PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Sports Franchise Of All-Time

HarveyWallbangers
06-19-2008, 12:28 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/rank?versionId=1&listId=145

Vote! We are in 4th place--behind the Yankees, Celtics, and Lakers. One spot ahead of the Cowpokes.

FavreChild
06-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Huh. Seems like they are reaching a little bit to fill out the list. Plus, many voters aren't going to know the history of some of these franchises (or are likely to forget the past in favor of the present).

On the other hand, hard to argue with the top 4 - although naturally I'd like to see Titletown's team as #1. 8-)

The Leaper
06-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Can't put the Lakers ahead of the Packers...in fact, the Canadians IMO are a greater franchise than the Lakers. They just haven't done much recently and the NHL isn't what it used to be. Doesn't change the fact that Montreal dominated hockey for the better part of the last century.

DonHutson
06-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Thank God for ESPN, how would we ever know anything about sports history without a poll to settle it once and for all?

Hell, I'm so dumb I used to think Titletown was in Green Bay. But apparently it's really wherever ESPN says it is.

Please ESPN, cast light on my misperceptions and bury my lifelong opinions among the knee jerk reactions of the masses.

:roll:

FavreChild
06-19-2008, 10:54 AM
:lol:

True enough. But the bastards roped me into voting for my team, which pretty much accomplished their purpose, I guess - more clicks on their website means more ad $$$ for ESPN.

Guiness
06-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Can't put the Lakers ahead of the Packers...in fact, the Canadians IMO are a greater franchise than the Lakers. They just haven't done much recently and the NHL isn't what it used to be. Doesn't change the fact that Montreal dominated hockey for the better part of the last century.

Huh - someone from Ohio recognizing the greatness of a hockey franchise from Quebec? What is this world coming to? :D

The Canadians are indeed one of the great franchises, based on continued success. They've never had a long period of mediocrity, and have won at least one championship every decade the league has been in existence! I couldn't say for sure, but I think they still hold the record for most pro sports championships in North America - although the Yanks may have slipped by them.

packinpatland
06-19-2008, 12:12 PM
DAMN YANKEES!

gbgary
06-19-2008, 10:55 PM
one from each major sport...

yankees
celtics
canadians
Packers
Red Devils of Manchester United

:D