PDA

View Full Version : Favre 'media cant let go again' returning article

packers11
06-18-2008, 11:19 AM
http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/brett-favre-skipping-out-on-celebrity-golf-tournament-18317

Favre Backing Out of Golf Tourney; Back in NFL?

NBC’s feeling mighty good about its golf ratings, thanks to Tiger Woods & the U.S. Open. But the Peacock’s promise of extending that success took a slight slice, as Brett Favre might be backing out of a celebrity tournament.

The CHICAGO TRIBUNE reports that the (still) retired (so far) Green Bay QB had agreed to take part in next month’s American Century Celebrity Golf Championship in Lake Tahoe. (Well, not actually in the lake, but near it.) But last Friday, Brett’s reps emailed NBC that Favre was “probably not coming” due to a “scheduling conflict.”

Tourney spokesman Phil Weidinger said that the reps didn’t elaborate on what exactly the conflict was. Wonder what it could be?

Maybe … Favre’s planning on coming back to the Pack?

Weidinger said Tuesday he didn’t know if Favre’s “conflict” could have anything to do with the possibility the three-time NFL MVP might end up returning next season.

Training camps will be in full swing by mid-July. And by then, Favre’s itch to get back onto Lambeau Field may develop into a full-blown rash.

On the other hand, Brett would be blowing the opportunity to tee it up with such sports stars as Michael Jordan, Mario Lemieux, Jerry Rice and Charles Barkley. And it’s not as if the golf outing would be a distraction to the gridiron, since current Cowboys QB Tony Romo also plans on attending.

Or maybe Brett’s realized that he just doesn’t like golf.

We personally encourage Favre to fly out to Tahoe for the tournament. He’s already given up his softball game, let’s hope he doesn’t skimp out on another charity sporting event.

Merlin
06-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Anything to sell media I guess...

The Leaper
06-18-2008, 12:59 PM
I guess he had a nap scheduled that he just couldn't get out of.

cpk1994
06-18-2008, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't really consider this to be "media" but whatever.

packers11
06-18-2008, 01:53 PM

well... other sites are reporting it too...

http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080618/SPORTS02/806180443/1018/SPORTS

Its only a matter of time before ESPN gets onto it... :lol:

cpk1994
06-18-2008, 02:03 PM

well... other sites are reporting it too...

http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080618/SPORTS02/806180443/1018/SPORTS

Its only a matter of time before ESPN gets onto it... :lol:OMG, not RGJ.com. I can't belive they would do such a dastardly.... Wait... what the hell is RGJ.com? :lol:

woodbuck27
06-18-2008, 09:35 PM
fr. article:

'' San Diego Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson, Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino, actor Aidan Quinn and Hall of Fame shortstop Ozzie Smith have all pulled out over the last month.''

Gee... could this mean that Dan Marino and/or Ozzie Smith are also returning to active play? :)

packers11
06-18-2008, 10:11 PM
pft.com

EVIDENCE OF A FAVRE COMEBACK?
Posted by Mike Florio on June 18, 2008, 10:53 p.m.
We’ve resisted mentioning this one ever since our friends at Sports By Brooks gave us the head’s up on Tuesday. Not because it’s not intriguing, but because we don’t care to sift through another 1,000 e-mails and/or comments begging us to allow the Great and Powerful Favre to remain retired.

Still, just in case it means Favre is secretly plotting a return, we need to mention this one.

Favre committed in May to participating in the American Century Celebrity Golf Tournament, which will be held on July 11 through 13 in Lake Tahoe. Five days ago, his people advised NBC that Favre is “probably not coming,” due to a scheduling conflict.

But if Favre is secretly planning to show up for the start of training camp, he’d still be able to play in the tournament. Training camp doesn’t open until July 28.

So we don’t think it’s evidence of anything, other than that Favre has changed his mind about spending a weekend in Tahoe. He still might change his mind about being retired, but the two events are, in our view, unrelated.