PDA

View Full Version : viking customers upset at Packer merchandise

CaliforniaCheez
06-18-2008, 07:23 PM
http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/randball/2008/06/17/tuesday-packers-our-second-home-team-edition-wha-happened/#comment-44015

It seems that a store in the MSP airport is the focus of this man’s ire. He explains early on that he is a HUGE Vikings fan, having watched them since the days of Tarkenton. He’s from Colorado but was here recently and actually got to meet Brad Childress, something he says “brought tears to my eyes.”

Here is a copy of his e-mail:

I was appalled when leaving Minnesota, in the airport, I wanted to purchase some Vikings trinkets for some Viking fans out here in Colorado. I walked into the [store] and there was a huge sign with two huge displays of Packer stuff and a sign stating that this was “Minnesota’s other home team.” I was so disgusted that I had to get out of there. There were other Viking fans in there also that were disgusted by the sign. I wrote a complaint card at the airport and sent it, and in there I wrote at the end they need to replace that sign with one that says, “This Is Viking Country.” Please help me in returning Minnesota’s airport to solely support their team. Let the cheeseheads buy their crap in Wisconsin!!!

While we’re assuming Childress has more pressing issues he’s working on — game-planning, headset adjustment, etc. — we thought we would at least do our best to get this injustice in front of the Vikings’ head coach. And while we have spared the offending store in question by removing its identifying name, said store knows what it has done. If a sternly worded comment card is not enough to cause this store to change the error of its ways, perhaps the good people of RandBall can weigh in with some “other” suggestions for how this transgression will be handled. For it is one thing for there to be Packers fans living here — they have a right to employment, housing and other civil liberties, won grudgingly in the landmark case of Favre v. Randle — this is not, in fact, their team’s second home.

Some whiney jerk complained to the Minneapolis Tribune that Packer merchandise was being sold at Minneapolis St.Paul International Airport. They were actually offended by capitalism and complained.

Now if you really have a sense of humor go to the link and read the comments posted to the Minneapolis Tribune on the story. The laughs are worth the effort.

Oh it warms my heart.

Check out the link to this book

https://www.millcitypublishing.com/image/product/50.jpg

https://www.millcitypublishing.com/order/default.aspx?siteid=49

HarveyWallbangers
06-18-2008, 09:12 PM
This cover is awesome!

https://www.millcitypublishing.com/image/product/50.jpg

gbgary
06-18-2008, 10:02 PM
minn's other home team...that's funny but i believe it. one of the biggest Packer fans i know was born and raised in minn.

Zool
06-18-2008, 10:11 PM
I would say 20-30% of the football fans I know are non-Viking fans with the majority being Packer fans. Are people too stupid to realize that before the Vikings existed it was Packer country for football and Cardinals country for baseball. Fathers pass the team allegiances down to their sons and daughters.

Stupid is as stupid does I guess.

Iron Mike
06-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Here is a copy of his e-mail:

I was appalled when leaving Minnesota, in the airport, I wanted to purchase some Vikings trinkets for some Viking fans out here in Colorado.

There are Queens fans in Colorado??? :roll:

What, are they stupid or something???

Iron Mike
06-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Some whiney jerk complained to the Minneapolis Tribune that Packer merchandise was being sold at Minneapolis St.Paul International Airport. They were actually offended by capitalism and complained.

My guess is that they were more offended by the fact that the Packer fans can purchase merchandise that has "World Champions" printed on it. :twisted:

the_idle_threat
06-19-2008, 07:41 AM
I'll bet Childress brings a lot of Vikings fans to the brink of tears.

mngolf19
06-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Everyone feel better now? Just kidding. Makes no difference to me if they have that sign up. It is a border city after all.

Badgerinmaine
06-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Good thing this guy from Colorado didn't go a couple miles southwest to the Mall of America, or he would have demanded they terminate the lease of the delightful Rybicki's Cheese Shop:
http://www.rybickicheese4u.com/
:P

I went to grad school at Minnesota, and I can tell you the Cities are loaded with Packers fans. I used to listen to what we called Radio Free Wisconsin (WEVR-FM from River Falls, "Your Good Neighbor in the Friendly Valley") for the Packers and Brewers games when I lived there.

And even if there weren't all those Pack fans in Minnesota, the Colorado guy needs to buy a map and get himself educated. The principal major airport for a large chunk of western Wisconsin is MSP. When I fly home to see family and friends in Wisconsin, I often change planes at CVG, the Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky Intl. Airport. And in Cincy's airport, you can find all sorts of Indy Colts stuff on sale. Do the Bengals hop up and down and complain about it? No, and they shouldn't because southeastern Indiana is a big part of the airport's market.

The clincher is that the store has apparently found a market of people that want Packers goods. If people didn't, they'd go out of business--and they haven't. Take THAT.

One last note: I don't have it anymore, but one of my favorite Packers shirts ever is one my wife bought for me at O'Hare Airport in Chicago. The fact that it came from there made me enjoy the shirt even more. :P

Lurker64
06-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Really asking people who own stores to not stock merchandise they expect to be able to sell is sort of unreasonable. There's one way to keep gear for rival sports teams out of your state, and that's make it so people in your state don't want it; and good luck with that.

CaliforniaCheez
06-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Another funny aspect is that the NFL revenue sharing rules all Packer merchandise sold at the MSP airport is shared equally among all teams. The Vikings make just as much money whether it is Viking or Packer merchandise purchased.

The infantile reaction is amazing.

Freak Out
06-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Vikings fans are pissed at the Packers again? What a shocker! You would think after all these years they have have gotten used to it.

DonHutson
06-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Vikings fans are pissed at the Packers again? What a shocker! You would think after all these years they have have gotten used to it.

No shit. They should just be happy they aren't selling Packers gear at the Humpty Dome... yet.