PDA

View Full Version : Did Last Year's Wild Buffalo Ass Kickin', Scare Ted And M3?

son of a vic
06-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Family night is back once again, but absent is an opposing team to scrimmage. After the embarrassment they received during last year's family night scrimmage by the Bills, I wonder if that played into the decision to have the scrimmage in-house. That way the scrimmage can be controlled, and all the fans can go home with a good taste in their mouths, after watching a staged theatrical performance. No surpise blitzes, no opposing team to compete against, just a controlled atmoshere that will shine a positive light on the team.
Do I think this was a good move by John Jones and company? From a marketing standpoint, yes. But from a football standpoint, no. I think the more competition you can have in an unfriendly enviroment, can only make you better, and it might also reveal some weaknesses. It might give the coaches time to remedy the problems, before they start counting wins and losses for real.
Any theories or comments? Or is it just me spinning another conspired tangled web of venom?

red
06-06-2006, 06:40 PM
i think it was just a special two year deal, or maybe just a one night deal

it could be that it was just a special one time thing

Noodle
06-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Vic, this one isn't up to your usual provocative standards.

The Packers are scheduled to play 4 preseason games against real teams, the Chargers, Falcons, Bengals, and Titans. Same as everybody else in the league, I think. I don't think they lose much of an edge by using Family Night for a controlled intra-squad scrimmage.

If anything, by making it a scrimmage, this will be less disruptive of the camp schedule. Good move, I say.

GBRulz
06-06-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that more of these Family Night Tickets ended up in the hands of ticket brokers than the actual fans.

In years prior, the event took weeks to sell out. Last year, all tickets were gone within 3 hours mostly by ticket brokers. There was an article about this in the Press Gazette.

The Packers were hounded by complaints of how this is supposed to be a Family Night Affair, yet many had to shell out $40 a ticket in order to go. So, in order for them to get the situation under control, I'm sure they did away with the idea of scrimmaging against another team.

son of a vic
06-06-2006, 07:12 PM
So, are you saying a lot of the Packer fans that went to the scrimmage last year, went because they wanted to see the Bills and the Packers duel? I think who they scrimmage against, has absolutely nothing to do with how many tickets are sold. I think a lot of fans just go, because they want to pretend they are at a real sporting event, that's easy on the pocketbook.
Personally, I think anyone that spends a dime to watch a practice is a little nuts in the head," but it's free country, live like you want to live baby."
The quoted comment is from an oldies classic, any guesses ?

Ah spank me, this isn't a Packer related trivia question, so in fear of this thread getting demoted to the "room", the answer is Chuck Berry's "My ding-a-ling."

Now back to family night farce.(in my opinion.)

woodbuck27
06-06-2006, 07:19 PM
A nice break for a fun night all around with an inter - squad game and they have plenty of the REAL competition in Pre-Season anyway.

Homer Jay
06-06-2006, 07:52 PM
I believe they cancelled the scrimmage against the Bills because Brett Favre missed some practices. He also advised the team he had previous plans for any scrimmage they may schedule.

son of a vic
06-06-2006, 08:00 PM
More experience when real bullets are flying, is always a plus, especially with a young inexperienced unit. If I'm M3, i want to scrimmage as many teams as possible.

gbpackfan
06-06-2006, 08:08 PM
The scrimmage with Buffalo was a ONE TIME DEAL. I believe Buffalo's normal scrimmage partner had a new coach, Cleveland I think, and they did not want to scrimmage the Bills that year. Sherman told Buffalo that we would not go to their house because training camp in WI was too important to Packer fans.

woodbuck27
06-06-2006, 08:09 PM
I believe they cancelled the scrimmage against the Bills because Brett Favre missed some practices. He also advised the team he had previous plans for any scrimmage they may schedule.

Also, I understanfd that Mr.Favre has a preference for playing NFC teams, as he says their secondary's are better and more difficult to pass for TD's against. He says as proof in point - " look at all those TD's that Dan Marino got in his career and I want to be tested to the max."

son of a vic
06-06-2006, 09:18 PM
I just think it brings some fire to an otherwise boring practice, to see two different teams getting after it. Last year, the scrimmage showed how unprepared Sherman had his team, compared to Buffalo. Guess we'll have to wait til pre-season, to see how the newbie coach is doing. Maybe that's a good thing for some.The homers can keep the dream alive a little longer, before reality sinks in.

Bretsky
06-06-2006, 09:32 PM
I just think it brings some fire to an otherwise boring practice, to see two different teams getting after it. Last year, the scrimmage showed how unprepared Sherman had his team, compared to Buffalo. Guess we'll have to wait til pre-season, to see how the newbie coach is doing. Maybe that's a good thing for some.The homers can keep the dream alive a little longer, before reality sinks in.

Vic,

I couldn't agree more Vic; I like the format against another team. And it's never too early to get serious about things. And I'd agree that the preseason and sometimes the beginning of the season showed how unprepared Sherman was as well. All those who worshipped Mike Sherman for the turnarounds should have been focusing on the horrific starts as well.

I too would rather see another team coming into town.

Good points.

B

GBRulz
06-06-2006, 09:45 PM
While it's always good to play against another team, sure - it goes against what this night is all about..Family Night.

How many of you who live in WI have taken your entire family to a packer game? If you haven't, then why not?

Homer Jay
06-06-2006, 09:46 PM
I tried, but I couldn't find the info. Anybody know how many teams scrimmage against another team and how many don't? I think it would be interesting to compare.

Bretsky
06-06-2006, 09:49 PM
While it's always good to play against another team, sure - it goes against what this night is all about..Family Night.

How many of you who live in WI have taken your entire family to a packer game? If you haven't, then why not?

CUZ my daughers are 5 and 2 :mrgreen:

BUT TAYLOR DAYNE DID ATTEND HER FIRST BADGER FOOTBALL GAME AT AGE 4. Bit safer with no booze.

She had fun popcorn/hotdogs/etc.............

But while in the car I was explaining to her that we were going to see the Badgers play football and TD asked me why animals play football. I was stumped.

Bretsky
06-06-2006, 09:51 PM
I tried, but I couldn't find the info. Anybody know how many teams scrimmage against another team and how many don't? I think it would be interesting to compare.

Sorry, I'm just around for my charm and generalizations/arguments with minimal backing (my memory).

Research takes way too much long; if I'm desperate I call on the Fact Buster Patler.....Shamrock.

Cheers,
B

KYPack
06-07-2006, 07:42 AM
For some reason, the Bills came right off the wall last year and were hitting eveything in sight. I don't think it's a wise idea to scrimmage another team that early. Things can go wrong like they did last year in the Buffalo game.

There were a bunch of injuries in that game. You could argue that the game cost Cleditus Hunt his career. He never recovered from the dinging he got in that game. Someone mentioned that last year's game was a one shot, but they wouldn't reprise that game for all the tea in China.

Bretsky
06-07-2006, 07:52 AM
For some reason, the Bills came right off the wall last year and were hitting eveything in sight. I don't think it's a wise idea to scrimmage another team that early. Things can go wrong like they did last year in the Buffalo game.

There were a bunch of injuries in that game. You could argue that the game cost Cleditus Hunt his career. He never recovered from the dinging he got in that game. Someone mentioned that last year's game was a one shot, but they wouldn't reprise that game for all the tea in China.

Did Cledius Hunt ever have a career. I remember flashes of a half season before his contract year. That's about the only good I can remember.

FavreChild
06-07-2006, 07:52 AM
Sherman told Buffalo that we would not go to their house because training camp in WI was too important to Packer fans.

That's correct. Buffalo wanted to do a home-and-home, but we would never do that. Plus Buffalo is the only other NFL team that could generate attendance even close to what the Packers get for a "scrimmage."

So how fair is it to keep asking teams to come here for what basically equates to an extra pre-season game when we cannot and won't reciprocate? What motivation is there for other teams to do this? That's why it was only a one-time deal, as gbpackfan said.

Also, the small fee charged for admission to Family Night is only enough to cover the operational costs for hosting 70,000 people at Lambeau. They could charge a lot more if they wanted to, but it really is designed to be a way to see the team for people that can't afford to do it during the regular season. Great way to include a broader range of fans, and many who aren't as fortunate as most of us do appreciate it.

Fritz
06-07-2006, 08:21 AM

Vic,

I couldn't agree more Vic; I like the format against another team. And it's never too early to get serious about things. And I'd agree that the preseason and sometimes the beginning of the season showed how unprepared Sherman was as well. All those who worshipped Mike Sherman for the turnarounds should have been focusing on the horrific starts as well.

Good points.

B

So what good did it end up doing? The team went 4-12. Does this mean they'd have gone 3-13 if they hadn't gotten thrown around by the Bills?

Bretsky
06-07-2006, 08:54 AM

Vic,

Good points.

B

So what good did it end up doing? The team went 4-12. Does this mean they'd have gone 3-13 if they hadn't gotten thrown around by the Bills?

Maybe I read to much into it; in reality it did no good. In fact, Green Bay's performance against Detroit was one of the worst played opening games I've seen.

KYPack
06-07-2006, 10:58 AM

Did Cledius Hunt ever have a career. I remember flashes of a half season before his contract year. That's about the only good I can remember.

Ya got me there, Brets. I meant to put "career" in quotes LOL.

I never posted this last year, because figured nobody cared, but it fits in this thread. After Clete was cut by the Pack, he came down here and worked out for the Bengals coaches. They took a look and passed, but the stories drifted out after he left were kinda sad.

Hunt was very quiet, polite, almost withdrawn. He indicated a great desire to play, but the coaches were struck by how beat up he was. They warmed him up and told him to take a lap. It took him forever and a day to circle the field. He was very slow and limited in his work. At one point, he was unable to get in his stance.

The coaches were impressed by his earnest atitude, but Hunt appeared so beat to hell, none of 'em thought he'd be in any shape to play for at least a year or so. The overall impression was pretty sad, but it'll probably make all the Hunt haters happy.

MadtownPacker
06-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Sad was hunt not pushing himself to be the best he could be. He deserves to be where he is now.

Travbrew
06-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Mad,
My thoughts exactly.

son of a vic
06-08-2006, 08:02 PM
"GBMichele"While it's always good to play against another team, sure - it goes against what this night is all about..Family Night.

"How many of you who live in WI have taken your entire family to a packer game? If you haven't, then why not?"

There are a lot more fun things to do as a family, than watch a practice between third and fourth string players.

Camping, fishing, Brewer game ,Timber rattler game, hiking, cycling, flag day parade, are higher on the list . IMHO.

red
06-09-2006, 06:39 AM
"GBMichele"While it's always good to play against another team, sure - it goes against what this night is all about..Family Night.

"How many of you who live in WI have taken your entire family to a packer game? If you haven't, then why not?"

There are a lot more fun things to do as a family, than watch a practice between third and fourth string players.

Camping, fishing, Brewer game ,Timber rattler game, hiking, cycling, flag day parade, are higher on the list . IMHO.
i don't know about that SOV. if that were the case then why are there thousands and thousands of people along the fence at training camp?

people would form a crowd to watch a couple of third stringers ice fish as long as they were in uniform

and on family night you get to take your kids inside lambeau for mybe the first time and see the packer players running around in it. i heard tickets for the event are pretty cheap and easy to come by, its a nice alternative for the guy that can't afford to shell out 100's of dollars a ticket to get his kids inside lambeau for a real game.

FavreChild
06-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Plus you wouldn't WANT to take kids to watch a real game, because you would actually want to concentrate on what's happening. At family night, you're not gonna be ticked off if you miss a big play 'cause you had to take little Johnny to the bathroom.

And again, the cost is only enough to cover the operational expenses of opening Lambeau for the night. It's cheaper to go to Family Night than going to a movie.

MJZiggy
06-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Dang it, I wish I could go. Kid was just asking me last night when I'm going to take him to a football game. FC, your avatar went awol!

4and12to12and4
07-16-2006, 12:06 PM
I am taking my kids to Lambeau for the first time. Two daughters, 13 and 14. I am glad it is just a scrimmage of our defense and offense, because I can spend my time catering to my girls and just having fun without worrying about winning or losing. This was a great opportunity to get my family involved in my biggest passion, The Green Bay Packers, and it was so cheap!! I can't wait for August 5th!

By the way, my seats are at the south end zone. Will there be any opportunity before the game to maybe get some great pictures or maybe even an autograph by one the the Pack? Do they stretch in the end zone before the game, or is there an opportunity in the parking lot? Anything at all? Just looking for some pointers, I want to take full advantage of this situation.

GrnBay007
07-16-2006, 12:13 PM
4 & 12, are your daughters excited about going? I'm taking my kids to family night too. My son has already been to Lambeau for a game but my daughter has never been there. Right now she's not real thrilled but I know once she gets there she will be excited.

This will be my first "family night" experience so I'm not sure if there is a chance for autographs or anything. All I know is my friend in GB said they go early and tailgate.....I said tailgate for a scrimage???? lol diehards!! :D

Rastak
07-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Sherman told Buffalo that we would not go to their house because training camp in WI was too important to Packer fans.

That's correct. Buffalo wanted to do a home-and-home, but we would never do that. Plus Buffalo is the only other NFL team that could generate attendance even close to what the Packers get for a "scrimmage."

So how fair is it to keep asking teams to come here for what basically equates to an extra pre-season game when we cannot and won't reciprocate? What motivation is there for other teams to do this? That's why it was only a one-time deal, as gbpackfan said.

Also, the small fee charged for admission to Family Night is only enough to cover the operational costs for hosting 70,000 people at Lambeau. They could charge a lot more if they wanted to, but it really is designed to be a way to see the team for people that can't afford to do it during the regular season. Great way to include a broader range of fans, and many who aren't as fortunate as most of us do appreciate it.

Actually I don't think it is correct. GB didn't want to lose the camp time to travel, not because fans like training camp. If that's how they make their decisions they should probably be fired immediately.

4and12to12and4
07-16-2006, 02:13 PM
Grnbay 007, how old are you're children?

That's funny. My daughters aren't exactly excited about it right now either. Teenage girls. I expected that. My oldest daughter, Tori, loves going to church to see her friends, and when she found out that we were staying overnight Friday and Saturday she was disappointed that she was gonna miss church (not for spiritual reasons, for social reasons :roll: ). That is why I'm glad it won't be an actual game. This way I can just relax and have a good time with them. My agenda is to hopefully spread a little of my passion for the Pack to my babies. I hope they have a good time. I will probably take them to the Hall of Fame, etc. earlier on Saturday.

Where are you sitting? I'm 170 miles away from my tickets, and can't remember my exact seat, I know it is in the south endzone somewhere around the 30something row. Maybe I'll see you out there!

GrnBay007
07-16-2006, 02:58 PM
My daughter is 12 and son is 10. He's already a diehard Packer fan.....she needs a little work yet.....that weekend will do the trick I'm convinced :D I don't have my tickets yet either, my friend in De Pere has them. I know we are near the endzone, not sure of the exact seat yet. I'll let you know. Sounds like a fun day/night!!!

Anti-Polar Bear
07-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Back in '98, I got ahold of 4 family nights tickets (for my exwife, me, our son and daughter), but I sold them to a ticket broker for 7 times their face value, like any good businessman would. That's how my ex wife became my ex wife. But in truth she just wants to live off child support from moi. Her name is GrnBay007. :wink:

GBRulz
07-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Back in '98, I got ahold of 4 family nights tickets (for my exwife, me, our son and daughter), but I sold it to a ticket broker for 7 times their face value, like any good businessman would. That's how my ex wife became my ex wife. But in truth she just wants to live off child support from moi. Her name is GrnBay007. :wink:

Back in 1998 Family Night didn't exist.

Joemailman
07-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Packers won't accept invite
Trip to Bills' camp out, Sherman says
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Green Bay - Even though from most accounts the Green Bay Packers and Buffalo Bills both received invaluable preparatory work during their two-day practice session together, they won't conduct a joint workout again next year.

The agreement between the teams was only for one year and the next time the Bills practice with another team it will be at their training camp home at St. John Fisher College in Rochester, N.Y. If the Packers want to practice with the Bills again, they'll have to pack their bags.

"They're welcome to come to our place next year," Bills general manager Tom Donahoe said. "We'll invite them right now."

The Bills agreed to come to Green Bay without a home-and-home agreement because they were scheduled to practice against Cleveland but lost the date when the Browns hired a new coach and decided they didn't want to practice against another team.

The Packers hadn't practiced with another team since 1991, but given the civility of the two days of work with the Bills they'll probably be willing to do it again. The problem is they're not going to leave home to do it, and it's unlikely they'll find many teams that are willing to do it without a home-and-home agreement.

"We can't give up our day," coach Mike Sherman said. "We're not going to go anywhere. Our fans plan to come here and plan vacations. We were never going to leave Green Bay, so to have a reciprocal process with somebody else is not going to happen.

"In order to have someone come here, they'd have to come to us and not expect anything in return in regard to us going to them. Buffalo agreed to do that because they had a vacancy from a year with Cleveland. That was part of it."

The number of teams that practice with one another has diminished greatly in recent years, in part because more and more teams are practicing at their own facility and not at a college setting. Thus, the proximity of their camp to another isn't what it was. Also, some teams fear the fights and injury risk when emotions spin out of control.

This summer only nine teams are taking part in joint practices or scrimmages with NFL competitors, and it's questionable whether the Packers would be able to get someone to come to their camp next year.

This article from last August would seem to disprove the suggestion that the current staff was "scared off" by what happened last year.

Anti-Polar Bear
07-16-2006, 09:36 PM
Back in '98, I got ahold of 4 family nights tickets (for my exwife, me, our son and daughter), but I sold it to a ticket broker for 7 times their face value, like any good businessman would. That's how my ex wife became my ex wife. But in truth she just wants to live off child support from moi. Her name is GrnBay007. :wink:

Oh, sorry, i mean '99. :oops:

HarveyWallbangers
07-16-2006, 09:37 PM
I've tailgated at family night before. It's great. You can wear shorts and t-shirt. I don't remember how the autograph situation was, but I think you can get into the stadium early and go down to the field and there are players signing stuff. I know they randomly give out about 20-25 sweaty jerseys after the game. My wife wanted Javon Walker's jersey and we were one section and almost the exact row and seat away. We thought we had it. Good thing she didn't win it though. I would have had to burn it.

GrnBay007
07-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Back in '98, I got ahold of 4 family nights tickets (for my exwife, me, our son and daughter), but I sold them to a ticket broker for 7 times their face value, like any good businessman would. That's how my ex wife became my ex wife. But in truth she just wants to live off child support from moi. Her name is GrnBay007. :wink:

:roll:

...it sure is hard trying to live off that $200 a month....when u gonna get a real job???? :razz: :wink:

Anti-Polar Bear
07-16-2006, 09:53 PM
...it sure is hard trying to live off that $200 a month....when u gonna get a real job???? :razz: :wink:

I make $5000 k a month, but you faked a tear in court and got the judge to force me to give up 92% of my income, as child support. Its all your fault. Why are you blaming me? You're the one who took my money. :mad:

GrnBay007
07-16-2006, 10:01 PM

I make $5000 k a month, but you faked a tear in court and got the judge to force me to give up 92% of my income, as child support. Its all your fault. Why are you blaming me? You're the one who took my money. :mad:

We're not talking about your allowance from daddy here (5,000)

I was right....92% of your income = $200/mo :razz:

Anti-Polar Bear
07-16-2006, 10:10 PM
I was right....92% of your income = $200/mo :razz:

Look, we would still be together if you hadnt cheated on me with the guy next door. You couldnt trust me enough to believe that I am NOT cheating on you while I was away on business trips. You fucked the guy next door, then you convinced the judge, through lie, to force me to pay 92% of my income to you. You are nothing but a gold digger.

MJZiggy
07-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Looks like she lost interest and left you again. :lol:

Anti-Polar Bear
07-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Looks like she lost interest and left you again. :lol:

Whatever woman. I was bored and I am done with this thread.

GrnBay007
07-16-2006, 10:26 PM
Beware....tank is entering one of his delusional states. Prepare yourselves for a song about Ted Thompson.

Anyway, to get this thread back to topic..........I have a feeling one of our seats will be picked to win Hawks sweaty jersey!!! :mrgreen:

MadtownPacker
07-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Has anyone bothered to point out to Sov that that very prepared bills team he spoke of went 5-11 last season?

Sure did them alot of good, didnt it Sov?

Deputy Nutz
07-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Did anyone else realize that Bretsky named his kid after a mediocre Rock band from the late 80s, early 90s. You know the song, "Simply the Best" Yep thats right thats a Taylor Dayne Song.

Actually Bretsky named his kid after Lawrence Taylor, and Ronald Dayne. Very nice.

4and12to12and4
07-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Holy shit, is Grnbay 007 and anti-polar really a divorced couple both members here, or is this just a joke. I'm new here, excuse me for my ignorance.

MJZiggy
07-17-2006, 12:48 PM
It's just a joke...

Anti-Polar Bear
07-17-2006, 05:13 PM
It's just a joke...

The part about GrnBay007 letting the guy next door top her, that aint no joke. 98% of all divorces are caused by one partner or both cheating on each others. 007 had a plan and her plan was to take 92% of her ex's income.

MJZiggy
07-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Gee, Tank, how do you know it wasn't him and not 007?

Anti-Polar Bear
07-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Gee, Tank, how do you know it wasn't him and not 007?

I was a private investigator, and I saw her and him do it with my own eyes.

HarveyWallbangers
07-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Did anyone else realize that Bretsky named his kid after a mediocre Rock band from the late 80s, early 90s. You know the song, "Simply the Best" Yep thats right thats a Taylor Dayne Song.

Actually Bretsky named his kid after Lawrence Taylor, and Ronald Dayne. Very nice.

I thought Tina Turner sang Simply The Best?

GBRulz
07-17-2006, 06:06 PM

Oh, sorry, i mean '99. :oops:

Come on Tank, gotta try harder. Seeing that Family Night didn't even sell out in 1999, I doubt a ticket broker would pay 7 times face value.

Anti-Polar Bear
07-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Come on Tank, gotta try harder. Seeing that Family Night didn't even sell out in 1999, I doubt a ticket broker would pay 7 times face value.

I had some good seats, i think.

Bretsky
07-17-2006, 06:23 PM

In all seriousness my daughter's middle name initial was named after Ron Dayne. Went to a ton of Badger games in the Ron Dayne Era as well as a wonderful Pasedena vacation the year they beat Cade McNown and UCLA. Badger games had a great impact on personal life pre marriage.

After we named her, somebody emailed me and thought it was great that we named our kid after a famous singer. I emailed back and asked WTF are you talking about ?

Cheers,
B

GrnBay007
07-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Holy shit, is Grnbay 007 and anti-polar really a divorced couple both members here, or is this just a joke. I'm new here, excuse me for my ignorance.

What a scarey thought! sry for the confusion 4 &12....the only "history" the anti-polar and I share is arguing in the forums. :cool:

GrnBay007
07-17-2006, 10:36 PM
It's just a joke...

The part about GrnBay007 letting the guy next door top her, that aint no joke. 98% of all divorces are caused by one partner or both cheating on each others. 007 had a plan and her plan was to take 92% of her ex's income.

blah blah blah, wrong wrong wrong....no guy next door tanky. And I'll let you in on a lil secret too.....he pays more a month for a truck payment than the does for cs. In this state cs is determined by both spouses income....at the time of the D, my income was almost twice his. Don't you care how stupid you look when you start posting stuff you know nothing about?

Anti-Polar Bear
07-18-2006, 12:40 AM
Beware....tank is entering one of his delusional states. Prepare yourselves for a song about Ted Thompson.

Done. I wrote chapter 12 for you, 007, and for you only (with the help of John Lennon). It is in the romper room. Hope you enjoy it. :)