PDA

View Full Version : Don Imus vs Pac-man

packers11
06-24-2008, 12:02 PM
pft.com

IMUS AT IT AGAIN
Posted by Mike Florio on June 23, 2008, 1:31 p.m.
Less than 15 months after losing his gig on WFAN and MSNBC for making racially charged comments regarding the Rutgers women’s basketball team, radio icon Don Imus has danced dangerously close to, and arguably over, the line again.

On Monday, Imus had the following exchange with Warner Wolf:

Wolf: “Defensive back Adam ‘Pacman’ Jones, recently signed by the Cowboys. Here’s a guy suspended all of 2007 following a shooting in a Vegas night club.”

Imus: “Well, stuff happens. You’re in a night club, for God’s sake. What do you think’s gonna happen in a night club? People are drinking, they’re doing drugs. There are women there, and people have guns. So, there, go ahead.”

Wolf: “He’s also been arrested six times since being drafted by Tennessee in 2005.”

Imus: “What color is he?”

Wolf: “He’s African-American.”

Imus: “Well, there you go. Now we know.”

Last time around, the comments represented a partial effort at humor. This time around, it was a matter-of-fact statement, with no chuckles, yuks, tee-hees, or ha’s. As we see it, if the comment wasn’t overtly and blatantly racist, then what the hell was it?

Maybe we’re wrong on this one. Even so, it was nothing short of stoopid to fly so close to the flame that already burned him once.

Here’s the audio. PFT Planet, what say you about this one?

UPDATE: A few readers have suggested that Imus was referring to a belief that African-Americans are more likely to be arrested because of police profiling. Reading the transcript might possibly cause a reasonable person to perhaps think that; listening to the audio tends to (in our opinion) rule out any positive spin that could be placed on this one. Besides, if Imus was trying to make a broader social comment regarding the question of whether black men are more likely to be arrested because of their race, he needs to offer up something more substantive than, “There you go. Now we know.” Especially in light of the Rutgers thing.

packers11
06-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Adam Jones says he was offended by WABC radio talkshow host Don Imus' comments about him on Monday.

Imus claims he was being sarcastic after asking what Jones' race was in a discussion of his six arrests, then saying, "Well there you go." Jones replied, "Obviously Mr. Imus has problems with African-Americans. I will pray for him." You know you've got problems when Pacman Jones is praying for you. :lol:

Source: Dallas Morning News

bobblehead
06-24-2008, 12:17 PM
I was more shocked that this idiot got a contract again than by any shock jock shit he says...but hey, there must be a market for this moron. To be honest, I have never had any use for shock jocks and I don't "get it".

This is america, he has a right to be a fool, but I have the right to ignore him and guys like him.

oregonpackfan
06-24-2008, 03:45 PM
I think "shock jocks" are more likely to be hired than the well-mannered, demure radio announcers. Shock jocks bring in more listeners and more sponsors.

Oscar
06-24-2008, 04:20 PM
I was more shocked that this idiot got a contract again than by any shock jock shit he says...but hey, there must be a market for this moron. To be honest, I have never had any use for shock jocks and I don't "get it".

This is america, he has a right to be a fool, but I have the right to ignore him and guys like him.

Which Idiot getting a contract??? That seems to me to be the real question.. The moron that talks on the radio..Or the moron that has been suspended by the NFL and somehow got back in... :lol: :lol:

sheepshead
06-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Isn't it amazing how it's the liberals that are continually concerned about the color of a guys skin, who he talks to when he hits his knees or who he sleeps with? Look also at Barry OBummers speech yesterday and of course Rev. Al had a mic in front of him all day. These people are obsessed and we're the intolerant ones. Haaa

texaspackerbacker
06-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Scratch the surface of Don Imus, and I bet you find a liberal at heart. He reeks of it.

sheepshead
06-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Scratch the surface of Don Imus, and I bet you find a liberal at heart. He reeks of it.

Huh?? of course he is-he makes no bones about it--that's my point.

Little Whiskey
06-25-2008, 04:25 PM
His best line is when he is trying to defend himself.

"I mean there's no reason to arrest this kid six times"

oh really. I like that if you get arrested once you should be free to do what ever the hell you like!!

sheepshead
06-26-2008, 05:56 AM
Isn't it amazing how it's the liberals that are continually concerned about the color of a guys skin, who he talks to when he hits his knees or who he sleeps with? Look also at Barry OBummers speech yesterday and of course Rev. Al had a mic in front of him all day. These people are obsessed and we're the intolerant ones. Haaa

See Nader, Ralph.