PDA

View Full Version : Saints trade Sullivan for wide receiver

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Sullivan was picked sixth overall just to years, he must still have some potential. He could have been a great addition to the team. The only question is what must we have given for him and would it be worth it with all the young DT's on the team?

Saints trade Sullivan for wide receiver
Story Tools:
Print Email Blog This Subscribe
Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
Posted: 1 day ago

Just prior to the 2003 NFL draft, the New Orleans Saints traded a pair of first-round picks so they could move up and select Georgia defensive tackle Johnathan Sullivan with the sixth overall pick.

Three years later, the Saints are sending Sullivan packing.
FOXSports.com has learned that New Orleans has traded Sullivan to the New England Patriots for wide receiver Bethel Johnson.

Sullivan quickly fell out of favor with new Saints head coach Sean Payton because he didn't show up on time to recent minicamp meetings.

Last season, Sullivan played in 15 games for the Saints, making 29 tackles.

Johnson appeared in 11 games for the Patriots in 2005, making just four catches for 67 yards and one touchdown.

Deputy Nutz
06-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Johnson was injured for most of the season.

It is a pretty good trade for both team.

KYPack
06-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Another ringing endorsement for "trading up".

:evil:

The Leaper
06-07-2006, 11:09 AM
That trade is a steal for the Patriots. In New England, I doubt Sullivan will be late to any meetings. He will have a coaching staff and players around him demanding excellence.

Bethel Johnson will never be more than a #3 WR at best. Sullivan still has potential to be a very good player if he straightens up. A team with solid veteran leadership might be the cure.

Travbrew
06-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Oh man, I thought this was a thread about JT O'sullivan!!! Whatever happened to him? What a bold move by Shermie in acquiring him.

K-town
06-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Oh man, I thought this was a thread about JT O'sullivan!!! Whatever happened to him? What a bold move by Shermie in acquiring him.

You can confirm this with Rastak, but I believe he's now the 2nd or 3rd string QB for Minnesota.
Hee-hee.

Travbrew
06-07-2006, 01:44 PM
AWESOME!!!!
I think you're right. That put a BIG smile on my face!

Fritz
06-07-2006, 01:49 PM
I'll second the notion that here's another shining example of what happens when a general manager is so sure that he's found the next Big Thing that he's willing to trade the sun, earth, and moon to get the guy.

That's why TT is smart: he doesn't fall in love with a guy, contrary to what APB says.

Travbrew
06-07-2006, 01:53 PM
I'll second the notion that here's another shining example of what happens when a general manager is so sure that he's found the next Big Thing that he's willing to trade the sun, earth, and moon to get the guy.

That's why TT is smart: he doesn't fall in love with a guy, contrary to what APB says.

Bingo.

Guiness
06-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Saw that as well - didn't know the back story though about trading up for him. I know the whole thing about the current coaching staff not having drafted him, but he must've really rotted to let him go.

I agree that he might do well in NE. Not for the same reason others mentioned however - I think being behind a couple of guys, and fighting for minutes, instead of being 'the man' might do him some good.

Wasn't Kendrick Allen with the Saints last year as well? Do they have ANY returning DT's? Sherman was getting up to DT size at the end of last season. Maybe he can start.

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-07-2006, 05:35 PM
i also think the pats got a good deal, plus Sullivan is only 24.

Bretsky
06-07-2006, 06:37 PM
i also think the pats got a good deal, plus Sullivan is only 24.

WONDER IF we could have traded Ferguson for Sullivan ?

Is Ferguson a better prospect than Bethel Johnson ?????

Prolly not.

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-07-2006, 06:42 PM
ferguson has accomplished more than johnson by far, so i think they may have done it. but i still like ferguson and would rather have him instead of Sullivan.

Bretsky
06-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Would be curious as to other views; I'd say I've witnessed Fergy fail for several straight years now. The last two years everyone said "this is Fergy's make or break year"...one more year....and here many again say

One more year

Bethel Johnson; I can't remember where he was drafted, but I'd surely think he has more upside than Robert Ferguson......who will probably show a flash or two of greatness in the preseason.......enough to make the team...........and then disappoint again.

Bossman641
06-07-2006, 06:55 PM
At this point I'm pretty sure I'd take Bethel Johnson over Ferguson.

How many years has Fergy's rallying call been "One more year"?

Bretsky
06-07-2006, 07:15 PM
At this point I'm pretty sure I'd take Bethel Johnson over Ferguson.

How many years has Fergy's rallying call been "One more year"?

He got a free pass his first year as he was the only player drafted in the top 2 rounds to NOT be active for a game through 10 games due to his immaturity and lack of development. At that point I'm sure most of us were baffled with WTF type of views. He was so bad we drafted another WR in round one of the following year in Javon Walker. I've always wondered what would have happened if Green Bay would have selected Chris Chambers in 2001; it's very possible they would have then drafted Ed Reed in 2002 instead of Walker.

Year two he showed some flashes, but was clearly not ready.

The past three years fans and media started babbling this is the year...aka..one more year......

And now we're in the fourth year of the Fergy tease babble.

Note: SOMEWHERE in the middle of the one more year thoughts Mike Sherman took some terrible drugs and decided to pay this guy like an established WR

retailguy
06-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Would be curious as to other views; I'd say I've witnessed Fergy fail for several straight years now. The last two years everyone said "this is Fergy's make or break year"...one more year....and here many again say

One more year

Bethel Johnson; I can't remember where he was drafted, but I'd surely think he has more upside than Robert Ferguson......who will probably show a flash or two of greatness in the preseason.......enough to make the team...........and then disappoint again.

Eeyore! Is that you, Eeyore! My how I've missed you. I miss your happy smile and your loving outlook on life.... :mrgreen:

Ferguson is always going to be what he is, a perennial disapointment. We'll get 25-30 catches out of him, and some highlight reels for ESPN of him pulling his arms back in at the last minute. Then, the next play he'll catch a 70 yard bomb, only to be called offsides on the next play.... Maybe, he'll change his name to "Javon". I think 84 is probably available for a few bucks. Fergie needs an "extreme makeover". Javon Ferguson... Hmmm, wonder if Drew Rosenhaus would take that call?

Eeyore, your mother says it is time to come inside before it rains on you. :wink:

Travbrew
06-08-2006, 11:59 AM
I've always wondered what would have happened if Green Bay would have selected Chris Chambers in 2001; it's very possible they would have then drafted Ed Reed in 2002 instead of Walker.

Bretsky,
I ask myself the same question every year. I didn't ask myself about Ed Reed though. I always thought how sweet it would've been to have Chambers and Walker, with DD in the slot. DAMN!!!