PDA

View Full Version : Packers expected to blitz more for Bretsky

RashanGary
06-17-2008, 07:27 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=762740

On separate plays over a five-minute span at a recent practice, the Green Bay Packers blitzed with two linebackers, a safety, a nickel back and then two cornerbacks.

EDITED to remove the story... Just the link Justin.... Sorry! - Retailguy.

Bretsky
06-17-2008, 07:56 AM
Good to hear

Now it'd be nice if we can disguise them a bit rather than having the opposition seeing the packages coming :wink:

Scott Campbell
06-17-2008, 07:59 AM
Remember when Slowik tried to blitz a lot that one year, and got torched repeatedly during the early part of the 4-12 season? The sad part about that effort is that they never seemed to generate any additional pressure.

Chester Marcol
06-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Good to hear

Now it'd be nice if we can disguise them a bit rather than having the opposition seeing the packages coming :wink:

Remember when Slowik tried to blitz a lot that one year, and got torched repeatedly during the early part of the 4-12 season? The sad part about that effort is that they never seemed to generate any additional pressure.

Or if the blitzers don't just pile into the back of the blitzer/lineman in front of them. Some blitzes looked more like an act from a Laurel and Hardy episode.

Anyone can call a blitz. Slowit was good at calling blitzes. However orchestrating them was another story. Good defensive coaches know how to create the openings for the blitzers. Some defenders need to be used just for the sake of moving linemen out of the blitzer's lane.

Just like in boxing, you gotta setup the big punch. Not just come screaming swinging wildly up the middle.

Partial
06-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Good.

Packnut
06-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Wow! Ya mean Sanders is actually going to do his freaking job? Are we really gonna run a Pro style defense? Are we really gonna make an opposing QB have to think and wonder where the pressure is gonna come from? Is school really over for Mr Sanders? Is he really expected to produce results?

I'LL BELIEVE IT WHEN I SEE IT!

hoosier
06-17-2008, 09:09 AM

The year they went bananas with the blitz was actually the 10-6 season that preceded the 4-12 season. At first it worked fairly well, and the Packers managed to upset Carolina on the season opening Monday night. But then Indy lit them up with 45 points (remember Hawthorne trying to cover Reggie Wayne?) and Slowik kind of went into a shell.

Packnut
06-17-2008, 09:18 AM

The year they went bananas with the blitz was actually the 10-6 season that preceded the 4-12 season. At first it worked fairly well, and the Packers managed to upset Carolina on the season opening Monday night. But then Indy lit them up with 45 points (remember Hawthorne trying to cover Reggie Wayne?) and Slowik kind of went into a shell.

Ya gotta have the right players that know how to blitz. Nick seem's to be above average at it. Poppinga did it in college. We all saw Bigby do it very well in pre-season last year. I think given the chance, Hawk could be very special at it.

CaliforniaCheez
06-17-2008, 10:53 AM
The Packers worked on their blitzes during a practice and Gred Bedard creates a big story. Let's not blow this out of proportion.

It isn't just the offense that works on things in the off season. The defense works on certain situations too.

It is rather rare for Sanders to blitz. Mostly it was Poppinga last year with an occaisional corner blitz. Anything else is a rather rare. He is not going to change his philosphy based on the experience accumulated over his coaching career.

This was just one day working on various blitzes.

Scott Campbell
06-17-2008, 11:11 AM

That's right. Thanks for helping my feeble memory. :D

KYPack
06-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Sanders has a problen trying to run blitzes because of our basic defense. We play the linebackers deep and inside the DE's. Whenever anybody creeps up to be in position to blitz, it's the easiest read in the world. We also play our own form of a cover 2. It's unlike the cover two's everybody else runs (except for Bates, who ain't with a team now). We play the Safties in the center of the field and the corners wide on the island with the WR's. It's a cover D, but not a blitz D.

In order to blitz, the Pack has to cheat a S or LB into a blitz position & it sticks out like a sore thumb. To be a truly effective blitz unit, we have to put in some other basic covers that we can effectively blitz from. This bunch on D is at the point where they are expericnced enough to add a cover 2 buck, or Tampa 2, or a strongside rotation that can be effective to blitz from. That has to happen before we can do much blitzing. There's just not much good to blitz from our base cover. it's a low percentage blitz, and low percentage blitzes ain't too hot an idea.

oregonpackfan
06-17-2008, 11:37 AM
So the Packers are going to blitz more just because Bretsky is a moderator of Packer Rats? Geez, I did not realize Bretsky carried that much influence.

Bretsky, could you swing a couple of tickets for me on the 50 yard line for the Packer Rats game this October? :)

bobblehead
06-17-2008, 11:46 AM

and wasn't sharper defending the backfield that season still? Man he was awesome at sticking to his assignment.

hoosier
06-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Sanders has a problen trying to run blitzes because of our basic defense. We play the linebackers deep and inside the DE's. Whenever anybody creeps up to be in position to blitz, it's the easiest read in the world. We also play our own form of a cover 2. It's unlike the cover two's everybody else runs (except for Bates, who ain't with a team now). We play the Safties in the center of the field and the corners wide on the island with the WR's. It's a cover D, but not a blitz D.

In order to blitz, the Pack has to cheat a S or LB into a blitz position & it sticks out like a sore thumb. To be a truly effective blitz unit, we have to put in some other basic covers that we can effectively blitz from. This bunch on D is at the point where they are expericnced enough to add a cover 2 buck, or Tampa 2, or a strongside rotation that can be effective to blitz from. That has to happen before we can do much blitzing. There's just not much good to blitz from our base cover. it's a low percentage blitz, and low percentage blitzes ain't too hot an idea.

I'm not that familiar with the positioning of the LBs in Sanders' defense, and haven't been able to watch many Packer games in recent years. But even if the positionings are as rigid as you say, they still have some options for blitzing, including sending the LBs inside the tackles or one or both of the CBs. But then again, I would hope that if Sanders is seriously considering using the blitz as a weapon, then he would also be experimenting with variations in positioning (cheating Bigby near the LOS, etc.).

SMACKTALKIE
06-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Does this mean the pack is not getting enough pressure with the front 4? :wink:

DonHutson
06-17-2008, 12:09 PM

I think it means they aren't afraid that any of the NFC Central QB's can beat them deep if a blitz doesn't get home.

SMACKTALKIE
06-17-2008, 12:14 PM

I think it means they aren't afraid that any of the NFC Central QB's can beat them deep if a blitz doesn't get home.

Oh....OK I get it. The pack is only playing NFC north teams this year. :lol:

DonHutson
06-17-2008, 12:19 PM

Oh....OK I get it. The pack is only playing NFC north teams this year. :lol:

Did I say Central? Oy... :oops:

hoosier
06-17-2008, 12:54 PM
They've basically been playing in the same system for four years now. It will be interesting to see: 1) how much imagination Sanders and his staff have for tweaking and evolving the system, 2) how well the key players in the system who might be asked to adapt their roles (Barnett, Hawk, Bigby, Collins) respond. I'm guessing Barnett and Hawk have the brains and instincts to adapt well, and that Hawk might be a major benefactor of such a role change.

Bretsky
06-17-2008, 08:57 PM
So the Packers are going to blitz more just because Bretsky is a moderator of Packer Rats? Geez, I did not realize Bretsky carried that much influence.

Bretsky, could you swing a couple of tickets for me on the 50 yard line for the Packer Rats game this October? :)

HOW MANY ROWS UP ?? :wink:

texaspackerbacker
06-18-2008, 12:01 AM
I think we need to lobby Bretsky to use that great influence in the opposite direction.

Blitzing, in general, is a desperation move that good defenses should only use very sparingly, as a helluva lot more can go wrong than the benefit derived.

There's nothing wrong with working on it in practice and getting better in case we do need to use it. Heaven knows the Packers weren't very good at blitzing last year. I really hope, however, Sanders does NOT change his basic tendency to avoid blitzing the great majority of the time.

swede
06-18-2008, 12:12 AM

Excellent post, KY.

LL2
06-18-2008, 11:45 AM

HOW MANY ROWS UP ?? :wink:

I'll take a pair if you can manage a couple more. I'll even make sure the Packer Girls do some kissing and groping for you.

Back to this thread topic...about Frickin time Sanders stops being so conservative! I hope we see an agressive defense. From reading that article I get the feeling that M3 had something to do with the defense being conservative, and it's not all Sanders. Perhaps M3 feels now that his core defensive group can be let go after playing together for a couple years.

Cheesehead Craig
06-18-2008, 01:35 PM
So long as they are effective blitzes and not a dog-pile on the OL kind of blitz then by all means...