PDA

View Full Version : 2008 PACKERS, what do you expect?

RashanGary
06-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Offense:

#5 overall offense (high passing offenses always rank much higher than high rushing offenses)
#3 passing offense
#10 rushing offense (They want to run a zone scheme but still have valuable pieces left that can't zone block. This makes it hard to gain identity in the run game)

Defense:

#7 overall defense
#9 passing defense (pass rush from D-line is weak point of defense)
#5 rushing defense

Special Teams:

#3 overall Special teams (Could be #1 if Blackmon has a good year returning)
#7 in returns (If Blackmon is healthy all year, I think we can be better)
#1 in coverage (we will beat teams down on kick and punt coverage)

Overall:

One of the most balanced teams in the NFL. Upper teir offense, Very good defense and great special teams. I see another playoff run with legit SB contention. We can even sustain a handfull of injuries because many of our backups are as good as the starters on last years 13-3 team.

Lurker64
06-22-2008, 08:57 PM
A playoff berth, nothing more, nothing less.

Zool
06-22-2008, 09:00 PM
10-11 wins and the NFC North crown with a home playoff win.

Gonna be a tall order with a first time starter at QB, but with a solid running game, good WR's and an above average D average QBs become good QBs. Its just such a crap shoot without Favre. Now I know how other teams fans feel.

Tony Oday
06-22-2008, 09:53 PM
10-6. Legit shot at the title with a younger QB that will play within the offense. I am also not buying a Grant Jersey so I suspect, if the past is any indication, that he will have a great year!

I really do not see much in the way of a deep playoff run if Rogers can stay healthy and play within the offense.

Joemailman
06-22-2008, 10:13 PM
They should win the NFC Norris. If the O-Line improves a bit, Rodgers can handle the job/stay healthy, and Harris/Woodson have another good year in them, they could be as good as last year.

bobblehead
06-22-2008, 10:27 PM
I disagree with the OL comment from harrel, I think the only piece we have that isn't "cut/zone" block type is LT and I don't see that changing. LT is such an important position from a pass blocking standpoint that you need that wall there, even after clifton I think we will stick with a standard type there (college is my guess). The rest of the guys on the roster fit right in, even tauscher.

Its hard to predict so much, is blackman healthy as a returner, does grant sign, how good will rogers be, will BJack improve enough, does jolly break out as he looked to be doing, does harrel contribute....all things that factor in.

What I expect is we are competitive every week and win 10-11 games depending on rogers...and as he goes, so goes the pack in the playoffs.

oregonpackfan
06-22-2008, 11:22 PM
I would like 10-6, the NFC North title and 1 playoff win. Anything more is icing on the cake.

GrnBay007
06-22-2008, 11:44 PM
I expect to get to 2 games this year at Lambeau.

I expect heartache not seeing #4 out there.

I expect excitement in seeing what #12 will do.

I expect the Packers to make the playoffs.....as usual. :D

texaspackerbacker
06-23-2008, 12:04 AM
The 13-3 from Justin's post seems pretty realistic. I can't see the Packers as being a clear underdog to anybody, but undoubtedly, there will be in the neighborhood of three slip-ups.

This would be contingent on not having an extreme run of injuries like a couple of years ago and on having Grant play--which I am not too worried about.

I could see the O Line be more cohesive and effective due to experience playing together. I could see Rodgers having overall, as good a season as Favre last year--better than the year before, a little less spectacular, but also with a few less errors. I see superstardom for Grant, and the receivers to be even better than last year--Jones stepping up and Nelson contributing.

I see Harrell be a real force at DT--unless injuries mess things up. I see the back seven as solid, including a comeback for Harris from his late fade last year.

run pMc
06-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Well, just to be contrarian:

I see Ryan Grant holding out until TC and then getting hurt.
I could see Woodson and Harris show their age overnight.
I could see Clifton's wheels fall off, with nobody else consistently & capably filling in.
I could see A-Rod get hurt by week 4 and a too-green Brohm get thrust into the starter's role...and struggle.
I could see GJ's hammy or ankle act up again, and JJ have a soph slump.
I could see J.Allen and M.Williams shoring up the Vikes D.
I could see AD running wild on the tundra and A-Rod trying to do too much on MNF while Favre looks on.

I expect to be wrong by the "reverse-jinx" rule. I'd love to see them repeat as NFCN champs and get a bye, but I'd take 9-7 and a wildcard.

The Leaper
06-23-2008, 09:34 AM
#5 overall offense
#3 passing offense
#10 rushing offense

Brett Favre played nearly as well as any QB could last season to reach the passing figures Green Bay achieved last year. I can't see a first time starter at QB matching Favre's 2007 performance. #3 passing team in the NFL? Can't see it.

I'm expecting GB's offense to be around 10th-12th best in the NFL next season.

#7 overall defense
#9 passing defense
#5 rushing defense

I'm expecting the Packer defense to be better than the offense. Guys like Hawk, Bigby, Rouse, Pop, Jolly and Harrell should all continue to improve. The only weak link I see is depth at cornerback and on the DL. I'm guessing a ranking of 8th-10th best in the NFL is attainable.

Special teams are hard to quantify, but Thompson's focus on youth will continue to pay dividends on coverage units...plus, we have a top 8 placekicker and should have a capable punter. Getting some production out of the return guys will make this unit elite.

The Packers and Vikings to me are co-favorites in the North...both capable of posting double digit wins. Whoever doesn't win the division likely will be in the race for a wild card spot. The Packer/Viking games should be great matchups this fall.

LL2
06-23-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm expecting 11 wins and at least the 2nd round of the playoffs.

ARod MVP!

Brohm
06-23-2008, 09:58 AM
11-12 wins, first round playoff win minimum.

MJZiggy
06-23-2008, 06:36 PM
I expect a Super Bowl Championship. Go in expecting any less and you get what you expect.

Bretsky
06-23-2008, 08:42 PM
make playoffs

oregonpackfan
06-23-2008, 11:34 PM
I expect a Super Bowl Championship. Go in expecting any less and you get what you expect.

Not necessarily true, MJ. Last year, I expected the Packers to go 9-7 and maybe squeak into a wildcard spot.

Instead, they went 13-3, won the NFC-North, and barely lost the NFC Championship game in overtime.

MJZiggy
06-24-2008, 06:21 AM
That's because M3 didn't share your expectation. Good thing he shares mine, huh?

GBRulz
06-24-2008, 11:53 AM
I expect to wipe that smart-ass grin off Lovey Smith's face.

Zool
06-24-2008, 12:22 PM
I expect to wipe that smart-ass grin off Lovey Smith's face.

I believe you'll have to wait in line behind Wrex for that. He should have that smile gone by week 2.

Gunakor
06-24-2008, 12:30 PM
13-3 sounds like a reasonable expectation again this year looking at the schedule. Dallas has never won a game in Green Bay, and I don't expect them to this year. We'll probably lose to Indianapolis at home and to Jacksonville on the road. 5-1 in the division, splitting the series with the Vikings. On paper, these are the only games we should lose. The MNF game at New Orleans could be tuff too, but I think GB wins that one having a better defense. Even if we lost that one, I still think 12-4 wins the NFC North and probably earns a playoff bye.

Joemailman
06-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Winning 13 games again this year is possible, but that is tough to do in consecutive years. Not since New England in 2003 and 2004 has a team won 13 or more games in consecutive years. Of course, that New England team will likely go down as one of the best ever.