PDA

View Full Version : Culpepper turned back $1 million

digitaldean
06-23-2008, 09:13 PM
http://www.ocala.com/article/20080622/SPORTS/806220304/1026

He had a 1 year, $1 million offer from TT and turned it down cold. He's so deluded thinking he's starting QB material.

Hope he's going to enjoy his free time, because he won't be signed during training camp. He may get picked up as an emergency backup during the season due to an injury somewhere, but that's it.

Lurker64
06-23-2008, 10:39 PM
I hope he has a really comfortable couch, since he's unlikely to be getting his roll on any time soon.

oregonpackfan
06-23-2008, 11:47 PM
The Packers' offer was generous, IMO. Culpepper should have jumped on it.

If he waits too long, he may end up signing a contract half the size the Packers offered and may end up with a team destined to go 4-12.

twoseven
06-24-2008, 04:23 AM
"It just wasn't good for either side," said Culpepper

So, it wasn't good for GB, even though they made the offer. Glad to know Dante has such a connection with TT's mind that he could see through the stoic gaze of Ted and figure out the offer would have broken our back financially. Maybe he was just being nice, realizing he wasn't worth the mil per year?

sheepshead
06-24-2008, 07:02 AM
Clean up in aisle 5.

GrnBay007
06-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Clean up in aisle 5.

:lol: :lol:

red
06-24-2008, 07:49 AM
thank god

at least someone has half a brain enough to keep that washed up piece of garbage out of here

GBRulz
06-24-2008, 08:14 AM
THANK YOU DAUNTE !!!

sharpe1027
06-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Maybe he was just being nice, realizing he wasn't worth the mil per year?

I'm guessing that must have been it. Thank you Duante.

Patler
06-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Why? Does he have very poor penmanship? Hopefully, his greatest value would be as a note taker while Rodgers takes every snap from center!

Guiness
06-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Unsure how to feel about this...

If Rodgers ends up being 'the guy' than it would have been better for the Pack to sign Daunte...and use that second round pick on another position.

If Rodgers doesn't work out, then we're better off with Brohm waiting in the wings, giving us another kick at the can to find our next QB, instead of having a stopgap retread back there.

If Rodgers works out, but is out for a couple of weeks at some point due to a small injury, we would probably be better off with Daunte stepping in than Brohm. But that's an unknown.

So, by my count, the tally is 1-1-1 in favor/against/draw as to whether or not this would have been a good signing for the Pack. For the record, I think at this point he will not end up anywhere, because all he's going to get offered now is the vet minimum, and I don't think he'll play for that.

Partial
06-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Dante's got plenty of ching. Quite frankly I wouldn't risk my body for a mil or year either if I am making that annually in interest sitting on the couch.

DonHutson
06-24-2008, 10:48 AM
He apparently wants a chance to start. Can't blame him for that. I don't think he's starting caliber anymore, but his standards for his career should be higher than my standards for his career.

So if he decided to pursue another opportunity instead of coming here to sulk and be a distraction, then I think he made a good decision. Probably a better decision than the one Ted made to offer him the job in the first place.

Patler
06-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Dante's got plenty of ching. Quite frankly I wouldn't risk my body for a mil or year either if I am making that annually in interest sitting on the couch.

He certainly isn't poor, but he never really got a big contract (in QB dollars) from anyone. He has made a little over $35 million in total compensation in the 8 years since 2000. How do you expect him to live on that? :lol:

Of course, his salaries go farther. Doesn't he represent himself, without an agent? I think he did at one time.

run pMc
06-24-2008, 10:51 AM
He didn't react well to pressure, and got seem to get confused by some coverages.
That aside, I'm not convinced Culpepper is a good WCO QB. Leftwich is out there, and I don't see a lot of difference between them.
I won't shed any tears for not signing Daunte. GB can do better. I think TT will stick with Rodgers, Brohm and Flynn unless they totally flop in TC.

Guiness
06-24-2008, 11:20 AM
He apparently wants a chance to start. Can't blame him for that. I don't think he's starting caliber anymore, but his standards for his career should be higher than my standards for his career.

So if he decided to pursue another opportunity instead of coming here to sulk and be a distraction, then I think he made a good decision. Probably a better decision than the one Ted made to offer him the job in the first place.

Good point DH, and it may have actually been mature of him to decline if TT said he would not have the opportunity to challenge for the starting position. If that's the case then he's right that it wasn't good for either side.

Pugger
06-24-2008, 11:43 AM
I don't blame TT for offering Daunte a contract. But if DC wants to start then he made a good decision to turn it down. But now after all this time without any offers I wonder if Culpepper is regretting making that decision...? :roll:

I really think TT is going to wait and try to sign another veteran QB later this summer. Some team is gonna cut a servicable vet QB that we can get "for free" (without making a trade) off the waiver wire during training camp.

The Leaper
06-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Leftwich is out there, and I don't see a lot of difference between them.

Huh?

Culpepper: 22,400 yds, 142 TD, 94 INT, career 89.9 rating
Leftwich: 9,300 yds, 52 TD, 38 INT, career 79.7 rating

I don't think the two are comparable. Culpepper is a better QB than Leftwich. Leftwich is not very accurate and is probably even more of an injury concern than Daunte is...which is saying something.

Thompson was wise to offer a deal...and Culpepper was probably wise to turn it down with no chance to be the starter. If Brohm doesn't impress early and Culpepper doesn't draw much interest by August, there still is a chance Culpepper lands in GB.

Tony Oday
06-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Leftwich is out there, and I don't see a lot of difference between them.

Huh?

Culpepper: 22,400 yds, 142 TD, 94 INT, career 89.9 rating
Leftwich: 9,300 yds, 52 TD, 38 INT, career 79.7 rating

I don't think the two are comparable. Culpepper is a better QB than Leftwich. Leftwich is not very accurate and is probably even more of an injury concern than Daunte is...which is saying something.

Thompson was wise to offer a deal...and Culpepper was probably wise to turn it down with no chance to be the starter. If Brohm doesn't impress early and Culpepper doesn't draw much interest by August, there still is a chance Culpepper lands in GB.

WHOA WHOA no way. Im sorry but when Pepper was putting those numbers up that make his stats look SO good he had the best WR corp in the NFL. Also what isnt in the stats is the amount of fumbles this guy had. He is a 2 progression passer that has a primary WR and then dumps it off.

HarveyWallbangers
06-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Before his injury, Culpepper was considerably better than Leftwich. Culpepper isn't the same player, but Leftwich just isn't very good. His arm strength isn't bad, but he has a long delivery, ordinary accuracy, and zero mobility. Culpepper on one leg has tons more mobility that Byron Leftwich. Hell, Drew Bledsoe might have more mobility than Leftwich.

Patler
06-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Before his injury, Culpepper was considerably better than Leftwich. Culpepper isn't the same player, but Leftwich just isn't very good. His arm strength isn't bad, but he has a long delivery, ordinary accuracy, and zero mobility. Culpepper on one leg has tons more mobility that Byron Leftwich. Hell, Drew Bledsoe might have more mobility than Leftwich.

However, Leftwich is more mobile than Lynn Dickey was! :lol:

red
06-24-2008, 02:23 PM

correction

before randy moss left him, culpepper was the better qb. after moss left pepper showed he was below average

as myself and rastak have said many times, culpepper played around half a season before his injury the year moss was gone

and he looked like shit, worse then shit. he had the worst stats in the nfl up until his injury

The Leaper
06-24-2008, 03:20 PM
and he looked like shit, worse then shit. he had the worst stats in the nfl up until his injury

And none of that had to do with coaching? Tice was a pathetic coach who squandered what was a reasonably talented roster, and allowed the team to become an undisciplined and rowdy lot.

Culpepper certainly has flaws in his game...but in terms of being a QB, he's clearly more talented than Leftwich.

Partial
06-24-2008, 03:30 PM

He certainly isn't poor, but he never really got a big contract (in QB dollars) from anyone. He has made a little over $35 million in total compensation in the 8 years since 2000. How do you expect him to live on that? :lol:

Of course, his salaries go farther. Doesn't he represent himself, without an agent? I think he did at one time.

I'm sure he doubled that in adverts, etc. He is doing juts fine.

RashanGary
06-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Hopefully he got his pants taxed off and spent the rest :)

Lurker64
06-24-2008, 04:15 PM

And none of that had to do with coaching? Tice was a pathetic coach who squandered what was a reasonably talented roster, and allowed the team to become an undisciplined and rowdy lot.

Tice certainly did more with that particular bunch of guys than Childress did, since Secret Squirrel inherited essentially the same roster that Tice had when he got fired and immediately put up an inferior record despite being a "genius" replacing a "goofball."

Childress didn't even start to succeed in Minnesota until he got a more talented roster than Tice ever had and a legitimate superstar in AP.

red
06-24-2008, 04:16 PM

Culpepper certainly has flaws in his game...but in terms of being a QB, he's clearly more talented than Leftwich.

he also had tice the year before, when he had moss when he had a huge year. and the year before, when he also had a good year.

and the year before, when he had another horrible year

i don't see how you can blame tice who was in his 4th year as coach after daunte had two good years with him

we saw last year just how much moss can improve a qb. and last year he did it with one of the best ever

Tony Oday
06-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Moss made Culpepper...Moss could have made TJ Rubly!

The Leaper
06-25-2008, 01:48 PM
we saw last year just how much moss can improve a qb.

Funny. I don't remember who the QBs were in Oakland when Randy was there.

MJZiggy
06-25-2008, 06:40 PM
we saw last year just how much moss can improve a qb.

Funny. I don't remember who the QBs were in Oakland when Randy was there.

And I didn't realize how badly Brady sucked before Moss arrived.

red
06-25-2008, 08:05 PM
brady didn't cruch passing records before moss. brady threw for about 1000 more yards then he averaged the previous 5 years without moss. almost doubled his td production, he never threw more then 30 in one season, he had 50 last year. and almost cut his int's in half. moss took a very good qb and made him look like the most prolific qb ever

and for some reason the raiders had absolutely no clue how to use moss, or else they didn't have a qb that could throw the deep ball

either way, they didn't try to use moss the way the queens and pats did. they didn't use him as a deep threat

HarveyWallbangers
06-25-2008, 08:39 PM
brady didn't cruch passing records before moss. brady threw for about 1000 more yards then he averaged the previous 5 years without moss. almost doubled his td production, he never threw more then 30 in one season, he had 50 last year. and almost cut his int's in half. moss took a very good qb and made him look like the most prolific qb ever

and for some reason the raiders had absolutely no clue how to use moss, or else they didn't have a qb that could throw the deep ball

either way, they didn't try to use moss the way the queens and pats did. they didn't use him as a deep threat

How about we split the difference and say Culpepper was decent in his prime (before his brutal knee injury)? Sure, he had a bad handful of games after Moss left, but it was a small sample size. He also had a ton of pressure on him those first several games. Culpepper put up great numbers over about a 3 year stretch. It wasn't all Moss. Of course, he's the type of QB that the scheme has to fit his style, but you could say that about most QBs.

twoseven
06-26-2008, 04:47 AM
Harv brings up a great point. Before the triple knee explosion, DC was apt to pull the ball in a run for 20-30-40 yards up the field at any time if the pocket collapsed or his WRs were covered. How apt were any defenses to try and blitz the guy? He burned plenty with his speed and strength. Used to be if they got inside the ten you knew Culpepper could run in for 6 almost at will. He was a real bitch to gameplan against when he could still run. As soon as his legs were taken away from him and he was forced to become a pocket passer his true passing ability (or lack thereof) became more apparent and he looked very average. Toss in his uncanny ability to fumble the ball without being touched due to his his baby hands and you had a pretty average to below average QB at times.