PDA

View Full Version : Does Jennings move foward or stay the same?

packers11
06-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Its year three for Greg Jennings and this could be his potential breakout year... But without Brett Favre (like J - Walks had for his year 3 breakout), year three could be a different turn for Greg Jennings... Some National pundits believe that Aaron Rodgers will not be able to reach the maxium potential that Jennings does have...

Greg Jennings, WR, Packers: He was a touchdown machine last year, but touchdowns can be fickle things. He didn't even get 1,000 of Favre's 4,155 passing yards and now he has Aaron Rodgers throwing to him?

You know who the Packers' only 1,000-yard receiver was last year? You know who led the team in receptions (29 more than second place)? Well, I'll tell you who it wasn't, and that's Greg Jennings. Jennings' value came from his touchdown total, which is no guarantee to continue.

-espn.com

I know they are talking in fantasy football terms, but the writer does have a point... If Brett Favre with over 4000+ passing yards couldn't get Jennings 1000+ yards over, how will Rodgers do it??? Many people forget that Driver still is THE BEST WR on the team by doing all the dirty work, and Jennings is the HR hitter, but most of the double teams have been focusing on Driver...

What do you guys project out of Jennings this year??? 1000+? Or expect the same as last year because of the new adjustments at quarterback?

Scott Campbell
06-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Jennings didn't get 1000 yards because he missed some games. If he stays healthy, I'd say 1000 is a lock.

RashanGary
06-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Jennings looks to be in fantastic shape, even better than last year. I think he's going to have a HUGE year. LIke SC said though, it's if he's healthy.

The Leaper
06-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Jennings is a solid WR, but with the position so deep and with the loss of Favre I'm guessing we won't have any WRs that reach 1000 yards this year if everyone stays relatively healthy. It will be especially hard for Jennings...because if there are any double teams this year, he will be the one getting targeted instead of Driver IMO.

I'm expecting about 3200-3500 yards passing from Rodgers...and not much more than 2500 of that will go to WRs, as I'm guessing the RBs and TEs will be larger factors in the passing offense this year.

oregonpackfan
06-18-2008, 10:19 AM
I agree with Leaper's points: deepness in WR position, probably more emphasis on the running game this year, more double teams, etc.

As I have said in previous threads, I think the Packers' offense might struggle in the first half of the season. When you have the same starting QB for 16 years in a row, it is unrealistic to expect an automatic smooth transition to a new QB. That reduction in total offensive yardage will also limit Jennings' yardage as well, IMO.

HarveyWallbangers
06-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Jennings is a solid WR, but with the position so deep and with the loss of Favre I'm guessing we won't have any WRs that reach 1000 yards this year if everyone stays relatively healthy. It will be especially hard for Jennings...because if there are any double teams this year, he will be the one getting targeted instead of Driver IMO.

I'm expecting about 3200-3500 yards passing from Rodgers...and not much more than 2500 of that will go to WRs, as I'm guessing the RBs and TEs will be larger factors in the passing offense this year.

If Rodgers stays healthy, he should easily surpass 3200 passing yards. There were only 5 teams in the league last year who threw for less than that. Only one QB (Phillip Rivers) who played 16 games threw for less than 3300 yards last year. I'm guessing the total is closer to 3700-3800. Nine of the 12 QBs who played 16 games last year threw for 3787 yards or more.

The Leaper
06-18-2008, 10:28 AM
If Rodgers stays healthy, he should easily surpass 3200 passing yards.

I'm guessing Rodgers gets dinged up a time or two and misses a game or two. I'm also guessing the Packer offense will rely HEAVILY on the running game this year. It is not going to be as pass happy without Favre around.

If Rodgers gets 3500 yards passing, it would be a pretty solid achievement IMO. That's 220 yards passing a game. Favre averaged 243 yards a game during his career. So I expect a 10% drop for Rodgers if he plays all 16 games. I don't see how that is an underestimation. Green Bay can be a very poor environment for passing numbers in November and December...as opposed to guys playing in Houston, Carolina, Jacksonville, Phoenix, etc.

HarveyWallbangers
06-18-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm guessing Rodgers gets dinged up a time or two and misses a game or two. I'm also guessing the Packer offense will rely HEAVILY on the running game this year. It is not going to be as pass happy without Favre around.

If Rodgers gets 3500 yards passing, it would be a pretty solid achievement IMO. That's 220 yards passing a game. Favre averaged 243 yards a game during his career. So I expect a 10% drop for Rodgers if he plays all 16 games. I don't see how that is an underestimation. Green Bay can be a very poor environment for passing numbers in November and December...as opposed to guys playing in Houston, Carolina, Jacksonville, Phoenix, etc.

Well, you're kind of bouncing around on your points. If Rodgers does get dinged up, the WRs will still get yards from the QB that replaces him. I'd say they'll be at least middle of the pack in passing yards. The team that finished 16th in the league last year had over 3800 yards passing yards as a team. So, it's likely that your 3200-3500 yards projection is going to be quite low. This team doesn't have the personnel to just run it all of the time. They'll still need to throw a lot to open up the running game--which is how it worked last year. This OL isn't likely to become a dominating run blocking line overnight. They'll still be a passing team.

The Leaper
06-18-2008, 11:05 AM
My main point is that Green Bay isn't nearly as hospitable to passing as Favre has made it look in the last 15 years.

Green Bay typically will be in the lower half of team passing stats simply due to the fact that their late season home games tend to be played in cold, windy conditions.

As a team, I would expect around 3600-3800 yards passing in 2008. Also remember that Rodgers has scrambling ability...and that will also decrease the number of times the ball is thrown in passing situations compared to prior years.

Claiming my 3500 yard projection to be "quite low" is ridiculous...Favre put up 4155 yards last year, playing at a level many said challenged his best ever as a future first ballot HOF QB. You honestly expect Rodgers to come close to challenging that in his first year as a starter?

Get real people. Put together a list of numbers put up by first time starters in the NFL over the last decade and get back to me with where Rodgers is likely to finish.

sheepshead
06-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Probowl

sheepshead
06-18-2008, 11:07 AM
I agree with Leaper's points: deepness in WR position, probably more emphasis on the running game this year, more double teams, etc.

As I have said in previous threads, I think the Packers' offense might struggle in the first half of the season. When you have the same starting QB for 16 years in a row, it is unrealistic to expect an automatic smooth transition to a new QB. That reduction in total offensive yardage will also limit Jennings' yardage as well, IMO.

deepness?? how 'bout depth?

DonHutson
06-18-2008, 12:18 PM
One factor not mentioned is the possible downward slide of Donald Driver. He keeps himself in great shape, but eventually everyone starts to slow down. Not saying for sure that this is the year, but if Driver slips Jennings will pick up the slack.

Gunakor
06-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Its year three for Greg Jennings and this could be his potential breakout year... But without Brett Favre (like J - Walks had for his year 3 breakout), year three could be a different turn for Greg Jennings... Some National pundits believe that Aaron Rodgers will not be able to reach the maxium potential that Jennings does have...

Greg Jennings, WR, Packers: He was a touchdown machine last year, but touchdowns can be fickle things. He didn't even get 1,000 of Favre's 4,155 passing yards and now he has Aaron Rodgers throwing to him?

You know who the Packers' only 1,000-yard receiver was last year? You know who led the team in receptions (29 more than second place)? Well, I'll tell you who it wasn't, and that's Greg Jennings. Jennings' value came from his touchdown total, which is no guarantee to continue.

-espn.com

I know they are talking in fantasy football terms, but the writer does have a point... If Brett Favre with over 4000+ passing yards couldn't get Jennings 1000+ yards over, how will Rodgers do it??? Many people forget that Driver still is THE BEST WR on the team by doing all the dirty work, and Jennings is the HR hitter, but most of the double teams have been focusing on Driver...

What do you guys project out of Jennings this year??? 1000+? Or expect the same as last year because of the new adjustments at quarterback?

Jennings didn't reach 1k because of two very relevant issues, both of which have already been mentioned. First, he didn't even play in the first 2 weeks. Second is that Favre had more than just Driver and Jennings to throw to. He spread the ball around. If Green Bay didn't have the big 5 last year, I'll bet the farm that Jennings would have greatly exceeded 1k yards. Probably would have had more TD's to go along with a trip to Hawaii as well.

I would expect the double teams to continue on Driver, and I'd expect Jennings to continue to consistantly beat man coverage with little help from the safeties. I expect opposing defenses to play a little more in the box this year, opening things up for all of our WR's including Jennings. I think the addition of Jordy Nelson and the hopeful improvement of James Jones will open things up for Jennings even more. I guess in the end I don't expect Jennings to get much more attention this year than last.

The Leaper
06-18-2008, 01:04 PM
One factor not mentioned is the possible downward slide of Donald Driver. He keeps himself in great shape, but eventually everyone starts to slow down. Not saying for sure that this is the year, but if Driver slips Jennings will pick up the slack.

Driver may decline, but probably not enough in 2008 to give Jennings a huge pickup. Even with a pretty steep decline, Driver could still grab 50 catches and 700 yards. I can't see Donald going into the tank overnight...but I guess anything is possible. I think where you will see Donald's production fall most is in scoring TDs, not yardage.

Now, if Driver got hurt for a significant amount of time, then I could see Jennings having a strong chance at getting 1000 yards.

rbaloha1
06-18-2008, 01:11 PM
GJ shall have a monster year.

Power, speed and explosion. Watch out!

DonHutson
06-18-2008, 02:48 PM

Driver may decline, but probably not enough in 2008 to give Jennings a huge pickup. Even with a pretty steep decline, Driver could still grab 50 catches and 700 yards. I can't see Donald going into the tank overnight...but I guess anything is possible. I think where you will see Donald's production fall most is in scoring TDs, not yardage.

Now, if Driver got hurt for a significant amount of time, then I could see Jennings having a strong chance at getting 1000 yards.

At this point in their respective careers, another year for Jennings means he's more comfortable and more polished. Another year for Driver is one more year on the wrong side of 30.

Add in that Driver had many years of chemistry built up with Favre. But Rodgers is coming in fresh and he will need to build chemistry with everyone starting from scratch. There should be no assumption that he will automatically see Driver as his favorite WR. It could be Driver, but it could just as easily be Jennings (or Jones, or Nelson for that matter). I'm not saying Rodgers can't or won't spread the ball around, but I think every QB has that favorite WR that gets a second or third look when nothing else is going on. Driver was that guy for Favre. He may not be for Rodgers.

All that combined, Jennings could (and probably should) step up and become the number one target for the Packers. If he doesn't do it this year, then it's only a matter of time.

packers11
09-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Boy is he on pace... Many here predicted it to... :tup:

texaspackerbacker
09-22-2008, 02:54 PM

I tend to disagree, Leaper, on a couple of counts.

First, 3,200 is just 200 a game X 16. If he doesn't get hurt, Rodgers should get way more than that. He's certainly on track to.

Secondly, I think the huge majority of that--a lot more than 2,500 out of 3,200-3,500, maybe more like 3,500 out of 4,000, goes to the wide receivers. That's the way it has gone so far, and while I could see Lee having some big games, and some circumstances where the backs are used more, I think it is MORE likely as Jones and Martin get healthy that we use more 4 and 5 WR sets, and that the WRs in general get the bulk of the catches and even bigger bulk of the yardage.

BF4MVP
09-22-2008, 04:05 PM
He's had 91, 167, and 115 yards..Great start, and he is without a doubt Rodgers' favorite target..I think if he stays healthy he's a lock for quadruple digits.

mission
09-22-2008, 04:14 PM
He's had 91, 167, and 115 yards..Great start, and he is without a doubt Rodgers' favorite target..I think if he stays healthy he's a lock for quadruple digits.

Maybe 5 digits if he gets REAL hot!

Could happen ... :huh:

MJZiggy
09-22-2008, 09:22 PM

At this point in their respective careers, another year for Jennings means he's more comfortable and more polished. Another year for Driver is one more year on the wrong side of 30.

Add in that Driver had many years of chemistry built up with Favre. But Rodgers is coming in fresh and he will need to build chemistry with everyone starting from scratch. There should be no assumption that he will automatically see Driver as his favorite WR. It could be Driver, but it could just as easily be Jennings (or Jones, or Nelson for that matter). I'm not saying Rodgers can't or won't spread the ball around, but I think every QB has that favorite WR that gets a second or third look when nothing else is going on. Driver was that guy for Favre. He may not be for Rodgers.

All that combined, Jennings could (and probably should) step up and become the number one target for the Packers. If he doesn't do it this year, then it's only a matter of time.

Add to that the occasional injury (Ruvell) and there are more opportunities for other receivers. And while Rodgers was running the scout team he did develop timing with receivers. I know that Driver was working with #1s and Favre, but I think Jennings worked with Rodgers some in that capacity.