PDA

View Full Version : Door County cherry crop completely destroyed

Patler
06-24-2008, 05:50 AM
Cherries are a big business in the area of Door County WI. The crop has been over 98% destroyed, not by this years floods but by last summer's drought and the brutal winter weather this year. Interesting article:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=765155

oregonpackfan
06-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Cherries may in short supply the whole country over.

Here in Oregon, this year's cherry crop in Hood River and Wasco Counties is stunted due to a very cool spring season.

Last weekend, my family visited my mother-in-law in The Dalles, OR. She literally lives next door to a cherry orchard. The cherries are normally being hand picked this time of the year. Many of the cherries were still green and some trees had cherries that were already ruined.

Freak Out
06-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Cherries may in short supply the whole country over.

Here in Oregon, this year's cherry crop in Hood River and Wasco Counties is stunted due to a very cool spring season.

Last weekend, my family visited my mother-in-law in The Dalles, OR. She literally lives next door to a cherry orchard. The cherries are normally being hand picked this time of the year. Many of the cherries were still green and some trees had cherries that were already ruined.

A long time family friend owns a a few cherry orchards around Kaiser/Salem and they are also going to have a much lower yield than normal.

Scott Campbell
06-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Paid $1.99/lb. on sale here once this year, and Costco has them for $3/lb.

Freak Out
06-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Paid $1.99/lb. on sale here once this year, and Costco has them for $3/lb.

Ugh.....I won't tell you what I have to pay in Alaska.

Little Whiskey
06-25-2008, 04:20 PM
I've got a bunch of cherries over here. Matter of fact I'm spitting out a seed right now. maybe I ought to pack some up and bring them to WI to sell on the black market

Tyrone Bigguns
06-25-2008, 04:23 PM
As long as Cherry Garcia prices remain steady...Ty is cool.

MJZiggy
06-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Oh. Right. I better stock up just in case...

Tyrone Bigguns
06-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Oh. Right. I better stock up just in case...

I've never seen it, but do they make anything besides pints?

MJZiggy
06-25-2008, 08:47 PM
I think if you go into the store you might be able to get it in quarts. There's a Ben & Jerry's on my way to the metro (good thing I'm always in a hurry or my ass would be...well...normal sized but still) I'll take a peek in the freezer. I do know they make individual servings. (I always thought a pint was an individual serving...)

Harlan Huckleby
06-25-2008, 08:49 PM
I think if you go into the store you might be able to get it in quarts.

It depends on the brand. I know the Jolly Green Giant comes in quarts.

edit: you're talking about ice cream, never mind, doesn't quite work.

Ben & Jerry come in quarts?

MJZiggy
06-25-2008, 08:52 PM
:roll:

Tyrone Bigguns
06-25-2008, 09:15 PM
I think if you go into the store you might be able to get it in quarts. There's a Ben & Jerry's on my way to the metro (good thing I'm always in a hurry or my ass would be...well...normal sized but still) I'll take a peek in the freezer. I do know they make individual servings. (I always thought a pint was an individual serving...)

Wow. Didn't even know we had some in sdale..awesome.

Pint..individual serving? Yikes...maybe while enjoying a good cry and watching the notebook...but, that is prolly like 8 servings.

Just checked out the flavor graveyard...wow, never even got to try some of them...guess the boys in marketing werent' so bright...Economic Crunch...yikes, i see that and say to myself...times are tight..i'll buy some lower priced ice cream.