PDA

View Full Version : June 17: Minicamp News Re: Matt Flynn - Roster strength

woodbuck27
06-18-2008, 09:49 AM
http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2008/06/17/2/

June 17, 2008

Notebook: Flynn Making Progress

June 17: Minicamp by: Mike Spofford, Packers.com

It has taken Matt Flynn a little while to settle in, but the rookie seventh-round draft pick out of LSU has been progressing nicely as the team's No. 3 quarterback.

Flynn made several eye-catching throws during the two mini-camp practices inside the Don Hutson Center on Tuesday.

In a morning team (11-on-11) drill, he scrambled to his right and hit Jake Allen along the sideline when Allen made a nice move on cornerback Pat Lee to come back to the ball. Then in the afternoon practice, Flynn connected with fellow seventh-rounder Brett Swain on a deep throw down the far sideline, and he hit Swain again during a seven-on-seven drill with a well-placed low throw over the middle against tight coverage from cornerback Jarrett Bush.

"I think Matt has really done a very good job here the last two weeks, and he's starting to play with some rhythm," Head Coach Mike McCarthy said. "He's made some nice throws. I'm very happy with the progress of both young quarterbacks, and particularly Matt. I think Matt's really made a step. With that, we have a ton of work left."

See also: Roster strong

oregonpackfan
06-18-2008, 10:32 AM
This is encouraging news. Though Flynn remains a long shot, once in a while those QB low draft picks pull off a surprise like Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr, and Tom Brady.

The Leaper
06-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Flynn to me is a guy who eventually gets traded for a 4th/5th round pick down the road...which I think is precisely why Thompson picked him even though he probably could've addressed other areas with that pick. With two high draft picks at QB in front of him, Flynn ain't likely to get any real chance in Green Bay. That is why people were scratching their heads about the pick...but Thompson wasn't taking Flynn to help Green Bay, but because he presented the best choice to retain the value of that pick long term.

Patler
06-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Flynn to me is a guy who eventually gets traded for a 4th/5th round pick down the road...which I think is precisely why Thompson picked him even though he probably could've addressed other areas with that pick. With two high draft picks at QB in front of him, Flynn ain't likely to get any real chance in Green Bay. That is why people were scratching their heads about the pick...but Thompson wasn't taking Flynn to help Green Bay, but because he presented the best choice to retain the value of that pick long term.

...or, one of Rodgers or Brohm could be traded for a much higher pick in a couple years, the other become entrenched as GB's #1 QB, and Flynn stays long term as the backup, having a career much like Doug Pederson.

cpk1994
06-18-2008, 02:15 PM

...or, one of Rodgers or Brohm could be traded for a much higher pick in a couple years, the other become entrenched as GB's #1 QB, and Flynn stays long term as the backup, having a career much like Doug Pederson.Except Flynn won't have a Favre to backup enabling him to lengthen his career by 6 years.

Patler
06-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Except Flynn won't have a Favre to backup enabling him to lengthen his career by 6 years.

Doesn't have to. All he has to have is an entrenched #1 to backup, and be capable of coming in to manage a game or two, a few quarters etc. A smart guy, with reasonable skills and a grasp on his lot in life can do very well as a long term backup, especially if he becomes a skilled holder for place kicks.

No team can afford two QBs with legitimate starting abilities longterm, and no legitimate starter is content with a backup role for long. But, a knowledgeable guy, content to fill the #2 role as Pederson was after his fling to attempt to be a starter, has a very significant value to a team, especially if the #1 QB is human. The #2 guy gets very few practice reps, and if you can keep one long term it helps.

woodbuck27
06-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Except Flynn won't have a Favre to backup enabling him to lengthen his career by 6 years.

Doesn't have to. All he has to have is an entrenched #1 to backup, and be capable of coming in to manage a game or two, a few quarters etc. A smart guy, with reasonable skills and a grasp on his lot in life can do very well as a long term backup, especially if he becomes a skilled holder for place kicks.

No team can afford two QBs with legitimate starting abilities longterm, and no legitimate starter is content with a backup role for long. But, a knowledgeable guy, content to fill the #2 role as Pederson was after his fling to attempt to be a starter, has a very significant value to a team, especially if the #1 QB is human. The #2 guy gets very few practice reps, and if you can keep one long term it helps.

Teach them Patler. :)

The Leaper
06-18-2008, 09:42 PM
...or, one of Rodgers or Brohm could be traded for a much higher pick in a couple years, the other become entrenched as GB's #1 QB, and Flynn stays long term as the backup, having a career much like Doug Pederson.

Rodgers is a boom or bust for Green Bay at this point...I can't see any scenario where we could trade Rodgers away to recoup value. He either will prove himself as a capable starter long term, or he won't prove himself and will not be worth much in a trade.

Brohm getting traded would certainly be possible if Rodgers proves to be a capable starter.

KYPack
06-18-2008, 10:17 PM
I don't think Flynn will ever be an effective NFL QB. That kid has a lot to learn. He does have one real strength. that boy is really effective throwing the rollout pass. One of the better kids at rolling to his left. In most other areas, he's got a few years to go.

bobblehead
06-18-2008, 11:48 PM
I don't think Flynn will ever be an effective NFL QB. That kid has a lot to learn. He does have one real strength. that boy is really effective throwing the rollout pass. One of the better kids at rolling to his left. In most other areas, he's got a few years to go.

Worked for Doug Flutie to become a career backup and occasional starter.

Chubbyhubby
06-18-2008, 11:53 PM

Rodgers is a boom or bust for Green Bay at this point...I can't see any scenario where we could trade Rodgers away to recoup value. He either will prove himself as a capable starter long term, or he won't prove himself and will not be worth much in a trade.

Brohm getting traded would certainly be possible if Rodgers proves to be a capable starter.

For me I don't see Brohm getting traded period. He is a legit #2 and if something happens to Rodgers then he goes into the fire. We won't see anymore ironman like Favre for a very long time. The Packers need two reliable QB's thats what we have in Rodgers and Brohm.

texaspackerbacker
06-18-2008, 11:55 PM
With the plethora of NFL QB injuries these days, literally anything can happen. A lot of QBs have been successes starting from much humbler beginnings than Flynn.