PDA

View Full Version : Tom Brokaw's book

oregonpackfan
06-24-2008, 05:20 PM
I just finished reading Tom Brokaw's book A Long Way From Home: Growing Up In The American Heartland. It is an autobiography of his upbringing in small town South Dakota up to, and including, the age of 22. I enjoyed it very much and recommend you read it.

Brokaw has written several other books including The Greatest Generation(one of my all-time favorites), The Greatest Generation Speaks, and An Album of Memories.

He has won every major award in broadcast journalism including two DuPonts, a Peabody Award, and several Emmys.

A previous thread dealt with who would take over for the deceased Tim Russert in the program "Meet The Press." As many of you know, Tom Brokaw has agreed to be the temporary host of that program until a permanent replacement has been found. His selection as temporary host was a wise choice, IMO.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2008, 05:26 PM
How soon before he is dead and we can rejoice?

packinpatland
06-24-2008, 05:35 PM
I just finished reading Tom Brokaw's book A Long Way From Home: Growing Up In The American Heartland. It is an autobiography of his upbringing in small town South Dakota up to, and including, the age of 22. I enjoyed it very much and recommend you read it.

Brokaw has written several other books including The Greatest Generation(one of my all-time favorites), The Greatest Generation Speaks, and An Album of Memories.

He has won every major award in broadcast journalism including two DuPonts, a Peabody Award, and several Emmys.

A previous thread dealt with who would take over for the deceased Tim Russert in the program "Meet The Press." As many of you know, Tom Brokaw has agreed to be the temporary host of that program until a permanent replacement has been found. His selection as temporary host was a wise choice, IMO.

I whole heartedly agree. He's a remarkable man...........and that would be difficult to dispute.

BallHawk
06-24-2008, 05:47 PM
He's a remarkable man...........and that would be difficult to dispute.

Enter Tex, Stage Right.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2008, 05:49 PM

Enter Tex, Stage Right.

Remarkable in his ability to mislead the american public and destroy our country.

BallHawk
06-24-2008, 05:55 PM

Enter Tex, Stage Right.

Remarkable in his ability to mislead the american public and destroy our country.

You've got it down, Ty.

Do you do weddings? Birthdays? Bar Mitzvahs?

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2008, 06:13 PM

Enter Tex, Stage Right.

You've got it down, Ty.

Do you do weddings? Birthdays? Bar Mitzvahs?

Ty will do weddings and birthdays..but, only for good, normal christians. Not for jews, dot heads, rag heads...or any other persons that are destoying our country.

They are free to live here, but i don't have to like them. They just gotta know their place.

packinpatland
06-24-2008, 06:33 PM

Enter Tex, Stage Right.

Can you give specific examples...........no generalities. Specific incidences.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2008, 06:38 PM

Enter Tex, Stage Right.

Everything that comes out of his liberal mouth is misleading..and leads to the destruction...oh, i can't keep it up.

Way to ruin my parody!

Bet you are a hoot at parties. :roll:

MJZiggy
06-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Actually, she is.

packinpatland
06-24-2008, 06:43 PM

Enter Tex, Stage Right.

Everything that comes out of his liberal mouth is misleading..and leads to the destruction...oh, i can't keep it up.

That's too funny :laugh: Way to ruin my parody!

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2008, 06:46 PM

Enter Tex, Stage Right.

What exactly makes it "too funny."

I'm still trying to figure out how you could actually believe that Tyrone was talking like Tex.

Joemailman
06-24-2008, 07:10 PM

Enter Tex, Stage Right.

Actually, I think it goes like this:

t is his sick damned kind who have done more to hurt this country than any politician, even left wing, as he came with the guise of objectivity and lack of bias. May he rot in hell for that!

packinpatland
06-24-2008, 07:27 PM

Enter Tex, Stage Right.

I'm still trying to figure out how you could actually believe that Tyrone was talking like Tex.

You got me Ty.......you're just too complicated for some simple minds to figure out.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2008, 07:28 PM

Enter Tex, Stage Right.

Actually, I think it goes like this:

t is his sick damned kind who have done more to hurt this country than any politician, even left wing, as he came with the guise of objectivity and lack of bias. May he rot in hell for that!

I bow to the new master!!

packinpatland
06-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Joemailman

:bclap:

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2008, 07:40 PM

Enter Tex, Stage Right.

You got me Ty.......you're just too complicated for some simple minds to figure out.

I thought Ballhawk sayin..i had it down..woulda clued you in.

But, Ty himself is a parody...so Ty doin a parody of Tex...i think i've confused myself.

Who am i really?

"Oh, I've been to Niece and the Isle of Greece while I've sipped champagne on a yacht
I've moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo and showed 'em what I've got
I've been undressed by kings and I've seen some things that a crack addict ain't supposed to see
I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me"

BallHawk
06-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Quote confusion there has been. There's nothing more confusing than somebody writing their own comment in somebody else's quote box.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Quote confusion there has been. There's nothing more confusing than somebody writing their own comment in somebody else's quote box.

Well, she bolded it and used an emoticon.

You can't constrain her ballhawk..you and your conservative rules!!

BallHawk
06-24-2008, 08:15 PM

Well, she bolded it and used an emoticon.

You can't constrain her ballhawk..you and your conservative rules!!

I'm turning this place communist. Screw Mad and his democratic ways. It's communism all the way.

I shall call myself...

Pol Pack.

:rs:

Joemailman
06-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Hope I didn't confuse anyone by using Tex's quote without a quotation box. Can I be banned for plagiarism? :shock:

Tyrone Bigguns
06-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Hope I didn't confuse anyone by using Tex's quote without a quotation box. Can I be banned for plagiarism? :shock:

Hack. Typical liberal...can't think for yourself. :oops:

Mine was all original material.

packinpatland
06-24-2008, 09:15 PM

Hack. Typical liberal...can't think for yourself. :oops:

Mine was all original material.

"I'm still trying to figure out how you could actually believe that Tyrone was talking like Tex."

Original???? :wink:

oregonpackfan
06-25-2008, 12:06 AM
And to think this whole thread started about my recommending a book about a noted broadcast journalist from Yankton, South Dakota... :shock:

FavreChild
06-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Yankton, South Dakota

Aww, I miss Deadwood.