PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Records Never Be Broken: Brett Favre's Consecutive G

packers11
06-15-2008, 12:34 PM
The No. 3 all-time record that will likely never be broken is Green Bay Packers' quarterback Brett Favre's streak of 256 consecutive starts at quarterback.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8074cd6a

Bretsky
06-15-2008, 12:39 PM
When Manning took games off at end of the season did that kill his streak ?

He was well on his way and the guy hardly ever gets hit

Lurker64
06-15-2008, 12:51 PM

It did not, he played a series or two in those games and was thus recorded as the starter.

Manning's streak is active at 160 consecutive starts, 93 behind Favre. Manning will need to put together about six more seasons without missing a game (or retiring) to eclipse Favre here.

I honestly wouldn't be too upset if Manning breaks the games started streak, since if he does it's largely because Manning never gets touched, and not because he's as tough as Favre. It would be a testament to Manning's intelligence more than his grit.

packinpatland
06-15-2008, 01:10 PM
"It did not, he played a series of two in those games and was thus recorded as the starter. "

I think this the reason it will bother me if he does break Favre's record.....I don't remember any games where Brett went in just for the sake of keeping the record intact...........could be wrong, but I just don't recall any.

cpk1994
06-15-2008, 01:15 PM
"It did not, he played a series of two in those games and was thus recorded as the starter. "

I think this the reason it will bother me if he does break Favre's record.....I don't remember any games where Brett went in just for the sake of keeping the record intact...........could be wrong, but I just don't recall any.

Was taken out after 1 quarter against the Bears in the last game of 2004.
Wsa taken out after a half against the Bills in 1997.

So, for clarification, Favre has had games like the ones posted about Manning. That was just off the top of my head. Porbably all he had though.

bobblehead
06-15-2008, 01:48 PM
I don't want that weenie breaking favres record. Favre played hurt, fought through a broken thumb, threw up blood in the huddle, Manning hardly gets hit.

Nothing against manning, but as hard as I can be on Favre, this record is one he alone deserves.

GrnBay007
06-15-2008, 01:51 PM
I don't want that weenie breaking favres record. Favre played hurt, fought through a broken thumb, threw up blood in the huddle, Manning hardly gets hit.

Amen Brother!!! :tup:

Farley Face
06-15-2008, 02:56 PM

Nothing against manning, but as hard as I can be on Favre, this record is one he alone deserves.

I have no alligence to the Colts or more specifically their signal caller, but let's get real. No "weenie" will ever hold this record. To suggest otherwise, whether it be Favre or Manning, is an insult to the game of football. It is a brutal game and any consecutive game streak of this magnitude should be respected. I hope Favre continues to hold it, but if Manning were to break it, it will be no less miraculous and I will pay him his just due.

oregonpackfan
06-15-2008, 03:49 PM
In the video listed above, former Packers QB coach Steve Mariucci points out that with a broken thumb, Favre still took continuous snaps from center during the game and practices. When the center does the snap, the ball is slammed against the palm and thumb of the right hand.

Years ago, I broke my thumb playing baseball. It hurt a lot. After having it set by an orthopedic surgeon, it was in a hard cast for 5-6 weeks. I couldn't sleep the first night after the thumb fracture.

Remembering that personal experience of mine gives me an added appreciation of Favre's toughness.

bobblehead
06-15-2008, 05:38 PM

I have no alligence to the Colts or more specifically their signal caller, but let's get real. No "weenie" will ever hold this record. To suggest otherwise, whether it be Favre or Manning, is an insult to the game of football. It is a brutal game and any consecutive game streak of this magnitude should be respected. I hope Favre continues to hold it, but if Manning were to break it, it will be no less miraculous and I will pay him his just due.

No disrespect to manning, I call him a weenie compared to favre and this IS a packer site. This particular record epitomizes what favre is all about and I just hope it stands for a long time. If manning tosses a few clot cookies on the 10 yard line then calls the play while frank winters kicks dirt over it so the ref doesn't see it I'll give him the same dues i give Favre.

Guiness
06-15-2008, 07:59 PM

So, for clarification, Favre has had games like the ones posted about Manning. That was just off the top of my head. Porbably all he had though.

For the record, I think Manning is a pretty tough guy himself. I don't know that he's at Favre's level, and maybe he doesn't get hit as much, but come on, he's an NFL QB. To say he doesn't take a pounding is just being puerile.

I don't recall those games off the top of my head - was Favre hurt? Why was Manning pulled? I don't recall him being banged up to the point of needing to come out

cpk1994
06-15-2008, 08:12 PM

For the record, I think Manning is a pretty tough guy himself. I don't know that he's at Favre's level, and maybe he doesn't get hit as much, but come on, he's an NFL QB. To say he doesn't take a pounding is just being puerile.

I don't recall those games off the top of my head - was Favre hurt? Why was Manning pulled? I don't recall him being banged up to the point of needing to come outThey were both puilled to avoid injury before playoffs.

Freak Out
06-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Whoever breaks old #4s record for starts is going to be one tough mother or have the best line ever.

Charles Woodson
06-15-2008, 08:38 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8074cd6a

They rated Don hutsons 1942 season, the 3rd best season ever.

b bulldog
06-15-2008, 08:42 PM
As Brett himself would most likely admit, playing QB in the NFL is a very demanding job and you take one hell of a beating. Records are meant to be broken but this record I hope he holds for quite a while. The rest of them will be broken cause today's NFL, the last 6 or 7 seven years actually, are really set up for the offense and the passing game in general.

Scott Campbell
06-16-2008, 08:51 AM

It did not, he played a series or two in those games and was thus recorded as the starter.

Manning's streak is active at 160 consecutive starts, 93 behind Favre. Manning will need to put together about six more seasons without missing a game (or retiring) to eclipse Favre here.

I honestly wouldn't be too upset if Manning breaks the games started streak, since if he does it's largely because Manning never gets touched, and not because he's as tough as Favre. It would be a testament to Manning's intelligence more than his grit.

I remember watching Manning playing with his face all bloodied. He's tough enough. He didn't get to 160 by being soft.

Merlin
06-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Whoever breaks old #4s record for starts is going to be one tough mother or have the best line ever.

Unfortunately, Manning has had a very good OL for most of his career. The times they did suck, he paid for it, just no serious injuries yet. Favre had serious injuries that would have sidelined most other QB's. Somehow, I don't see Manning playing with a broken thumb for instance.

Guiness
06-18-2008, 12:54 PM
The top 10 section of the nfl video site is pretty well done. I liked the 'top 10 one shot wonders'.

For anyone that's wondering, the other Top 10 records never to be broken, according to nfl.com are

#1 Don Shula - 347 wins
#2 Johnny Unitas TD pass in 47 consecutive games
#3 Favre consecutive games
#4 Bucs 26 game losing streak
#5 Don Hutson leads league in TD's 8 times
#6 49ers 18 game road winning streak
#7 Tom Landry coaches team for 29 consecutive seasons (Shula did 33...was there a break in there somewhere?)
#8 1972 Dolphins (You know what happened there!)
#9 Otto Graham and Cleveland go to 10 consecutive championship games
#10 7 sacks one game

The Leaper
06-18-2008, 01:32 PM
#7 Tom Landry coaches team for 29 consecutive seasons (Shula did 33...was there a break in there somewhere?)

Shula coached both the Colts and the Dolphins. I'm assuming the 29 consecutive years pertain to ONE team.