PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo advice sought

oregonpackfan
06-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Yes, I am seeking tattoo advice--not for me but advice on how to handle a request from my 20 year old daughter wanting a tattoo.

Yesterday, she approached my wife and I stating she wanted a cross-shaped tattoo about 3" X 2" placed on the inside of her ankle. The approximate cost would be $100.

Believe it or not, I did maintain a fair level of composure. :shock:

I asked her if this tattoo is a "need" or a "want." Does she need this tattoo at this stage of her life? She is currently halfway through her 4 year college education.

We also talked about financial priorities. Most of the money for her college tuition comes from a generous academic scholarship. We pay the rest and she contributes to her living expenses. To her credit, she works full time during the summer and part-time during the school year.

We also talked about some employers who still may not hire prospective employees wearing tattoos. That did not carry much validity with her as she cited examples of many young women sporting tattoos these days.

During the last years of my elementary school teaching career, I was amazed at the number of young female teachers and student teachers who had tattoos. Some were hidden on their lower backs or their shoulders while others were obvious. Even the "hidden" tattooss became visible because in elementary school teaching, one is frequently bending over, reaching up, etc.

The conversation ended with my encouraging her to finish college first, deal with her immediate financial priorities, and then consider the tattoo option.

Do any of you have advice? Madtown, I don't want to hear any wild stories from you about tattoos you have hidden on your...well... we don't need to go there. :oops:

Zool
06-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Tattoos are very common now amongst all walks of life. Its really no big deal anymore. I will say that my current place of employment as well as my previous have a fairly standard policy of no visible tattoos while at work.

Just make her understand that its permanent. Ask her if she likes the same things now that she liked 5 or 10 years ago and associate that with this.

Partial
06-16-2008, 10:54 AM
tell her to go for the hip. Can't be seen at work.

Freak Out
06-16-2008, 11:14 AM
I would advise her to wait until her final year of undergraduate work.....she may have converted to satanism by then and the cross would be a mistake. :satan:

GoPackGo
06-16-2008, 11:20 AM
I have 7 large tattoos: : :wink:

imo
the most important thing she can do is be very picky about the artist. Tell her to shop around until she finds an artist whose work jumps out at her as a higher quality than the others she's seen. In the end she will be more happy with the tattoo and it will most likely look better longer.

MadtownPacker
06-16-2008, 11:31 AM
This one is easy. Tell her to go get a damn sharpie and draw the cross on her ankle, tracing it every few days for a month. Make sure she looks at it everyday. Then when the time is up ask her to think how she would feel if it never came off.

GoPackGo
06-16-2008, 11:34 AM
This one is easy. Tell her to go get a damn sharpie and draw the cross on her ankle, tracing it every few days for a month. Make sure she looks at it everyday. Then when the time is up ask her to think how she would feel if it never came off.

You mean like the eyebrows mexican women draw on themselves after they pluck their unibrows?

Tyrone Bigguns
06-16-2008, 11:36 AM
OPF,

I think i'm a bit like you...on this one. However, i've come to realize that it really isn't a big deal. When adults are working the floor at Nordstroms in Scottsdale selling to upper white class customers with NOSE RINGS...a small tattoo on the ankle is nothing.

In one respect, i think you should actually applaud your daughter..she wants a tattoo, but has chosen one of the most traditional, femine areas to get one..the ankle. Be proud that some of what you have tried to instill has worked......she hasn't overcome it..is trying to work on her own individuality within the framework you've helped create. Pretty easy to not be seen. Considered by most to be unoffensive, etc. Small tattoo...easy to get rid of if she wants to in the future. And, she wants one of a cross.

Much better than tramp stamp, on the boob, forearm, hips, etc.

The neck isn't bad either...as if she wears her hair down can't be seen...but, of course, formal affairs when she wears it up it will be of course noticed.

It is times like this that you prolly wish you had raised her as a jew..which forbids tattoos if you want to be buried in a jewish cemetary...thus, with her family/husband, etc.

You might consider converting if you are really troubled by the tat. :wink:

LL2
06-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Tell her to get the cross an equal distance between the V and the navel, that way it will be a chastity reminder. Telling that to a father may not be the best idea.

Personally I have thought about getting tatoos, but never have. To me I have never seen one or any symbol or image that I liked enough to have it on me the rest of my life. Now that I'm in my late 30's I could care less. Give her Mad's advise.

GoPackGo
06-16-2008, 11:44 AM
^^^^^^^^
Mad's advice makes no sense because he compares drawing the tattoo on yourself with a sharpie with a tattoo inked by a pro

You can't compare the two

SkinBasket
06-16-2008, 12:05 PM
I've spent months finalizing the actual tattoos, then when I think its as good as it'll get, I put it away for at least three months. If it still seems like a good idea when I come back to it, then I'll usually procrastinate another 3-6 months. If it's still what I want then, I'll go get it done. Feeling there's some rush to get one done is a telltale mark that it shouldn't be done.

If she decides to do it, make sure she does her research. Even the good parlors have new, sucky, or artists who lack confidence. If she has to wait another month to get the one with the best portfolio, then that's what you do.

But whatever. She's probably already got two or three and just figured she'd ask about the one you'll see. :wink:

Scott Campbell
06-16-2008, 12:06 PM
^^^^^^^^
Mad's advice makes no sense.............

And this is surprising because..............?

Scott Campbell
06-16-2008, 12:08 PM
If she's asking at 20 years old, you probably have little to worry about. Sounds like a nice kid.

Zool
06-16-2008, 12:14 PM
She's probably already got two or three and just figured she'd ask about the one you'll see. :wink:

How is it you always say what I'm thinking?

3irty1
06-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Is she single?

red
06-16-2008, 04:50 PM
tell her that i think ankle tats look tackie

sorry to any female rats that might have them there, but i hate them on the ankle

MJZiggy
06-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Do I need to post the pictures I took of my father's tattoos so she can see how glamorous they look after 60 years? I don't know that she'll like what she sees. Also have her look into tattoo removal services and wonder why they're so popular...and expensive.

GoPackGo
06-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Do I need to post the pictures I took of my father's tattoos so she can see how glamorous they look after 60 years? I don't know that she'll like what she sees. Also have her look into tattoo removal services and wonder why they're so popular...and expensive.

I think its safe to assume that the tat's your dad got 60 years ago were done with inferior equipment and ink.

MJZiggy
06-16-2008, 05:42 PM
I knew you were going to say something like that. Sadly, I've seen much more recent ones that are fading in what appears to be a hauntingly familiar pattern...

GoPackGo
06-16-2008, 05:46 PM
I knew you were going to say something like that. Sadly, I've seen much more recent ones that are fading in what appears to be a hauntingly familiar pattern...

In my first post on this thread, I stressed the importance of getting the best artist you can find to do your tattoos. There are alot of hack tattoo artists out there.
As I mentioned I have large tattoos. Some of them are going on ten years and they still look good. Tattoos will fade(fact of life) Quality tattoos will age well

MJZiggy
06-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Tattoos fade, fact of life, and OPF Jr. should know what that looks like. Some age well, some don't but how's a 20-year-old kid supposed to know the difference?

GoPackGo
06-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Thats why the tattoo experience is all about getting the best artist you can find. They know what they are doing so you don't have to.

twoseven
06-16-2008, 06:14 PM
It's a personal decision. I got nine different tattoos between age 18-26. Very recently (the last ten weeks) I have had seven different tribal pieces worked and attached to become one solid piece that covers a large portion of my upper body (basically both shoulders and upper arms, entire chest and entire upper and mid back (well, what space was left around an existing one). (to anyone that viewed those pics i posted in april on flickr--there have been a few changes)

It all started with one lone tattoo 18 years ago, 'i'm just gonna get the one and that's it'. Tell her that.

Go pack go is right. The artist makes all the difference. As for the old age and how they'll look issue that most people will bring up..I respect that, but if ANYTHING on me is looking hot at 60+, look out Hasselhoff. I'm hardly concerned how they'll look when sitting on my own balls is a real and scary possibility. But, I do have my work in areas that are not known to allow for too much sag.

My artist won't even agree to put a tattoo in certain places on certain people because of work issues.

twoseven
06-16-2008, 07:11 PM
We also talked about some employers who still may not hire prospective employees wearing tattoos. That did not carry much validity with her as she cited examples of many young women sporting tattoos these days.
Depends. When I was a senior in college and finishing up some summer classes, I ended up going to my adviosr in a tank top as it was summer and hot. This is a guy who I had for tons of health courses, needless to say I was a very good student and got good grades in his classes and the guy liked me. That all changed instantly when he saw that I had a few visible tattoos on my arms and chest. This is a guy that for four years treated me like one of his kids, after he saw my evil artwork he treated me like dirt. The guy was and old man ready to retire and tattoos beyond the sailor stuff were beyond his understanding. But my point is you never know what kind of reaction you'll get. She should not be so quick to write you off when you express concern.

There's always laser treatments. Tattos are NOT permanent anymore.

GBRulz
06-16-2008, 07:32 PM
I have a cross, with a heart in the middle and a red rose wrapped around it all. It's about 15 years old and the only thing I regret is not getting more of them! I asked around before I had mine done. Has mine faded? the white has, but the rest of the colors still look great and since it's on my shoulder/back, it sees alot of sun.

Where I work, it's a policy to keep them covered up, so I guess that would be my only recommendation is to get them someplace where that isn't a problem.

Deputy Nutz
06-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Do any of you have advice? Madtown, I don't want to hear any wild stories from you about tattoos you have hidden on your...well... we don't need to go there. :oops:

The only tats that Mad knows anything about are the ones you get in prison.

MadtownPacker
06-16-2008, 09:03 PM
You gaijins just dont get it do you? I am not talking about how the tat will look but the fact that it aint coming off unless you are down to have lots of $$ treatments. Unless you are putting it on your back you are going to see it everyday. Will you get tire of it? Unless it is some kinda memorial of family but what about the big weed leaf you might have with your last name on it? Or maybe the neck ring like a dog collar?

I know those are extremes but regardless it is a long term commitment and people need to think it out. If Skinbasket does it the way he said that is way more than enough patience. Thing is I dont know anybody else that does that.

For those who have tats I could ask your thoughts now but I really want to know the ones in 20, 30, even 40 years.

BallHawk
06-16-2008, 09:16 PM
The Mexican is the one lecturing about the negatives of tattoos? :shock:

PackerRats has turned into bizarro world.

BallHawk
06-16-2008, 09:22 PM
And this is a question for all of those that have a cross or any other religion-themed tattoo on their body. This is simply a question and nothing more.

Why do you feel the need to have a symbol of your faith inked onto your skin? Do you not feel that going to church, being a good person, following the Ten Commandments, etc. is not enough? I'm just curious to know because it seems a bit strange to me. You see people with cross necklaces all the time, that is accepted and normal. So why go the extra mile and get it permanently tattooed onto your skin. Is the permanent aspect of the tattoo appealing as though it symbolizes a lifelong devotion to your faith? I just don't get it.

bobblehead
06-16-2008, 09:26 PM
I don't have any tats, but I don't really look down on anyone who does and I'm almost 40. In all honesty though, if someone was a lookin for a job and had tatoos that were visible in normal clothing I would question their judgement. Not to say they could't overcome that, but they would be starting behind the line. Is it fair, maybe not, but life isn't and you gotta learn to live in the real world. I would ask her to wait another year and make a long list of the pros and cons of getting a tatoo and read it every day. If she needs help on the cons, help her, if you can't come up with any, well, guess you shouldn't be against it.

bobblehead
06-16-2008, 09:29 PM
And this is a question for all of those that have a cross or any other religion-themed tattoo on their body. This is simply a question and nothing more.

Why do you feel the need to have a symbol of your faith inked onto your skin? Do you not feel that going to church, being a good person, following the Ten Commandments, etc. is not enough? I'm just curious to know because it seems a bit strange to me. You see people with cross necklaces all the time, that is accepted and normal. So why go the extra mile and get it permanently tattooed onto your skin. Is the permanent aspect of the tattoo appealing as though it symbolizes a lifelong devotion to your faith? I just don't get it.

I'm not religous, but I would guess those who are feel strongly about their faith, just like someone might get a tatoo of chinese letters for faith and honor...they feel strongly about it. Why get any tatoo??

BallHawk
06-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Well I'd say that there's a good portion of tattoo enthusiasts who get tattoos because they feel it's an art form and a beautiful way of expressing themselves. Those are the type who get them all over their body and go with bright, fancy colors and everything like that.

Then you have fraternity tattoos, gang tattoos, military tattoos, etc.

Then the remaining people would be just your average joes.

3irty1
06-16-2008, 11:54 PM
I know a girl who had Favre sign her hip and immediately had it tattooed over.

BallHawk
06-16-2008, 11:59 PM

Now that is something that you can be proud of when you're 70.

bobblehead
06-17-2008, 12:46 AM

Now that is something that you can be proud of when you're 70.

To bad he retired, it ruined a perfectly good joke about pointing to the tatoo as he extends his record to 11476 consecutive games.

twoseven
06-17-2008, 04:24 AM

Questioning why someone gets a cross tattooed on them? Why does anyone get anything tattooed on them? Placing something permanent on your body to me seems a greater sign of commitment than a necklace that you can take off, a church you can stop attending. Just for discussion, I would pose the opposite question..why NOT show that level of committment? Is there some form of shame involved that cannot be undone by taking off the necklace or stopping your attendance of a certain church? Just wondering.

People let their bodies go to hell everyday by overeating and not taking care of themselves, while others spend a lifetme in the gym trying to sculpt a look that was not left to them naturally. They'll spend an entire lifteime looking different as years pass, and their changes will not be hidden underneath a shirt or pants in most cases. Understandibly, in my life plenty of people have asked me 'why' in reagrds to my artwork. I wonder the same thing if they have allowed themselves to gain 30-40 pounds of additonal bodyweight. Reality is, my tattoo is not going to shorten my life unlike the negative physical change they have allowed themselves to endure if they have neglected their health. Is a tattoo really that big of a deal when NONE of us will look the same and will constantly be sporting a different looking face/body/hair/teeth as we go from 18-80? Just wondering.

Employement and hiring..for every older person that grew up in a generation in which tatoos were either on military persons or WEIRDOS and would look down on a younger person with one..I offer this, what about the thirty/40 something boss that has a tatoo(s) and is hiring? A fair question, I think.

I think it's, like most things, a generational subject and a personal decision that is NOT right for EVERYONE. As time passes and more and more people are sporting them, the taboo element will continue to fade away. Thirty years ago only a few select people were sporting them, now they are very common. 30 years ago a man with a pierced ear was not so normal, nowadays??

By the way, for all of the square footage of work I have under my clothes, I have yet to let anything slip below the t-shirt sleeves, though i want very badly to start crawlin designs towards my forearms..why? Employment. I get it, and I am still cautious.

I say don't get the first unless you are prepared to get the tenth. It may happen.

MJZiggy
06-17-2008, 05:50 AM
I still say you gotta listen to what Mad's saying. My dad used to wear long sleeve shirts in 90 degree heat not because he even had a boss, but because he didn't want his clients seeing them and it wasn't because he was worried about whether they'd give him their business because of them. He hated those things and when I told him I wanted a picture of them so I could show it to my son if he ever considered getting one, he gladly stuck his arm out to have them photographed. (now it appears I just have about 10 years to find it again...)

GBRulz
06-17-2008, 09:27 AM

I will answer this because I feel it was partially directed at me. Yes, I have a tat with a heart, a cross and a red rose wrapped around it all. It has nothing to do with my faith. It has to do with that I was 19 years old, saw an incredibly beautiful design and I wanted it. That's it.

Now, please save your church talk and how those people with crosses think it can replace going to church, not following the ten commandments, etc. If you didn't mean it to come across that way, I apologize but coming from someone on here who can't even be honest about something so simple as his age....you sound very hypocritical.

BallHawk
06-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Now, please save your church talk and how those people with crosses think it can replace going to church, not following the ten commandments, etc. If you didn't mean it to come across that way, I apologize

It wasn't supposed to come across that way.

but coming from someone on here who can't even be honest about something so simple as his age....you sound very hypocritical.

Is that a serious remark?

Scott Campbell
06-17-2008, 11:02 AM
I have a tattoo of Harlan on my ass.

MadtownPacker
06-17-2008, 11:13 AM
The Mexican is the one lecturing about the negatives of tattoos? :shock:

PackerRats has turned into bizarro world.I aint lecturing you. Get a swastika on your forehead like manson for all I give a fuck.

I agree with those that say it is more common nowadays and that it isnt considered so bad like before. Im just saying for whoever is getting a tat or is seriously thinking about it better be sure that is what you want for the long term. I laugh when I see trendy Mfers getting covered from head to toe. Shit aint the ones you get out the Cracka Jack box.

MadtownPacker
06-17-2008, 11:15 AM
I have a cross, with a heart in the middle and a red rose wrapped around it all. It's about 15 years old and the only thing I regret is not getting more of them! I asked around before I had mine done. Has mine faded? the white has, but the rest of the colors still look great and since it's on my shoulder/back, it sees alot of sun.How the hell do you tattoo white on a white gurl?? Pendeja! :lol:

Zool
06-17-2008, 11:23 AM
I have a cross, with a heart in the middle and a red rose wrapped around it all. It's about 15 years old and the only thing I regret is not getting more of them! I asked around before I had mine done. Has mine faded? the white has, but the rest of the colors still look great and since it's on my shoulder/back, it sees alot of sun.How the hell do you tattoo white on a white gurl?? Pendeja! :lol:

Cause we're not stark white. Well most of us.

Shouldn't you be off getting a B in Spanish class somewhere?

MadtownPacker
06-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Shouldn't you be off getting a B in Spanish class somewhere?Why dont you go get a "W" tattoo on each ass cheek.

Then when you bend over it can say "WoW".

Zool
06-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Shouldn't you be off getting a B in Spanish class somewhere?Why dont you go get a "W" tattoo on each ass cheek.

Or MoM when I stand on my head. Thats fucking genius. I'm totally doing that.

oregonpackfan
06-17-2008, 11:41 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Madtown, you are a character! :)

oregonpackfan
06-17-2008, 11:43 AM

So when you get PO'd at Harlan do you just have your wives spank you with a paddleboard? :)

LL2
06-17-2008, 11:47 AM

So when you get PO'd at Harlan do you just have your wives spank you with a paddleboard? :)

I bet Skin already has Harlan tatooed to his ass so he can shit on him everyday.

twoseven
06-17-2008, 12:29 PM

Or MoM when I stand on my head. Thats fucking genius. I'm totally doing that.You guys fucked the joke up..it's an 'M' on each cheek so when you bend over it says MOM..and when your lover has you legs up it says WOW.

MadtownPacker
06-17-2008, 01:07 PM
You guys fucked the joke up..it's an 'M' on each cheek so when you bend over it says MOM..and when your lover has you legs up it says WOW.Obviously you know all about this shit, you sick fuck.

retailguy
06-17-2008, 01:14 PM
You guys fucked the joke up..it's an 'M' on each cheek so when you bend over it says MOM..and when your lover has you legs up it says WOW.Obviously you know all about this shit, you sick fuck.

:shock: Dear Lord. It has to be the offseason... :P

I hear this touted as a "lifestyle" and I also hear this touted as a "fad"... Since I don't participate, I guess I'm not qualified to weigh in. My former business partner is convinced that tattooing will become so mainstream that Wal-mart will be doing it in 5 years. Others I know, react much like 27's professor.

If it's a fad, it's going to be a lot more difficult, and a lot more painful to get rid of than that almond fridge, or green toilet, that's for sure!

OPF, there is supposed to be some new kind of ink that responds better to removal, not sure how widespread that is, but I guess it might be worth looking into.

when I had my retail stores, I wouldn't hire anyone with visible body piercing or tattoos, because I believed it would become an issue sooner or later if they showed up to the interview with it visible. For me, trying to run a business and sell things, it just wasn't part of the business plan. I wouldn't do that any more than I'd hang a political sign in the window, or have people signing petitions... I wanted to appeal to as many people as I could, believing that it translated to more sales from a more diverse audience.

27 - I don't agree with your professor at all, he's obviously bigoted, but as a store owner, I wouldn't have wanted to offend him either. His money is just as green as anyone elses, and it's tough out there trying to make a living, you need every sale you can get.

If this isn't a fad, and really is a lifestyle change, then a lot of America has a long way to go to integrating it into society.

twoseven
06-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Hit and run, eh? That's right, hide behind the door of your vehicle so whitey can't get you...

twoseven
06-17-2008, 03:13 PM
I hear this touted as a "lifestyle" and I also hear this touted as a "fad"... Since I don't participate, I guess I'm not qualified to weigh in. My former business partner is convinced that tattooing will become so mainstream that Wal-mart will be doing it in 5 years. Others I know, react much like 27's professor.

If it's a fad, it's going to be a lot more difficult, and a lot more painful to get rid of than that almond fridge, or green toilet, that's for sure!

OPF, there is supposed to be some new kind of ink that responds better to removal, not sure how widespread that is, but I guess it might be worth looking into.

when I had my retail stores, I wouldn't hire anyone with visible body piercing or tattoos, because I believed it would become an issue sooner or later if they showed up to the interview with it visible. For me, trying to run a business and sell things, it just wasn't part of the business plan. I wouldn't do that any more than I'd hang a political sign in the window, or have people signing petitions... I wanted to appeal to as many people as I could, believing that it translated to more sales from a more diverse audience.

27 - I don't agree with your professor at all, he's obviously bigoted, but as a store owner, I wouldn't have wanted to offend him either. His money is just as green as anyone elses, and it's tough out there trying to make a living, you need every sale you can get.

If this isn't a fad, and really is a lifestyle change, then a lot of America has a long way to go to integrating it into society.
My money may be as green as that bigoted guy I knew from college, but my money is also a lot younger than his. He's got 15-20 years left to pay those stores as compared to 40-60 from me, not to mention my offspring. It's also risky to try and pigeon hole someone that has tattoo work into any kind of category or classification. Far too many people have them these days from all walks of life sporting all kinds of educations and incomes. That's a lot of poeple to allienate.

Tattoos? Have to say that they're NOT a fad. I heard the same thing shortly after getting my first, that it was a fad, and that was almost twenty years ago. that's a long ass time for a fad to still be around.

Sorry to say, but if businesses are just now noticing tattoos on younger people and wondering if this is a new lifestyle change then they may already be way behind in regards to keeping up with what matters most and what is the norm or deemed acceptable by those between the ages of 18-38. Plenty of people from my generation accepted tattoos as normal years ago and many of us are now heading into our 40s, some into their 50s.

DonHutson
06-17-2008, 04:11 PM
OPF, sounds like you're doing something right as a parent if she even sought your advice on the matter at 20 years old. If she's willing to give some value to your advice, so much the better.

You make it sound like she's a good, rational kid. The worst that can happen is that she ends up a good, rational kid with a tattoo. Could be worse.

retailguy
06-17-2008, 04:38 PM
My money may be as green as that bigoted guy I knew from college, but my money is also a lot younger than his. He's got 15-20 years left to pay those stores as compared to 40-60 from me, not to mention my offspring. It's also risky to try and pigeon hole someone that has tattoo work into any kind of category or classification. Far too many people have them these days from all walks of life sporting all kinds of educations and incomes. That's a lot of poeple to allienate.

Tattoos? Have to say that they're NOT a fad. I heard the same thing shortly after getting my first, that it was a fad, and that was almost twenty years ago. that's a long ass time for a fad to still be around.

Sorry to say, but if businesses are just now noticing tattoos on younger people and wondering if this is a new lifestyle change then they may already be way behind in regards to keeping up with what matters most and what is the norm or deemed acceptable by those between the ages of 18-38. Plenty of people from my generation accepted tattoos as normal years ago and many of us are now heading into our 40s, some into their 50s.

Yes, I agree with most everything you say, what I was trying to say is that as a business owner, I didn't want to "offend" anyone, even including guys like your professor or yourself, if I didn't have to.

I guess, to say it another way, is that some people (whether bigoted or not) would be offended by external displays of tattoos and body piercing, but few people (or much fewer) would be offended by "NOT" seeing such things while shopping in a retail establishment. So, one way, the odds seem clearer, and less "risk" of downfall.

You're totally right about being younger and around longer. Thats what I was talking about by saying if it's a lifestyle change, and I don't know whether it is or isn't, but if it is, then, lots of people have a long way to go towards making that change.

As to businesses "noticing", I am not sure that is even important, unless they intend to carry products (such as body jewelry for example) that are desired by people into that particular "lifestyle". I'm unsure that a business should get caught up into promoting any lifestyle, unless, that is what their business is directly all about.

Not sure from your tone if I offended you or not, but if I did, I apologize. I just wanted to state a perspective from the "other side of the fence", and hoped to convey that without the "appearance" of judging one way or the other. I just wanted to convey the reasons why I didn't hire and that it had little to do with 'judgement' and everything to do about 'perception'. Perception is a very large part of why we shop where we shop, and there are very few ways to control "perception".

twoseven
06-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Not sure from your tone if I offended you or not, but if I did, I apologize. I just wanted to state a perspective from the "other side of the fence", and hoped to convey that without the "appearance" of judging one way or the other. I just wanted to convey the reasons why I didn't hire and that it had little to do with 'judgement' and everything to do about 'perception'. Perception is a very large part of why we shop where we shop, and there are very few ways to control "perception".No, you didn't offend. I got all of it the first time you said it and I agree with you. You are in a tough spot, you have a bottom line and cannot afford to allienate anyone you serve. I said it myself, more or less, I have quite a few tattoos but am still not willing to display them more freely because of other people's hang-ups.

If you are picking up on anything I am saying by my tone, it's because this entire string is reminding me, because of some of the comments made, of things I have heard people say over the years in reagrds to the personal decisions people make for themselves as adults--like getting a tatoo. Some of the hang ups of those that are not ok with things others do to themselves, for themselves.

If I had a dollar for the number of times I have heard somebody say..'why would you want to do somethig like that to yourself' after you've already placed the thing on your body..well, I wouldn't be rich but I'd have a few bucks in my pocket. The funny thing is they think they are making polite conversation with a phrase like that. Reality is it's a very negative comment. 'What made you want to get a tattoo?' is the appropriate thing to say..It doesn't scream 'what the hell where you thinking, I would never do something like that to myself.'

I guess frustration I might have comes from the reality that seeing a tattoo on somebody is more unnerving for some people than seeing a cigarette in someone's mouth, seeing a person over doing it with alcohol, or seeing a person overeating. Truth is, the tattoo is the only one of the bunch that won't kill you eventually. Weird how some things are acceptable or less shocking to deal with in our society than others.

the_idle_threat
06-18-2008, 06:04 AM
Tattoos are becomeing so common now amongst the younger generations that it almost seems like NOT getting one is more unique than getting one.

Tattoo aficionados and artists pimp the originality idea, especially to young women---"get a tattoo that will let you express your originality and uniqueness" ... (just like everybody else).

Meanwhile, guys get them because tattoos are a great way to look fake tough. For maximum effect, add a goatee as well.

So now we have all this impressionable youth that is graffitti-ed up like railroad cars. It's not only the boomer generation and older that thinks they're lame.

PackFan#1
06-20-2008, 01:07 AM
I have a tattoo that reads “Thug Life” written on my 6 pack abs :)

SkinBasket
06-20-2008, 06:48 AM
Tattoos are becomeing so common now amongst the younger generations that it almost seems like NOT getting one is more unique than getting one.

I blame those tattoo shows on cable. Some of the work is great on there. But for every well thought out piece they show, they also show 2-10 people who think the lotus or bird or butterfly or loony toons tattoo they saw on the show is significant to them and who they are as a person. You end up with tens of thousands of people covered in clip-art.

I love the tattoo shop I use. They will, and have while I've been in, tattoo someone's cock as quick as they lay a tramp stamp on someone, but they'll always express their obvious disdain for ideas that are not well thought out and try to get the person to reconsider instead of just taking their money and putting something on them that they'll hate in 3 months.