PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Christl blog, Tuesday's practice

motife
06-06-2006, 05:51 PM
TUESDAY, June 6, 2006, 2:56 p.m.

Cundiff wins on field goals, too
The first team field goal session of the year was conducted inside the Don Hutson Center Tuesday and Billy Cundiff won a narrow decision over Dave Rayner. The kickers attempted an extra point and then field goals from the 24-, 29-, 34-, 39-, 44-, 52- and 43-yard lines. Based on what I observed from the sidelines and the information I could gather in the locker room, Cundiff was 7-of-8 and Rayner was 6-of-8. Both missed from 52 yards. Rayner also missed from 44 yards.

The Packers tried four holders during the kicking competition. In order, they were Aaron Rodgers, Ruvell Martin, B.J. Sander and Jon Ryan.

It remains to be seen if rookie free agent defensive ends Jason Hunter and Montez Murphy are football players, but they are intriguing looking athletes. Hunter, who played at Appalachian State, stands 6-foot-4 and weighs 243 pounds. He said he ran 4.5 and 4.49 40-yard dashes on pro day at his school this past spring. Murphy, a product of Baylor, is 6-6, 256. He said he ran a 4.8 40 on his pro day.

Both have jumped out at times among defensive linemen in the individual drills early in practice. Hunter has maybe shown a better burst, but Murphy is taller and appears stronger in the upper body. Their footwork also jumps out in the drills, although they both look to be tight in the hips and more straight-line speed guys.

At this point, they’re the longest of long shots to make the final roster. But they both might have at least a shot at making the practice squad. They both fit the Packers’ scheme, where defensive ends don’t need as much girth as they do in some systems.

Hunter had 13 sacks and 24 ½ tackles for losses for a team that won the NCAA Division I-AA national championship last fall. He said Cleveland, Jacksonville, Miami and the New York Giants also offered him free agent contracts. Murphy had three sacks and six quarterback hurries last season for Baylor. He said Cincinnati and Tennessee were among the other teams that pursued him as a free agent.

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers had a pass batted down at the line for the second day in a row. Rookie quarterback Ingle Martin also had a pass batted down in the final team session. The defensive linemen who got their hands on the two passes were Hunter and Jerome Nichols.

Rookie wide receiver Greg Jennings caught a long touchdown pass from Brett Favre on a corner route in 7-on-7. Jennings made a nice grab, but rookie safety Tra Boger appeared to blow coverage. ... Free agent wide receiver Ruvell Martin continues to make a play or two just about every day. He caught a quick slant from Rodgers, taking the ball away from linebacker Tracy White, and also made a nice catch on an out from Favre. ... Backup corners Jerron Wishom and Jason Horton both made nice plays to break up passes in the end zone during a 7-on-7 red zone session. Wishom defelcted a Favre pass intended for Robert Ferguson in the back of the end zone. Horton got his hands on a jump ball in the corner of the end zone thrown by Favre to wide receiver Marc Boerigter. ... Ben Brown, a 6-foot-1, 246-pound rookie fullback from Tabor, has been getting snaps at tailback.

In addition to Favre, William Henderson and Ahmad Carroll returned to practice. Nick Barnett missed practice with what coach Mike McCarthy said was a knee injury. McCarthy said the injury didn't appear serious. Rookie Abdul Hodge replaced Barnett with the first unit.

McCarthy said his 2-1-2-1 training camp schedule was something he was exposed to in New Orleans. McCarthy said the schedule would allow more time for film study and give the players more rest in between practices. McCarthy also made it sound as though there won't be any more contact work than in the recent past. "We'll have segments that are live," said McCarthy, "but I think in today's game, you have to be smart." By being smart, he said he meant that he didn't want to beat his players up in camp. It's a philosophy that has worked well for the Packers since the Mike Holmgren days.

The Packers released their training camp schedule Tuesday. The Packers will rotate every other day between two-a-days - practices that normally will start at 9 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. - and one afternoon session that will start at 2 p.m. The first day of practice will be July 28.

Noodle
06-06-2006, 06:35 PM

McCarthy also made it sound as though there won't be any more contact work than in the recent past. "We'll have segments that are live," said McCarthy, "but I think in today's game, you have to be smart."

Mark my words, if the Pack starts out slowly, there will be posters (at least at JSO) bitching that they should have hit more in camp.

Good report -- thanks for posting.

red
06-06-2006, 06:45 PM

McCarthy also made it sound as though there won't be any more contact work than in the recent past. "We'll have segments that are live," said McCarthy, "but I think in today's game, you have to be smart."

Mark my words, if the Pack starts out slowly, there will be posters (at least at JSO) bitching that they should have hit more in camp.

Good report -- thanks for posting.
the sad thing is the nfl has a rule saying you can't have contact at these things, thats what the lions got in trouble for

ruvell martin is holding for kicks? thats interesting

motife
06-06-2006, 06:50 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/SaintsMinicamp.jpg

Here's a no contact photo from the Saint's OTA.

Noodle
06-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Good catch, Red, about Martin, I blew past that. The kid will do anything to hang on, smart move on his part. Makes sense -- you gotta figure he has good hands, and if there's a botch, I like the idea of him running with it a whole lot more than BJ.

red
06-06-2006, 06:52 PM
yeah, all the teams still do it.

it drives that dickhead from profootball talk up the wall

Good catch, Red, about Martin, I blew past that. The kid will do anything to hang on, smart move on his part. Makes sense -- you gotta figure he has good hands, and if there's a botch, I like the idea of him running with it a whole lot more than BJ.

absolutely, that coud be real fun. now i really want the kid to make the team

do you think maybe he ment ingle martin, that makes a lot more sense?

Noodle
06-06-2006, 06:55 PM
I thought the no contact rules applied to OTAs and such, not full-blown training camp where everyone is in pads. But I'm no expert on the NFL PA CBA.

Rastak
06-06-2006, 06:55 PM
yeah, all the teams still do it.

it drives that dickhead from profootball talk up the wall

absolutely, that coud be real fun. now i really want the kid to make the team

do you think maybe he ment ingle martin, that makes a lot more sense?

It sure does...mainly because he's right. Why have a rule that nobody follows?
Why call a practice voluntary if you get demoted for missing it?

Noodle
06-06-2006, 06:58 PM
On the Martin thing, I think Cliff might have meant Ingle, but why have the No. 3 QB do it? Did he hold in college?

GBM, maybe you can help us out here -- were you able to sneak in to the Hutson Center?

woodbuck27
06-06-2006, 07:14 PM

Uhhhh .

That of course , is to assume that BJ Sander will beat out Jon Ryan at punter, and that isn't going to be easy. Note also, that Jon Ryan is also trying to adapt to holding.

OKC PackerFan
06-06-2006, 07:38 PM
I believe read an article somewhere that had ruvell martin holding for ingle martin when he was kicking for fun a week or two ago. I could be wrong.

packiowa
06-06-2006, 08:00 PM
I'd guess it was Ruvell. Didn't the Packers try Javon at holder a few practice sessions?

Travbrew
06-07-2006, 01:52 PM
I'd guess it was Ruvell. Didn't the Packers try Javon at holder a few practice sessions?

That would have required an extra 1 million per year in his contract. You know, he's gotta feed his family. Holding kicks is dangerous too.

Fritz
06-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Jon Ryan, my new favorite Packer.