PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Take By Hunter at ESPN

Packnut
06-26-2008, 08:06 AM
I can keep one of the following players in my keeper league: Andre Johnson, Tony Romo or Ryan Grant. I would prefer to draft a quarterback such as David Garrard in the middle rounds and add another quarterback like Matt Schaub a few rounds later, but I'm concerned that Grant is a one-year wonder. Plus, with Brett Favre retiring and the Packers' reluctance to give Grant a long-term contract, I'm worried Grant might not produce the numbers he did a year ago. Who should I keep?
Blake Guettler

Dave: I actually think the opposite way about Ryan Grant. The Packers don't want to upset their new star running back, so they're going to set him up with a new contract. It's not that they're reluctant to offer him a deal, but more than likely because management just can't decide what he's worth. I expect to see a new deal in place shortly, well before the start of the season.

Meanwhile, with Favre out of the picture, the Packers are going to rely more heavily on Grant to carry a substantial workload. He'll get more touches, especially during red zone situations, which will lead to more scoring opportunities. A good passing game will relieve pressure off the running game in most instances, so the question arises as to how well Aaron Rodgers will perform as the Packers' new starting quarterback. Fantasy owners are going to underestimate him going into their drafts, not realizing the impact that Favre had as a mentor to the 24-year-old Rodgers. There are obvious signs pointing to an increase in production from Grant with a full slate of games under his belt. Grant, Rodgers and the entire Packers offense is going to surprise a lot of folks in 2008, so I'd keep Grant. Anytime I have similar-value players at quarterback, running back and wide receiver, I'm going with the RB nine times out of 10

Packnut
06-26-2008, 08:20 AM
I agree with him on this one. I never in my wildest dreams ever thought I would say this, but I actually expect better offensive numbers this season with Rodgers than last season with Favre.

First, Grant has some experience now and he can only get better. The o-line has another year of playing together which is in-valuable. Jennings enters his 3rd year which we all know is the breakout year of a good WC WR.

Jones should show the same kind of improvment in year 2 that Jennings did. Nelson will surprise everyone (except me) with his rookie season.

Our offense was a one trick pony last season at TE. With Humphrey and Finley in the mix, it's only logical to expect more production.

I also expect McCarthy to have a breakout season as well. This is year 3 for him also and while he's had his growing pains, he runs a very solid WC offense that even Walsh would be impressed with. Look for a few new wrinkles from MM.

There really are not any glaring holes or weakness on this offense. There is some depth at the usual injury positions like WR and RB. Of course the only unknown variable is will Rodgers stay healthy? If he does, this will be a top 5 offense IMO.

The Leaper
06-26-2008, 09:39 AM
I don't expect better offensive numbers...especially from a fantasy football point of view. Rodgers will not put up numbers as good as Favre's 2007 totals. With the plethora of WR/TE targets, don't expect any individual to post crazy numbers either.

I do expect the offense to be just as productive as last year...but that will be due to the fact that there will be a balanced effort around Rodgers that prevents defenses from focusing on any one aspect to take away.

Grant obviously is the one guy who could see his numbers improve significantly...since he has a full season to accumulate stats instead of half of one. McCarthy is going to spread the field a lot...and give Grant room to run inside. He's going to continue to bust out some big gainers and should post 1500 yards rushing if he stays healthy. Typically, the loss of Favre would mean Grant would become a huge focus for the defense...but with the weapons Green Bay has at receiver, no defense can afford to play 8 in the box and make Green Bay beat them through the air unless they want to get torched.

Guiness
06-26-2008, 11:54 AM
GB's offense is going to be an enigma this season. I certainly wouldn't want to be a betting man trying to figure it out.

It's tough to imagine that they'll put up better overall numbers than last season...but as long as Rodgers can get the ball out, they should! I agree with you Packnut, looking at the individual positions, almost all could see an increase of production, with the least likely being TE - but even that's promising. And you left out FB and QB rushing. I think Hall will see the ball a bit more, and we'll see some scrambling yards from Rodgers.

My guess is that overall you'll see more from the RB, with Grant being there from Day 1, and a bit of a drop from the WR position. Not because of a drop-off in talent, more because the ball won't be going to them as much. If Grant gets the 1500yds you think he will, I doubt any of our receivers will go over 1000.

Nelson could be a factor, but I think he'll get limited opportunities, because any balls he gets would have to be less balls to Jennings and Driver, and Jones is going to see some of those as well. And what happens to Ruvell and his TD catches from last year???

Packnut
06-26-2008, 12:36 PM
GB's offense is going to be an enigma this season. I certainly wouldn't want to be a betting man trying to figure it out.

It's tough to imagine that they'll put up better overall numbers than last season...but as long as Rodgers can get the ball out, they should! I agree with you Packnut, looking at the individual positions, almost all could see an increase of production, with the least likely being TE - but even that's promising. And you left out FB and QB rushing. I think Hall will see the ball a bit more, and we'll see some scrambling yards from Rodgers.

My guess is that overall you'll see more from the RB, with Grant being there from Day 1, and a bit of a drop from the WR position. Not because of a drop-off in talent, more because the ball won't be going to them as much. If Grant gets the 1500yds you think he will, I doubt any of our receivers will go over 1000.

Nelson could be a factor, but I think he'll get limited opportunities, because any balls he gets would have to be less balls to Jennings and Driver, and Jones is going to see some of those as well. And what happens to Ruvell and his TD catches from last year???

Ruvell will get his catches in the 5 wide set! :lol:

Bretsky
06-26-2008, 04:34 PM
I agree with him on this one. I never in my wildest dreams ever thought I would say this, but I actually expect better offensive numbers this season with Rodgers than last season with Favre.

OK, this verifies everything. Who are you and where did Packnut go ????

KYPack
06-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Hand me the pitcher. Part of me believes all this stuff.

I'm taking a big glug, WTF, it's June, right?

Packnut
06-26-2008, 04:54 PM

Same guy, same logical thought process. Hell, I don't know. Just got a feeling it's gonna be one helluva season for the beloved green and gold. :lol:

Packnut
06-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Hand me the pitcher. Part of me believes all this stuff.

I'm taking a big glug, WTF, it's June, right?

Yep, nothing better than green and gold kool-aid in June. :lol:

Bretsky
06-26-2008, 04:57 PM

Same guy, same logical thought process. Hell, I don't know. Just got a feeling it's gonna be one helluva season for the beloved green and gold. :lol:

Well dammit you've dumped your bad vodka into my cup
:!:
To have a turnaround like you have clearly you are sleeping with two hot chicks at the same time :lol:

I don't see GB making a title run so I'm pretty unemotional about this season. I'll support TT in whatever he does or does not do in this period of transition.

HarveyWallbangers
06-26-2008, 05:02 PM
I don't see GB making a title run so I'm pretty unemotional about this season. I'll support TT in whatever he does or does not do in this period of transition.

What more could you have asked from the GM to put the team in a better position post-Favre? I guess the question is whether anything would have made you expect a title run the year after Favre retired?

Packnut
06-26-2008, 05:09 PM

Well dammit you've dumped your bad vodka into my cup
:!:
To have a turnaround like you have clearly you are sleeping with two hot chicks at the same time :lol:

Well, there is this hot bartender named Michelle and.......well that is a story for another place and another time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though. No one in the NFC has gotten much better. Dallas worries me, but I'm counting on Jessica and her dad to disrupt Tony's life. Owens is due for some kind of meltdown and their coach knows this is a must play-off win year for him which equals a ton of pressure.

I never thought the Giants were that good. It was just a fluke they won. Sometimes shit just happens with no reasonable explanation.

I know the obvious concern we all have is Rodgers and the question of him staying healthy. Other than that, what causes your "unemotional" state of mind? Talk to me my friend, I have all the answers that you seek........

Bretsky
06-26-2008, 06:20 PM

What more could you have asked from the GM to put the team in a better position post-Favre? I guess the question is whether anything would have made you expect a title run the year after Favre retired?

A well stated question; I don't see a title run the year after Favre retires so I'll just kick back and watch for a while now while the transition occurs