PDA

View Full Version : Woodson Leaves Without Contract

HarveyWallbangers
04-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Woodson visits, leaves without a deal
By Pete Dougherty, PackersNews.com

There was no quick signing following Charles Woodson’s free-agent visit with the Green Bay Packers.

Woodson, a cornerback-safety who is one of the top free agents still available this offseason, is believed to have left his visit to Green Bay on Monday without a contract, just as he left his recent visit to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

MJZiggy
04-03-2006, 07:45 PM
DETAILS!!!! Don't they know I need DETAILS??? I HATE half stories!!! what kind of journalistic crap is that??? Don't these people know how to find facts?

billy_oliver880
04-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Why has this signing been so darn drawn out? What is the big deal sign the guy and get on with it TT!

MadtownPacker
04-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Hmm Pickett left the same way...

I was down on Woodson cuz I am familiar with the raiders happenings but I really think TT needs to handle his business and get this done. Harris and Woodson alone would win some games.

Homer Jay
04-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Why do we always assume it's TTs fault when somebody leaves without a contract. Isn't it possible he was offered a contract and wants to think about it?

billy_oliver880
04-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Why do we always assume it's TTs fault when somebody leaves without a contract. Isn't it possible he was offered a contract and wants to think about it?

That is the truth. He could have an offer and they just won't say anything.

We know that he has the best scenario here.

He will start at CB right away for us.

He won't start for TB.

I would like to believe a guy who has started his whole career would not like to take a back seat. I certainly wouldn't. Of course I wouldn't mind being a 3rd string quarterback. :D

motife
04-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Woodson visits, leaves without a deal

By Pete Dougherty
PackersNews.com

There was no quick signing following Charles Woodson’s free-agent visit with the Green Bay Packers.

Woodson, a cornerback-safety who is one of the top free agents still available this offseason, is believed to have left his visit to Green Bay on Monday without a contract, just as he left his recent visit to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The Packers and Bucs appear to be the main teams pursuing Woodson, though the Seattle Seahawks, who need a starting cornerback, also might have some interest in the former Oakland Raiders’ first-round draft pick.

Woodson is one of three high-profile clients of agents Carl and Kevin Poston — linebacker LaVar Arrington and cornerback Ty Law are the others — who were looking for major paydays early in free agency but remain available because their price was too high for anyone to sign them during the first two weeks when the biggest contracts are paid. All signs suggest the Postons still are seeking elite-player money for all three and thus haven’t been quick to make a deal for any of them, though Woodson could get signed quickest because of the Packers’ and Bucs’ genuine interest.

Tampa Bay probably would play him at safety, whereas the Packers more likely would put him at left cornerback and turn Ahmad Carroll into their nickel back. Seattle also needs a starting cornerback after releasing Kevin Dyson this offseason.

Woodson, who turns 30 in October, was the fourth player selected in the 1998 draft and went to the Pro Bowl his first four seasons in the league. However, injuries have sidelined him for nearly half (21 of 48) of the Raiders’ games the past four seasons, including a broken leg that kept him out of 10 games last year.

Grey Ruegamer, a backup offensive lineman with the Packers the past three seasons, signed a one-year, veteran’s minimum contract worth $670,000 with the New York Giants. The Packers had signed Ruegamer as a free agent in 2003 but did not attempt to bring him back this offseason.

Bossman641
04-03-2006, 09:46 PM
I'll give TT a little bit of time on this one. Everybody was bustin his chops when Pickett left without a deal and we got him a day or so later.

I agree about Woodson too. He's always seemed to be cocky and have a little bit of a ego. I just can't see how he would be willing to move to nickelback for the Bucs.

imscott72
04-03-2006, 10:27 PM
I'll give TT a little bit of time on this one. Everybody was bustin his chops when Pickett left without a deal and we got him a day or so later.

I agree about Woodson too. He's always seemed to be cocky and have a little bit of a ego. I just can't see how he would be willing to move to nickelback for the Bucs.

Chances are he's looking at the overall picture, not just if he'll play CB or S. I'm sure he wants to play on a winning team and with Brett holding us hostage, who knows what we have going into next year.

MJZiggy
04-03-2006, 10:36 PM
I don't think he'd base a decision on that. If he thinks that highly of himself, he'd be the first to remind you that the Ravens won the SB while their offense was still trying to get beyond the preseason and Chicago won the division with Orton for God's sake. Brett helps a lot, but if he thinks the D will be good enough to carry the team, then it wouldn't influence his decision at all.

imscott72
04-03-2006, 10:38 PM
I don't think he'd base a decision on that. If he thinks that highly of himself, he'd be the first to remind you that the Ravens won the SB while their offense was still trying to get beyond the preseason and Chicago won the division with Orton for God's sake. Brett helps a lot, but if he thinks the D will be good enough to carry the team, then it wouldn't influence his decision at all.

Your right, IF our D was enough to carry us. Our D doesn't hold a candle to Chicago's or Baltimore's Super Bowl D right now...

MJZiggy
04-03-2006, 10:57 PM

Your right, IF our D was enough to carry us. Our D doesn't hold a candle to Chicago's or Baltimore's Super Bowl D right now...Perhaps if his head is inflated properly he believes his presence will make it so...

imscott72
04-03-2006, 11:01 PM

Your right, IF our D was enough to carry us. Our D doesn't hold a candle to Chicago's or Baltimore's Super Bowl D right now...Perhaps if his head is inflated properly he believes his presence will make it so...

We can only hope. Him and Harris manning the corners would be solid. Then all we need to work on is the dang linebackers and possibly another D Linemen..

HarveyWallbangers
04-03-2006, 11:50 PM
Reasons for Tampa Bay:
1) Better team
2) Better climate
3) Gruden

Reasons for Green Bay:
1) Could remain at corner
2) Better contract offer?

He may not want to move to safety, but it seems to me the bottom line is that the Packers will need to pay more than the Bucs to get him. Woodson would start at safety for Tampa Bay, so this talk of him being a nickelback is off.

No Mo Moss
04-04-2006, 02:27 AM
Well hopefully the PAckers can do the same sales job they did with Pickett on Woodson. I heard an interview with Pickett and he most definately is drinking the Kool Aid when it comes to where the packer defense will be next year. I suppose he has to speak the company line, but DT aren't very good actors and he was pretty convincing. IMO we are only a few moves away from a very quality defense the likes of which we haven't seen since the year started with a 19..

Anti-Polar Bear
04-04-2006, 04:34 AM
IMO we are only a few moves away from a very quality defense the likes of which we haven't seen since the year started with a 19..

Try to tell that to Thompson LAST SEASON. Let see here, 3 top offense and a defense with only 3-4 players away from contending for the SB. But fuck, Thompson fell in with love Freeman, Navies, Little, Thomas and Ray Thompson, not to mention Klemm, Rodgers, Murphy and Whitticker on offense.

You are delusional if you believe Thompson did not not screw up the Packers. The turn around from 10-6 divison champ to 4-12 bottom dweller is all the proof you need.

No Mo Moss
04-04-2006, 05:24 AM
Well who were they going to sign, we didn't have any money?

Fritz
04-04-2006, 05:27 AM
People seem to have a fascination with throwing money around. However, when you look at the last couple of Super Bowl teams, neither of them is known for employing this tactic. Wouldn't it be tempting to emulate the winners and not the Redskins and Vikings of this world?

HarveyWallbangers
04-04-2006, 07:36 AM
Fritz,

Glad your here. Love the avartar.

I don't think you can make a blanket statement that signing FAs isn't worth it. Most of us aren't saying we should go out and break the bank with a bunch of FAs, but the team has to have confidence in its personnel department and coaches and they should be targetting and getting a few good FAs with the money they have. We are in a great shape (like Minnesota last year) to sign some good FAs, but not hurt our future cap (by frontloading contracts). Say what you will, but the problem with Minnesota in 2005 wasn't the FAs they signed (it had to do with a porous OL and horrible QB play by Culpepper early). Most of the FAs they got played reasonably well or better (except Smoot). Pat Williams was a madman. Sharper went to the Pro Bowl. Travis Taylor added decent depth to their receiving corps. Sam Cowart started, and played okay. Fred Smoot was the only guy that sucked. Is there anybody that doesn't think Longwell and Hutchinson will be very good for them? I think Taylor will be good, as well. I think Leber and some others are question marks, but they improved their team with FAs the last two years. Too bad for them that they traded their playmakers, Culpepper and Moss, for little.

Bretsky
04-04-2006, 07:59 AM
FROM NFL NETWORK:

Favre, Woodson, Collins to make big decisions

By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

(April 3, 2006) -- One way or another, it now looks like cornerback Charles Woodson is going to wind up by the Bay -- either Green Bay or Tampa Bay.

Woodson spent today visiting Green Bay. One Packers official said the team has a "significant interest" in signing the former Raiders cornerback. It should.

The Packers need another cornerback to start opposite Al Harris, and signing him would allow Green Bay to move its 2004 first-round pick Ahmad Carroll to nickel back.

Charles Woodson was named to four Pro Bowl squads early in his career, but recent injuries have given GMs pause.
Then there is this factor, which could well be the deciding factor in where Woodson winds up: The Packers still have a bushel of salary-cap room available, whereas Tampa Bay does not.

Green Bay's biggest offseason moves were re-signing defensive end Aaron Kampman and running back Ahman Green, but just as notable, the team also lost kicker Ryan Longwell and center Mike Flanagan.

An NFL executive believes the Packers are feeling the pressure of signing a high-profile productive free agent, and there just aren't many more out there. Woodson is one of the last men standing. His addition would be a boost to the Packers roster and Green Bay's morale, especially while it awaits Brett Favre's decision.

And no one knows when Favre finally will announce his decision, but the football world is almost assured of hearing something this week.

Favre is hosting his annual golf tournament April 6-9 in Tunica, Miss. Tunica could be just the town and time for Favre to say, as many Packers officials expect, that the quarterback would like to return for one more season -- his last. Favre is expected to attend his golf tournament, and Packers fans would like to know whether their quarterback can be expected in Green Bay.

Deputy Nutz
04-04-2006, 09:04 AM
You gotta take the wait and see aproach. Woodson isn't going anywhere else for a visit. Now it comes down to where he wants to finish his career, and who is offering more money both in total contracts and in up front money. The Packers should have been able to offer the most money up front.

Spaulding
04-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Harvey, I agree with the majority of your comments but would think we'd have to be careful with the frontloading of the contracts depending on what motivates the player. Obviously in the case of Favre or Kampman we'd be well served in that it would come from this years cap money and not hurt us down the road but if the player (i.e. Woodson) isn't as competitive at this stage in his career or just looking to bank it might just be wasted money and the money thrown his way might adversely affect the chemistry of the team and the money asked by our upcoming FA's if they base their value on Woodson's contract.

I really think TT's year 3 is the one that will make or break him as if we buy into this theory of one year contracts to fine some gems that fit our system and then have the cap room to offer them extended contracts and if competitive then sign possibly a few upper echelon FA's in next year's offseason (hoping it's a better crop) then we may be back on track to being competitive for the next several years.

If this year is a wash like last year (with Klemm, O'Dwyer, Freeman, etc. not panning out) I'll likely be at the end of my patience level.

BooHoo
04-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Harvey, I agree with the majority of your comments but would think we'd have to be careful with the frontloading of the contracts depending on what motivates the player. Obviously in the case of Favre or Kampman we'd be well served in that it would come from this years cap money and not hurt us down the road but if the player (i.e. Woodson) isn't as competitive at this stage in his career or just looking to bank it might just be wasted money and the money thrown his way might adversely affect the chemistry of the team and the money asked by our upcoming FA's if they base their value on Woodson's contract.

I really think TT's year 3 is the one that will make or break him as if we buy into this theory of one year contracts to fine some gems that fit our system and then have the cap room to offer them extended contracts and if competitive then sign possibly a few upper echelon FA's in next year's offseason (hoping it's a better crop) then we may be back on track to being competitive for the next several years.

If this year is a wash like last year (with Klemm, O'Dwyer, Freeman, etc. not panning out) I'll likely be at the end of my patience level.

It would be hard to watch another 4-12 season. It would be like going back to the 1970's or so all over again. Let's not hope this is a Retro (losing) year. I would love to sign Woodson.

HarveyWallbangers
04-04-2006, 01:54 PM
From Fox Sports:

Reading between the lines, it appears the Bucs interest in Raiders defensive back Charles Woodson is for him to play safety.

Woodson visited One Buc Place last week but left without an offer from Tampa Bay. He became a free agent March 11 when the Raiders declined to use their franchise tag on him as they had the two previous seasons.

"Free agency is not just making acquisitions, it's the interview process," Gruden said. "Charles is a friend of mine and now that he's a free agent it's a chance to resume some friendships. I care about him. He's a great player and was a great player when I was with him, I know that. I look at Charles as a football player. That's how he won the Heisman Trophy, playing offense, playing defense. And as you watched him play (last) year, he played strong safety, free safety, left and right corner. He's a football player. His role, if we were to be able to get him, would be determined as the days unfold. He is a hell of a football player, a great guy and obviously we're pursuing him like a lot of other teams are."