats' Gathering in October.

It's half past four. I am so drunk I can't even walk.

Please pray for me. Bye for now.

BallHawk
06-15-2008, 10:05 AM
We'll all be thinking of you, Tar. Best of luck.

texaspackerbacker
06-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Let me make an exception to my usual uncaring attitude to give your post a presumption of authenticity and to state that I care for you and will pray for you.

There's a lot to be happy about in this world. Focus on that, and maybe the alcohol won't be so necessary. And get some local help, since quitting something like that is not likely to be done alone.

Freak Out
06-15-2008, 11:09 AM
I hope to see you sober in October.

GBRulz
06-15-2008, 11:11 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you, my friend.

Harlan Huckleby
06-15-2008, 11:21 AM
Tarlem,

I wish you the best, we all have our demons to conquer.

Tarlam!
06-15-2008, 11:22 AM
I have gotten some really neat PMs over this that I obviously won't mention by name.

Thank you. I can't make any promisies. I'll be away awhile and when I'm back, I so damned hope I'll be sober.

Thank you. You know who you are. Thank you.

MJZiggy
06-15-2008, 11:43 AM
I know I told you privately, but I want to say in public how proud I am of you. Yes talk to our friend, he will help you as will I. I'm always here for you, Sweet.

oregonpackfan
06-15-2008, 11:47 AM
You show a lot of guts by admitting your addiction on PR, Tarlam. I truly wish you the best.

As a PR poster who chummed around with you and shared a car ride with you last PR gathering, I know that basically you are a good person. The American Medical Association describes alcoholism as a disease. Please pursue your intentions to get treatment.

I trust you will find life more enriching sober than drunk. For that matter, you will probably find the Packer games more interesting sober than drunk.

Hang in there, Aussie Man!

red
06-15-2008, 12:12 PM
good luck tarlam

3irty1
06-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Good luck man.

Bretsky
06-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Takes a great man and a lot of courage to put this on the forum Tarlem; you are a great guy and will conquer this. My thoughts and prayers are with you

B

GrnBay007
06-15-2008, 12:41 PM
One day at a time Tarlam.

Take care. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

oregonpackfan
06-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Tarlam,

I just learned a few minutes ago that the estranged wife of one of my friends passed away this week. Besides her husband, she left behind a gifted, 13 year old daughter who won a statewide writing contest this spring.

This woman had been in in and out of treatment a couple of times for alchohol/drug addiction. She left her daughter and husband several years ago to pursue her addictions.

About 10 days ago, police found her passed out in downtown Portland. She was taken to to Portland's Good Samaritan Hospital where she was declared brain dead. The past week she has been in a local hospice center. She finally passed away a few days ago.

Alcoholism is a progressive, potentially fatal, disease. We here at PR want you to stay with us. Please get yourself to treatment.

Tarlam!
06-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks to all. I am gonna need you guys. Two years ago, one of us decided to do this, albeit silently. That Rat only confided in Ziggy and me that I know of. That Rat made it. I wanna be like that Rat.

I've told that Rat as much.

That Rat is so much stronger than I am, though. I will need you guys, I'm sure. Even you, Sheep-Dip.

Tarlam!
06-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Tarlam,

Please get yourself to treatment.

Sober in October, OPF. I'm on it.

LL2
06-15-2008, 01:44 PM
That Rat is so much stronger than I am, though. I will need you guys, I'm sure. Even you, Sheep-Dip.

Tarlam your going to become stronger every day. You've already become stronger today by tell faithful rats on this site that you are going to get help and become better, and your a better man because of it. You can do this and as one mentioned above seek out a circle of influence to be accountable to to help you stay sober.

sheepshead
06-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Most of you know, I'm an alcoholic. I drink a bottle of scotch a day. For breakfast.

I'm outing myself because I think it's necessary. I know I need to cure myself. Tomorrow, I'm heading for a clinic. If today was not Sunday, I'd be there today. Germany is funny that way. So, no, "tomorrow" is not an excuse.

I don't care if you don't like me. Pray for me anyway. I need you. I have one poster who knows he is my hero. He did this 2 years ago. I won't name him, he knows who he is through PMs.

I figure, if I don't cure this now, I won't live till the Rats' Gathering in October.

It's half past four. I am so drunk I can't even walk.

Please pray for me. Bye for now.

This is the first step and a long, long journey. I, for one, am pulling for you and anyone else that takes that important first step. God Speed.

Tarlam!
06-15-2008, 03:02 PM
This is the first step and a long, long journey. I, for one, am pulling for you and anyone else that takes that important first step. God Speed.

I'm taking your advice, Dip. I'm getting a life. :D Thanks for being on my side. You Fuck! 8-)

sheepshead
06-15-2008, 04:03 PM

I'm taking your advice, Dip. I'm getting a life. :D Thanks for being on my side. You Fuck! 8-)

Charming as usual. Hope you find what you are seeking.

Tarlam!
06-15-2008, 04:15 PM

Charming as usual. Hope you find what you are seeking.

Hey Dip, I was was kidding around with you. I said thank you. I even have Smilies. What didn't you understand?

bobblehead
06-15-2008, 06:04 PM
he understood, he is just surly (if i spelled it right)

retailguy
06-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Thoughts are with you Tarlam!. Just do it, don't think about it.

Email anytime.

RashanGary
06-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Congrats on the first step, Tarlam. You'll make it.

RashanGary
06-15-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm sure your therapists and doctors will be great, but it seems like people often forget physical health when they treat other forms of health. I can only truely speak or myself, but I feel like exercise, good sleep and healthy eating habits really effect mood and a overall postive feeling in life.

Also, I'm very concerned for people taking mind altering medication to treat mental illness. It seems to me that the quick pill fix is almost always temporary. It seems to me it turns into a vicious downward spiral that is worse than before and seemingly irreversable because of the brain changing drugs. PPeople who change their physical, spiritual and thinking patterns through recognition and dedication to their overall health seem to have real lasting success. I really just hope the best for you. These things are so inexact, but I really worry about people who take these drugs for a quick fix. I've just seen a couple really bad results with people close to me. They always say "well, they had this before there was just nothing we could do" but I really don't believe things would spiral if they didn't start chemically mesing with their patients brains.

This is a FACT. They do not know the ultimate lasting effects the pills will have on your brain. They can easily chalk any negative end result on the original mental illness so the cycle can seemingly go on forever without ever really knowing what the effects are from these pills.

This is just one opinion. If the alternative is jumping off a bridge or taking a pill, please everyone, my opinions are only my own. Do what you feel is best for yourself (obviously).

Scott Campbell
06-15-2008, 08:31 PM
I lost one of my best friends to this a couple years ago, and I found out how little I know about what you're up against. May God grant you a dose of Vince's discipline.

Freak Out
06-15-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm sure your therapists and doctors will be great, but it seems like people often forget physical health when they treat other forms of health. I can only truely speak or myself, but I feel like exercise, good sleep and healthy eating habits really effect mood and a overall postive feeling in life.

Also, I'm very concerned for people taking mind altering medication to treat mental illness. It seems to me that the quick pill fix is almost always temporary. It seems to me it turns into a vicious downward spiral that is worse than before and seemingly irreversable because of the brain changing drugs. PPeople who change their physical, spiritual and thinking patterns through recognition and dedication to their overall health seem to have real lasting success. I really just hope the best for you. These things are so inexact, but I really worry about people who take these drugs for a quick fix. I've just seen a couple really bad results with people close to me. They always say "well, they had this before there was just nothing we could do" but I really don't believe things would spiral if they didn't start chemically mesing with their patients brains.

This is a FACT. They do not know the ultimate lasting effects the pills will have on your brain. They can easily chalk any negative end result on the original mental illness so the cycle can seemingly go on forever without ever really knowing what the effects are from these pills.

This is just one opinion. If the alternative is jumping off a bridge or taking a pill, please everyone, my opinions are only my own. Do what you feel is best for yourself (obviously).

:?:

Do they prescribe pills for alcoholism now?

Tarlam if you want to stop you will. Thats the bottom line. It's not going to be easy but if you want to live a lot longer and have a quality life, love your family and (New?) wife you can do it.

Zool
06-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Tarlam if you want to stop you will. Thats the bottom line.

Truer words you can't place on this sort of thing. If you yourself think you have a problem, thats step 1.

All the best ya Aussie kraut.

swede
06-15-2008, 10:05 PM
You've been one of my favorite posters since back in the JSO days, Tar.

You've already taken the hardest step.

I know you can do this, Aussie.

I'll be sending thoughts and prayers your way.

swede

Iron Mike
06-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Do they prescribe pills for alcoholism now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antabuse

the_idle_threat
06-15-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm agnostic, Tar, but I'll say a prayer for you anyway, just in case. :idea: Best of luck to you, and I hope to see you posting here again when you can.

Deputy Nutz
06-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Tarlam, good for you. Drinking is bad. I am sending Skinbasket to Germany to go through rehab with you.

You are probably off to the Clinic to get cured of the Wild Turkey now, but best of luck. Now learn to lay off women and you will be alright.

Deputy Nutz
06-16-2008, 08:52 AM
When you get out of the clinic, can you have your woman send me the rest of your scotch

Scott Campbell
06-16-2008, 09:08 AM
I applaud T for this. He didn't have to go public and subject himself to potential taunts in other threads from a forum adversary or two. There may be other Rats struggling that can draw something from what he is going through.

Oscar
06-16-2008, 09:19 AM
It takes a lot of strength to give up the booze. Accepting that there is a problem is just one of many steps ahead. I know first hand. I haven't had a drink in nearly two years. I also know that its gonna be a battle the rest of my life to stay sober. One beer and I'm right back where I started. Stay strong Tarlam. I have faith in ya and I think you'll make it.

Tarlam!
06-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi all,

they sent me home. I broke. I paid a housekeeper too much money for a small bottle of brandy.

The urine test was of course what it had to be.

I broke.

I have no excuse. I am really sorry.

Tarlam!
06-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Just so as you know, I weas in hospital for "de-poisoning"

That is supposed to take one week to 10 days.

Therapy was scheduled for 4 weeks from now. FOUR WEEKS!!!.

What was I supposed to do for 4 weeks??

Zool
06-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Exercise
Read
Sleep
Work
Go to an AA meeting or 50
Read up about alcoholism on the internet
Go to 50 more AA meetings
Get a sponsor at AA
Call your sponsor to go out for coffee

Harlan Huckleby
06-20-2008, 01:29 PM
i got worse problems than tarlam. but nobody cares about me. :cry:

Zool
06-20-2008, 01:30 PM

QFT

bobblehead
06-20-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm sad that you broke tarlam. Wish I had words of wisdom or inspiration, but in the end you're going to have to find them yourselves.

Harlan Huckleby
06-20-2008, 01:33 PM
:lol: that's pretty damn good, zool. and extra funny because you actually do despise me.

LL2
06-20-2008, 01:35 PM

Skinbasket cares about you. He just has an odd way of showing it.

Harlan Huckleby
06-20-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm sad that you broke tarlam. Wish I had words of wisdom or inspiration, but in the end you're going to have to find them yourselves.

ah fuck, it takes many tries before you succeed at something like this. not a big deal, there will be another wagon coming along.

Harlan Huckleby
06-20-2008, 01:36 PM

Skinbasket cares about you. He just has an odd way of showing it.

:D i know he does!

Zool
06-20-2008, 01:37 PM
:lol: that's pretty damn good, zool. and extra funny because you actually do despise me.

Meh...that would indicate that I cared at one time. I nothing you.

sheepshead
06-20-2008, 01:50 PM

well said my packer brother.

Scott Campbell
06-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi all,

they sent me home. I broke. I paid a housekeeper too much money for a small bottle of brandy.

I broke.

“It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.”

Vince

LL2
06-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Hi all,

I broke.

To quote the legendary Vince Lombardi. We should have Mad send Tarlam a classic Vince Lombardi portrait and book out of the PR general fund. Something to inspire him.

“It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.”

Vince

Scott Campbell
06-20-2008, 02:26 PM

Hey, I care. And I'm sure others do too.

Is there anything at all I can do to help make your problems even worse?

Scott Campbell
06-20-2008, 02:27 PM
I broke.

There's no failure unless you quit trying.

Deputy Nutz
06-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Hi all,

I broke.

You are right you have no excuses. I could sit here and post a bunch of inspirational bullshit to you, and tell you it is tough and to give it another try, but lets face it, you are a grown man that knows he has a serious affliction. You choose to run from that affliction. I seriously hope for your health, and for the sake of your family and children you go back and plead wiith them to let you back into the program.

How tough are you? Can you get back up? Can you keep moving forward?

Oscar
06-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Be a new day tomorrow Tarlam..Stay strong brother.

BallHawk
06-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Nutz said it best. You've got a battle to fight and you've gotta fight it or face the consequences. I sincerely hope you beat this, Tar, but you only get so many chances.

GoPackGo
06-20-2008, 03:14 PM
isn't alcohol abuse a coverup for a different problem? Is something bothering you Tarlam? If so, go see a psychologist who will help you figure things out. best of luck

Oscar
06-20-2008, 03:19 PM
I remember trying to cover up the fact that I had a drinking problem. :lol: :wink:

PackFan#1
06-20-2008, 03:48 PM
When I was a freshman in college, I once drunk myself an ocean and passed out. I woke up in a puddle of shit and felt like shit for a week. Thankfully I didn't die.

I haven't drunk an ocean since. But I am not an alcoholic and no one in my family carries the alcoholic gene, except for my great great great great great great Irish father in law.

IMO, what Tarlam should do is take a vacation in Amsterdam. Marijuana is legalized there and there a chemical found in marijuana that makes you puke every time you have a drink. When the high of marijuana is mixed with the high of alcohol, the high of marijuana always win. In other words, marijuana is a medical rebellion for alcoholism.

Whatever you decide to do, Tarlam, I wish you the best. You can do it! :)

http://www.myspaceantics.com/images/funny/you-can-do-it.jpg

Scott Campbell
06-20-2008, 03:51 PM
I woke up in a puddle of shit and felt like shit for a week. Thankfully I didn't die.

Tease.

GoPackGo
06-20-2008, 04:07 PM
there a chemical found in marijuana that makes you puke every time you have a drink. When the high of marijuana is mixed with the high of alcohol, the high of marijuana always win. In other words, marijuana is a medical rebellion for alcoholism.

That's completely untrue. Haven't smoked and drank much have you?

PackFan#1
06-20-2008, 04:15 PM

It is completely true. You need to read the Nobel Prize winning book "Marijuana is a Medical Rebellion for Alcoholism" by Dr. John C. Holmes, MD, Ph.D.

When I smoke weed I don't want to drank because, in the battle between the high of weed and the high of booze, sacrifices must be made. Despite the fact that weed always win, you lose a little bit of the high each time.

SkinBasket
06-20-2008, 04:17 PM
When I was a freshman in college, I once drunk myself an ocean and passed out. I woke up in a puddle of shit and felt like shit for a week. Thankfully I didn't die.

I haven't drunk an ocean since. But I am not an alcoholic and no one in my family carries the alcoholic gene, except for my great great great great great great Irish father in law.

Good for you. Fuck yourself and die.

Marijuana is legalized in Amsterdam and there a chemical found in marijuana that makes you puke every time you have a drink. When the high of marijuana is mixed with the high of alcohol, the high of marijuana always win. In other words, marijuana is a medical rebellion for alcoholism.

And I heard sucking horse cock causes massive stupidity and a constant need to garner attention. IMO, you should stop smoking equine neckbones.

GoPackGo
06-20-2008, 04:17 PM

It is completely true. You need to read the Nobel Prize winning book "Marijuana is a Medical Rebellion for Alcoholism" by Dr. John C. Holmes, MD, Ph.D.

than you should read my book. "Drink and smoke weed every weekend for ten years straight without puking" by GoPackGo

PackFan#1
06-20-2008, 04:20 PM
than you should read my book. "Drink and smoke weed every weekend for ten years straight without puking" by GoPackGo

You don't have a MD and Ph.D like Dr. John Holmes, so your work is meaningless.

GoPackGo
06-20-2008, 04:22 PM

You don't have a MD and Ph.D like Dr. John Holmes, so your work is meaningless.

I have a PHD in drinking and smoking weed, my work means everything in this case

PackFan#1
06-20-2008, 04:26 PM
I have a PHD in drinking and smoking weed, my work means everything in this case

You're lying. No hardcore university gives out Phd for "drinking and smoking weed." Dr. John Holmes is a psychiatrist with not only an MD but also a Phd.

SkinBasket
06-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Anyway, if this was easy Tarlam!, there wouldn't be any alcoholics. Maybe you gotta come to hate yourself more for giving in than you do for being addicted. I don't know. What the fuck do I know? I still negotiate with my weaknesses.

Freak Out
06-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Exercise
Read
Sleep
Work
Go to an AA meeting or 50
Read up about alcoholism on the internet
Go to 50 more AA meetings
Get a sponsor at AA
Call your sponsor to go out for coffee

You forgot cranking oneself. I suggest thrice daily at a minimum.

Zool is spot on with the meetings and shit. The ONLY way I could stop smoking was by talking to anyone who would listen and telling them how fucking bad I wanted a smoke.

MJZiggy
06-20-2008, 05:40 PM
Look Sweet, you know your women love you and we love you even more sober, now get your ass back into rehab before I have to come over there...

Tarlam!
06-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Look Sweet, you know your women love you and we love you even more sober, now get your ass back into rehab before I have to come over there...

Ta, Ziggy. ("Ta" = thank you for toddlers in Australia. We will will teach them the polite form, which is "Ta Ta", and then allow the familiar form "Ta" when they are about 4)

She told me you guys skyped. She is at her Dad's place and as pissed/disappointed as the Rats.

I have a problem. I admit it.

She says she'll see me through it. She doesen't deserve this crap. Neither do my kids. I just so hate myself.

MJZiggy
06-20-2008, 06:21 PM
So it didn't work on the first shot. Do it again.

MJZiggy
06-20-2008, 06:22 PM
So it didn't work on the first shot. Do it again. (just like this post)

oregonpackfan
06-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Just so as you know, I weas in hospital for "de-poisoning"

That is supposed to take one week to 10 days.

Therapy was scheduled for 4 weeks from now. FOUR WEEKS!!!.

What was I supposed to do for 4 weeks??

Simple. Turn your whole life around.

That is a simple answer but a tough road to follow. Please, Tarlam, get back on the road to sobriety.

mraynrand
06-20-2008, 06:35 PM

You're lying. No hardcore university gives out Phd for "drinking and smoking weed." Dr. John Holmes is a psychiatrist with not only an MD but also a Phd.

THAT'S THE ANSWER!!! John Holmes, MD, Ph.D. That guy is pure genius and he's board certified in addictionology. The Packerrats should take up a collection to bring in the specialist.

But seriously, Tarlam, if you're really in the hole, give it up to a higher power and get help. Good luck man.

Partial
06-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Its a myth that any good thing comes easily. It will be so gratifying when you kick the habit. Get back on that horse.

Iron Mike
06-21-2008, 01:32 PM

THAT'S THE ANSWER!!! John Holmes, MD, Ph.D. That guy is pure genius and he's board certified in addictionology. The Packerrats should take up a collection to bring in the specialist.

I thought that John Holmes was dead.

http://api.ning.com/files/V0EnpUkUMSU92V9FFOgAO0vttC3PNSrWuW-9Z4dESxw_/John_Holmes_arrested.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
06-21-2008, 02:02 PM

I echo this. I just read this thread. I have some alcoholics that are close to me. Some have beaten the disease (up to this point; it's a never-ending battle). Some have not. But don't EVER give up hope--because it can be done. And never think you have it beat, and think I can have one drink. That never works. The people that have beaten had to hit rock bottom and then go cold turkey. I look forward to sharing an Iced Tea (and not a Long Island Iced Tea) with you in October.

Iron Mike
06-21-2008, 02:34 PM
I just so hate myself.

Just don't get to the point where you figure the world would be better off without you, please. :(

mraynrand
06-21-2008, 02:52 PM

I thought that John Holmes was dead.

http://api.ning.com/files/V0EnpUkUMSU92V9FFOgAO0vttC3PNSrWuW-9Z4dESxw_/John_Holmes_arrested.jpg

Perhaps you have the wrong John Holmes. I speak of the John Holmes that used to provide counceling on the JS Packer blog. He was a thoughtful, caring physician.

http://www.trutv.com/graphics/photos/notorious_murders/celebrity/john_holmes/John-Holmes-in-court200.jpg

Iron Mike
06-21-2008, 04:43 PM
I could be wrong:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/findagrave/photos/2001/243/22347_999330903.jpg

PackFan#1
06-21-2008, 05:27 PM
cold turkey.

http://www.londonstimes.us/toons/cartoons/richdiesslin_cold_turkey.gif

bobblehead
06-23-2008, 12:04 AM

That is very sweet sentiment, but like I told you tarlam, this has to be done for you and you only, not for ziggy, your wife, your kids or anyone else...be selfish on this one.

If you love your family then be selfish and do what will be necessary to keep them, quit, cuz eventually they will leave....but if you love drinking more then you will drink, it is a selfish decision, but you gotta make it.

cpk1994
06-27-2008, 12:36 PM

I echo this. I just read this thread. I have some alcoholics that are close to me. Some have beaten the disease (up to this point; it's a never-ending battle). Some have not. But don't EVER give up hope--because it can be done. And never think you have it beat, and think I can have one drink. That never works. The people that have beaten had to hit rock bottom and then go cold turkey. I look forward to sharing an Iced Tea (and not a Long Island Iced Tea) with you in October.I am similar to Harvey in that I have had a couple of relations die of the disease, a cousin and an aunt, while have others sho have beaten the disease so far. The fact that you admit you have a problem is a huge step. The road to recovery is a long and never ending one. It is also not perfect. You must keep on trying to beat your addiction. What ever it takes.