PDA

View Full Version : Humphrey Getting Props from Harris

vince
06-21-2008, 10:42 PM
I hope he can stay healthy this year, so we can all see what he's got... With Finley looking like a bit of a project - at least for this year, we need another TE to produce...

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/291227

Packers: Humphrey has a fan in Harris

By JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com
GREEN BAY -- Al Harris wondered, too.

Like many Green Bay Packers fans, the veteran cornerback sort-of knew who Tory Humphrey was -- tight end, No. 84 -- but wondered why the team was keeping him around. After all, in three years, Humphrey has yet to catch a single regular-season NFL pass.

But then Harris showed up for last week's organized team activity practices -- after missing the first two weeks of OTAs -- and saw Humphrey again.

"That dude is good," said Harris, whose debut coincided with Humphrey being medically cleared for drills. "No joke."

Harris' endorsement helps explain why the Packers have been so patient with Humphrey, who spent last season on injured reserve after breaking his left ankle a little more than an hour into the first practice of training camp.

After seeing what Humphrey did as part of the offseason conditioning program and in last year's OTAs and minicamp practices general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy felt it was worth the wait for Humphrey to get healthy.

"We felt like he'd had a very, very good offseason last year. And then dadgum it if it wasn't the first day of practice he got hurt," Thompson said Thursday, following the team's final OTA practice. "Quite frankly, he shows a lot of skill for the position. We think his injuries have been unfortunate. When he's out there, he looks good. We're hoping to start anew with him -- a new lease on life where he stays injury-free.

"I think it could be a win-win for everybody. But we'll see. We have a long way to go."

No one knows that better than Humphrey, who has been trying to make it in the NFL since entering the league with Indianapolis as an undrafted free agent out of Central Michigan in 2005. An underused four-year starter (68 catches for 862 yards for his career), Humphrey spent about a month with the Colts before being released. The Packers brought him to training camp but cut him after 26 days.

He went home to Michigan -- his high-school sweetheart wife, Ebony, was finishing her nursing degree at Michigan State -- and waited not-so-patiently for another chance. He was on the verge of taking a job at UPS when the Packers called in November and signed him to the practice squad. He spent six weeks there before being promoted to the 53-man roster for the season finale.

Humphrey spent the following spring playing in NFL Europe, then made the roster coming out of training camp, seeing action in seven of the first nine games of 2006. But he suffered a season-ending hamstring injury in November and finished the year on injured reserve. Then came the training-camp injury that shelved him for all of last season and required surgery.

"When I first got hurt, it was like, 'Here we go again.' I mean, I knew at some point I would be back, but it was like, 'I can't believe it happened again,' '' said the 6-foot-2, 250-pound Humphrey, who first was on crutches, then had to use an awkward scooter to get around before finally running again in December. "Everyone has injuries at some point. Mine have been more serious than most. But it's just something I have to fight through."

Like his college teammate, Packers defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins, the 25-year-old Humphrey keeps fighting because he has a family to feed. He and Ebony have three kids -- 6-year-old Kahnya, 3-year-old Naliya, and 9-month-old and Tory Jr. -- while Jenkins and his high-school sweetheart, Pashun, have two. Both have been on the verge of giving up on their NFL dreams, so as family guys who made it here the hard way, they know not to take anything for granted.

Which brings us back to Harris' comment. After practice, when Humphrey learned of Harris' assessment, he was genuinely touched.

"Al Harris said that?" said Humphrey, who got extra reps Thursday with rookie third-round pick Jermichael Finley out with a bruised knee. "That's a pretty nice compliment. That's the highest compliment you can get from a teammate.

"I'm just glad (the Packers) still like me, they still believe in me. When I 'm walking in the building sometimes, I get taken aback that I'm here, after all I've been through."

mraynrand
06-21-2008, 10:53 PM
dadgum it?

Joemailman
06-21-2008, 11:20 PM
MM was singing his praises last year until he got hurt. Hopefully he won't have any collisions with Will Blackmon. We might lose them both on one play.

bobblehead
06-22-2008, 12:07 AM
I'm kinda sad for losing NFL europe, guys like tory probably won't be given the same chance in the future. (and cullen Jenkins.)

GrnBay007
06-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Here's to Humphrey having a great season! :clap: He's been waiting and been through a lot. Your time to shine Tory!!

Lurker64
06-22-2008, 01:41 AM
I'm kinda sad for losing NFL europe, guys like tory probably won't be given the same chance in the future. (and cullen Jenkins.)

Atari Bigby too.

mission
06-22-2008, 01:57 AM

Atari Bigby too.

was just gonna say ...

man... im pretty drunk and stoned but i really need to get me a bigby jersey...

- guy who is against wearing other men's jerseys usually

RashanGary
06-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Damn, you can't help but root for this guy.

Tarlam!
06-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Damn, you can't help but root for this guy.

There are 87 guys as of today that I can't help but root for.

On the one hand, it's too bad we can't keep em all, on the other, the competition to be one of 53 is stimulated by the situation.

Every time we cut someone, I feel a twinge. It's like the culling of the elephants in Africa. Ya gotta love elephants, right? But if their population goes unchecked, they'll kill everything.

That's how I feel about the culling of our roster.